For the smooth operation of the chainsaw, its engine needs engine oil. It is the lubricant for the internal combustion engine that is responsible for the stable operation of the garden tool motor at high speeds, fuel consumption and the amount of processed gas emitted by the chainsaw. The selected oil can significantly extend the life of important components of the chain saw and make its use on the site more efficient and productive.
Two-stroke engine oil for chainsaws
Lubrication of engine parts will be able to ensure the correct operation of the factory mechanism only if it meets certain requirements.
- ability to lubricate parts. the composition should create a uniform oily film that will penetrate into the slightest grooves of the engine, as well as prevent friction of the internal combustion engine elements and the effect of high temperatures on them;
- smoke formation. high-quality grease should not smoke. If black smoke comes out of the muffler of the chainsaw, it means that the motor lubricant needs to be replaced;
- lack of soot. during operation, the oil should not form soot, which, settling on the walls of both the carburetor and the muffler, reduces their operability and service life;
- washing properties. while maintaining the engine, engine oil for a chainsaw should clean the walls and parts of the engine from accumulations of tar and dirt;
- the ability to work at extremely low and high temperatures. A high-quality product for lubricating engine parts should not freeze in the cold or boil in direct sunlight. It is best to choose formulations capable of operating in the range from 20 to 40 ⁰C;
- corrosion resistance. during operation of the chainsaw in conditions of high humidity, condensate will inevitably leak into the engine, which provokes the formation of rust. Engine oil should protect the engine components from rust. To do this, its composition should be appropriate additives.
An important role in the independent choice of lubricant for an engine is played by its type. Most often, mineral and synthetic oils can be found on sale. Means of the first type have a less balanced composition, in which most useful additives are absent. Synthetic oil is more popular as it protects engine parts more reliably from wear, corrosion and carbon deposits. That is why synthetic lubricant is more expensive than mineral.
There are a number of oils that are popular among both ordinary users and experienced loggers.
- Stihl HP. This grease shows high stability and reliable engine protection in all weather conditions. Oil well resists corrosion and practically does not smoke. The composition of the product includes all the additives necessary for the operation of the engine, including components that prevent the formation of soot;
- Stihl HP Ultra. is included in the group of oils of the highest category. The product has excellent lubricating properties, well resists wear and corrosion. It consists of ashless additives, which guarantees the absence of carbon deposits on the carburetor and muffler;
- Husqvarna HP. this brand’s product is distinguished by the presence of additives in its composition designed to compensate for the poor quality of gasoline used. Lubrication is carried out on a semi-synthetic basis and is highly resistant to corrosion.
When choosing oil for 2-stroke chainsaw engines, it is very important to study the shelf life in advance. It must be remembered that a high-quality lubricant will not stand idle for more than 5 years, even if it is stored in a closed container. Therefore, it is best to buy products with a shelf life of 2–4 years.
What kind of gasoline to fill in a chainsaw?
Gasoline plays no less important role than used motor oil. The thrust of the engine and the speed of its operation in different modes largely depend on the quality of the fuel. In addition, it is gasoline that affects the coordination of the work of the ignition system elements of a garden tool.
Different gasoline chain saws need to be refueled with gasoline with a different octane rating. Some manufacturers recommend using AI-80 gasoline for refueling, others. brands that produce newer gasoline saws, recommend preparing a fuel mixture based on 92nd gasoline.
In any case, the only thing that is required from the owner of the chainsaw is not to experiment with the octane rating of the fuel. If the manufacturer advises refueling the fuel tank of the chainsaw with only 92nd gasoline, then it is precisely this that needs to be filled. Otherwise, the owner of the saw risks damaging the cylinder-piston group of the engine and violating the factory carburetor settings.
Video: How to Breed Chainsaw Oil
Is it possible to pour 95th gasoline into a chainsaw?
This question is most often encountered by novice users of chainsaws. Quite often, they buy 95th gasoline instead of the 92nd recommended by the manufacturer, believing that the higher the octane number, the better the quality of the fuel.
This is actually not the case. The fact is that fuel of the 95th brand in terms of quality sometimes not only does not exceed, but also significantly inferior to the 92nd gasoline. This is due to the fact that the composition of AI-95 fuel is often “caught up” due to the introduction of various additives in it, designed to increase the octane number of gasoline.
In this regard, it is best to use gasoline exclusively AI-92 brand for refueling chainsaws. This will make it possible to prevent serious breakdowns of the chainsaw mechanisms and improve its operation in difficult operating conditions.
How to dilute gasoline with chainsaw oil?
In order for the household chain saw to last as long as possible without pouring a candle and deteriorating the carburetor, its owner must properly prepare a mixture of gasoline and oil. This rule must be observed constantly, since frequent violations in the proportion of fuel and oil will lead to a gradual increase in the wear of clutch parts and ignition of garden tools.
Prepare the fuel mixture for refueling the garden tool in the following order:
- First you need to pour the required amount of motor oil into a previously prepared container for the mixture;
- Then you need to fill in the tank with oil gasoline. At the same time, pouring all the fuel into the vessel at once is not necessary. only half of it will be enough;
- Next, you need to thoroughly mix the contents of the container;
- After the fuel mixture has a uniform shade, you need to add the second half of gasoline into it and shake the vessel sharply several times.
The prepared fuel mixture must be immediately poured into the tool tank and used. Otherwise, due to prolonged downtime, engine oil mixed with gasoline will lose the ability to lubricate engine parts.
The ratio of oil and gasoline for chainsaws
About how much motor oil needs to be diluted for 1 liter of gasoline, will tell the proprietary instruction manual for garden tools. In models of American, Japanese and Swedish production, the proportion of oil and gasoline for a chainsaw should be 1:40 or 1:50. This means that in 1 liter of pure gasoline you will need to dilute 25 and 20 ml of motor oil, respectively. In these cases, the gasoline mixture will be as balanced as possible and suitable for refueling the powerful engines that are equipped with most chainsaws of famous brands.
It is a little different to breed gasoline for a Chinese-made chainsaw. In the operating instructions for these models, their manufacturers indicate that the proportion of the components of the fuel mixture for their refueling should be 1 part gasoline to 25 parts of engine oil. This means that in 1 liter of fuel you will need to dilute 40 ml of oil. This difference between Chinese gasoline tools and the production technology of other countries is due to the fact that the distance between the cylinders and pistons is greater for garden tools made in China than for more expensive branded models. Accordingly, they need 2 times more oil for mixing in gasoline.
Which oil to use for chainsaw chains?
Information on which chain oil for a chainsaw is best can be found in the instruction manual of the model. However, not all owners of garden tools retain the manual for operating chainsaws. In such cases, when choosing an oil, you need to study its characteristics and the main requirements for lubrication.
The first thing you need to pay attention to is the adhesion property of the chain lubricant. During daily operation of the chainsaw at medium and maximum permissible speeds, the chain moves along the tire at a fairly high speed. Thus, oil that does not stand out with high adhesion will fly off the chain by inertia. As a result, only the upper part of the chain will be lubricated, while the lower part will work under the influence of increased friction.
Chainsaw chain lubrication oil must meet a number of other requirements.
- chain protection against corrosion. grease must repel moisture, which provokes the appearance of rust on the teeth and links of the headset;
- wear resistance. as a result of intensive use of garden tools, chain parts are subject to increased load, which leads to their premature wear. The use of high-quality lubricant will help prevent this;
- lack of soot. The oil selected for chain lubrication must not accumulate and dry on the chain elements. Over time, this leads to the formation of tubercles, which impede the rotation of the chain along the tire;
- ability to work in a wide range of temperatures. high-quality chain lubrication should not freeze during the first frosts and boil under the influence of high temperatures. The optimum range is from 15 to 40 ⁰C.
Most often, their owners use ForestPlus, SynthPlus and BioPlus compounds to lubricate chains of gasoline household saws. These oils have high stability, the ability to work in the most difficult weather conditions, as well as corrosion protection.
How to lubricate the needle bearing of a chainsaw?
To reduce the load on the tool sprocket and extend its life, a needle bearing is included in the equipment of this part. For its proper operation during heavy use of a chainsaw, the element must be regularly lubricated.
Stihl’s all-rounder is best suited for servicing needle bearings. It reliably protects the bearing from wear and corrosion, however, the price of this branded lubricant is quite high. To save money, Litol or Litol 24 products can be used to lubricate the bearing. They are distinguished by high viscosity, due to which they coat the bearing with a thin but strong oil film.
To apply the product, you need a syringe with a volume of 5 cm3. To lubricate the part, the contents of the syringe need to be squeezed out into a small hole located in the housing directly above the needle bearing.
If the lubrication of the element has not changed for a long time, then the part must be thoroughly washed before changing the oil. To do this, remove the right side of the chainsaw body and dismantle the bearing. Then the part will need to be placed in a container with clean gasoline. After 24 hours, the bearing will need to be removed from the vessel and thoroughly dried. At the end, the element must be installed in a regular place in the chainsaw.