STIHL Trimmer Line Replacement — Bump Feed
How to refill trimmer line in a lawn mower
Owners of trimmers, mainly beginners, get confused, bordering on panic, when it comes to the need to change cutting tools or line for a trimmer in the reel. Very often when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply cause it to fail, unaware that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening if you need to replace the tool, we recommend that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before inserting the trimmer line into the reel, switch off the brushcutter engine or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries that may occur if the cutting attachment accidentally starts rotating.
- Unscrew the brush head attached to the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be secured by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axle, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the mowing head. Note that the thread on the shaft is to the left. Therefore, turn the grass trimmer reel to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. The cap is most often locked in place with a latch. To remove it, you will need these locks sink into the body, pushing the edges of the cover. In case your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head that has a button on the bottom, disassemble the head must be done carefully, as you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when you remove the cover.
- Cut the necessary amount of fishing line. It is usually 5 meters long. Use a cord with the diameter indicated in the instruction manual of the tool. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum diameter of the line, as it will result in increased load on the engine and higher gasoline consumption.
- Find the center of the cord by folding it in half. You will have a loop.
- There are special grooves (there may be holes) inside the reel. Insert the line loop in this groove.
- Wind the trimmer line onto the spool by turning it counterclockwise. The cord should be tucked in as evenly as possible, the turns should lie without overlapping and with good tension. Once you have wound the line, leave about 20cm of free line left and secure it into the slots on the sides of the spool.
- Assemble the mowing head. Do not forget to insert the spring and washer (if fitted) before assembling the head finally. Insert the spool into the housing and thread the ends of the cord through the holes or eyelets.
- Put on the cover and fasten it with the catches.
- Screw the mowing head back onto the reducer shaft, also securing it with a screwdriver. Screw the grass trimmer reel to the left (counterclockwise). arrows).
Replace line in reel with 2 wires
It should be noted immediately that in a traditional gasoline mower, the line for the trimmer is loaded into the drum completely manually. Additionally, there are mowers with semi-automatic line threading. For semi-automatic spools, there are usually no questions, the operator simply needs to insert the line for the trimmer into the holes and wind its ends with a spool.
As a rule, professional lawn mowers, that is, models for frequent performance of a large amount of work, are equipped with the simplest drum, assuming manual winding of the fishing line. Thanks to a simple design, such reels acquire the highest level of reliability and durability.
- In the beginning it is necessary to stop the mower completely. If it is an electric model, it is necessary to remove the plug from the socket. If it is a cordless trimmer for grass, you need to disconnect the battery, of course, if it is removable.
- Next, disconnect the spindle, that is, the spool itself with a reel of fishing line. As a rule, a spindle is simply unscrewed, there are no additional locks or latches on it. Secure spindle position beforehand. There is a hole in the reel specifically for this purpose, which must be aligned with the hole in the shroud. Insert metal pins (nails, drills, etc) into the aligned holes.д.).
Note, the spool has a non-standard right-hand thread. Unscrew the spindle from left to right. This is done on purpose so that the spindle does not unscrew spontaneously during mowing.
- Disconnect the drum cover. It is held in place by a pair of latches. As a rule, to open the cover, you just need to squeeze the latches. If you can not squeeze the hooks with your fingers, you can use an impact screwdriver.
- Preparing the line for the trimmer. You need to cut the line for the trimmer and fold it in half. We bend the center of the line to make a good hook out of a rounded loop.
- Insert the loop into the special groove on the central partition.
- Wind the trimmer line so that the central divider divides the folded in half trimmer line into 2 separate channels. Usually the line for the trimmer needs to be wound counterclockwise to the spindle rotation. When winding line against the rotation there is a possibility of semi-automatic/automatic line feed.
Semi-automatic feeding is when you only need to press the push button to the ground to extend the line, while mowing. Automatic feeding, on the other hand, assumes independent line pulling with decreasing center of gravity of cutting tendrils.
Many reels are labeled with an arrow indicator. As it is clear, the line for the trimmer must be wound in the direction to which the arrow points. There may not be a marking on the reels where you have to feed the line manually when the brushcutter is fully stopped and unplugged.
Below is a video clip, the author of which clearly shows how to change the line for the trimmer on a gasoline lawnmower with a semi-automatic reel for 2 tendrils.
How to change trimmer line on a trimmer?
Grass trimmer line replacement with step-by-step instructions allows even an inexperienced in such matters lawn trimmer owner to perform rather complicated work.
However, before starting work on the replacement of the line on the trimmer, you must ensure the safety of the work
In particular, measures must be taken to protect against careless or unintentional activation of the lawnmower:
- prevent spontaneous start-up,
- remove the battery (if used),
- Place the tool on a comfortable place to work.
Grass trimmer line replacement work is convenient to perform when the mower is lying on the table and the master, who performs trimmer line replacement for grass, has an opportunity to step up to the tool from any side.
Grass trimmer head cover removal
In the first step of disassembly, remove the cover of the grass trimmer head. On the example of models of trimmers “Black and Decker” and others, to remove the cover is usually enough to apply some force to unscrew the latch-fixator, which are located on the side of the head body.
On some models of lawnmowers first provides for the dismantling of the grass trimmer head, for which a hexagon wrench included in the tool kit is used. The head is usually held by two or three screws, which can be accessed through the side holes in the back decorative cover.
The cover of the head, where the filament spool is installed, is usually held in place by a latch tongue. It’s enough to squeeze the latch with some effort and twist the cover slightly, after which the cover can be easily removed
At the moment of squeezing the locking tab, you need to slightly turn and lift the cover of the grass trimmer head to remove the winding reel.
Step Two: Removing the take-up reel (spool) of fishing line
The next step in the process is to remove the filament drum with fishing line from the inner area of the head. You need to turn the head with the open side to see the trimmer line and spool. On the side of the head find two recesses (eyelets), through which the line for the trimmer is led out.
How to wrap Nylon Blade for Makita Brush Cutter or Grass Timmer
Release the line for the trimmer from the holes by turning the reel. Then gently pull the spool out of the head area. The winding drum of some models is mounted on a spring. This point must be taken into account when performing the extraction operation.
Procedure for extracting the grass trimmer reel with fishing line from the inner area of the head: 1. head complete with reel; 2. extracting carefully with a slight axial turn; 3. extracted parts
The old line for the trimmer is completely removed from the reel. To perform the removal of the old grass trimmer line, you need to remove the fishing line from the hinges-locks and pull the free end. Use this method to remove all old spooling. The same process is repeated on the second section of the reel. It is recommended that the operator wear gloves when working.
How to remove the reel from the grass trimmer and remove the line for the trimmer
Initially, before you can tuck the trimmer fishing line into the grass trimmer reel, you need to remove it from there. The reel or spool is the device that is inside the mowing head, spool or reel. There are different kinds of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of changing the line on the spool is the same for all. The first thing to understand is how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the reel of fishing line out of it.
This is interesting!The harness can be replaced directly on the tool, but if you’re doing it for the first time, it’s still recommended to remove the head and learn the detailed winding process. Once the technology is mastered, replacement work can be performed on the trimmer trimmer or gasoline-powered brushcutter. The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down, and if necessary clean it from dirt. Grasp the cover locks (on the mowing head) symmetrically with two fingers of one hand. After pressing them in slightly, remove the cover from the drum
- Next remove the line reel from the reel shaft. It is mounted without any fasteners on the shaft, so it can be removed with just one hand
- The main part of the drum is fastened with a screw, which should be unscrewed with a screwdriver and a suitable bit
- to unscrew it, hold the base of the drum with one hand and use the other to unscrew it counter-clockwise using a screwdriver
- You can now disassemble it. To do this, do not pull it with all your might, but gently wiggle it sideways to slowly unhook it from the metal shaft on which the reel is seated
- When re-assembling, the head must be fitted with a square slotted head
This process is not difficult, and as you understand, there is no need to dismantle the whole head, if you know how to perform the replacement. Consider such nuances when disassembling:
- It is advisable to periodically remove the head to prevent corrosion of the threaded joint. If you never unscrew the screw, it can be difficult or, in some cases, impossible to unscrew it, if necessary
- If a screw has a square drive head, select a screwdriver or suitable size bit for unscrewing to avoid slipping on the head
- When reassembling the unit, the threaded seating should be treated with a lubricant such as solidol or machine oil
- If the facets on the screw have slipped off, you can use special tongs to unscrew it
- There are drums that do not require disassembly. To remove it take hold of the screw and rotate it clockwise in the opposite direction to the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
There are 3 types of the most popular trimmer heads:
Mechanical spool. it is a plastic or metal disk, in which in different ways fix one or more small sections of the line, due to which it is necessary to constantly manually change the line for the trimmer.
Here are the most popular models of these heads:
Despite the variety of models and differences in appearance, the coils of this type are designed and work on the same principle.
The base connects the other elements of the trimmer head to the brushcutter or electric mower through the threaded bushing fused into it, so each spool fits only that trimmer, the diameter of the gearbox shaft or the lower motor corresponds to the diameter of the bushing.
Inside the base is a spring that supports the bobbin, pushing the pressure part outward through the removable body.
the bobbin and housing have clamps that prevent the former from turning, but when the operator strikes the ground, the bobbin is disengaged from the clamps of the removable housing and freely rotates.
The removable housing has holes for the string, and they are located so that the line exit from the bobbin is noticeably higher, this ensures a reliable fixation of the line in the working position.
When the operator hits the ground with the pressure part, the bobbin enters the body and all the holes through which the line for the trimmer runs are aligned. The centrifugal force then pulls some of the wound string outward, and when the pressure on the pressure part disappears, the bobbin comes out of the housing and takes up its working position again.
Regardless of the model and manufacturer, all automatic reels are designed and work on the same principle.
They consist of the following parts:
A threaded bushing is soldered into the body of the base, and ratchet locks are installed on the inside surface, which allows the bobbin to rotate in one direction only. Inside the bobbin is a through channel designed to conduct the line. The cap is rigidly put on the bobbin, and shaped edges facilitate its rotation to wind the line.
There are 3 types of the most popular trimmer heads:
Mechanical spool. a plastic or metal disc, in which different ways to fix one or more small sections of fishing line, due to what it has to manually change the line for the trimmer constantly.
Here are the most popular models of such heads:
Despite the variety of models and differences in appearance, reels of this type are designed and work on the same principle.
The base connects the other elements of the trimmer head to the brushcutter or power trimmer through a threaded bushing fused into it, so each spool fits only that trimmer, the diameter of the gearbox shaft or the lower motor corresponds to the diameter of the bushing.
There is a spring inside the base that supports the bobbin, pushing the presser part outward through the removable housing.
The bobbin and bobbin case have retainers that prevent the former from turning, but when the operator strikes the presser part to the ground, the bobbin comes out of engagement with the retainers of the removable bobbin case and rotates freely.
In the removable body are made holes for a string, and they are located so that the output of the line from the bobbin is noticeably higher, it ensures a reliable fixation of the line in the working condition.
When the operator hits the ground with the bobbin, the sheave enters the sheave body and all the holes the trimmer line runs through are aligned. Centrifugal force then pulls some of the wound line outward, and when the pressure on the pressure part is relieved the bobbin is released from the housing and takes up its working position again.
Regardless of the model and manufacturer, all automatic reels are arranged and work on the same principle.
They consist of the following parts:
A threaded sleeve is soldered into the body of the base, and ratchet locks are installed on the inside surface, which allows the bobbin to rotate in one direction only. There is a through channel inside the bobbin for the line. Cap is set firmly on bobbin and curved edges make it easy to turn it to wind the line.
How to Change a Trimmer Line to a Trimmer Knife
Since the choice of trimmer for grass we looked at in the previous article, now we will tell you how to correctly fill the trimmer for grass with the line, and what is better to choose based on the criteria of work.
After you have purchased a trimmer for grass and began to use them intensively, at some point there will be a question of replacing the line, as this is the most wearing element in the tool, the grass trimmer saturated exploitation will lead to frequent substitution of expendable material.
How to change the line for trimmer on a gasoline mower on a disk
lawn mower How to choose a lawn mower??
Domestic and professional gasoline grass trimmers are becoming more and more popular every year due to their high performance and mobility. Unlike their electric counterparts, they are not tied to the power supply and can handle large areas.
If you have decided to buy a grass trimmer, you are probably faced with the problem of choosing. On the market of garden equipment there is a wide range of these devices, in which it is difficult for a non-professional to navigate. In this article we will tell you how to choose the right lawn mower.
As experienced gardeners advise, it is necessary to choose a lawn mower taking into account the amount of work to be done, the type of plants on the lawn and the peculiarities of maintenance of these tools. This is influenced by the following parameters:
Type of cutting mechanism.Before you choose a lawn mower, decide for what purpose you will use it. For mowing soft grass on the lawn, a tool equipped only with a fishing line will do.However, gardeners often have to deal with dry or hard grass. In that case, look at machines where the trimmer line can be replaced with a cutting blade.Some models have an interchangeable disc option. It will help to cope with branches and small growth in the garden.Remember that all cutting mechanisms are consumables. During the season they have to be replaced often. When choosing a lawn mower, check whether it is easy to install the blade and the line.
Power of the tool.The time and intensity of work depends on this parameter. Before choosing a lawn mower for dacha, assess the upcoming amount of work. Do not buy a powerful unit with a capacious tank to mow a small lawn. It should also be noted that the more powerful the motor, the greater the weight of the device. The optimum power trimmer for the grass. 600-900 watts.
Engine type.All gasoline models can be divided into two types: two-stroke and four-stroke. The former are the most common. A special mixture of gasoline and engine oil must be prepared for fueling.In a four-stroke engine, the fuel is poured directly into the tank. the oil is in a special reservoir, the crankcase. These models are more reliable and produce less noise. But at the same time they are more expensive and heavy. What type of mowers will be easier to use, easier to maintain and better to cope with the work of the plot on your site. prompt the experienced specialists of our online store.
The boom shape. Curved. Torque from the engine to the cutting mechanism in this trimmer is transmitted by a steel cable inside the boom. These tools have less power, but they are lighter. Direct. If performance is important, it is better to choose a straight boom shape. It can be solid or dismountable. If you plan to carry the machine around a lot, choose the second option.
Handle shape.When choosing a lawn mower, you should pay attention to the shape of the handle. They are available in T-, D-, and J-shaped handles. The latter are used for mowing tall grass. They are the safest. the operator holds the machine at a great distance. D-handled machines are more maneuverable. Tools with T-handle shape are used for working on open areas.
So let’s summarize. Choosing which mower to buy, answer the questions:
What cutting mechanism. a line for trimmer or a knife. will be needed to process your area? What level of power is needed? Curved or straight shape of the grass trimmer boom will be more comfortable when using and storing the tool?
If you find it difficult to answer these questions and choose the proper lawn mowing equipment, contact the consultants of our online store.
Advice can be obtained by phone: Rechnoy Vokzal 7 (495) 221-21-08Yugo-West 7 (495) 228-09-51
How to register ownership of a garden house
Bosch rotak-32 li-ion 36v 4 ah cordless lawnmower reviews
Planting tomatoes for seedlings in 2019 by the lunar calendar in the Moscow region
I can not participate in the discussion now. no free time. Back to. I will definitely give my opinion on the matter.
I certainly apologize, but this answer does not satisfy me. Maybe there are other options?
What kind of lines are there?
A common type of fishing line that fits virtually all types of spools is cord of round section. How to change a line for a trimmer in a mowing head, changing the line on a brushcutter. How to put a line for a trimmer in a STIHL mower.fs-38. How to change a line on a brushcutter. STIHL fs55 lawnmower. This is an ordinary line trimmer for line, applicable to mowing succulent grass, but cut dry grass with it will be much harder, and the more it can not cope with shrubs.
Usually, the cross section, which can mow young grass, does not exceed 1.6 mm. What compression should be? What in a trimmer how to repair the starter on a trimmer. The thicker the thread, the coarser the grass it can traverse.
There are lines with sharpened facets in the form of a star or a square, this option is more adapted to mow dry grass just by having a sharp edge, but the disadvantage is its greater wear and tear, and on the strength it concedes round cord.
There are lines with improved aerodynamics with appropriate dents, scales and notches, a similar product makes less noise, but use it only on benzokosa, since the output of such thread from the spool is difficult, using it in most cases with discs, which are inserted segments. How to change the line for a trimmer in any trimmer So, first unscrew the nozzle. Do it by rotating the drum to the right side. The disadvantage of such a product is its fragility.
In most cases, gasoline trimmers with engines over 1.5 liters.с. use a cord with an iron rope inside. How to disassemble the gearbox for the place of attachment or change the starter on the trimmer. Internet searches on the query “how to change the line for the trimmer how to change the line for trimmer on what is connected. Such cord is perfectly suited for mowing dry grass and small bushes. How to replace a trimmer line in a 220 trimmer. The presence of the core, has a positive effect on the durability of this material. The disadvantage of such cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the above-listed opponents.