First of all, to wind the line, you need to remove the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the trimmer. Specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and the type of product itself:
- Small electric trimmers with a working position of the motor and coil at the bottom, as a rule, have side buttons on both sides of the bobbin. When pressed at the same time, the upper part of the spool together with the inner content for winding the line is disconnected, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place so that the spring included in the structure does NOT jump out and does NOT get lost;
- Electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have spools with special lambs: in such designs, hold the spool in a stationary position with one hand, and with the other counterclockwise rotate the wing nut fixing the Bobbin on the bar. After disconnecting the nut, the entire bobbin is removed.
- Electric and gasoline trimmers with the ability to install a knife on a straight Bar (for example, Stihl trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To keep the rod stationary, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and, with slow rotation, such a mutual arrangement is achieved when the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is fixed. After that, the coil body is scrolled clockwise (with a left-hand thread) and removed from the trimmer.
For the second and third options, the coils, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. In the bobbins, a lamb is unscrewed from the lamb, in the coils, the latches are pressed from the latch and one part of the coil is released from the other. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, then it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
We wind the fishing line
Unhurriedly completed disassembly of the spool spool without losing its spare parts allows you to proceed to the main task. Winding the line into a reel. Technological features of the spool design and the number of working antennae determine the sequence of actions.
Coil with two working tendrils
In this type of spool, you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line, lying on the inside of the spool:
- One groove. Both tendrils are wound together in one groove;
- Two grooves. Each tendril is wound on an individual groove.
For both cases, a line with a length of 2-3 m is taken.In single-groove reels, the line is pulled into a through hole, its ends (antennae) are folded together and aligned, after which they are wound in the opposite direction of rotation of the bobbin onto the rod side. The inside arrow usually indicates the correct winding direction. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the fishing line are threaded through them or held with the fingers of the free hand, threaded through the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the spool is closed and attached to the trimmer bar.
The difference between winding the fishing line in double-groove spools is that initially a 2-5 m long line piece is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the fold loop is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both antennae of the fishing line are wound each along its own groove, fixing the antennae and assembling the coil is similar to the above-described option with one groove.
The first execution of this procedure, perhaps, will seem long and rather laborious, but with time and experience this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The following will clearly show you how to thread the line into the trimmer spool and wind it correctly. This operation is NOT complicated and, with some patience, will surely be crowned with success:
How to insert line into the trimmer spool? Instructions
The warranty production of the factory trimmer refueling will inevitably require line replacement. Having a very rough idea of how to thread the line into the trimmer reel on their own, beginners are reluctant to take up this business. However, with some skills, mastering this simple teaching does not present any difficulties, and the similar instruction presented below will make this process as easy as possible.
Coil with one working tendril
The simplest option and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- The dimensions of the spool and the length of the original factory winding determine the recommended length of the line for winding. 2.5 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the spool.
- The line is wound on the drum in the reverse rotation of the spool in the direction of the trimmer. As a rule, on the inside of the bobbin, an arrow indicates in which direction the winding is carried out.
- A small section of the line is left free to lead it out. It is fixed in a specialized groove on the inner side of the bobbin, designed to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin into working condition.
- The left end of the line is passed through the hole in the outer part of the reel.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and put on the trimmer bar.
Automatic line winding to a spool
There is a variety of coils in which the automatic mechanism winds itself. From the user, it is enough just to correctly fill the line. The fishing line is passed through a hole on the inner part of the body, its antennae without winding are passed through the hole on the outer body, the reel is assembled, and when the winding button is rotated, the fishing line inside is wound independently. It is impossible to make the winding wrong in such a spool: the mechanism itself will determine the correct direction, since it can only spin in one direction.
How to wind the line onto the Patriot trimmer reel?
Almost every beginner when using a trimmer is faced with the problem of changing the line. While changing your line is easy, you need to learn how to do it right. Changing the line with proper skill will not take more than five minutes. It’s enough just to constantly practice it. This article will look at changing line using Patriot trimmers as an example.
In order to change the line, you need to remove the old one (if it was).
Coil. This is the part of the trimmer structure that is located inside the mower head, drum or spool. Heads may vary depending on the manufacturer. But this article only covers Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer, described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head from dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, lift the mower head up and, grasping the casing, remove the special protective cover that is on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the drum. The reel can be easily removed even with one hand, because it is NOT fixed in any way inside the drum.
- The drum itself is bolted to the trim tabs. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is NOT fixed by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the spool out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the following instructions.
Installation of the spool and drum in their original place is performed according to the reverse algorithm.
Before threading the line, make sure you have purchased the correct thread for the trimmer. In the event that the string is not suitable, the fuel or energy consumption increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to replace the thread itself directly, you need to prepare a whine cut of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the whine, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the coil itself. If you cannot accurately determine the length, you can do the following: insert and wind the thread to such a state that the coil is fully charged (the level of the line will be compared with the protrusion in the sides of the coil). Necessary Make sure that the line is sitting flat in the reel.
The instructions for threading the line into the spool are described below.
- The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is longer than the other by 0.1-0.15 m.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled up to the larger one so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, you should maintain an offset of 0.15.
- Find the notch inside the coil baffle. Carefully pass the loop you made earlier into this slot.
- To continue working, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil. It should have an arrow on it.
- If the arrow-pointer could not be found, then it is quite possible that there is a Written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. Inspect the coil head. It has a direction indicator. However, this is the direction of movement of the coil. To get the winding direction, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to load the spool with line. It is worth noting that there are special guide grooves inside the coil. When wrapping whine, you must follow these grooves, otherwise you can damage the trimmer. At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
- When the user has wound almost the entire thread, take the short end (do not forget about the 0.15 protrusion) and pull it into the hole located in the wall of the spool. Now you need to repeat this action in the same way with the other end (on the other side).
- Place the reel itself in the head of the reel, before passing the line through the holes inside the drum.
- Now is the time to put the drum back in place. After that, you need to take the ends of the line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the lid back on (here you can safely make an effort, until you hear a characteristic click).
- Remained to complete cosmetic work. We need to see if the thread is too long. You can start the trimmer and check in practice if everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can cut it with scissors.
At least a line winding. A very simple task, many beginners can wind the line incorrectly. Below are the most common mistakes.
- Many people, when measuring the thread, think that 4 m. This is a lot. Because of this, people often measure less, and, accordingly, they do not have enough line. DO NOT be afraid to measure a lot, because you can always cut off the excess.
- In a rush, some people do not follow the threading grooves inside the spool and wind the thread randomly. This leads to take off line from a spool and may even cripple.
- For winding, use only the appropriate line. This error is the most common. You need to monitor not only the thickness and volume of the line, but also its type. You should NOT use the first line that comes across for wrapping, which will not meet the goals. For example, it is not necessary to use a thread on young grass if it is necessary to mow dead wood.
- Do not turn on the device in full winding and collecting. Although this is obvious, some people do this in order to check if everything is done correctly.
- In no case should you confuse the direction of refueling, as this will overload the engine, and it will soon come out of working condition.
How to wind line on a trimmer reel: key points
A gasoline or electric trimmer is an indispensable tool in the arsenal of a modern summer resident or owner of his own home.
Thanks to these garden devices, even a large garden plot can be mowed with ease. After purchasing this tool and performing several mows, many people think about how to properly wind the line on the trimmer reel. For an inexperienced user, the first operation to replace it will seem problematic and time-consuming, since the developers often do not fully reflect the instructions for replacing the fishing line in the operating manual.
Trimmer head with two tendrils
Double flute head
After removing the spool from the spool body, we determine the number of strands for winding the line (1 or 2). In principle, there is no difference between bobbins with one and two grooves, but if carelessly threading into the paired groove, there will be operational problems. Due to the likelihood of interlacing the adjacent line of the tool, a situation may arise when, after wear of the working antennae, it is impossible to remove new ones.
Regardless of the number of streams, a fishing line with a length of 1.5 to 3 meters is taken for refueling. Winding must be done in the opposite direction of rotation of the head, since winding in the direction of travel will lead to the fact that the line will not be removed from the reel. After the fishing line is tucked into the trimmer coil, the free ends (15-30 cm) are threaded into special holes. Next, we assemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check the operability. Do NOT worry if the ends of the two antennae are very different in size, because when you start the trimmer, the knife installed on the protection will cut off excess.
Preparation for winding the line
Before the winding process, it is necessary to remove the spool with line from the body. Depending on the manufacturer, power and type (electric or gasoline), there are three design types of trimmers:
- Compact Electric Trimmers.
Straight bar trimmer
This model provides the ability to install a knife. Removing the coil in such models is done by means of two keys recessed into the coil body. To mount the trimmer knife, it is necessary to align the hole of the reel and the rod, and then insert the device in the form of a steel pin (screwdriver, iron bar). After fixing the coil, the body can be easily unscrewed by hand clockwise.
Single Barber Trimmer Spool
Reel for single-barb lawn mowers
Many owners and experts note the ease of use and ease of refueling the bobbin with one mustache. Depending on the manufacturer, the length of the threaded line can vary from 2 to 5 meters. The end of the line is inserted into the head into a special technological groove or hole, and the winding is carried out in the direction opposite to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most spools have arrow marks on the outside of the body that indicate the direction of travel of the trimmer reel.
After winding, you need to leave a free end of 15-30 cm to enhance the centrifugal force, which is decisive when removing the trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic spools. Passing the left end through the working hole of the coil and assembling the head.
Winding the line to the trimmer
Measured and accurate dismantling of the spool from the spit coil makes it possible to go directly to winding the line. The design features of the head, the number and location of the fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, and also determine the methods used. Today there are several types of reels, depending on the number of line antennae and the methods of threading it:
- Trimmer head with one working Mustache;
- Bobbin with two tendril fishing lines;
- Auto winding reel.
Trimmer head with automatic line threading
Types of trimmer heads
Some models on the market are fitted with a reel with an automatic winding mechanism. It is enough for the owner to properly thread and fix the ends in the head, and the winding operation will be performed by the tool itself when it is turned on. It is almost impossible to wind the line incorrectly into a trimmer with such a head, since the coil independently determines the position of the antennae. The advantages of the automatic trimmer head include the ease of threading the line, and the disadvantages. Frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of the design and the high cost.
Magneto diagnostics using a multimeter. A solution that can be implemented in-house with such a measuring device. In this case, you must do the following.
- Switch on the resistance mode on the measuring device and set the value to 200 Ohms to test the primary winding.
- Connect the multimeter electrodes to mass magneto and outgoing contact. If the winding is intact, the resistance will vary from 0.4 to 2 ohms.
- Switch on a 20 kΩ tester to perform a secondary diagnosis. In this case, the first probe is connected to mass, and the second is installed in the candle cap. Normal values. At least 4-6 rooms. If the circuit is damaged, then the tester will show infinity, and in case of a short circuit. Zero.
The exact data on what the tester should read when checking the primary and secondary winding can be found in the instructions for use of the trimmer.
Typical problems. The reasons
The faults most often occurring with magneto, typical for trimmers from different manufacturers. As a rule, this is a weak spark or its absence, as well as the presence of interruptions in this process.
Replacing the magneto
To remove the magneto, remove the plastic cover from the trimmer. This process is different on different lawnmower models. It is usually necessary to unscrew the bolts, but on some trimmers it may be necessary to release the latches. After that, access to the coil opens. To remove the part, you need to Unscrew the retaining fasteners and disconnect the wires.
When installing a new part, you need to correctly set the distance between the flywheel and the magneto. To do this, return the flywheel with magnets up, install the coil and secure it, but DO NOT fully tighten the screws so that there is a small distance between the parts. Next, between the coil and the flywheel, you need to put a pocket calendar, business card or A4 paper folded in four, you can also use a plastic strip cut from a bottle. These tweaks will ensure adequate clearance between the flywheel and the magneto. A more competent solution would be to use a special template, but purchasing it for the sake of just one time is impractical. Next, you need to tighten the fasteners, remove the object between the parts, and, holding the magneto with your hands so that it does NOT spin, tighten the fixing screws tightly. After that, turn the flywheel and make sure that it does NOT hit the coil anywhere. Now you need to connect the wires and insert the candle into the cap, and then check the operation of the device.
Disassembling the magneto is very simple. First, remove this device from the engine and clean it, removing oil particles and dirt. Further, since the ignition timing machine is securely fastened, you need to Unscrew the nut, and then remove the part and pull the key out of the groove. The cover is fixed with four screws, to remove it, you need to Unscrew and remove the fasteners. Then you need to pull the magneto rotor out of the case, unscrew the pins holding the transformer and get it out. And to collect the magneto, you need to follow the steps described above in reverse order.
If a Spark does NOT produce magneto at all, the main reason is an open circuit in one of the transformer circuits (Primary or Secondary). The defective part must be replaced to repair the mower. If the primary circuit is shorted to ground, it can also cause no spark. You need to fix it to fix the problem.
Often, breakdowns of the ignition coils are associated with a short or open winding and mechanical damage to the magneto case. This is due to strong shocks, liquid ingress and oxidation, and overheating. If such incidents are avoided, the integrity of the ignition coil Do not worry.
One of the nodes of magneto, which regularly suffer with use, are high-voltage wires, through which current flows from the ignition module to the spark plugs. They have a long service life, but the users themselves cause damage to them by careless handling when replacing the candles, inadvertently pulling on the wire itself, and not on the tip. Another problem that can happen to them. Moisture ingress and oxidation or damage to the insulation. By carefully pulling out the plug and avoiding liquid penetration into the instrument, THESE problems can be avoided.
So, the repair of the ignition coil is NOT very difficult and can be carried out by the user independently, but subject to the above procedure for disassembling and replacing the magneto or breaker contacts.
Major coil faults
Trimmer users and lawn mowers often face a problem with a semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions can be as follows:
- The line does NOT extend automatically;
- The cord spontaneously comes out of the reel.
The line does NOT extend automatically
If the line is NOT lengthened by lightly hitting the trimmer button into the ground, the reasons for this may be the following.
Option 1. A bite has occurred, i.e. Clamping of the cord between turns. This problem usually appears if the user has been winding the line on the reel unevenly, with the intersection of turns, or winding it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, as a result of which inter-turn clamping of the fishing line is possible. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil into trimmers and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2. Too short ends protrude from the head. The fishing line may not come out when it hits the ground if its ends sticking out of the head are not long enough (short). In this case, the centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is required to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull the line manually, after pressing the button.
Option 3. The line is brazed inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to lock and NOT spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor cord quality, coil overheating during prolonged operation of the unit, line hitting hard objects.
- In the first case, third-party cord can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials, which DO NOT withstand mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, preference should be given “branded” line.
- But, if you nevertheless purchased a fishing line of unknown quality, and it is often soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after filling the cord into the reel, moisten it with either silicone grease (from a can) or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of the coils of the fishing line being soldered together.
- Also, the line may become welded if it strikes a hard object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.) during mowing. As a result, it stretches slightly and is pulled back into the head at high speed. Here the friction of the cord heats up, and its turns stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this malfunction. This is to open the trimmer spool and rewind the line.
The cord lengthens spontaneously
There are times when the trimmer user notices a very fast line flow. However, he never hit the ground with a button to lengthen the line. The reason that the line spontaneously lengthens, cutting into a special knife on the casing of the device, may be the absence of a spring in the mowing head. Often novice users of mowers, trying to load the line into the reel, forget to install the pressure spring in the head, or completely lose it when opening the lid, and in the future, they do not even suspect of its existence.
How to remove the spool and replace the line
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, find themselves in confusion, bordering on panic, when they need to change the cutting tool or line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, and not suspecting that it is unscrewed in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening, if you need to change the tool, it is recommended to Read the Step-by-step instructions given below.
- Stop the mowers engine or power off the trimmer before threading the line into the spool to avoid personal injury that can occur if the cutting tool is accidentally started to rotate.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be fixed by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axle, and inserted a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should be aware that the thread on the shaft is left-hand. Therefore, it turns the trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Let’s disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached to a latch. To remove it, you need to sink these clips into the case, squeeze the edges of the cover. If your trimmer has a Semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, then the disassembly of the nozzle should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut off the required amount of line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the same diameter as indicated in the instructions for the tool. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum line diameter as this will result in increased engine stress and higher gas mileage.
- Find the midpoint of the line by folding it in half. You will have a loop.
- Special grooves are cut inside the coil (there may be holes). Insert a loop of line into this groove.
- Wind the line around the spool by turning it counterclockwise. The cord should be tucked in as evenly as possible, the turns should lie down without overlap and with good tension. When the winding is finished, leave the free ends of the line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Remember to insert the spring and washer (if equipped) before final assembly of the accessory. Place the spool in the body and thread the ends of the cord through the holes or eyelets.
- Put on the cover and lock it latches.
- Screw the adapter back onto the gearbox shaft, also securing it with a screwdriver. You will need to twist the trimmer coil to the left (against the arrows).
Trimmer coil device
Trimmer mowing heads come in a variety of designs. Both simple and complex. The picture below shows an exploded view of the Husqvarna (Husqvarna) Semi-automatic trimmer head.
This type of head is found in most lawn mowers and trimmers, such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (bellows) and others. The device of the mowing head is quite simple. It includes the following details:
- Mowing head base;
- Button for semi-automatic cord feeding;
- Spool (spool) into which the line is tucked;
- Eyelets. Through them, the line goes out;
- Trimmer head cover;
- Line (cord).
There are also simpler trim heads, shown in the following photo.
All these equipment do not allow changing the length of the line in a semi-automatic mode (after pressing a button). If the cord breaks, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
DIY trimmer coil repair
The trimmer, whether it is petrol or electric, is the only true solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places that a wheeled lawnmower does NOT. Trimmers use metal knives or special fishing line as a cutting tool, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, the trimmer heads become unusable over time during operation. Some malfunctions can be eliminated by hand, and with some, a complete replacement of the mowing head will be required.