Televisions are now very often hung on the wall. So they do not interfere, for them it is not necessary to specifically put bedside tables or coasters. These devices can be attached using a bracket. But this is not the only way. In some cases, they do without such an aggregate. Why buy an expensive design if you can cope on your own? Learn how to hang the TV on the wall without buying bulky frames, which monitor is suitable for this, how to hide the wires so that everything looks beautiful and neat.
For convenience, TVs are often hung on the wall.
In this case, it is necessary to take into account the weight of the screen, the place where it will be, the material on which it is to be fixed. So not all displays can be installed. Massive products still need some kind of "foundation".
What type of TV can be hung without a bracket?
Before you hang the TV on the wall without a bracket, you need to find out which monitors can, in principle, be mounted without the proper “support”. If your equipment does not meet the requirements listed below, it is better not to risk it and purchase a suitable frame. Then there will be no questions whether the screen is held securely, whether the wires are bent, whether it is too close to the wall.
Here are the characteristics of the displays that can be fixed without support:
- Only “flat” TVs are suitable. liquid crystal (LCD or LED), plasma (Plazma). CRT monitors ("pot-bellied") cannot be installed like that. they need a frame with a shelf.
- All connectors and cords should be located either on the sides of the device or in front. If they are on the rear panel, after installing the equipment, nothing can be connected to them.
- To decide how to attach the TV to the wall, you need to see what it is made of. Do not screw the massive unit on a loose base. Unfortunately, you cannot immediately determine what exact weight the material will support. But if you see that the wall is unreliable, it is better not to risk it.
- There should be grooves for bolts on the monitor body.
- It is advisable that the documentation for the screen indicates that it can be hung. Some models are designed to stand on a solid and level support. And when working "in the air" in them problems may arise.
- Large displays are better not to mount without a bracket. In the instructions for the frame is always written the weight that it can withstand. But improvised units can not achieve such accuracy. If a small TV comes out to hang without problems, then a massive one can fall, breaking the mount and pulling out the wires.
How to choose a place for the TV?
The fixed monitor will no longer be able to move or tilt anywhere. Therefore, you need to choose the place where you will most conveniently watch movies. The screen should be placed at a certain distance from your eyes. It depends on the size of the display and the type of image that the TV broadcasts (analog format, digital format, FullHD). If you are thinking about how to hang the TV on the wall, first find out its diagonal.
To enjoy television on a 32-inch screen, it should be installed approximately two meters from a hypothetical viewer. For a 50-inch screen, this distance is already three meters.
However, more should be guided by their feelings. Sit where you plan to watch a movie. Imagine a TV in front of you. It should be on a par with the eyes. So that you don’t have to tilt your head.
In the installation, in addition to subjective, there are also objective aspects.
- TV can not be installed where electric wires pass. It is better to find out in advance where they are, so as not to accidentally stumble upon them when drilling. There are special devices for this: metal detectors, indicators and signaling devices.
- If you decide to "hide" the screen in a deep niche, between wall panels or in a closet, discard this idea. The device will overheat.
- Hang the monitor in an open area. Do not “pinch” it between the shelves. It is not necessary to mount it on an absolutely empty wall. But there must be some kind of clearance.
- Install the product on high-quality and durable walls that do not crumble, do not fall apart, do not rot. So that the screwed-in self-tapping screw does not fall out after a while.
- It is better to mount the display near the outlet. So it will be easier to hide the wires.
If you want to figure out how to fix the TV on the wall without a bracket, it will be very easy to do. And no fastenings other than screws are needed. Under one condition: you are going to install a display with a diagonal of less than 24 inches. It can be fixed as a frame for a photograph. Just hanging it on the wall.
A device in which this type of fastening is available is equipped with grooves. “ears”. The instructions to it should indicate which screws to use. Perhaps they are even included in the package. This should be checked with the seller. A list of suitable screws for different materials can be found in the next section.
Video: How to Hang an Angle Grinder on a Wall
With this installation, it will not be possible to hide the wires behind the monitor. He will be too close to the wall.
If the documentation does not say that the monitor can be fixed in this way, you should not try. Because of this, device problems may occur.
Mount with support
There should be some distance between the screen and the wall (unless otherwise indicated in the instructions). It must not be screwed close to the surface. He needs space for ventilation. Have to make a mount. However, many monitors have holes that allow mounting without a bracket. Further tips are suitable for any installation method.
Before you hang the TV on the wall, find out what it is made of. It depends on what parts to use, and how heavy the units can be fixed.
- Concrete, brick. The best option (if not crumble). Concrete dowels must be screwed into them from 50 mm in size. The material will withstand even bulky products. But the wall should be thick and not hollow.
- Tree. Installation is possible if it is of good quality. Without large cracks, rot and internal voids. For fasteners, dowels for wood from 30 mm in size are used.
- Drywall. Under heavy loads it will bend. You can fix the screen not on the sheets themselves, but on metal guides. Then the design will turn out more reliable. But installing large TVs is still not worth it. Butterfly dowels are used. When screwed in, they will “open” on the back of the drywall sheet and therefore will not fall out.
The frame consists of two parts: one is screwed to the wall, the other to the TV. The heavier the monitor, the stronger the mount should be. Designs may vary depending on your needs. You can make a gutter to hide the wires, create some kind of decorative element, add something from yourself.
Here, for example, the support for a small screen:
- Take the furniture "tire", a wooden block and anchor plates for windows.
- Drill holes in the "tire" and the bar. Pre-measure the distance between future holes so that the parts can be attached to each other.
- Screw the "tire" to the bar with screws.
- After that, screw the bar with the "tire" to the wall.
- First mark where the holes will be. Use the building level to set the frame straight.
- Drill holes in the wall and drive dowels into them.
- Drill holes in the bar.
- Screw the block to the wall by screwing the screws into the dowels. Use a screwdriver. An ordinary screwdriver can not cope here.
- Screw the anchor plates to the back of the TV with screws. They can be cut with an angle grinder, if not suitable in size.
- After that, attach the screen to the bar with the "bus". This is done using hooks on the anchor plate.
So you can hang only a light TV. This mount will not withstand heavy loads.
To find out exactly what dimensions the created frame is designed for, is not so simple. The maximum weight of the monitor is usually written on the brackets. But a do-it-yourself unit will have to be checked “in the field”.
How to hide the wires?
Here’s how to hide the wires from the TV on the wall:
- The most obvious option is right behind the monitor. If the outlet is not far, just place the cables behind the screen. Just see that they do not bend and twist anywhere. Only a small piece with a fork will peek out.
- You can drill a channel right in the wall. But it makes sense to do it if you still have repairs.
- If you have a drywall wall, it’s better to hide the wires in it.
- Decorative techniques. It is rather a disguise rather than a cover-up. You can turn the cable into a part of the interior. For example, stick petals and flowers on it so that it looks like a stalk. Or make it an element of some kind of design composition.
- Moldings, or cable channels. Hollow "tubes" that are attached to the wall. They put all the wiring. May be inconspicuous or beautiful.
The instructions for the TV usually indicate the available installation methods. You can find out specific information from the seller or manufacturer. When buying a monitor, ask if it can be hung on a wall without a bracket, and whether it is worth buying some additional items. If you have never been involved in installation work, it is better to contact professionals.
Modern TVs have a very small thickness, so you can not put them on bulky nightstands. The most common option is to hang the TV on the wall. This solution has a lot of advantages, and therefore has become very popular.
Advantages and disadvantages of wall mounting
The development of technology has given us televisions of very small thickness, but with excellent image quality. plasma (RPTV), liquid crystal (LCD) and optical LEDs (OLED). This made it possible not to put them on cabinets or other furniture, but to hang them directly on the wall. The pluses are obvious. The first is space saving. The second. you can hang the TV in the entrance area and it will not interfere with the movement, which can not be said even about a small bedside table. The third plus is that with wall mounting there is less chance of colliding or otherwise damaging expensive equipment.
Installing the TV on the wall is a good idea both in terms of design and in terms of security
There are also disadvantages. The first. a more or less solid screen will have to be installed together. Weight of 30 kilograms or more, it is difficult to hold "in one hand." The second. you need to choose a high-quality mount for the TV on the wall. The mass is considerable and it will need to be kept constantly, so the safety margin must be solid. The third. it will not be possible to hang on all walls: the bearing capacity of drywall, gas or foam concrete is often not enough. Unless during construction you secured mortgages in the frame that can withstand heavy loads. There are special brackets for television for such cases, but they cost more, and not all masses have them.
Where and at what height is it better to hang the TV on the wall
First of all, you need to determine the location and also the height of the screen on the wall. In the living room, TV is usually placed in a recreation area. opposite the sofa and armchairs. In this case, the height is determined depending on the design of the furniture. You need to look comfortable, and for this the middle part of the screen should be approximately at the level of the human eye. So the height of the TV on the wall is determined experimentally, but on average it is 100-120 cm.
In the bedroom, the approach is the same, but you’ll watch mostly lying down, so the height of the TV is slightly less. about a meter.
To properly hang the TV on the wall, determine the height
In the kitchen, the approach is completely different. There is rarely time to pay attention to the picture, and there is not much space. Therefore, the TV in the kitchen is usually hung closer to the ceiling and the brackets sometimes choose the ceiling type rather than the wall type. This approach has one more plus. a highly installed technique is safer.
As for the placement of the screen relative to the audience, the optimal distance is determined for plasma screens. these are 3-4 TV diagonals. With this arrangement, it will be convenient to watch (with normal vision). For all other types of screen, they choose the distance which is convenient, but the minimum distances are shown in the table. It’s better not to have furniture closer. it will be completely uncomfortable.