Almost all new laptops (and computers) come with one partition (local disk), on which Windows is installed. In my opinion, this is not the best option, because it’s more convenient to split the disk into 2 local disks (into two partitions): install Windows on one, and store documents and files on the other. In this case, with problems with the OS, it can be easily reinstalled without fear of losing data on another disk partition.
If earlier this would require formatting the disk and breaking it up again, then now the operation is quite simple and easy in Windows itself (note: I’ll show it using Windows 7 as an example). In this case, the files and data on the disk will remain safe and sound (at least if you do everything correctly, who are not confident in their abilities. make a backup copy of the data).
1) Open the disk management window
The first step is to open the disk management window. You can do this in different ways: for example, through the Windows control panel, or you can through the “Run” line.
To do this, press a combination of buttons Win and R. a small window with one line should appear, where you need to enter commands (see screenshots below).
Important! By the way, with the help of the line you can run many other useful programs and system utilities. I recommend the following article for review: https://pcpro100.info/vyipolnit-spisok-comand/
Enter the diskmgmt.msc command and press Enter (as in the screenshot below).
Start Disk Management
2) Volume Compression: i.e. from one section. do two!
The next step is to decide which drive (or rather the partition on the drive) you want to take up free space for the new partition.
To find out how much free space you have, go to My Computer / This Computer. Another example below: 38.9 GB of free space on the disk means the maximum partition we can create is 38.9 GB.
Local drive “C:”
In the disk management window, select the disk partition that you want to create another partition for. I chose the “C:” system drive with Windows (Note: if you “split off” the space from the system drive, be sure to leave 10-20 GB of free space on it for the system to work and for further installation of programs).
On the selected section: right-click and in the pop-up context menu select the “Compress Volume” option (screen below).
Compress the volume (local drive “C:”).
Then for 10-20 seconds. You will see how the request for space for compression will be performed. At this time, it is better not to touch the computer and not run extraneous applications.
Request space for compression.
In the next window you will see:
- Space available for compression (it is usually equal to free space on the hard disk);
- The size of the compressed space. this is the size of the future second (third.) partition on the HDD.
After entering the size of the partition (by the way, the size is entered in MB). click the “Compress” button.
Partition size selection
If everything was done correctly, then in a few seconds you will see that another partition has appeared on your disk (which, by the way, will not be distributed, looks like the screenshot below).
In fact, this is the section, but you will not see it in My Computer and Explorer, because It is not formatted. By the way, such an unallocated area on the disk can only be seen in specialized programs and utilities (“Disk Management” is one of them, built into Windows 7).
3) Formatting the resulting section
To format this section. select it in the disk management window (see screen below), right-click on it and select the option “Create a simple volume“.
Create a simple volume.
In the next step, you can simply click “Next” right away (because you already decided on the size of the partition at the stage of creating the additional partition, a couple of steps above).
In the next window you will be asked to assign a letter to the disk. Usually, the second disk is the local disk “D:”. If the letter “D:” is busy, you can choose any free one at this stage, and later change the letters of the disks and drives as you prefer.
Set drive letter
The next step: selecting a file system and setting the volume label. In most cases, I recommend choosing:
- file system. NTFS. Firstly, it supports files larger than 4 GB, and secondly, it is not subject to fragmentation, as we say FAT 32 (more about this here: https://pcpro100.info/defragmentatsiya-zhestkogo-diska/);
- cluster size: default;
- Volume label: enter the name of the disk that you want to see in Explorer, which will allow you to quickly find out what is on your disk (especially if you have 3-5 or more disks in the system);
- Fast formatting: it is recommended to tick off.
Final touch: Confirming the changes that will be made to the disk partition. Just click the “Finish” button.
Actually, now you can use the second partition of the disk in normal mode. The screenshot below shows the local drive (F :), which we created a few steps earlier.
The trimmer, whether it is gasoline or electric, is the only right solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places that cannot be handled by a wheeled lawnmower. As a cutting tool, trimmers use metal knives or a special fishing line, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, the trimmer heads during operation over time become unusable. Some malfunctions can be eliminated with your own hands, and some require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
Video: How to Make a Disc on a Video Trimmer
Trimmer Coil Device
Mowing heads for trimmers come in many designs. both simple and complex. The picture below shows semi-automatic trimmer head from the Husqvarna lawn mowers (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in the configuration of most lawnmowers and trimmers, such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The mower head is quite simple. It consists of the following details:
- mowing head base;
- button for semi-automatic cord feeding;
- a bobbin (reel) into which the fishing line is refueled;
- eyes. through them the fishing line comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- fishing line (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow changing the length of the fishing line in semi-automatic mode (after pressing the button). In the event of a break in the cord, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Basic coil faults
Trimmer users and lawn mowers often encounter a problem with a semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions can be as follows:
- the fishing line does not automatically extend;
- the cord spontaneously exits the coil.
The fishing line does not automatically extend
If the line does not lengthen with a light touch of the trimmer coil button on the ground, the reasons for this may be as follows.
Option 1. a bite occurred, i.e. clamping cord between turns. This problem usually occurs if the user wound the fishing line on the reel unevenly, with the intersection of turns, or wound it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to drag out, as a result of which it is possible to twist the fishing line. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2. too short ends protrude from the head. The fishing line may not come out when it hits the ground, if its ends protruding from the head are of insufficient length (short). In this case, centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is necessary to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull out the fishing line manually by first pressing the button.
Option 3. fishing line soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to stop and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the coil during continuous operation of the unit, impact of fishing line on solid objects.
- In the first case, the cord of third-party manufacturers can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that do not withstand mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, preference should be given to “branded” fishing lines.
- But, if you nevertheless acquired a fishing line of unknown quality, and it often gets soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after refueling the cord into a coil, moisten it either silicone grease (from spray can), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of soldering between each other turns of fishing line.
- Also, the fishing line can be soldered if during mowing it hits a solid object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.). As a result of this, it stretches a little and is pulled back into the head at high speed. The cord heats up due to friction, and its coils stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this malfunction is to open the trimmer coil and rewind the fishing line.
Cord spontaneously lengthens
There are situations when the trimmer user notices very fast consumption of fishing line. However, he never hit a button on the ground to lengthen the fishing line. The reason that the fishing line spontaneously lengthens, cutting off a special knife on the casing of the device, can serve lack of spring in the mowing head. Often, novice users of mowers, trying to charge the fishing line into a reel, forget to install the hold-down spring in the head, or even lose it when the lid is opened, and in the future, they are not even aware of its existence.
How to remove the reel and replace the fishing line
Owners of trimmers, mostly novices, are confused, bordering on panic when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or fishing line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To prevent this, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before putting the fishing line into the reel, turn off the engine of the lawn mowers or de-energize the trimmer to avoid injuries that might occur if the cutting tool is accidentally started to rotate.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to gear shaft. To do this, the shaft must be locked by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axis, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should know that the thread on the shaft is left. Therefore, twist the trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached on clips. To remove it, you will need to drown these clips into the body, squeezing the edges of the lid. If your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, disassembling the nozzle should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut the required amount of fishing line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the diameter specified in the tool manual. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum diameter of the fishing line, as this will lead to increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
- Find the middle of the cord segment, folding it in half. You will get a loop.
- Cut through the coils special grooves (there may be holes). Insert a loop from the fishing line into this groove.
- Wind the line onto the reel by turning it counterclockwise. It is necessary to refuel the cord as evenly as possible, the turns should lie down without overlapping and with good tension. When the winding is finished, leave the free ends of the fishing line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves located on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Before you finally assemble the nozzle, do not forget insert spring and washer (if available). Install the coil in the housing, and thread the ends of the cord through holes or eyes.
- Put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the gearbox shaft, also locking it with a screwdriver. Spin the trimmer coil to the left (against the clockwise arrow).
Is it possible to make a coil on a trimmer with your own hands
- Take a piece of plywood or textolite and draw a circle on it with a diameter of about 14 cm.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or hacksaw for metal.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disk that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Before installing the disk on the shaft, do not forget to put the washer on it.
- On the edges of the disk, you can screw small corners or make 1-2 holes on opposite sides. They will serve to refuel fishing lines in them.
- To fix the fishing line, several screws can be screwed into the plywood.
Such a homemade mowing nozzle is mounted on a shaft with a nut. Tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft will not work. To replace the cord, it will be enough to release the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it again.
Also, a mowing nozzle for attaching fishing line to it can be made from a metal sheet. How to do this, you can understand from the next video.