Unit electrical system
Medium and heavy tillers are equipped with an electric generator that charges the battery and powers the headlight. The main function of the battery is to start the engine of the mini-tractor using an electric starter. On medium and heavy tillers, it is possible to connect several headlights (main and rear for a trailer), direction indicators.
The power of the working generator is sufficient for the installation of additional electrical equipment, as well as for the stable simultaneous operation of all electrical devices of the tiller. Manufacturing plants have provided for the possibility of additional installation of electrical equipment and equip mini-tractors with generators with a power reserve of about 30%.
The battery capacity corresponds to the starting current of the electric starter. Most mini-tractor models are equipped with generators without electrical excitation. It will be replaced by constantly rotating magnets. Most often, manufacturers install single-phase generators that produce alternating current.
How can you make a light on a tiller?
How to make a light on a tiller, because most models are not equipped with headlights? tiller (mini-tractor) is a mechanism that is designed for agricultural work (plowing, cultivation, watering, etc.). Many models can be used as a vehicle by means of trailers. In this form, tillers transport people and goods, which makes harvesting easier.
Self-installation of the headlight
If the unit was purchased without a lighting system, then you should not be upset. You can install it yourself. Some manufacturers sell the lighting kit separately (headlight, wires and switch), earning extra money from this option, realizing that most owners will use the tiller as a vehicle. The engine has a special place for connecting the factory headlight. It would seem that this is a little money in comparison with the price of a mini-tractor, but why spend it if the lighting can be made from improvised means?
Let’s consider in detail how to connect the headlight to the tiller. The first step is to find the lighting element itself. Almost every owner of the unit has another mechanical device (car, moped, scooter, tractor), to which additional headlights are attached. If this is not the case, then a used headlight can be purchased at disassembly points or in the automotive market to save money. If possible, it is best to purchase a new headlight, which can be matched to the color of the mini-tractor. A headlight for a small motorcycle or scooter is suitable for this.
The most convenient place to install the toggle switch (switch) of the headlight is the steering column near the gear lever.
We install and fix the switch. Next, we move on to installing the headlight. Find a place that’s comfortable for her. The front of the engine or steering column is best suited for installing this equipment. Experts advise to mount the headlight on the steering column tube, because the one placed on the engine will get dirty when driving in the rain. Next, we stretch the wires. If the tiller has a place to connect the factory headlight, then we connect the wires to it, but if it is absent, then it is most convenient to draw the power from the terminal of the oil pressure indicator lamp. Next, we connect the wires to the switch, and from it we pull the cord to the headlight, using the tiller body as a mass. We fasten the wires with clamps or electrical tape to the steering column.
How to make an adapter for tillers with your own hands?
When you assemble a homemade tiller adapter, a drawing is a must. You can draw it yourself if you have skills in this area. If not, a suitable scheme can be selected from the existing ones. Before starting work, it is better to check all the numbers indicated there. One of the options is shown in the figure below.
The manufacture of the adapter begins with the preparation of the frame. For this, metal elements are cut off by an angle grinder according to the dimensions indicated in the drawing. Connect the elements by welding or using bolts.
Next, proceed to the chassis. If the tiller engine is located in front, then the wheels are attached taking into account the track width of the base wheels. The wheel axle is made of a metal tube. Bushings and bearings are mounted on the edges, on which the wheels are mounted.
If the engine is rear mounted, the track should be slightly wider. Otherwise, the tiller will not be able to balance normally during operation. The best option is to install a wider bridge on the tiller.
As a rudder, you can leave the handle from the tiller. The second option is to install the steering column, taking the necessary elements from the motorcycle.
The seat can be removed from the vehicle. Or you can cook something like a bench from metal corners and attach a board on top. In the first case, a slide must be welded to the frame.
The hydraulic system and a special bracket (for example, for working with a plow) will help to work with attachments. A hitch may be required if you plan to attach a semi-trailer.
The hitch is made according to the scheme shown in the figure below.
The adapter allows you to make a mini-tractor from a tiller. Among its main elements are:
- Ramu. All other parts are attached to it.
- Axle with wheels. Wheels can be metal or rubber coated. The first option is only suitable for working in the garden. The presence of a rubber tread allows you to move even on a dirt road.
- Hitch. It is necessary to connect the tiller with trailed equipment.
- Driver’s seat. It allows you to sit comfortably while working.
A special design is used to control the unit. Adapters are divided into two categories depending on their design:
- With a steering wheel, the drive of which is represented by a separate unit. A rigid coupling is organized between the adapter and the tiller.
- The control takes place by changing the angle between the adapter and the tiller. In this case, the joint is movable.
The steering wheel tiller adapter is more difficult to manufacture. But with a movable joint, it is much more difficult to control the technique.
Before asking the question of how to make an adapter for a tiller, you need to have a clear idea of what it is. It is a special design that allows you to ride a tiller. Thanks to its presence, you can no longer follow the equipment, but control it from the back.
The adapter does not interfere with working with other devices (plow, planter, hiller, and so on). On the contrary, it speeds up work. At the same time, the speed of work approximately doubles.
Required materials and tools
You can make an adapter for tillers with your own hands from the following materials:
- Metal profile, channel.
- Steel sheet for making footrest.
- Metal corner.
- Wheels (2 pcs.).
- Fasteners (bolts, nuts).
When making an adapter for tillers with your own hands, you should take a welding machine, an angle grinder and other hand tools (wrenches, hammer, etc.).
Selection of the right option
It is not difficult to assemble an adapter for tillers with your own hands. But for this it is necessary to choose the right equipment option correctly. Adapters can be of different designs. In simple terms, they can be simple (for movement) and complex (for tillage). And there are universal ones that allow you to both cultivate the soil and transport goods.
In addition, the choice of adapter depends on the power of the technique. If the tiller has a high power, it will be able to work with a long drawbar adapter. Conversely, at low power, only a short.
Using a generator
If the unit is equipped with its own generator, then the solution to the issue of arranging lighting is greatly simplified. You just need to install the flashlight and supply power to it.
To do this, you will need the following tools and devices:
- electric drill;
- soldering iron;
- screwdriwer set;
- stationery knife;
- electrical cable;
- heat-shrink tubing;
- headlight, side and turning lights.
Installation of a headlight on a tiller using a standard generator is carried out in the following sequence:
Piper Cherokee “Homemade Aircraft Tow Bar” Vlog #175
- The bases of the lighting fixtures are screwed to the body of the unit. It is advisable to place the headlight on the tiller on a separate bracket located on the front with an elevation of 100-120 cm above the ground.
- On the steering column we install buttons for turning on the lamp, turning and side lights. You should choose devices of increased strength, in a waterproof design. Fixation is carried out with clamps or self-tapping screws for metal.
- The electrical cable is pulled into a corrugated tube. This must be done so that the wiring is protected from moisture, mechanical damage and rodents. The corrugated tube is pulled to the steering column and frame so that there is no sagging.
- The wires are connected to the generator and the terminals of the electrical equipment. The engine is started and the lighting system is tested. After that, all twists and joints are insulated.
When idling and at low speeds, the light dims. To keep the lighting constant, you need to use a voltage regulator or install a powerful generator.
Electric generators from MTZ tractors and ZAZ cars have proven themselves well.
These devices are compact, they can easily find a place on the body of the cultivator. To connect a non-standard generator for a tiller, you will need to make an additional bracket. It is assembled from a steel corner on the frame of the machine (there are many videos available on the Internet with a detailed description of the manufacture).
You can make a light on a tiller without a generator by installing a 12 V battery. The battery from a motorcycle, moped or boat is taken as a power source. Don’t give up your car battery. If you put a heavy power source on the cultivator, then you can solve several incidental tasks. equip the unit with an electric starter and significantly make its body heavier. In addition, it will be useful to be able to illuminate the area at night without the engine running. This feature can come in handy for a picnic or night fishing.
Installation of a headlight on a tiller using a battery is carried out in the following sequence:
- Arrangement of the frame for the power supply. It is best to use a steel corner for this. The frame should be fixed directly to the frame of the motor cultivator body. After lowering the battery into a niche, it is firmly fixed in it using steel straps.
- Attachment of a lantern and auxiliary lights. The headlight on the tiller is placed so that it illuminates the widest possible sector without dazzling the operator and oncoming vehicles. It is better to choose devices with an adjustable angle of illumination.
- The location of the electric cable in the corrugation along the unit body. Installation and connection of control devices. Checking the correct assembly of the electrical system with a tester.
- Connecting the wire to the battery terminals, leading the wire to the junction box. Connection of wires to the switch, insulation of joints, joints and twists.
In order for the battery capacity to last for a long time, LED lamps must be inserted into the lanterns. They consume negligible amount of energy, creating bright lighting.
If the battery is not located under the standard hood of the tiller, then a separate casing must be made. To do this, you can take a piece of dense plastic, give it the desired shape and screw it to the homemade racks on the frame.
When deciding to install a battery, you should consider recharging it. To do this, you will need to purchase a charger or install an electric generator on a motor-cultivator.
Light without battery and generator
When deciding how to make a headlight for their tiller, most make the most difficult technical decisions. Making a light without a generator and a battery can be simple, fast and inexpensive if you use bicycle lights. This option can be used as the main or alternative light source for any motor vehicle: tiller, cultivator, lawn mower, snow blower. A properly sized flashlight can also be fitted to a motorized dog, towing vehicle or snowmobile.
Bicycle lights have the following advantages:
- no need for wiring;
- minimum financial investments with high efficiency;
- reliability in all weather conditions;
- availability of its own charger for portable batteries;
- the ability to mount on the steering column on the brackets that come with the kit;
- quick removal for manual use or for charging.
It costs two bicycle lights to purchase. One is advisable to use for the main beam, the second for lighting directly in front of the unit.
How to make a light on a tiller with your own hands
The question of how to make the light on the tiller has to be decided by everyone who purchased this unit without a standard headlight. Today, most models of domestic and foreign production are designed to work only during daylight hours. And those that have a built-in flashlight do not always provide high-quality lighting. The factory headlight illuminates a narrow sector in front of the car and quickly becomes dirty. Ready-made kits are on sale that can be installed on the Tiller Neva, Plowman, Volgar, Forza and other domestically produced units. With an average quality, such sets are expensive. You can save well if you make a light on the tiller with your own hands. With a headlamp, the cultivator will become much more functional and more convenient to use. Consider the options for how to connect the headlight to the tiller.
How to make light on tiller MTZ-09
Tiller MTZ-09, like many others (for example, Neva, Zubr, Agat) is not equipped with a headlamp for working in the evening and at night. If necessary, lighting can be made and installed by hand.
To make a headlamp for the MTZ-09, MTZ-09n or any other tiller yourself, you will need:
- electrical wire;
- LED or halogen light bulb (optimal power. 5 W with a minimum angle of light scattering);
- a body from a faulty energy-saving diode lamp, or from a small bicycle headlight;
- household switch or toggle switch.
To connect the lighting to the tiller, you can use the algorithms proposed above: through a battery without a generator, or using a standard generator.
How to make a headlight on a tiller?
As a lighting on a tiller, many owners of special equipment install headlights of domestic and foreign cars. This option is expensive and unreliable. There is not enough outgoing light, and the system itself will not last more than a few months. Alternatively, they develop a headlight for a tiller with their own hands, which allows you to get the necessary lighting and equipment power.
Step by step instructions for making:
- Purchase an old, inexpensive headlight. Equipment from Soviet cars is suitable.
- Remove the glass protection and other elements fixed with plastic fasteners from the device.
- Pour the dummy headlight using plaster, for which the finished material is poured into the device and remains until completely dry. After that, you can remove the cast, preserving its integrity.
- The resulting template is applied in three layers of fiberglass, each time treating the material with epoxy resin. After processing, the future headlight must dry under vacuum.
Many owners install the headlights of domestic cars as lighting on a tiller
Before using the headlight in the tiller, it is necessary to check the operation of the device and the absence of short circuits several times in order to avoid damage.
How to make a light on a tiller?
Many manufacturers of tillers produce equipment designed for operation during the daytime, therefore lighting elements are not provided. To cope with the problem, the owners install the lighting themselves, extending the life of the electrical equipment. Below are the details on how to make the light on the tiller, the features of mounting the headlights, as well as the difficulties that arise and how to solve them.
How much adrenaline is in your blood
Therefore, it is necessary to think over a number of steps in advance:
- used electrical circuit;
- way of power supply of headlights;
- the right choice of light.
Lighting on the tiller can be done by yourself
For tillers with belt drive
A feature of technology with a belt drive is the absence of a generator. Therefore, the owner of the special equipment must independently install the electrical equipment with the help of locksmith tools and additional spare parts. They can be removed from a car or other equipment.
The main thing during installation is to replace the alternator pulley with one that matches the tiller’s belt drive. For greater convenience, the electrical equipment is attached at the back, after which its operability is checked and the lighting is connected.
The absence of a generator is a feature of the belt drive technology.
Lighting options for vehicles of any class
Although manufacturers create tillers without lighting, they additionally sell ready-made lighting kits for their own products. In this case, there are no questions about the connection and the quality of the systems. If you do your own lighting development, it can be difficult.
For heavy tillers
In heavy tillers, generators and belt transmission are not used, therefore, rechargeable batteries are used for the light source.
It is recommended to install batteries from motorcycles, since they have sufficient power, small dimensions and weight.
The only drawback is that you need to make and fix the battery holder yourself. For this, an iron profile or corners welded into a single structure are suitable. And for greater reliability, the product is treated with a soft material, after which the battery is attached.
Specificity of selection and installation of lighting
Before installing the headlamp on the tiller, you need to decide on the equipment used. The choice of a lamp for lighting depends on the complexity and nature of the work being carried out, as well as the lighting requirements.
The more light is needed at night, the more power of the selected lamp should be.
Also, there are technical features when installing headlights. If the power of the generator is not enough to provide a constant flow of light, use 12V batteries. It is recommended to use light equipment so as not to increase the load on the tiller.
Headlight to tiller. self-production
Many owners of tilers use headlights from domestic and imported cars to install on their units. This method is the simplest, however, it should be remembered that the old headlight on the tiller will not emit bright enough light and will last no more than several months.
It is much better to make your own farm vehicle lighting. This does not require the purchase of expensive materials and equipment. You will need the same old headlight, the filling of which you will later replace with new parts. The order of work is as follows:
- Remove the existing glass surface and other elements that are attached to the base with plastic clips from the old headlight;
- Next, make a plaster cast based on the headlight frame. To this end, pour the still liquid material into the headlight base along its entire perimeter. After the final drying of the plaster mass, it must be carefully removed;
- Apply 3 layers of fiberglass to the impression. There should be a layer of epoxy between each of the tiers. Place the workpiece in a vacuum and wait at least a day. during this time the impression will completely solidify. After that, align the workpiece so that even the slightest chips do not remain on it;
- Start making glass for your homemade headlight. To do this, preheat the oven to 190 ° C, make a stand of 8 battens fastened together and fix a glass fabric sheet in it. Before putting the mold in the oven, do not forget to remove the protective film from the material, otherwise it will be covered with dust particles;
- As soon as the material sags in the stand, remove it from the oven and apply to the previously made workpiece. The product must be placed and kept under full vacuum until it hardens.
After hardening, the manufactured headlamp will need to be carefully sanded, degreased and dried. Further, 1-2 halogen lamps or LED strip are placed inside it. Installation of the headlamp on the tiller is carried out after a thorough inspection of the lighting fixture. To put the headlight on the tiller, be sure to use a reliable frame and at least 4 fasteners.
Connecting the headlight to the tiller generator
Installing the light on the tiller with your own hands is quite simple if you use a standard electric generator of an agricultural machine for this. Especially for this, many equipment manufacturers produce tillers with generators, the power reserve of which is slightly increased specifically for mounting lighting. Thus, the power of the node is quite enough for uninterrupted power supply of lighting devices and for giving a sound signal.
To install the headlights on the tiller, and connect them to the generator, you need to proceed in this order:
- Connect the generator by means of a wire to the switch, which must be fixed near the steering wheel or in another place convenient for the operator;
- Dissolve the wiring from the switch and connect to the headlamp, then check the operation of the lighting device;
- Then disconnect the wires and place them in a dense corrugation that protects the wiring from moisture and mechanical damage.
If the generator has a sufficient power reserve, then the headlight will shine uninterruptedly and brightly. If the unit is not powerful enough, the headlamp will flash every time the engine goes into operation at low rpm. In this case, it is best to change the standard tiller generator to a unit from MTZ tractors. It should be remembered that to install a new generator in the tiller structure, additional support frames will need to be welded, and a lighting coil must be used to connect the node.
After connecting, regularly check the integrity of the wiring contacts, otherwise, if moisture gets on them, a short circuit may occur in the tiller‘s power supply.
Despite the rich set of modern tillers, not all of them are equipped with such a useful option as lighting devices. Fortunately, solving this problem is quite simple if you put the headlight on the tiller with your own hands. over, this does not require special skills and extensive experience.
How to make a light on a tiller without a generator?
There is another way that allows you to connect the light on the tiller without a generator. It requires a 12-volt battery and LED strip. It is not necessary to buy a new battery. an old gel cell from an electric scooter will work fine.
In addition to the materials, you will need to determine in advance the location of the battery installation. Since it has a small size, it is best to place it between the engine and the tiller’s gearbox. The further work plan is as follows:
- From a steel corner, make a mount that will match the size of the battery used;
- Position and fix the bracket on the frame of the unit;
- Install the battery inside the mount, fix it with a steel plate and two bolts;
- Route the wiring from the battery to the switch and headlight. Fix the connection points with soldering and insulate with tape. To get acquainted in more detail with connecting the headlight on a trailer without a generator, the video will help.
The light from the battery-powered headlight is intense and bright enough. However, this method has one significant drawback. the battery capacity will last no more than a few hours of continuous operation, after which the power source will need to be charged.
In this case, you can make a light on the tiller from the ignition. To do this, one end of the wiring must be connected to the ignition system of the unit, the other end to the switch, and from it to the headlight. The lighting device connected in this way will work only when the ignition of the tiller is turned on.
All of the above methods of manufacturing and connecting the headlight are suitable for Neva, MTZ and agricultural vehicles produced by other domestic and foreign manufacturers.
How to make a caterpillar for a tiller with your own hands
If you wish, you can independently modify your tiller, turning it into a tracked all-terrain vehicle or snowmobile. The main rule is that you should take into account what kind of work the tracks are intended for in order to choose the right material, because they must be not only durable, but also extremely light.
Having the materials at hand, having correctly calculated the length of the caterpillar, you can make it yourself using simple improvised means.
The first step is to equip your tiller with an extra pair of wheels. For each side pair, a caterpillar track will be worn.
The length of each of the two goslings will be equal to the circumference of one wheel and the distance between the axles of each pair of wheels, multiplied by two.
Important: the wheels on the tiller must be of the same diameter.
The material for homemade products can be:
- conventional conveyor belt and bush-roller chain;
- car tires;
- belts and chains.
So, let’s consider several options for making a goose yourself, depending on the material used.
Homemade track links
You can also make your own homemade goose tracks from any suitable material. The main thing to consider is how much work you are going to give your tiller.
From conveyor belt
This method is the simplest, since it does not require a large number of special tools and auxiliary materials.
- When choosing a belt for a caterpillar, give preference to a strip with a thickness of at least 7 mm, because it has a fairly large load. Hitching with moving parts will be provided by a sleeve-roller chain.
- To give the tape strength and increase its operational life, it is recommended to sew along the edges of the tape with frequent stitches with a step of about 10 mm.
- It is also necessary to sew the tape along the ends in order to connect it into a ring of the required diameter, or use, for greater reliability, hinges resembling a piano canopy.
- Make sure that the additional wheelset you install on the tiller frame is the same diameter as the main wheels on the tiller.
From the tire
It is enough just to make a durable reliable goose for the tiller from a tire. The process of manufacturing from a car tire does not take too long, since it does not need to be stitched and lugs built up. the tire itself is a closed structure with a tread for traction.
Tires from wheels for trucks or tractors with a pronounced tread pattern are best suited for a caterpillar.
The manufacturing process is divided into several stages:
- With a very sharp knife dipped in soapy water to enhance the cutting ability on rubber, cut the tape for the goose of the required width.
- The sidewalls from the tire are cut off with a jigsaw with a file with a fine tooth.
- Hard parts on the inside of the tire are also cut off with a knife or jigsaw.
However, there are several points here that should be noted:
- The tread pattern should be clearly expressed, since its reliefs are a kind of lugs that increase the adhesion of the moving mechanism to the surface.
- The length of such a track is limited by the diameter of the tire, therefore, before attaching an additional pair of wheels, this should be taken into account.
From plastic pipes
You can use pieces of plastic pipe as tracks on a goose for a snowmobile. To do this, cut the plastic water pipe 0 into lengths equal to the width of the caterpillar. Use a circular saw to cut each piece lengthwise into two equal halves, or use a circular saw for wood.
The resulting tracks must be attached at regular intervals to the conveyor belt with furniture bolts with large hemispherical caps.
The most reliable are metal tracks made of high quality iron. For this purpose, metal pipes or a profile cut into pieces of the required length are suitable. A profile metal pipe is cut according to the same principle as a plastic one and is attached to a conveyor belt with bolts.
However, metal tracks, despite their noticeable strength, also have their drawbacks: they are heavy compared to plastic and wooden ones, and can bend during use. To straighten the track, you need to remove it from the goose, and this is a laborious operation.
When choosing the material from which the track links will be made for your mini-all-terrain vehicle, you should evaluate the degree of load and operating conditions. To overcome the snowy expanses on a homemade snowmobile, light plastic or wooden tracks are perfect, and to use the tiller as a mini-tractor, it is still better to make a caterpillar with metal lugs.
From wooden blocks
Sometimes, if the load on the goose is not very large, birch blocks can be used as tracks. They are not particularly durable for heavy loads, but they are lightweight, affordable, and a track with such tracks can be repaired at any convenient place.