Lush vegetation between houses in a residential quarter or cottage can clutter paths and areas under fences. Unlike a neat lawn, tall grass looks ugly. At enterprises, uncut areas of greenery create an unfavorable impression. To correct this situation, use lawn mowers. But due to their limited maneuverability and high cost, not everyone can afford to buy it, especially in the country or in the public utilities. Now there are their lightweight counterparts. grass trimmers that can do the same job, but are more compact and inexpensive. To correctly choose this garden tool, you need to know the main types of trimmers and what parameters they must meet in order to cope with grass on a specific landscape.
The best trimmer manufacturers. which company to choose
Good trimmers are produced by companies that have proven themselves in the high-quality manufacture of other electric and gasoline tools.
Those who do not have time to delve into the features of this product can be recommended to purchase a device from any of the companies in the following list:
For those who want to see the advantages and disadvantages of specific models from these brands, a corresponding article has been written with a detailed review. Well, for those who want to understand everything on their own, the parameters and features of this garden tool are given below.
The principle of operation and the device trimmer for grass
The grass trimmer is a garden tool for cutting green vegetation with a soft stem and not thick dead wood. Unlike lawn mowers, the devices have a small weight and are worn by the operator on belts, and do not roll on wheels on the ground. Light weight makes it easy to transport the devices to the place of work and quickly move from site to site.
Using the cutting part of the trimmer, you can:
- maintain a low grass height on the lawn;
- mow it between houses and along paths;
- remove deadwood thickets near the carriageway;
- cut vegetation directly under the fence;
- cultivate the green shores of ponds.
Trimmers have a low cost, unlike lawn mowers, and increased maneuverability makes them more convenient to use. Both residents of the private sector and utilities, as well as enterprises, buy such an instrument in order to take care of the existing territory.
The operation process of the garden tool consists in putting the case on the operator’s body through special belts. The trimmer head is brought to the grass and the button on the handle starts the engine. Torque is transmitted to the bobbin through a rigid shaft in the apparatus tube. The head contains a cutting element that cuts grass stems at high speed.
To prevent impacts on solid objects and sticks flying out in the face, a protective casing is provided, covering 40% of the circumference of the diameter of the action of the cutting part of the tool.
Most modern trimmers have the following device:
1. motor (electric or gasoline);
2. fuel tank (in the case of an internal combustion engine);
4. handle for direction (1-2 pcs);
5. a rigid shaft for transmitting rotation from the motor;
6. a bobbin with a cutting element (fishing line or knife);
7. protective cover;
8. belt fastening.
Types of Grass Trimmers
The cutting unit of the trimmer has a removable or non-removable design. Depending on this, the functionality of the models differs. But all trimmers are divided into three categories.
This type of tool works from a household network in 220V. The electric motor rotates the shaft and starts the cutting mechanism. To use the device, a power outlet and carrying device must be nearby. This partially hampers the maneuverability and scope of the tool, but allows you to work silently.
Still, such a device has no harmful emissions into the atmosphere. Such models are well suited for summer cottages and private firms with a small territory, where you can get by with one carrying coil.
- make little noise and do not interfere with neighbors;
- there are powerful models;
- no harmful emissions;
- handle height adjustment;
- the possibility of setting different knives.
- inconvenience from a wire that can be accidentally cut;
- limited area to carry length.
The principle of operation of this type is similar to electric, but the rotation here is provided by an internal combustion engine. To do this, an additional tank with fuel is attached to the rod, as a result of which the device receives a large mass.
With such a tool, you can freely move around the territory and even work where there are no buildings and electricity. There is no need to constantly remember the cord and be careful not to cut it. It is actively used for mowing grass on the sidelines, maintaining the beautiful condition of yards in high-rise areas and on the territory of large enterprises.
- powerful models;
- replacement of knives;
- no area restrictions;
- high performance;
- robust construction;
- wide area of commercial use.
- additional fuel costs;
- more noise;
- air emissions.
A less common type of garden tool is trimmers working with an electric motor, but on battery power. This allows you to cut the grass all the same silently, but not depend on the length of the carry.
Due to limited time use, such models are bought for caring for country houses where there is no electricity or for landscaping kindergartens and similar institutions.
- setting up different cutting systems;
- no area restrictions;
- the energy reserve is enough for 30-45 minutes;
- fast charge;
- powerful models are available.
- runtime is limited by battery capacity;
- are more expensive than electrical.
Grass trimmer selection options
Understanding the key features of a garden tool, you can choose a model that is well suited to specific tasks and does not cause unexpected problems. Here are the main options for choosing grass trimmers.
The trimmer power rating is indicated in kW and affects performance. The higher this value, the faster the cutting element will rotate and the larger the area will be processed.
1. Garden tools can have a small indicator of 0.25 kW and reach 1.8 kW.
2. For utility services to care for the adjacent territory in the quarters and along the roads along the roadsides, where you have to work all day and mow large volumes of grass, it is advisable to purchase models 0.9-1.8 kW.
3. For giving and caring for a small lawn, an engine with parameters of 0.25-0.7 kW is enough.
The length of the knife and the possibility of maximum extension of the fishing line affect the width of the cut. The last parameter is limited by the dimensions of the protective casing. There are various models whose range can be from 200 to 420 mm.
1. For continuous lawns over a large area, trimmers with a cutting width of 300-420 mm are suitable.
Video: How to Put a Saw on a Trimmer
2. 250-270 mm are enough for a summer cottage and care for the blocks of high-rise buildings.
The mass of the device affects the usability and operator fatigue. The weight of the tool varies from 1.5 to 9 kg. Of course, it’s logical to take models lighter for long-term employment, but often this involves remote work from the mains, which requires the most severe gasoline models.
1. If you can connect to the mains, you should buy electrical devices weighing 3-5 kg.
2. For the cottage, an option of 2.5 kg is suitable.
3. If it is impossible to connect to the mains, you should buy gas trimmers with a weight of 7-9 kg.
Another performance indicator is the cutting speed of the cutting element in one minute.
1. In low-power versions, this parameter is not prescribed because there they are below 7000 per minute.
2. professional models have an acceleration of 7,500-12,000 rpm.
3. For a summer house or a small business, 6000 rpm is enough.
4. For large volumes of work, 9000-12000 rpm is required.
Diameter of fishing line
This indicator varies from 1.4 to 3.3 mm and indicates the ability of the cutting element to cut through a certain thickness of the stem and branches of the bush.
1. 1.4-2 mm is enough for a country courtyard, which will allow you to remove grass and maintain a neat appearance of lawns.
2. Workers who monitor the condition of the curb, where dense grass often grows, need to purchase 2.4-2.7 mm.
3. To improve the neglected area, a strong fishing line of 3.0-3.3 mm is required, capable of dissecting the stiffened stems and bushes.
Trimmers work by rotating the cutting elements, which can be solid knives (metal, plastic) or soft fishing line (cord).
1. Thick knives are more suitable for a flat open landscape and dense grass with hard stems. The tool will create an even cut. This type is practical for lawn care along businesses and next to a private home.
2. The fishing line is necessary in case of work on hilly terrain and near fences. Beating against solid obstacles will not cause damage, and contact with the ground will not stop the process. But such trimmers do poorly with dense vegetation and get confused.
Type of fastening
To operate the device, it is hung on the operator’s case. For this, one or two belts are provided.
1. The use of a trimmer with a single belt is used to give or ennoble a small area of the company.
2. In the case of a large area, a satchel mount will be required to evenly distribute the load and reduce vibration.
The shape and number of handles, as well as the balancing of the device, are responsible for this.
1. The main and auxiliary handles are convenient for short use in a garden or a small company. To work all day, it is better to purchase models with a cross frame and two equivalent handles.
2. The position of the engine below the cutting part increases the load on the back and is suitable for mowing only for several hours. If the engine is installed at the top of the rod, this makes it easier to control the tool and is suitable for professional use.
Tank volume and battery capacity
In the case of autonomous fuel trimmers, tank capacity plays an important role. It happens from 0.3 to 1.5 liters. Manufacturers calculate its volume based on the capabilities of the engine to work continuously for a certain amount of time.
1. With a minimum tank, it will be possible to mow for 20 minutes, after which a stop for a break will be required to cool the motor and refuel.
2. It is possible to work with a maximum rate for more than an hour, which is convenient for commercial use in large areas.
For battery models, the battery is measured in amperes / hours. 1st unit A / h is enough for 15 minutes of work. Charging will require three times as much time.
1. For cosmetic care of a small lawn away from the outlet, 2 A / h is enough.
2. To care for the territory of a kindergarten or a small company, 3-4 A / h are required.
What grass trimmer to choose
1. To work on uneven terrain along the fence, you need a device with a fishing line of 2.7 mm thick. For productivity, a cutting width of 250 mm and a speed of 7500 per minute are sufficient. The device will be more convenient to control with two equivalent handles. If the size of the territory allows you to use an extension cord, then it is better to purchase a model with an electric motor.
2. In utilities, on the balance of which there is a large territory with paths and courtyards, as well as road services, you will need a trimmer working on gasoline with a tank of 1.5 liters, 12000 rpm, with a power of 0.9-1.6 kW, 300 mm wide and 3.0 mm thick fishing line.
3. For a large private area or enterprise with green areas, you must buy a garden tool with a 1 kW internal combustion engine, 10,000 rpm, an iron blade or fishing line 2.4 mm and a cut width of 420 mm.
4. In a small courtyard to the cottage, an electric model with a power of 0.25 kW, 6.500 rpm, a fishing line thickness of 1.4-2.0 mm, and a zone coverage of 250 mm across the cut width is sufficient. The mounting method is suitable for one belt with a lower engine.
5. To care for the territory of kindergartens, boarding schools and recreation centers, it is practical to buy battery versions that silently perform their functions over a vast territory. A model with a power of 0.7 kW, a battery capacity of 3 A / h, 7500 rpm and a fishing line of 2.0 mm is suitable.
How much does a grass trimmer cost
1. To work on the hilly terrain and along the fences, the model will cost 3200. 7000 rubles.
2. Trimmers for 10,000-14,000 rubles are purchased in utilities.
3. To care for the green territory of companies, the tool will cost 15,000-20000 rubles.
4. To give the model start at 1200 rubles.
5. In kindergartens and recreation centers, a battery-powered device will cost 3,000–25,000 rubles.
Would you like to receive current ratings and selection tips? Subscribe to our Telegram.
Many, having developed a factory line on a newly acquired trimmer, try to rewind a new one, but they cannot, because they do not know how to wind the line onto the reel spool (bobbin). It seems that there is an instruction, but it still doesn’t work out. Let’s try to deal with this issue in this article.
So, to rewind the fishing line, you need, for starters, to remove the reel from the trimmer. it will be more convenient. The removal method will depend on the type of trimmer.
Remove the coil from the trimmer
On small electric trimmers with the bottom position of the engine (when it is when working near the ground), the coil usually has two keys on its sides. We click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound. When parsing, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and petrol trimmers with a curved bar (it is still not possible to put a knife on such trimmers), you need to grab the coil body with one hand, and with the second hand you need to start turning the lamb on it. It is he who fastens the coil to the trimmer bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, being careful not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and petrol trimmers with a straight rod and a gearbox at its end (in addition to fishing line, you can also install a knife on such trimmers) we look for a hole under the coil, insert a screwdriver into it, for example, rotate the coil quietly until the screwdriver penetrates even deeper, and the coil will lock. Now twist the entire coil clockwise (since the thread is left) and remove it from the trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled using latches or twisted by a lamb. If the coil is on latches, then we press on the sides on the base of the latches so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just twist the lamb. There may also be a third type of connection of two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the upper one with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you must also make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
than 200 types of trimmers in one place at the lowest prices. Click and see
Now, having removed and disassembled the coil, we proceed, in fact, to winding.
If your coil is designed to work with only one antennae, then everything is simple. You need to rewind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the reel), find the hole fixing the line on the inside of the reel, insert one end of the line there and start reeling the line in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmer. On the inside of the reel, they usually indicate an arrow, in which direction to wind the line. After winding up the fishing line, we leave a small piece of it unwound to expose it. We fix this piece in a special groove located on the inside of the reel and designed so that the fishing line does not unwind at the time of collection of the reel. If there is no such groove, then you will have to hold the fishing line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further collection of the reel. Next, we take the outer part of the reel and thread the outer piece of fishing line into the existing hole, collect and put the reel back on the trimmer.
If the coil is designed to work with two antennae, then do the following. On the inside of the reel, we see how many grooves are available for winding fishing line. There may be one or two. If there is one groove, then both antennae are wound along this same groove. If there are two grooves, then each antennae is wound on its own groove. The reel with one groove should have a through hole into which the line is threaded. Unwind 2-4 m of fishing line, thread it through this hole so that on each side of the fishing line sticks out equally. And at the same time we wind both antennae of the fishing line in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil on the trimmer and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the coil. We leave a little fishing line unwound, we fix the ends in special grooves, and if they are not there, hold them with our fingers. Pass both ends into the holes on the outer coil body. We assemble the coil and attach it to the trimmer.
If there are two grooves, we fold the piece of fishing line 2-4 m long in half, insert the loop obtained at the bend point into the groove between the two grooves, and simultaneously wind both ends of the fishing line in each groove. Further actions are similar to the previous option.
There are still reels in which the line is threaded through a through hole on the inside. After that, the ends of the fishing line, without winding, are threaded completely through the holes on the outer casing of the reel, the reel is assembled and the button, which is usually pressed, is rotated so that the line can be released during operation as it wears out. Turn the button. the line itself is wound inside. At the same time, turning it in the “wrong” direction will not work, since it can only spin in one direction. If you get used to it, then you can wind the line onto such a reel without even taking it apart. you just need to combine the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer case of the reel, and then thread the line into them.
That’s all for the matter. Good winding!