About chainsaw starter repair with your own hands
All gasoline-powered saws are structurally similar, so the causes of failure are the same for the expensive European unit made by Husqvarna, as well as for the popular cheap Chinese chainsaw “Champion 137”. Repair with your own hands can be carried out only with knowledge of elementary laws of physics, the ability to read diagrams, drawings, and the presence of skills to work with mechanisms.
- of the engine (mostly single-cylinder, two-stroke, carbureted);
- The chain saw has a functional part (the saw part with the chain);
- service systems (starter, carburetor and other mechanisms).
What to do if the chain saw won’t start??
But what to do when all the steps in the instruction manual have been completed, but the chainsaw still won’t start? Regardless of chainsaw manufacturer. STIHL, Husqvarna, Partner, Ural, Friendship. there are a number of common measures for the factory tool.
Below are practical tips from professionals that have been field-tested and proven to work:
- Don’t be nervous, don’t try to adjust the carburetor on your chainsaw.
- Set the tool aside and let it rest. The cause may simply be that the spark plugs are primed. Let them dry.
- Get the instruction manual. Try to start the saw again. Saw brake does not need to be activated.
- If that doesn’t help, try removing the cap from the chainsaw body and removing the air filter. This way you can check if the filter is clean and at the same time make it easier to start.
- Replace the spark plugs. If it is not possible to install new spark plugs, you can use the old ones by first removing and burning them.
- If there is a pungent pungent smell it means that excess fuel has got into the chainsaw engine. To correct this situation, remove the spark plug and turn the saw upside down to drain the excess. Without returning the saw to its normal position take a couple of quick pulls on the starter motor. This allows the combustion products to escape from the chamber. Wipe the spark plug dry and bake it, then screw it on and start it without installing a filter.
- Check the surface of the piston for fuel. If you unscrew the spark plug and see that it has dried out through the hole you need to put some fuel into the chamber with a syringe. The cause of the problem in this case may be a blockage that prevents fuel from entering the engine. If the engine can be started with a small amount of fuel, the pull will remove the blockage and the problem will be solved.
- The last two steps can only be performed with a dry spark plug.
- Check your starter for wear and tear. You can’t start your chainsaw without the starter cord.
- Check the ignition of the ignition.
- Try gently removing the unit’s muffler and starting it without it.
Each saw has different starting characteristics. How to get a Husqvarna chain saw, you can see in the video. Follow the instructions carefully and you will get a long life out of your chainsaw.
How to Repair a Gasoline Starter with Your Own Hands
Partner chain saw starter repair / Breakage of starter cord
Here’s how to fix the chain saw starter motor after a broken starter cord. Without a starter cord, the chainsaw becomes completely inoperable, there is no other way to start the tool. Repair Razed by the example of a chainsaw Partner P350S, tricky reliable starting this saw requires a minimum of 4-5 times to pull the starter cord to saw has worked, so I guess the first fault was a broken cord. The cord doesn’t rip right away, first the protective cord strand breaks and prevents the saw from starting. It is better not to wait for all threads to break and to fix the cord in advance. It is not necessary to invent anything, the repair should not cause difficulties, but the exact observance of the conditions of assembly is obligatory. The step-by-step instructions with the scheme of actions with photos and video are given below.
Unscrew the three screws that hold the starter motor cover. The included spark plug wrench with a straight screwdriver will do the job, but you’d better use a real tool to speed up the process.
Remove the starter. The chainsaw is equipped with a soft starter mechanism, it is located above the spool with a cord.
Remove screw that secures soft starter mechanism and starter coil
Starter removedUnscrew the screwThe screw is unscrewed
Soft-start mechanismStarter coilCoil removed
Prepare a cord that suits the diameter and is 1,2-1,3 meters long. A kapron clothesline was used for the repair :).
Melt the ends of the rope in the fire, so it won’t unravel.
Tie a complex knot at one end. The knot should be big in diameter, but it should not stick out when inserted on the spool.
Tuck the cord into the spool hole. The cord should not be wound!
Reinsert the spool. There may be an assembly error here. The spool has two slits, one of which should catch the spiral spring. Fit the spool so that it fits snugly and the catch is in the slot. Checked by turning the coil clockwise to determine the occurrence of return force.
Knot on the cordThe cord is fixedSpring’s protrusion
Install soft starter. The protrusion of the mechanism must fit into the notch of the spool.
Screw in retaining screw and washer.
Tuck the other end of the cord into the exhaust opening.
Installing the soft starterScrew is screwed onThe cord is pulled out
Tucking the cord into the starter grip. Tie a big knot at the end of the rope. With a small knot there is a chance that the cord will slip and the whole cord will get tangled in the starter and you will have to remove the starter again to get it out. Checking the reliability of the assembly. See photo.
Cord in the starter handleFixing knotHandle on the cordTightening the helix
How To Assemble A Recoil Starter System. TreeStuff.com Chainsaw Maintenance Video
The most important moment! Let the loop of the cord inside the starter and start turning the mechanism of the starter clockwise without winding the cord! For this saw you need to make at least five turns. Fix the spool by hand. Tighten the hinge by the handle outward. Holding the cord and the mechanism let the cord wind up on the spool. See video.
Put the starter in place and fasten it with the three screws. Repaired.
Repairing a broken or damaged cord using the step-by-step instructions will take 15 minutes, which is much faster and cheaper than going to a service center.
Replace the starter
The procedure for replacing the starter chain saw:
- Remove the assembly from the tool body.
- Unscrew the mounting bolts and remove the side cover.
- Unscrew the fastening screw that attaches the starter motor.
- Remove the clamp and spring mechanism of the starter system.
- Dismantle the pulley with the cord.
- Replace any worn or damaged parts.
- Wrap the sheave.
- Install new starter.
- Reinstall the sheave and cord, clip, and spring.
- Screw on the side cover and install the assembly on the chain saw body.
Before installing a new starter, it is recommended to inspect it for defects, check the quality of the assembly and the presence of the guide bush.
Chainsaw Recoil Starter Spring (How to Rewind). The Repair Specialist
How to Repair the Starter on a Chainsaw
A chainsaw is a powerful tool that not only needs to be operated properly, but it also needs to be cared for. This is the only way for any tool to serve its useful life. Often sawyers are faced with the situation of the starter breakdown, so there are difficulties with starting the motor. To start the engine, it will be necessary to perform the chain saw starter repair. And the repair can be done with your own hands, taking only time to read the instructions.
Starter on a chainsaw. design and principle of operation
Although chainsaws have different names, they are structurally similar. Similar are the chain drives of gasoline-powered generators, with which the engine is started. Engine starting mechanisms are suitable for various brands of chainsaws STIHL, Husqvarna, Dolmar, Makita and others. Structurally, the starter for a chainsaw consists of the following elements:
- The drum on which the cable is wound
- The cable that drives the crankshaft of the tool
- Handle for easy use of the mechanism
- A frame with a spring, thanks to which the cable is wound on the drum (returns to its original position) when the sawyer starts the motor
Operating principle of this device is simple. When you sharply raise the handle of the mechanism, the cable is pulled. The rope engages the ratchet and transmits the movement to the slotted drum. This causes the crankshaft to move and complete several revolutions. At that moment the mixture is compressed in the cylinder. As soon as the handle returns to its original position, the ratchet-spline connection is disengaged and the shaft stops rotating.
With each additional pull of the cable, the amount of fuel-air mixture in the cylinder increases. The cable is designed with return springs to make the cable return to its original position. They are made of resilient steel. It is this spring that often causes the unit starter to malfunction and can be repaired.
Starter breakdowns and how to fix them
If you have to start the chainsaw motor frequently, it entails an accelerated depletion of the starter. It is impossible to predict which part of the trigger will fail first, but the cable will break or the spring will burst most often. Determine the fault of a broken cord is not difficult, but in any case, if there was a breakdown, you will need to revision and repair chain saw starters.
Common breakdowns of the starting mechanism of units and their elimination:
- Cord breakage and replacement. As soon as the engine is started, the rope comes into contact with the housing of the mechanism in the form of friction, thereby causing it to fray. If the rope shows obvious signs of wear, it is better not to wait for the handle to come off at all, and the chainsaw can be started only after the repair. The starter rope must be replaced, for which the body is disassembled, and the ratchet mechanism is lifted. Lift it carefully to prevent the return spring from coming off. The old cord is disconnected and a new starter cord is installed in its place. After replacement, the cover is reinstalled
- Chainsaw starter spring replacement. Now let’s consider how to replace the spring of the starter of the gasoline unit. it is a device that returns the drum together with the cable to its original position. If the spring is damaged at the connection to the drum (where the hinge is formed), it is not necessary to replace it with a new one. It is possible to make a new hinge, having previously cleaned the place of damage. After that the spring is heated up to 600-650 degrees (when it becomes crimson) and then gradually cooled. At 150 degrees, a bend should be made, and the part should be completely cooled. It can now be reinstalled and operation can continue. If there are difficulties with heating or the spring breaks in another place, then it should be replaced
- Repair and replacement of the flywheel dogs with their own hands is not particularly difficult. The work begins with the dismantling of the flywheel and the removal of the dogs. New ones made of the same materials should be installed in place of the removed dogs. If you choose metal instead of plastic, they may last longer, but the flywheel will wear out faster. How to change the chain saw flywheel pads is explained in detail in the video.
How to replace the starter spring on a chainsaw
If the chain saw starter spring is broken, which is often found on units of Chinese origin, it is necessary to make its replacement. You don’t need to replace the whole starter motor.
Here is a detailed instruction on how to replace the trigger spring:
- Initially remove the cage (drum) of the mechanism
- In the construction of the drum there is a spring, which must be removed. Secure its top part, and pull the handle
- A new spring must be installed in place of the old one. Before installing the part, the drum housing must be cleaned
- The new spring is initially placed in the drum, and then you need to get the tendon in the groove
- The drum is installed in place, and the starter cover is mounted on the tool
A detailed and visual description of replacing the starter spring is shown in the video.
To repair the chain saw starter you need to find out the cause and then, depending on the fault, eliminate it. If the cover of the mechanism itself has burst, it is easier to replace the device completely. To extend the service life of the starter mechanism, it is necessary to carry out preventive maintenance of the tool.
Chainsaw starter repair
During frequent use some chain saw components can be exposed to constant dynamic effects, which can break the cable at the most inopportune moment, or the shaft will rotate at a slower rate, or the teeth of the ratchet will crack. Taking this into account, chainsaw starter repair and revision can be performed more than once during one working season!
If the spring material is of low quality, it tends to crack, and it usually breaks at the point of contact with the drum, where the hinge is formed. In this case it is not necessary to change the spring at all! It is quite enough to clean the surface well from the existing grease and dirt, and then carefully grind the area of destruction. Finally, the spring is tempered at 600 to 650 degrees until the steel has a crimson hue. The part should cool down gradually, where at 100-150 degrees you can already carefully wrap the end of the spring on the inner surface of the drum to the shape of the limiting protrusion, so that the material gets the desired plasticity. When this is done, the spring’s elastic characteristics will remain the same.
Changing the cord
If the cord is pulled, the cord begins to rub against the starter housing. Replacement of the cord begins with disassembly of the unit housing, during which the ratchet drum is carefully lifted so that the return spring does not slip from its seat. It’s better and more comfortable to do it with two people, where while changing the cable the second will hold the spring! After the rope is successfully secured in the grooves of the drum and handle, it is wound onto the roller with the subsequent assembly of the housing.
How to put the spring on the chainsaw starter?
Even an experienced craftsman has difficulty placing the starter spring in the proper slot. First roll the spring to its original diameter, then place it inside the hub cavity of the drum. The outer end of the spring is placed against the hole in the lock. a screwdriver can be used for this purpose! The outer end is placed over the limited ledge. Using the same screwdriver, the hinge at the inner end of the spring is aligned with the hole. The disk is lowered, then its rotation is checked, as well as whether or not the ratchet catch has been positioned correctly. Assembly of the ratchet is performed.
Once the spring has been successfully replaced, the spring tension must be adjusted. To do this, the wire is inserted in a circular groove, where a return spring is screwed onto it. After removing the slack, it is better to make an additional couple of turns when screwing on the spring, thereby providing the necessary tension of the part.
You should not try to repair the ratchet mechanism yourself at home, since most moments require a CNC machine! If you do not have it, then buying or ordering a new unit from a specialty store will be more justified.
A chain saw starter. Learning self-repair
For a quick start any chainsaw requires a starter. Accelerated cranking of the tool crankshaft compresses the fuel-air mixture fed into the engine and then ignites it. Therefore, the chain saw starter determines the proper operation of the mechanism.
How to Repair the Starter on a Chainsaw
The cause of malfunction of the chainsaw starting system may be:
- Drive pulley. this part is subjected to high axial and radial loads, therefore it is recommended to inspect the pulley for damage and cracks on the backside of the body before starting work. If necessary, repair the part or replace it with a new one.
- Spring mechanism. If it has lost its properties or has cracks or breaks in it, this element must be replaced. It is also recommended to inspect the attachment points for defects.
- Rope start system. Inspect the rope for wear and tear and damage. If necessary, replace the part and install it on the pulley.
Diagnose the starting system of the tool as follows:
- Unscrew the fastening screws and remove the cover.
- Undo the screw that fastens the mechanism to the protective cover.
- Smoothly start the starter by removing the spring and clamps.
- To inspect for wear and tear and for defects, dismantle the rope spool.
- Check the fuel system for the presence of water in it. If there is water inside the system, the fuel fluid must be replaced.
- Inspect the power unit for fuel overflow. In this case, you need to unscrew and dry the spark plug, pull the starter, removing the air damper.
- Check the spark plug for spark.
See ” Top 16 Best Domestic and Professional Chainsaw Models Champion
Replacing the rope
In order to make a cord replacement, you will need the following tools:
To replace the starter cord, do the following:
- It is necessary to unscrew the fastening screws that hold the side cover, using a screwdriver.
- Then remove the starter from the tool body.
- After that it is necessary to turn the cover and make an inspection.
- Then dismantle the clamp and spring.
- It is necessary to untie the knot on the cord.
- You need to pull out the pulley on which the cord is wound. Remove the cord and replace it with a new one.
- Then put the pulley in place and tie the rope into a knot. Install the clamp and spring.
- After that, tighten the cover with the fixing screws.
- Finally put the starter in place and screw the mounting screws on.
Repair the spring
Procedure for repairing the starter system spring:
- Remove the starter motor from the tool housing.
- Remove the protective cover.
- Wind the cord from the end of the pulley to avoid scrolling of the mechanism.
- Insert the other end of the cord through the hole in the protective cover.
- Pull the cord out to 17-20 cm to check the pulley rotation of the spring mechanism.
- Check the spring action after pulling and releasing the mechanism.
- Unscrew the pulley circle from the side of the alternator by removing the 3 mounting bolts.
- Dismantle pulley and cord.
- Check the condition of the parts for wear and tear and any damage or breaks. If the spring break is small, you can repair the defect by welding.
How to place the spring
In order to install a new spring, you must do the following steps:
- Carefully remove the cage of the mechanism.
- Inspect the inside of the cage, in which the spring mechanism is located near the C-shaped element.
- Secure and tighten the upper part of the spring with your finger and pull the starter grip aside.
- Remove the worn out mechanism and wind a new spring. Avoid kinking or twisting the element.
- Reassemble the new spring mechanism. It is recommended to do this slowly so that the mechanism does not unwind.
- Fill the spring and insert it into the starter mechanism.
- Carefully fix the clamping block.
The chainsaw is a basic tool that can be used to get firewood for a bath or fireplace, and it can also be used for construction work on a cottage or a private home. The chainsaw can be used for a long time if the operator observes the operating conditions and takes all preventive measures required by the manufacturer. But as time passes, minor malfunctions may occur that you can deal with on your own. For example, the repair of the chain saw starter with your own hands is quite possible if you follow the sequence of operations.
Construction of the starter chainsaw: 1. starter screw, 2. sleeve, 3. spring easy starter, 4. screw, 5, 6. coil starter, 7. deflector, 8. cover starter, 9. handle and cord, 10. screw.
Start the chain saw Ural
Achtung! For the especially gifted: 1. The roof is not affected. 2. The gasoline is rotten, so the octane number is long gone.
Read also: How to choose the right circuit breaker
When the device stalls all the time, you need to systematically start it up again (see. What to do when the chainsaw stalls on the gas). After a while the engine will gain momentum and can maintain active operation without interruption.
When the chainsaw is already hot, that is, it has just recently been in working order, to turn it on, it is enough to move the toggle switch, thereby activating the ignition, and then pull the starter knob.