Where is used
Arbolit has found its application mainly in private low-rise construction. Blocks are made from it. Arbolite is also used for casting panels. Their sizes can be very different. Abroad, wood concrete blocks and slabs are sometimes used for the construction of high-rise buildings, as well as various kinds of industrial facilities. Although it is not recommended to build a foundation from this material, sometimes it is still used for this purpose. But not for residential buildings, but for garages and outbuildings.
Arbolite mixture, among other things, is sometimes used as a heat insulator in frame houses. In addition, it is poured into the walls when performing well masonry.
Important for many owners of suburban areas is the fact that when transporting wood concrete blocks or slabs, there is no need to worry about their safety. This material is highly resistant to shock loads. The undoubted advantage of wood concrete is also considered its environmental friendliness. This material is completely safe for health.
The production of wood concrete and its use in housing construction has a positive impact on the country’s economy as a whole. In the manufacture of mixtures, they are not just disposed of, but usefully used waste from the woodworking industry. When constructing buildings from wood concrete, there is a need to use heavy special equipment, which ultimately leads to significant savings.
Another disadvantage of wood concrete is considered its instability to the effects of aggressive gases. It should be said about the rather high cost of this material.
Wood concrete production
The block manufacturing process includes several main stages:
- The selected chips are preliminarily crushed and then sorted. In order to get a filler from particles of a certain size, it is passed through special sieves.
- Then the chips are removed from dust.
- Then the filler prepared in this way is mixed with cement, chemical additives and water.
- The resulting solution is poured into molds. The latter are usually made of metal, since in this way you can get absolutely even and smooth blocks.
- In the forms, the mixture is compacted. For this, a vibropress is used.
- The mixture is kept in the mold until solidification.
- Before being sent to the construction site, the finished blocks are dried for at least two weeks, until they have gained sufficient strength.
What to look for when buying blocks
When buying wood concrete blocks, you should be very careful. In the modern market, you can find both high-quality material and not so much. It is best to purchase products from large companies. As a rule, such firms produce blocks of several standard sizes.
What arbolite is made of
The wood concrete contains such components as cement, water, chemical additives and organic filler. As the latter, wood chips, sawdust, rice straw, chopping reeds, etc. can be used. In the production of blocks and the construction of monolithic arbolite walls, high-grade Portland cement is used. As chemical additives, calcium nitrate and chloride or water glass are used.
How to make wood concrete blocks yourself
Making wood concrete at home. A process that also requires adherence to certain technologies. Forms can be knocked down independently from thick boards. They must be collapsible. To prepare 1 m 3 of a mixture for 250-300 kg of the five-hundredth Portland cement, you need to take the same amount of shavings, 400 liters of water and 2-4% of the mass of cement of chemical additives. Beforehand, the chips should be carefully sieved. This procedure will remove too large particles.
You can buy wood concrete blocks at a price of 28 rubles apiece. The cost of a cubic meter of wood concrete blocks. Here are 2200 rubles.
Today, the attitude of builders to wood concrete blocks is ambiguous, although the products have a number of positive qualities. She, of course, also has disadvantages, like any building material. Before buying such blocks, it is worth studying all their properties in order to use the products for their intended purpose and be prepared for the consequences.
Using wood concrete blocks
The products are applicable in the construction of civil and industrial buildings, namely:
- To create curtain exterior walls,
- When constructing internal partitions,
- For the construction of load-bearing walls in buildings NOT higher than two floors,
- As a sound and heat insulation material.
The operation of wood concrete blocks is possible in rooms with a normal or low level of humidity, in other cases a special impregnation is required.
Description and production features
- These products are made from cement (less commonly, gypsum), wood chips, water and synthetic components. Cement composition (in the professional language referred to as dough) binds together the particles of wood, which are subject to special requirements. Their length according to guests should not exceed 4 cm, width 1 cm, thickness. 0.5 cm. The finer the chips, the higher the quality of the building material. However, sawdust or shavings in the mixture drastically reduce the quality of the blocks.
- Wood particles are treated with a special compound. For better adhesion to cement and increasing the water-repellent properties of wood. This component is also subject to GOST requirements.
- The blocks have the shape of a large rectangular parallelepiped and are formed in two ways: manually or on a special machine. In this case, wood particles are evenly distributed inside the product. Of course, the products obtained by a mechanized method have a higher quality and a clear geometry of the edges. And only large manufacturers can afford reliable machines for making blocks.
- The production technology requires strict adherence to the proportions of the composition, which is also possible only at specialized enterprises.
- The finished product must pass a series of tests.
Arbolite blocks belong to the class of large-cell lightweight concrete. Manufacturers offer these products in various sizes, the most popular option. 250х300х500 mm.
- Strength. Today manufacturers are ready to offer wood concrete blocks with different strength classes. The scope of application of the products also depends on this value. A characteristic feature of such products is their high bending strength. Unlike bricks, foam and aerated concrete blocks, wood concrete products do NOT form cracks during operation.
- Thermal conductivity. This indicator in wood concrete blocks is extremely low, which favorably distinguishes such products from many other types of wall and heat-insulating building materials.
- Density. Due to their low density, such products are NOT capable of withstanding heavy loads, and are not suitable for the construction of eaves of buildings, the laying of basements and basements.
- Moisture absorption. Arbolite does NOT accumulate moisture inside, but passes through itself. Constructions made of this material must be plastered or finished with hinged facade materials.
- Frost resistance. Since wood concrete walls are to be finished, they are additionally protected from the effects of low temperatures.
- Fire resistance. These products can be called practically non-combustible material.
- Biological resistance. Products resistant to mold, decay, fungi and insects.
- Soundproofing. By this parameter, wood concrete blocks are superior to many traditional and modern building materials (silicate and ceramic bricks, wood, various types of aerated concrete).
- Water vapor permeability. Steam passes freely through this material, which guarantees a comfortable climate at any temperature.
- Environmental friendliness. The components included in the raw materials do NOT emit substances harmful to humans.
- Ease and simplicity in work. The blocks are lightweight and do NOT put pressure on the foundation. Products fit into the desired structure quite quickly, they can be manipulated in the same way as with wood: they dust and cut, killed nails and screw in self-tapping screws.
This kind of building material is good interlocks with plaster, this allows you to refuse additional reinforcement of structures.