Guaranteed production of a factory trimmer refill will inevitably require replacing the fishing line. Having a very rough idea of how to fill the fishing line into the reel of the trimmer yourself, beginners are reluctant to take up this matter. However, with some skills, mastering this simple science does not present any difficulties, and the similar instruction presented below will facilitate this process as much as possible.
First of all, for winding fishing line it is required to remove the reel (bobbin, spool) from the trimmer. specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and the type of product itself:
- Small electric trimmers with a working arrangement of the engine and the coil in the lower part, as a rule, have side keys on both sides of the bobbin. By pressing them simultaneously, the upper part of the reel, together with the internal contents for winding the fishing line, is disconnected, while the lower one remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on an even smooth place so that the spring included in the design does not pop out and is not lost;
- electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved rod without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have coils with a special wing: in such designs, you should hold the spool in one position with one hand and rotate the locking reel on the wing nut with the other counterclockwise. After disconnecting the nut, the entire reel is removed.
- electric and petrol trimmers with the possibility of installing a knife on a straight bar (for example, Stihl trimmers) have a hole under the bobbin. For the motion of the rod to be stationary, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and with a slow rotation, such a mutual arrangement is achieved when the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is fixed. After that, the coil body scrolls clockwise (with the left thread) and is removed from the trimmer.
For the second and third cases, the coils, depending on the design, are disassembled in various ways. In bobbins with a lamb, a lamb is twisted, in coils with latches, latches-clamps are pressed and one part of the coil is released from the other. If the halves of the spool are threaded, it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
We carry out winding fishing line
Slowly completed disassembling the spool reel without losing its spare parts allows you to go to the main task. winding fishing line into the reel. Technological features of the design of the spool and the number of working antennae determine the sequence of actions.
Coil with one working antenna
The simplest option and a simple sequence of actions:
- The dimensions of the bobbin and the length of the original factory winding determine the recommended fishing line length for winding. 2. 5 m.
- One end of the fishing line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the spool.
- The fishing line is wound on the drum in the reverse direction of rotation of the spool on the trimmer product. as a rule, on the inner side of the bobbin an arrow indicates which direction the winding is going.
- A small section of fishing line is left free to bring it out. it is fixed in a specialized groove on the inside of the reel, designed to hold the winding when assembling the spool in working condition.
- The left end of the line is passed through the hole on the outside of the bobbin.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and put on the bar of the trimmer.
Coil with two working antennae
In this type of spools, you should determine the number of grooves for winding fishing line lying on the inside of the reel:
- one groove. both antennae are wound together along one groove;
- two grooves. each antennae is wound on an individual groove.
For both cases, a 2-3-meter-long fishing line is taken. In single-groove reels, the fishing line is pulled into the through hole, its ends (antennae) are folded together and aligned, after which they are wound in the opposite direction of rotation of the bobbin on the side of the bar. the correct direction of winding is usually indicated inside the arrow. In the presence of fixing grooves, the ends of the fishing line are threaded into them or held by the fingers of their free hands, threaded into the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the spool is closed and attached to the bar of the trimmer.
The difference between winding fishing line in two-groove reels is that initially a piece of fishing line 2-5 m long is folded in half (to determine the middle bend), and the bend loop is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both antennae of the fishing line are wound each in its own groove, the fixation of the antennae and the reel assembly are similar to the one-groove variant discussed above.
Video: How to Thread a Fishing Line into a Patriot Trimmer Coil
The first implementation of this procedure may seem long and rather laborious, but with time and experience this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show how to put the fishing line into the reel of the trimmer and wrap it correctly. this operation is not difficult and with some patience will certainly succeed:
Automatic reeling of fishing line
There is a variety of coils in which the automatic mechanism makes winding on its own. from the user it is enough just to properly fill the line. The fishing line is passed through the hole on the inside of the case, its antennae without winding is passed through the hole on the external case, the spool is assembled, and when the winding button is rotated, the line inside is wound up independently. In such a spool, it is impossible to make the winding incorrectly: the mechanism itself will determine the correct direction, since it can only turn in one direction.
- Instruction manual
- Common mistakes
Almost every novice when using a trimmer is faced with the problem of changing the line. Despite the fact that changing the line is very simple, you must learn to do it right. Replacing the fishing line with proper dexterity will take no more than five minutes. just enough to constantly practice it. This article will discuss replacing fishing line with Patriot trimmers as an example.
In order to change the fishing line, you must remove the old one (if it was).
A coil is a part of the trimmer design, which is located inside the head of the lawn mowing, drum or reel. Depending on the manufacturer, the heads may be different. But this article only discusses Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Instructions on how to unwind the hand head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head of dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, it is necessary to raise the lawn mowing head up and, holding the casing, remove the special protective cover, dressed on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the coil from the drum. The reel is easily removable even with one hand, because it is not fixed inside the drum.
- The drum itself is bolted to the trimmer. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the reel, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not fixed by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the reel out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the following instructions.
Installing the reel and drum in its original place is performed according to the inverse algorithm.
Before refueling the fishing line, you should make sure that a thread suitable for the trimmer has been purchased. In the event that the thread is not suitable, the fuel or energy consumption increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to directly replace the thread itself, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of fishing line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the coil itself. If it is not possible to determine the exact length, it can be done as follows: insert and twist the thread to such a state that the reel is fully charged (the level of the fishing line compares with the protrusions on the sides of the reel). Care must be taken to ensure that the line sits in the reel evenly.
The instructions for refueling fishing line are described below.
- The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is 0.1-0.15 m longer than the other.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled to the larger, so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, an indent of 0.15 m should be maintained.
- Locate the slot inside the coil baffle. Carefully thread the loop that came out earlier into this slot.
- To continue work, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil. there should be an arrow on it.
- If the pointer arrow could not be found, then it is entirely possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. Inspect the coil head. It has a direction indicator. However, this is the direction of movement of the coil. To get the direction of winding, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to fill the reel with fishing line. It is worth paying attention that inside the coil there are special guide grooves. When wrapping the thread, these grooves must be followed, otherwise the trimmer may be damaged. At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
- When the user winds almost the entire thread, you should take the short end (do not forget about the protrusion of 0.15 m) and stretch it into the hole located in the wall of the coil. Now you need to repeat this action similarly with the other end (on the other hand).
- Put the coil itself in the head of the spool, before threading the line through the holes inside the drum.
- Now is the time to put the drum back in its place. After that, you need to take the ends of the fishing line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the cover back in place (here you can safely make efforts until you hear a characteristic click).
- It remains to perform “cosmetic work”. We need to see if the thread came out too long. You can start a trimmer and check in practice whether everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can cut it with scissors.
Although winding a fishing line is a very simple task, many beginners may not wind a fishing line correctly. Below are the most common errors.
- Many people when measuring the thread think that 4 m is a lot. Because of this, people often measure less, and, accordingly, they do not have enough fishing line. Do not be afraid to measure a lot, because you can always cut off the excess.
- In a hurry, some people do not observe the filling grooves inside the spool and wind the thread at random. This leads to the “flight” of fishing line from the reel and can even cripple.
- For winding, use only the appropriate fishing line. This error is most common. You need to monitor not only the thickness and volume of the fishing line, but also its type. Do not use the first caught fishing line for wrapping, which will not meet the goals. For example, it is not necessary to use a thread on young grass if it is necessary to mow dead wood.
- Do not turn on the device until it is fully wound and collected. Although this is obvious, some people do this in order to check if everything is done correctly.
- In no case should you confuse the direction of refueling, as this will overload the engine, and it will soon go out of operation.
Beginners are quite prone to make mistakes, therefore You must follow the tips in this article.
To learn how to replace a fishing line on a Patriot trimmer, see below.