Sewing off a jammed circle
If, after applying the first 3 methods, the nut does not loosen, then the remaining abrasive disc between the flanges can be grinded off. To do this, do the following.
- Use pliers to remove the rest of the circle around the edges of the nut as much as possible.
- Clamp a piece of sheet metal as thick as the disc itself in a vice, turn on the grinder and grind off the rest of the circle on the end of the sheet metal.
Instead of iron, you can clamp a piece of an abrasive wheel in a vice. In this case, the grinding of the remnants of the tool between the flanges will occur faster, and the nut can be unscrewed by hand.
But the use of a stationary abrasive wheel requires great care, because when grinding the remnants of the tool, the geometry of the flange can be damaged. If this happens, you will have to trim the nut.
The nut can be heated with a gas torch, hot air gun or blowtorch. The heated flange usually turns out to be unscrewed with a standard grinder wrench.
If it is necessary to remove a layer of paint or other application, as well as rust from any surface, use a brush. They are disc-shaped or in the form of a bowl with built-in metal wire.
The wire in these attachments can be twisted or loose. Its thickness can also be different. The thicker the wire, the coarser the roughing is used for the roughing disc or bowl, and vice versa.
Using a puncher
Some owners of grinders, in a situation where the clamping nut is jammed, install a “chisel” or “jackhammer” nozzle into the hammer drill, insert it into the flange hole at an angle and turn on the jackhammer mode without rotation. Accordingly, the stop button must be pressed. Just a couple of gentle clicks with a perforator are enough (so as not to break the shaft retainer), and the nut will begin to turn.
Purpose of discs and attachments
Grinder wheels differ in purpose for:
Selection and replacement of discs for grinders
Angle grinder (angle grinder), commonly called “grinder”, is widely used at construction sites and in everyday life during repairs. It can be used to carry out many different technological processes. In order to choose the right tool for performing a certain type of work, you need to familiarize yourself with what kind of discs and nozzles for angle grinders are. The tool for this device is selected by size and purpose.
How to properly change the disc on the grinder
Since the circles for the grinder are consumables, sooner or later they have to be changed. They are attached to the spindle of the angle grinder using a clamping flange (nut) with M14 thread. To unscrew it, a special open-end wrench with pins on one side must go to the grinder.
So, to replace the tool on the grinder, follow these steps.
- De-energize the device by unplugging the power plug.
- Lock the spindle of the angle grinder using the button located on the front of the case. When the button is pressed, the stopper enters the hole of the disk installed in the gearbox, which fixes the spindle in a stationary position.
- Insert the pins of the key into the holes on the pressure flange.
- While holding the latch with one hand, turn the wrench to the left (counterclockwise) with the other hand until the nut comes loose. Then it can be unscrewed without a key and removed from the shaft. In this case, the spindle of the angle grinder rotates clockwise. But in which direction to unscrew the nut if your apparatus rotates the shaft counterclockwise? Remember: the clamping flange should always be unscrewed in the direction opposite to the rotation of the shaft.
- Now you can change the tool after removing the old one. If you notice that dirt has accumulated inside the casing, then you should remove the lower flange and use a steel brush to remove dirt from all surfaces.
After carrying out the above actions, the replacement of the tool is considered complete.
Disassembly of the gearbox
In the event that the retainer is broken, you will have to disassemble the gearbox to remove the tool from the angle grinder. Use pliers to break off the edges of the remaining abrasive wheel so that you can get to the bolts holding the gear cover. After that, unscrew the fasteners and open the gearbox. The cover will be removed together with the pinion shaft. Further, this shaft should be clamped in a vice, having previously laid aluminum gaskets between the steel jaws, and unscrew the flange using a gas wrench (do not forget to determine the direction of unscrewing).
How to unscrew a nut on a grinder?
The angle grinder, or grinder, is a versatile tool with which you can perform a wide range of actions. It has a simple mechanism of action based on the rotation of the shaft by an electric motor. Essential for cutting metal parts, polishing surfaces and sanding various materials. One of the common problems during the operation of the grinder is biting the nut that holds the disc. This does not allow replacing the nozzle, and strong impact can damage its threads, break a key or break the body.
How to unscrew the nut of the grinder disk (angle grinder) if it is bitten
So, if there is no way with the key, even if you insert it and hit it slightly with a hammer, then we begin to use something more serious.
The first thing you can try, but again without fanaticism, is to take a rod, insert it into the holes on the nut and, using a hammer, move the nut in the direction of its untwisting. The main thing here is not to break the button and not to rip the holes, as here
The second thing that many advise is to warm up the nut. We warm up the nut. As a result, it is slightly, but physically still obliged to expand. Resizing may or may not help.
Do not pull all the way until the scroll hold button stopper or the button itself bursts. In this case, it is not the tool with which you unscrew it that breaks, but often the case of the angle grinder.
The third method is the most effective, and, oddly enough, one of the safest for the grinder itself.
We take and break off the edges of the disk along the nut.
Next, we use a thin metal plate or another disc (thinner), and maybe a second grinder with a disc. In this case, a broken disc must be turned either with a plate or a disc. We try to sharpen the disc so as not to damage the nuts holding this disc, because they will still be useful to us. So we sharpen the whole broken circle until we grind it off and the nut is unscrewed.
This business is 4-5 minutes, no more.
If you will be using a second disc or metal plate, it is best to insert them in a vise to hold them. Since it is dangerous to hold such objects with your hands. This method is the most effective.!
Reasons for biting
As a rule, such a problem occurs on angle grinders with a working surface diameter in the range of 150-180 mm. When a strong torque occurs, the disc bites. This leads to the fact that the attachment cannot be removed with a conventional wrench, even with the application of serious physical effort.
The second common reason is the use of a grinder disc that does not correspond to the factory parameters of the tool. This leads to a disruption in the operation of the entire mechanism and jamming. In rare cases, the nut does not lend itself to loosening when rust appears on its threads. This most often occurs during prolonged use of the instrument or storage without changing the nozzle.
Important! Discs for angle grinders are produced in standard sizes, the diameter varies from 115 to 230 mm. The landing shaft itself is produced with a diameter of 22.2 mm; when using older models, an adapter is required.
Wilo. pumps for water, pumps for heating, drainage pumps
CEME. solenoid valve
Idrosanitaria Bonomi. ball valves, gate valves, valves
Grunbeck. equipment for drinking water treatment
Spirotech. air vents, separators, hydraulic arms
Grundfos. pumps, automation
Italtecnica. pressure switch
AKN. pump protection relay
Pedrollo. well pumps, starters
Zilmet. expansion tanks
Aquafilter. water filters
Danfoss. frequency converters, flow sensors
Remove a grinder disc without the wrench very dangerous
Pump. pumping stations
Zenit. sewage pumps, float switches
Tiemme. fine water filter
Global Water Solutions Ltd. hydroaccumulators
Unidelta. polyethylene pipes, clamping fittings
Square D. pressure switch for pump
Henco. pipe, pipe fittings
F.A.R.G. float valves, pressure reducers
3M. sleeves for cable connection
Cewal. pressure gauges, thermostats
Telcom. drinking water tanks
R.B.M. radiator valves, thermal heads
Flamco. air vents, safety valves
Top Cable. cable for submersible pumps
Imera. expansion tanks, membranes for tanks
Elco EP. liquid level switch, time switch, level sensors
Valrom. polyethylene water pipes and fittings
Enolgas. check valves
GEB. sealants, lubricants, investment materials
Novator. water meters
Facot Chemicals. thread packing materials
Caleffi. mixing valves, water flow switch
Watomo. booster pumps
Speroni. water pumps
DAB. pump automation
B Meters. water meters
Calpeda. centrifugal pumps
Varem. membrane tanks
how to loosen angle grinder disc nut
Bianchi F.lli. brass pipe fittings
MAC3. pressure switches, level switches, float valves
Fourgroup. pump control panels
HPX. insulating tapes
Atlas Filtri. water filters
Albertoni. chrome plated tubes, collet fittings
Spirotech separators are insurance for your home’s heating system. And you only buy it once!
How to avoid snacking?
To avoid trouble when changing the grinder nozzle, it is recommended to prepare in advance for work. To do this, you can insert a small spacer between the disc and the nut. Suitable material is cardboard, a piece of linoleum or plastic.
If the fastener is constantly tightening too tightly, it is advisable to use a circle with a smaller diameter. It is also important to monitor the cleanliness of the tool, timely treat the thread with oil, WD-40.
How to unscrew if tightened?
To begin with, let’s answer a common question: “In which direction is the nut on the grinder unscrewed?”
Remember! You need to unscrew it in the direction of rotation of the disk. Those. if the disc rotates clockwise, then you need to unscrew the nut clockwise.
The easiest way to unscrew the disc mount is to place the wrench and then hit it several times with a moderate hammer.
If that doesn’t work, there are alternative methods for solving the problem:
- warm up the fastening mechanism with a torch, which will lead to the expansion of the metal. As a result, the structure will become mobile;
- use a small metal plate to grind the disc down to the nut itself. Continue grinding until its surface touches the nut and begins to twist it;
- insert the steel pipe into the holes of the nut, use it as a lever to unscrew the tightened nut. Do not use too much force so as not to break the thread;
- lubricate the threads with machine oil such as WD-40. Wait 3-5 minutes and then try unscrewing the mount with a wrench. Using this method, you can also get rid of rust inside the landing shaft;
- if you need to remove a circle that has not been used for a long time, you can start tightening the fasteners even more. After that, try again to weaken it;
- boiled or rusted threads on angle grinders can be treated with turpentine, vinegar, white spirit or rust remover. After processing, you need to wait at least 30 minutes, and then try again to unscrew the nut.
If a situation arises when you are left without a key, you can cut down the stuck mount with a chisel or grind it off with a second grinder with a disc for working on metal. After that, you will have to restore the thread, as well as look for a spare nut. If the circle still does not lend itself, you can try to combine different methods. For example, treat the shaft with machine oil, and then start unscrewing the nozzle with a lever or tapping the mechanism with a hammer.
Important! Do not unscrew the mount with great force. This can lead not only to a breakdown of the thread, but also to breakage of the LBM body itself.
MAC Press. mechanical pressure switch for pump
Tableted salt Claramat
Caleffi thermostatic mixing valves
How to solve the problem of low water pressure in the water supply system
New video on the electrical connection of the float switch for the pump
LBM, or as it is called more popularly and in the folk way, the Bulgarian, nowadays an indispensable and very useful tool. Without him, neither here nor there! And if it suddenly fails, then you have to dodge in every possible way, look for alternatives and think about restoring the instrument. At the same time, it is impossible to use the grinder for its intended purpose because of a kind of simple overlay, when the disc does not unscrew. Rather, the nut that holds this disc is not unscrewed. Here you can “break the wood”, namely, bend or break the key, damage the lock button, break the case, but never unscrew that same unfortunate nut. So, we will warn you right away, if it is not too late. If you suddenly do not unscrew the nut holding the disc with a key, then you need to change tactics. And it is precisely the cardinal method of unscrewing that our article will be devoted.
Grinder discs differ in the following main features:
- Outside diameter;
- Disc thickness;
- The material from which the disc itself is made;
- The characteristic of the maximum rotation speed;
- And, of course, the area of the proposed work.
For the best understanding, let’s look at the main types of grinder discs and give a definition of their application:
- Cut-off wheels. These are the most widely used grinder consumables. Their main purpose is to work with metal, stone and wood. A variety of cutting wheels for the grinder are diamond discs. This is a heavy-duty tooling for the processing of materials of increased strength, such as reinforced concrete, tiles, porcelain stoneware, marble.
- Grinding and roughing discs. As the name implies, this type of disc is used for grinding various materials, for example, polishing products made of stone, or for removing (peeling) the top layer, for example, removing a layer of rust or old paint coating.
remove the disc from the grinder
First, figure out which way to unscrew the nut.
The flange must always be folded in the direction in which the disc rotates.
For this kind of work, you will need either two gas keys or two clamps.
Here’s what you need to do: destroy the remnants of the disc, fix the washer located behind the disc with one key, unscrew the flange with the second.
Cutting wheels for a grinder, in turn, have their own subspecies, such as:
- Cut-off wheels for metal work;
- Abrasive wheels for working with stone;
- Wheels for woodwork;
- Diamond discs (mentioned above).
The purpose of each type of disc usually corresponds to its name.
Among the grinding discs, there are four main subtypes. flap, wire, diamond and bakelite-based grinding discs (straight, T41 profile and disc-shaped, T27 profile).
- The flap disc is made from sandpaper. Its main purpose. it is the elimination of existing coatings such as old paint, primer or paint coat. Also, with disks of this type, wood products are polished.
- Wire discs are used by artisans to remove rust. They can also remove other types of stubborn dirt.
- Diamond discs are used for polishing stone.
- Disc discs are made of plastic or rubber and are used to polish metal surfaces.
Please note: in the process of working with most discs, a special paste or grease is used, which contains abrasives of the finest grinding. They are mainly used for sanding surfaces such as, for example, car body parts.
The main question: How to choose the right disc for a grinder?
When choosing equipment for angle grinders, first of all, you should decide on the type of proposed work. The choice of the type of disc will depend on this. We also want to mention that when choosing a consumable, be sure to take into account the power characteristics of each specific model. Examine the labeling. Often, it is printed on the disc itself and includes a set of symbols by which you can determine the relevance of this consumable to perform the intended work.
Also, focus your attention on such a parameter as the diameter of the disc. In no case should it exceed the size of the protective cover on the particular tool model. The size range of discs is usually represented by the following diameters: 115, 125, 150, 180 and 230 mm. The most common diameters are 125 mm. and 230 mm. They are optimal for most types of work and the capabilities of the tool itself.
Among the grinding discs based on bakelite, the most popular discs with a thickness of 6.00 mm. This parameter depends on the total diameter of the disc. The relationship is as follows: the larger the diameter of the disc, the greater its thickness and vice versa.
How to put the disc on the grinder correctly?
To put the disc on the grinder correctly, it should first be noted that the disc is installed on the grinder spindle using a special clamping flange with M14 thread. Let’s take a closer look at how to remove a disc from a grinder. In order to unscrew the disc from the grinder, you first need to dismantle the flange. Especially for such purposes, manufacturers complete the grinders with a special open-end wrench. It has a specific shape. The pins located on the horns of this key are inserted into specially provided holes on the flange.
To unscrew the flange, we fix the spindle. To do this, we clamp the latch, which is usually a button on the top of the case. When pressed, the cotter pin is placed in the hole in the driven disc of the gearbox, and this in turn prevents it from rotating. Next, we insert the pins of the key into the specially provided holes on the flange, pressing the lock, you must simultaneously turn it counterclockwise and move the flange from its place. If the manipulations were successful and the flange succumbed, you can unscrew it by hand and put it aside.
Now let’s dismantle the disk. Often, in the process of intensive work with the tool, a kind of plaque from small particles of metal and abrasive material forms on the inside of the protective casing. For optimal, stable and durable operation of the grinder, remove the lower part of the flange and clean the casing with a steel brush.
To install a new disk, after cleaning the casing, you must perform the following actions:
- Install the bottom flange in place;
- We put a special gasket on top of it (if gaskets are not provided, you can cut them out yourself. The optimal material will be cardboard or tin).
- Install the disk;
- We put the second gasket;
- Install the top flange on top;
- We wrap the upper flange by hand in the opposite direction from the rotation of the grinder’s circle, while holding the disc itself;
- Next, press the release button again and scroll the flange with your hand until you feel resistance;
- At the final stage, we make the final fixation using the same open-end wrench. To do this, insert the key into the holes and scroll a little more.
Remember that you need to tighten no more than a quarter of a turn, since if the flange is too fixed, the disc will become unusable.
After all the actions taken, you can safely continue to perform work.
One of the most frequently asked questions about mounting / dismounting of angle grinder tooling sounds like this: “Which side to put the disc on the grinder?”.
Usually, inexperienced masters ask such a question. Is it possible to set the circle on the wrong side. Yes. Firstly, if the disc is not flat, but, for example, a petal disc, then you will not be able to install it incorrectly, if the petals are located incorrectly, you just need to twist the casing and the handle on the grinder. That is, the question disappears by itself.
If the circle is still flat, then you should be guided by its label, the so-called “shirt”.
If the grinder rotates towards itself, the disc should be installed with the “shirt” outward, if the disc rotates away from itself, then, accordingly, it must be installed with the “shirt” inward.
If you do not adhere to this algorithm, there is a high probability that the disk will fail very quickly or immediately deform.
How to install correctly?
Installing a disk on an UMSH is not so difficult. You can change it simply by following the instructions, although there are some nuances here.
First of all, you need to install the disc in the correct direction. This is especially important if it is detachable. Usually the side of the disc with the label on which the marking is indicated and, accordingly, the scope of its application, is slightly different from the opposite side. It may not appear immediately, but with prolonged intensive work, the difference will not only be noticeable. it will be obvious.
On the side on which the label is glued, a wide pressure washer is placed, and the movable nut acts on it when tightening (installing the disc). The nut slides on the polished surface of the washer, without it it will become more difficult to tighten or unscrew, since the abrasive will firmly hold the nut and more effort will be required. This is especially important if a quick replacement of the disc is required or if it breaks down (jamming).
There is always a chance of disc failure, but correctly installed, it breaks only under heavy loads, the structure of the discs takes into account the difference in loads on both sides.
With circular saws or other products that have teeth or a significant difference in two sides, there is usually no problem how to set. For example, a grinding disc cannot be fixed on the contrary: it will simply be impossible for them to work.
Discs for stone, including diamond ones, have a special rotation indicator in the form of an arrow: when installing them, you need to fasten them taking into account where the rod will rotate.
It is also important to consider the size of the disk when installing. In no case should you neglect safety and remove the protective cover. it is better to choose a disc of the appropriate diameter. Sometimes on a “grinder” of smaller dimensions they put a worn-out disc from a large unit. However, a worn disc, as a rule, cuts worse, the working surface is limited to about half the radius of the disc, the structure is slightly different. The disc burns faster and does less work. This operation can be justified if the diameter of the stem is the same. But you won’t be able to change it back.
Debris must not get under the disk when installing. Of course, the clamping nut may well squeeze small objects, something will press into the surface of the circle. But an imperceptible skew will cause a displacement of the plane of rotation and, as a result, a strong vibration of the entire mechanism, it can cause the destruction of the disc and, of course, you should not hope for an accurate cut in this case.
Before installing the disc, the “grinder” must be disconnected from the network. this is the main safety requirement, since a sudden turn on at this time is fraught with serious injuries.
The clamping nut must be unscrewed with the wrench supplied with the tool. To prevent the stem from spinning, it must be locked by pressing a special button. It is necessary to unscrew the nut while holding the button down.
After twisting the nut, a disc is put on the released stem, with the front side out, and you need to make sure that it is installed exactly in the seat.
The kit for the new “grinder” always includes a certain number of cardboard spacers. when installing the disc, they must be laid so that they are between the disc and the clamping elements. These gaskets will help unscrew a broken or jammed disc.
Further, the nut is manually tightened up to the stop and tightened with a special wrench. Everything, the “Bulgarian” is ready to work.
How to put the disc on the grinder correctly?
- How to install correctly?
- How to remove it?
- How to change a disk if it is jammed?
The disc of the “grinder” (angle grinder) is one of its main working parts. It is the disc that determines the use of the instrument. With it, this machine can be used to cut, grind or polish various materials. Discs, depending on the purpose, differ from each other: from abrasive chips. for metal, steel milling cutters and circular saws. for woodworking, with diamond dusting. for stone and tiles, all kinds of brushes, brushes and emery wheels. for polishing various surfaces.
The disc “grinder” is a consumable material; you will not be able to save on it in the process of work. The disc will gradually wear out (burn out) and must be replaced. When planning work, you need to be prepared for this and it is better to stock up on several removable disks in advance.
How to remove it?
Discs, especially those designed for cutting, burn out quickly and must be replaced.
How To Remove Stuck NUT Of An Angle Grinder . Very Simple
It will be useful to remind once again about the need to disconnect the “grinder” from the network. Work to be done with fast rotating parts and better protect yourself.
If you need to replace a worn disk, you need to perform a number of simple operations.
- The disc is secured to the stem stem with a threaded nut. In the kit of any angle grinder there is a special key, on the arms of which pins are fixed, which cling to the holes of the flange.
- The spindle is fixed with a special button, the cotter pin of which, when pressed, enters the hole of the gearbox, thus fixing it. Having pressed the button with your right hand, at the same time with your left hand you need to unscrew the fastening nut with a wrench. If the nut has moved from its place, unscrew it by hand. That’s it, now the disc can be removed.
- There are times when the key, for some reason, was not at hand. What to do? The easiest way out is to stop working. But, as they say, this is not our method. It is also possible to unscrew the clamping nut of the “grinder” without a key. Often a pipe (gas) wrench is used for this. On such a key there is a device that spreads it. It is necessary to tighten the nut and, fixing the gearbox of the “grinder” with a button, move it from its place. Then it can be unscrewed by hand.
- The nut has holes for fixing it with pins on the horns of the key, you can unscrew it by tapping with a hammer on a chisel or a bar that is pressed into the hole.
- It is sometimes possible to push the nut off by simply tapping its edge with a hammer in the direction of twisting. However, in this case, damage to the flange may occur, especially the holes for the pins of the key; in the future, it may be impossible to apply the key to such a nut.
- A very good result is obtained when using a nail to make a key. It is better to choose a large nail, from 100 mm. Using a hammer and pliers, the nail is U-shaped. A hacksaw or chisel is used to cut off the tip and head of the nail. With such an improvised key, you can try to knock off the nut. You can bend the ends of such a key, then it will turn into a kind of open-end key, but this will require a lot of labor. You can also insert a gate, for example, a hammer or other nail, into the arc formed by a bent nail.
How to change a disk if it is jammed?
What to do if the circle on the grinder is stuck? This can happen, for example, when, as a result of work, pieces of the workpiece being cut sharply clamp the rotating disc. This often leads to its destruction.
- One of these methods would be to use two gas keys at once. In this case, the remains of the disc must be broken with pliers. With one key, you need to clamp the part of the stem located under the disc, and with the other, unscrew the flange.
- Sometimes, to gain access to the gas wrench to the rod of the “grinder”, you have to disassemble the gearbox.
- A simple device saves from the problem of a jammed nut. cardboard or tin washers. They are often sold with a grinder. But over time, they can be lost or become completely unusable. Making homemade washers is not at all difficult. However, it is better not to neglect them.
In extreme cases, the flange can be sawn with a hacksaw for metal and then replaced with a new one.
If you had to use a gas wrench, you must remember about the very powerful shoulder of such a wrench and about the effort that is applied to the parts of the “grinder”. If you do not act carefully, the spindle lock could be ripped off or the gearbox could be damaged.
All manipulations with the disc of the angle grinder must be carried out with the power supply completely disconnected (the plug must be removed from the socket). Any inadvertent pressing of the start button will cause the electric motor to turn on, and the rod rotation speed is very high. In this case, injuries cannot be avoided.
Working with a grinder involves a large amount of waste in the form of metal or wood shavings and dust. Before starting work, you must wear special safety glasses: they will protect your eyes from fragments of the cutting wheel itself in the event of its jamming and destruction.
Glasses are needed not only as a safety element. If the eyes are protected, more attention can be paid directly to the work of the “grinder”, to ensure the correct cut or the choice of the correct operating mode. This will allow the most efficient use of consumables (cutting wheels), minimizes the occurrence of abnormal situations with a biting disc or its destruction.
A protective mask that completely covers the face will perfectly replace glasses. this is especially important for a visually impaired master who wears diopter glasses, on which safety glasses cannot be worn.
The disc on the “grinder” can be installed both “away from you” and “towards you”, depending on the direction of rotation and, accordingly, the flow of chips. This does not make a fundamental difference in work. However, the “grinder” with a circle “on itself”, when biting the disc, tends to jump out of the cut forward, and not on the one who uses it. This is especially important when working with powerful tools, but a small angle grinder can pose a serious danger.
A specially mounted extension cord with a plug socket, preferably without grounding, will help to quickly stop the operation of a machine that has escaped from the hands.
“Bulgarian” is a rough processing tool and it is not worth striving to obtain an ideal surface as a result of its work, the main thing is to make a rough cut, which later, if necessary, can be processed in other ways.
To work without clamps and jamming, it is better not to cut long metal workpieces to the end, leaving 1–2 mm of metal in the cut: they will be easy to break off afterwards, this will practically not affect the quality of the workpiece.
It is better to place small workpieces in a vice or press them with a clamp to a workbench or other reliable horizontal surface. The quality of the cut and safety depend on the density of pressing.
You can see how to put the disc on the grinder correctly in the next video.