- Instruction manual
- Common mistakes
Almost every novice when using a trimmer is faced with the problem of changing the line. Despite the fact that changing the line is very simple, you must learn to do it right. Replacing the fishing line with proper dexterity will take no more than five minutes. just enough to constantly practice it. This article will discuss replacing fishing line with Patriot trimmers as an example.
In order to change the fishing line, you must remove the old one (if it was).
A coil is a part of the trimmer design, which is located inside the head of the lawn mowing, drum or reel. Depending on the manufacturer, the heads may be different. But this article only discusses Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Instructions on how to unwind the hand head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head of dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, it is necessary to raise the lawn mowing head up and, holding the casing, remove the special protective cover, dressed on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the coil from the drum. The reel is easily removable even with one hand, because it is not fixed inside the drum.
- The drum itself is bolted to the trimmer. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the reel, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not fixed by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the reel out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the following instructions.
Installing the reel and drum in its original place is performed according to the inverse algorithm.
Before refueling the fishing line, you should make sure that a thread suitable for the trimmer has been purchased. In the event that the thread is not suitable, the fuel or energy consumption increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to directly replace the thread itself, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of fishing line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the coil itself. If it is not possible to determine the exact length, it can be done as follows: insert and twist the thread to such a state that the reel is fully charged (the level of the fishing line compares with the protrusions on the sides of the reel). Care must be taken to ensure that the line sits in the reel evenly.
The instructions for refueling fishing line are described below.
- The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is 0.1-0.15 m longer than the other.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled to the larger, so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, an indent of 0.15 m should be maintained.
- Locate the slot inside the coil baffle. Carefully thread the loop that came out earlier into this slot.
- To continue work, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil. there should be an arrow on it.
- If the pointer arrow could not be found, then it is entirely possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. Inspect the coil head. It has a direction indicator. However, this is the direction of movement of the coil. To get the direction of winding, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to fill the reel with fishing line. It is worth paying attention that inside the coil there are special guide grooves. When wrapping the thread, these grooves must be followed, otherwise the trimmer may be damaged. At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
- When the user winds almost the entire thread, you should take the short end (do not forget about the protrusion of 0.15 m) and stretch it into the hole located in the wall of the coil. Now you need to repeat this action similarly with the other end (on the other hand).
- Put the coil itself in the head of the spool, before threading the line through the holes inside the drum.
- Now is the time to put the drum back in its place. After that, you need to take the ends of the fishing line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the cover back in place (here you can safely make efforts until you hear a characteristic click).
- It remains to perform “cosmetic work”. We need to see if the thread came out too long. You can start a trimmer and check in practice whether everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can cut it with scissors.
Video: How to Wind a Fishing Line On a Patriot Trimmer
Although winding a fishing line is a very simple task, many beginners may not wind a fishing line correctly. Below are the most common errors.
- Many people when measuring the thread think that 4 m is a lot. Because of this, people often measure less, and, accordingly, they do not have enough fishing line. Do not be afraid to measure a lot, because you can always cut off the excess.
- In a hurry, some people do not observe the filling grooves inside the spool and wind the thread at random. This leads to the “flight” of fishing line from the reel and can even cripple.
- For winding, use only the appropriate fishing line. This error is most common. You need to monitor not only the thickness and volume of the fishing line, but also its type. Do not use the first caught fishing line for wrapping, which will not meet the goals. For example, it is not necessary to use a thread on young grass if it is necessary to mow dead wood.
- Do not turn on the device until it is fully wound and collected. Although this is obvious, some people do this in order to check if everything is done correctly.
- In no case should you confuse the direction of refueling, as this will overload the engine, and it will soon go out of operation.
Beginners are quite prone to make mistakes, therefore You must follow the tips in this article.
To learn how to replace a fishing line on a Patriot trimmer, see below.
Despite the fact that gardening equipment has been used for a long time, for some owners of private houses it is still a novelty. That is why often questions arise about how to properly wind a line on an electric or gas trimmer.
This is essentially a simple operation, but all its stages must be performed correctly to achieve the desired result. over, in the operating instructions, only a few manufacturers give an answer to this urgent question. Study the article and find out how the line is wound around the reel of the trimmer.
The procedure for winding fishing line on the trimmer reel
First of all, you should know that trimmers have different working nozzles. The reel can be designed for different lengths and thicknesses of fishing line. this point should be considered when purchasing supplies.
So, how do you charge the fishing line into the trimmer coil? All work is divided into several stages:
- First you need to disassemble the trimmer head.
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right.
- Press your fingers on the two latches located on opposite sides of the slots, and remove the top cover of the nozzle. You can pry the cover with a screwdriver. This should be done carefully: the reels with automatic line feed have a spring, which can forcefully drop the lid along with all the contents of the reel.
- Remove scraps of old fishing line.
- Now you need to find the middle of the fishing line. To do this, rewind it to the required length (for example, 10 m), cut and fold in half.
- Hook the middle of the fishing line into an existing recess or insert it into the hole specially designed for this. And start winding. The direction is indicated by the arrow, which is usually applied to the body of the trimmer coil (usually against the rotation of the drum). Some models have a double-sided reel: in this case, the fishing line should be wound in different directions: one end. in one direction, the other. in the other, while the loop of the fishing line must be brought into the dividing slot located in the middle.
- Leave the loose ends of the fishing line about 20 cm long each. Later they will need to be fixed in the recesses.
- And finally, the last step will be drum assembly. Replace the washers and spring. On the upper ring of the reel there are two recesses where you need to fill the antenna line of the fishing line. Pass them through the holes and install the reel in the drum, trying to tighten the fishing line and not displace the spring.
- Place the drum cover on top and close it with your fingers. The latches will snap into place with a distinctive click.
When you turn on the trimmer, the excess fishing line will be cut off by the cutting blade itself.
As you can see, it is easy to wind the line onto the reel of the trimmer: the main thing is to do everything right. And here are some more tips that will be useful to you when choosing a fishing line, its winding and subsequent work:
- fishing line is of different thickness and with different cross-section. The best option for winding is the “native” for this model of fishing line;
- Never use a fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. Such a replacement may seem effective, but it is very dangerous. Jumping off a working trimmer, the cable can seriously injure not only the lawn mower, but also others;
- the fishing line is cut off when the working trimmer comes into contact with solid objects. Try not to allow this, otherwise you will have to stop every time, turn off the device and rewind the fishing line onto the reel;
- Use a straight line for mowing grass and a pigtail line for coarse weeds. It is more durable and will not be permanently cut.