Lawn mower or trimmer? Perhaps sooner or later this question is asked by any owner of a private farm or garden plot.
But choosing between these two units is not entirely correct, because, despite the similarity of their purpose, these are devices of different planes and they solve somewhat different problems. We will deal with the basic features and purpose of these devices.
Trimmers. varieties, design and use features
The trimmer is an aggregate equipped with an electric or gasoline engine with direct drive to a rotating axis on which the cutting elements are mounted. As cutting elements, either steel knives, or disks, or nylon fishing line are used. The width of the trimmer is usually not more than 25-40 cm.The main purpose of the trimmers is to cut the grass and thin young shoots in small areas, as well as around trees in gardens and in any inaccessible places where grass cutting by other technical means is impossible.
Conventionally, trimmers can be divided into several types. By engine type:
- Electric (battery and network)
By type of cutting elements:
- Reel with fishing line (cord) of various thicknesses
- Metal knives / wheels
- Universal. alternate installation of fishing lines and knives is possible
- Manual. with one or two handles
- Shoulder. with shoulder straps
- Knapsacks. the motor, like a satchel, is hung on the back, and through a flexible drive, the torque is transmitted to the knives through the light handle
Due to the design features and performance, trimmers are often used to process small areas and adjacent territories.
The key advantages of trimmers include:
- Compactness and low weight. the weight of the trimmer is on average from 4 to 10 kg. It is easy to store in an ordinary pantry.
- Low power consumption. the power of most trimmers does not exceed 1 kW, and it is easy to imagine how much an engine with a capacity of 25 cubes can consume
- Ability to work in cramped conditions. around tree trunks, along fences, in narrow aisles, on uneven areas
This type of garden equipment has its disadvantages:
- The inability to process large areas. the trimmer is always in the hands or on the back, so even when processing small areas, fatigue quickly makes itself felt
- High noise level. often it is necessary to carry out work with headphones, since trimmers produce quite a lot of noise. their small engines do not require the use of integrated jamming systems and soundproofing of the enclosures
- The inability to even mow the grass to create a beautiful lawn carpet
Video: Lawn Mower Or Trimmer Which is Better
Sergey from the Leningrad Region tells about the use of the Bosch trimmer: “For mowing wild grass on a garden plot of 4 acres, I did not spend money on expensive equipment. I took the cheapest electric trimmer from the model line BOSCH. The trimmer weighs about 5-6 kilograms, which begins to be felt after a few minutes of work. For myself, I noted the unreliability of the fixing of the handle. it always twists out for itself, it is impossible to clamp it well, which prevents it from working. Another negative point. a very short power cord. is just a stub of 30 centimeters. Constantly dangles along with an extension cord outlet in the air at hand. Quite often, you have to pull the fishing line out of the reel (maybe just the fishing line itself is of poor quality). If you get on a young shoot. the line immediately breaks. Intense work makes the drum a little melted. I spent about half an hour on cleaning the grass in 4 hundred parts. When overheating, the trimmer is blocked. you need to wait. I will evaluate it on a ten-point scale at 7 with a plus. Plus. for relatively quiet work, the sound is soft, muffled. I think the more expensive models of the manufacturer are worthy of praise."
Lawn mowers and their features
Lawn mowers are wheeled units equipped with electric or gasoline (diesel) engines, designed to mow lawns and mow vegetation over large areas. There are many varieties of lawn mowers. They are classified not only by engine type, but by type of cutting elements:
- Classic rotary lawn mowers. cutting steel knives rotating in a horizontal plane are mounted on a vertical axis
- Cylindrical. knives of a special shape are mounted on horizontal shafts, and their rotation is carried out in a vertical plane, which is believed to provide a better cut, after which the grass grows faster, creating a more even carpet
By the method of transportation:
- Manual. the operator is forced to make efforts to move the mower around
- Self-propelled. the drive on wheels provides their independent advancement
- "Ride on." the operator sits in a special seat of the lawn mower, which in appearance resembles a mini-tractor
By the method of collecting grass:
- With a bag or collecting tank. the area remains almost clean after mowing
- Without a bag or tank. the grass remains on the site and is removed separately
- Mowers. a separate category of mowers directly for mowing hay and tall dense grass, young trees up to 4 cm thick
There are also hovercraft mowers, but they are in much less demand. This is due to their high cost and a large number of minuses than pluses. Another category of lawn mowers that are not in great demand are robots, fully automated mowers that are able to independently carry out all work on mowing the lawn, choosing the most suitable time and conditions for this.
Features of the use of lawn mowers and their pros and cons
Since the main purpose of lawn mowers is to cut grass on lawns, many of them are adapted specifically for this work, which is expressed in the following features:
- Possibility of processing large areas
- Ability to adjust the height of the knives (determines the length of grass after cutting)
- Smooth grass mowing. as a result, you can get an even grass carpet