Posted by Aleksey Ryndya
category expert "Power tool"
Cordless screwdriver. a hand tool designed for screwing and unscrewing fasteners (screws, screws, screws). It is a compact, lightweight, easy-to-manage assistant for solving simple tasks at home or in a professional environment. A definite plus is the affordable cost of most models with good functionality.
After reading the article to the end, you will have a clear understanding of what types of electric screwdrivers exist, what are their features and, finally, you can decide which option is best to choose specifically for your purpose.
What is the difference between a screwdriver and a screwdriver?
Modern manufacturers of cordless tools offer a very rich assortment of products that are similar in functionality and purpose. But this does not mean that they can always replace each other. A vivid example of this is an electric screwdriver and a screwdriver. Please note that a screwdriver is able to replace a screwdriver, but vice versa does not work out. But do not consider it a useless thing, because everything has its own purpose and scope.
Agree that the first to the eye is the difference in size. Small screwdrivers, some models even fit in your pocket. But this is only a visual difference from a screwdriver. In fact, it is more advisable to judge by technical characteristics. Consider the main ones.
- Power (torque generated by the gearbox)
If you take cordless screwdrivers that perfectly perform drilling and twisting of fasteners into any materials, power is the main indicator of their work. But with cordless screwdrivers, on the contrary, drilling is possible only in certain models, and then it is ineffective, since the speed is low, and the torque is small. There is hope that it will turn out to tighten the long fasteners, but this will be the only case after which the battery energy will be exhausted.
It makes no sense to use large-capacity batteries in tools for domestic use or small-scale production. Rather, it is necessary for screwdrivers who are designed for large volumes of work. In electric screwdrivers, the batteries are much weaker, they function for a short time, because in most models the battery itself is built into the case, and for small dimensions, light weight and ease of use, the volume of the tool is an extremely important element. There are, of course, professional series with interchangeable batteries, but at a price they are expensive for the average buyer.
The cordless screwdriver is equipped with a mounting hole for snap-in with a hexagonal shank. Due to this, it becomes impractical to use it as a drill. On screwdrivers with a drilling function, a self-clamping chuck is installed, which allows you to fix an extended assortment of nozzles.
So, having examined the differences in the main characteristics, I want to remind you that this is information against the background of a comparison with a screwdriver. And, if you compare it, for example with a powerful drill, then he will lose too. You need to understand that when the tool is used for its intended purpose, it copes well with the functions assigned to it.
Video: What is the difference between a screwdriver and an electric screwdriver
I propose to clearly define the advantages of an electric screwdriver:
- Compact dimensions;
- A light weight;
- Most products are equipped with modern lithium-ion batteries;
- The possibility of comfortable work in hard to reach places;
- Narrow specialization, which significantly increases the efficiency of each model;
- Affordable price.
How to choose a cordless screwdriver?
The operation of this tool is directly dependent on the battery. On the one hand, this guarantees mobility. On the other hand, it does not work very long, and when the battery is discharged, it needs to be recharged or fully charged. This option is only possible with a power source. It turns out that there is a dependence on the energy supply and the point of energy supply. Spending on a full charge will take 3-6 hours (for household series) and up to 1 hour (for a professional class). A smart solution is to purchase a model with the option to quickly replace the battery. These are devices with the “AAA” type of battery, which allow the use of simple finger-type batteries, but which function less time.
Only advanced professional-grade tools are equipped with replaceable batteries and chargers with quick charge function. They are considered ideal for continuous work. Want to get such an assistant? Then be prepared to invest, because the price is not the lowest.
Choosing a cordless screwdriver is a snap if you clearly understand where and how you plan to operate it. As for the class of the product, everything is clear: household ones are used to solve home problems, and professional ones are useful to builders, installers, carpenters, furniture makers, car mechanics. The advisability of buying a professional device for home use is an individual decision.
Advice! Do not chase the cheapest or the most expensive. Choose a middle ground, this will be the best combination of functionality and price.
What else is worth paying attention to? I propose to analyze the main selection criteria regarding functionality.
- Type of battery. They are divided into nickel-cadmium, as well as lithium-ion batteries. efficient, of course, is Li-ion. They function more resiliently, withstand more discharge-charge cycles, and are more durable. Less: nickel-cadmium do not tolerate low temperatures. Consider this nuance when buying;
- The number of revolutions. One of the main parameters indicating the performance of the device. Well, when it is possible to adjust the speed of rotation of the bits;
- Number of speeds. If there are two, then the first is usually designed to tighten fasteners, and the second can be drilled;
- Torque. Planning to work with hard materials? Then choose a tool with high torque. The more adjustment variations, the better;
- Reverse move. Allows you to twist the fasteners in the opposite direction. Not every cordless screwdriver has this option;
- Housing design. An advantage is the adjustable handle, which can be installed in a straight line or at an angle. Thanks to this, working with the device is comfortable along the edges, and also in areas with difficult access;
- Sophisticated ergonomics, easy handling. An electric screwdriver should fit comfortably in your hand. The presence of rubberized inserts is desirable. An intuitive level of understanding of management is appreciated. All elements should be located in comfortable accessibility.
The higher the characteristics, the wider the functionality, but still you should not expect that the electric screwdriver will exceed its purpose. Drilling hard materials, twisting long self-tapping screws, working with metal will be very problematic for her. either the battery will quickly sink or you will purposefully kill the tool. In that case, I would recommend that you consider a cordless drill / driver.
Summing up, I want to note that there is nothing complicated in choosing the right assistant for screwdriver work. To easily and quickly decide, follow the simple recommendations from this article. And I also recommend that you familiarize yourself with the TOP-5 rating of cordless screwdrivers on the With Trading website. It contains popular models based on the results of sales and customer loyalty, as well as the ratio of quality, functionality, price.