A hand drill is a tool that was very popular before the advent of a power tool. Each respected master in his arsenal had at least one such drill, which was simply an indispensable assistant. But such a tool has a significant drawback. the need to use physical force. Today, such tools are replaced by more rational ones. electric drills and cordless screwdrivers. New tools have appeared, but what about the old hand drills? Whoever has a hand drill from the Soviet Union lying around in the garage, do not rush to dispose of it. Something useful can be made from this tool. This article will cover a few ideas.
Features of a hand drill
A hand drill was created in order to drill holes in various types of materials: wood, plastic and metal. The principle of operation is based on a pair of gears of various diameters, which allows increasing the speed of rotation, making the tool quite suitable for drilling. Thanks to the gear mechanism, the tool has become widespread and is used even today.
The interest in the use of a hand drill has decreased since the invention of electric drills, but still resort to the use of this tool in extreme cases when there is no electricity, and you need to urgently drill a hole. We will not delve into the details of this tool, but rather find out what can be done from an old hand drill?
If you are wondering what can be done from an old hand drill, then you are on the right track. Do not rush to throw it away, because of it you can make a great prefix to a screwdriver. The finished product will allow you to unscrew and twist various types of fasteners in hard-to-reach places, using a screwdriver. How to make such a device, consider in more detail.
- Initially, it is necessary to remove the chuck from the tool so that one shaft remains.
- The tool shaft has a sufficiently large diameter, so it cannot be fixed in the screwdriver’s chuck. It should be sharpened a little so that it can be inserted into the cartridge and fixed. To do this, you need to use a lathe. Grinding the shaft with an emery wheel or an angle grinder is not recommended, since it will not work out evenly. To install the shaft on a lathe, it must first be removed, for which the gear is unfastened.
- After the shaft will be sharpened to a certain diameter, you can proceed to reinstall it. When installing the shaft, you can lubricate the ball-bearing.
- Now it remains to begin preparing the second shaft, which will be the main one for installing the corresponding heads under the fasteners. So that replaceable heads can be put on this shaft, it should be turned into a square (usually 12.7 by 12.7 mm). To do this, you can use an angle grinder with an abrasive disk.
- To make the tool smaller, you should trim the handle, as shown in the photo below.
- Now you can put the appropriate heads on the resulting prefix, as well as fix it in the chuck of a screwdriver, and proceed with the tests.
Video: What You Can Do From A Hand Drill
The advantages of such an attachment for a screwdriver
The advantages of this console should include the following points:
- An increase in the torque of the screwdriver is about 6-7 times.
- The ability to screw and unscrew bolts and nuts in hard to reach places.
- Ease of manufacturing fixtures.
- It does not require any additional investment.
- Expanding opportunities when working with a screwdriver.
Such a homemade prefix is sure to come in handy in the household, as well as during the repair work of the car.
What to make from an old hand drill: option 2
From a hand drill, you can also make a very convenient key, something like a ratchet. This will require only two gears and some additional details. The result is a tool of the type shown in the photo below.
Details of its manufacture can be seen in the video:
In conclusion, it should be noted that such a useful thing as a hand drill is fraught with a lot of ideas for application.