One of the tools used for cutting ceramic tiles is a grinder. an angle grinder (angle grinder), commonly referred to as an angle grinder.
The price range of various models of the grinder makes it accessible not only to professionals, but also to home craftsmen, therefore when using a angle grinder it is necessary to know not only the capabilities of this power tool, but also the rules for handling it to avoid personal injury.
At home, they use a small grinder, designed to work with disks with a diameter of 100-125 mm and performing many operations. The tool can be equipped with a speed controller.
Safety Precautions During Operation Angle Grinder
To avoid injuries during operation of the angle grinder, the following rules must be observed:
- when working, use personal protective equipment. gloves, protective clothing, safety shoes, glasses, a respirator;
- You can work with a grinder only with a steel protective cover mounted on the tool;
The dust is explosive, so you need to cut or grind the material with an angle grinder in a well-ventilated area.
Ceramic Cutting Discs Angle Grinder
For cutting ceramic tiles, angle grinders use stone or diamond-coated steel wheels (dry cutters). Sukhoreza, in turn, are divided into solid and segmented. The more intense the diamond coating on the dry cutter, the more efficient and more durable the disc will be.
Stone disks are several times cheaper than dry cutters, but they are worn out during operation and must be replaced with new ones. In addition, they are thicker than dry cutters, so the thickness of the cut line with the stone nozzle is wider and, accordingly, more dust is formed during operation.
In the process of cutting with a stone nozzle, it is necessary to monitor the state of its cutting edge. if a chip or burr has formed on the edge, the disc must be replaced immediately, since such damage is fraught with destruction of the nozzle and causing injury.
A ceramic cutter can cut ceramic tiles without water cooling, but the duration of one continuous cut should not exceed 1-1.5 minutes, after which the disk is allowed to cool when idling. When buying a dry cutter, a tool with a continuous diamond coating is preferred.
If during cutting a solid luminous spark-strip appeared on the cutting edge of the dry cutter. the phenomenon of “licking” of the metal, then the temperature at the cut point of the tile in this situation rises sharply, which is fraught with damage to the material. In this case, a rotary dry cutter can make several cuts on any abrasive surface (concrete, plaster), and the disk returns to working condition.
Sukhoreza are divided into 2 types:
This type of nozzles for an angle grinder is a steel disk with evenly spaced slots directed from the cutting edge to the center and dividing the disk into equal segments. A segmented nozzle can cut tiles made of porcelain stoneware and natural stone. The slots between the disk segments are used to increase the life of the nozzle due to improved air cooling of the tool during cutting of hard facing material, but increase the formation of chips.
Continuous dry cutters
With this type of dry cutter, you can not only cut ceramic tiles, but also process the cut edge with a working lateral surface. The absence of tool detonation during operation due to the continuous shape of the disk increases the cutting speed, allows you to cut a fragment evenly and reduces the number of chips.
Direct Ceramic Cutting Angle Grinder
On the front side of the ceramic tile with an alcohol marker, a cutting line is applied. The angle grinder is turned on and given to it a couple of seconds to set the desired speed.
The disk on the grinder must be fixed correctly. using a special key and in accordance with the direction of rotation indicated on it.
The optimal value of the speed of rotation of a disk with a diameter of 100-125 mm when cutting ceramic tiles is 6-8 thousand revolutions per minute. The tile is placed on a flat wooden surface, fixed with a clamp through a sheet of rubber, or you can simply press it against the board with the sole of your foot (shod in safety shoes!).
Exactly along the intended line, an incision is made with a depth of 1-5 mm, depending on the material and the thickness of the tile. From the edge of the material, they begin to cut slowly, then the angle grinder is moved faster. so the cut is smoother. After making an incision, the tile can be broken by placing a pair of nails under it opposite the beginning and end of the incision.
Cutting angle grinder of large diameter holes
The center of the circle is marked with an alcohol marker on ceramics and a through hole with a diameter of 3-4 mm is drilled exactly at the mark with a carbide drill. Then, on both sides of the tile, a circle contour of a given diameter is applied. An angle grinder with a disk makes cuts 1-2 mm deep along the contour of the future hole on both sides of the tile, and then cuts through the inside of the contour and make small pieces of ceramics from it with pliers. The inner surface of the cut along the perimeter of the hole can be treated with rough sandpaper or a file until there are no chips.
Grinder cutting in a tile of rectangular holes
Marker and ruler on the front side of the tile mark the contour of the cut and exactly in its corners, without going beyond the boundaries of the contour, drill holes with a diameter of 5-7 mm with a carbide drill. Then, the angle grinder makes through cuts between the holes along the perimeter of the rectangular contour, removes the cut ceramic fragment and finishes the corners and surface of the cut with rough sandpaper or a file.
Tile cutting grinder angle grinder
If an oval-shaped figure is required to be cut out of the ceramic tile, then an angle grinder is cut short along the tangent to the outer contour of the figure in order to cut off small fragments of the ceramic to be removed. At the end of cutting, the surface of the cuts is modified with an abrasive tool until the lines are smooth and there are no chips.
When it is necessary to cut a figured hole in the tile, then the material is cut from the angle grinder exactly along the contour, gradually moving away from it inward and increasing the depth of cut. After cutting the tile through the edges of the hole, modify the rough sandpaper.
For work such as the use of an angle grinder for cutting, you must adhere to a number of rules, and then your actions will not end with an injury.
Here is a list of highlights:
- Before starting work, check how the disk walks, if any elements are hurt;
- Next. check the sharpness of the disk, because if the tool becomes dull, then there is a possibility that it can just fly apart, which again will lead to injuries;
- Be sure to wear safety glasses that will protect your eyes from flying splinters;
- When working, you need no one to distract you;
- You need to start cutting the tile when the disk on the angle grinder is completely untwisted.
Important! The angle grinder needs to be driven away from you, you cannot work the tool at an angle so that sparks are streaming in your direction. With a side cut, the angle grinder is held so that the tool is directed towards you by the protective “cover” of the disc, and the visible cutting part is away from you.
They work with the tool on their own so that in case of clamping the disc, the latter will fly out in the opposite direction from you, and not on you.
And yet. you need to work the angle grinder to a distance of no more than half a meter (ideal for tiles, right?), Otherwise the wire is pulled, you can reflexively raise your hand with a working tool and seriously injure yourself and others.
In addition, the principle of cutting with this tool is not to press on the angle grinder during operation, the tool itself must produce a cut.
In principle, there is nothing complicated, and with due regard to work, you will succeed.
Competent Video Angle Grinder
Here we attach a video where cutting is carried out as competently as possible, note that the master does not press on the tool, it just leads. Yes, and the cutting base is directed from the master, and it is facing the protective case.
So, for direct cutting you need:
- Metal ruler for drawing a line
- Protective glasses
- Angle Grinder
So, double-check your measurements, they should be correct, as they say, try on seven times, cut one, and now the direct answer to the question is whether it is possible to cut a tile with an angle grinder.
So, here is the algorithm of your actions:
Important! The movement should be smooth, solitary, you can not move the disk here and there.
If you are cutting porcelain tiles, then you need to do it on a plane with which one edge of the tile will hang, because the cut should be full width.
But for ordinary tiles, it’s enough not to cut through to the end, but only to go half the thickness of the tile. Next. you will proceed as follows:
Put the tile on the edge of the table so that the line of the notch coincides with this edge, now with your left hand hold one edge of the tile, and with your right hand make a small effort by pressing. The tile will break evenly along the cut line.
So, here is the answer to the question of whether it is possible to cut a tile with an angle grinder.
To minimize the risk of injury, you must adhere to the following rules:
Basic cutting methods
There are three main ways to cut a tile angle grinder:
Straight cut. This basic method is the simplest of all possible, the knife to the tile is located at an angle of 90 °. Before the cutting process itself, it is necessary to ensure the position of the tile so that the fishing line remains on the weight.
- Cut out at the corners. This method is much more complicated than the previous one and brings some difficulties. Initially, a standard direct cut is performed. Then the inner or outer edge of the tile using an angle grinder is processed at the desired angle.
- The hole in the body of the tile. If you need to cut a hole in the middle of the tile, then the first thing to do is to mark the place of the intended cut. Then in the center of the circle with a marker draw straight lines for the future hole. After all the preparatory work is completed, you can proceed, slowly cut the desired hole. For such work, a thin section machine with a minimum cutting disc diameter is best suited.
So that after cutting the right size, the wall or floor covering looks neat and without chips, you need to responsibly approach the process of cutting and cutting. To ensure the most even edge, be sure to follow these recommendations:
Tile Cutting Discs
For cutting ceramic or granite tiles, stone disks or steel circles with an edge from diamond spraying (Sukhoreza) are used. As practice has shown, diamond circles had the best performance when cutting off the edges of porcelain stoneware or just ceramics. Further, more about each of the discs.
Simple stone discs
Such circles are the cheapest designed for stone, their resource is short, and they undergo frequent replacement. In addition, they are thicker than their diamond competitors, respectively, and the fishing line is thicker in these circles, and there is also more dust formation during operation. In such circles, there is a high risk of chips on the cutting edge, and it seems that the disk remains intact, but for safety reasons it must be replaced, because further destruction of the edge can cause injury to the worker.
Diamond coated blades
Dryers can carry high loads without overheating and destruction. The only condition is that direct contact with the cutting surface should not exceed 90 seconds, then the disk must be cooled at idle, after which you can start working again. When buying a cutting tool, craftsmen often prefer continuous diamond spraying.
If during the cut you notice a luminous strip along the entire edge of the circle, then immediately stop the process, otherwise the tile will be overheated and damaged. But do not get upset, the drive is still working, but it has overheated. It is worth making a couple of cuts on any abrasive surface (rubble stone, granite, sandstone), and the circle will again be like new. There are two types of cutters: segmented, solid.
- Segmented Diamond Blades. This type is presented in the form of a steel disk divided into segments. In fact, the disc has a discontinuous cutting edge. With this circle, you can cut off both ceramics and natural stone. Despite the fact that the cooling capacity of such discs is better, they often leave chips when cutting, so they are most likely not suitable for filigree work.
- Diamond coated solid circles. These circles can perform a wider range of work: in addition to cutting tiles and stone, they can also process the side edge, giving it the desired angle and shape. Due to minimal detonation, the circle allows you to cut glazed tiles with virtually no chips.
Cutting tiles without chips
To minimize the number of chips, try to adhere to the following rules when working with the tool:
- Linear cut. Mark the front of the tile with a construction marker. Ensure that the disk is mounted correctly in the direction of rotation indicated on the machine’s thin section and on the wheel. Bring the angle grinder in working condition and let it gain working speed. Fix the tile through the rubber gasket with clamps on a flat surface so that during the cutting process to exclude its sudden change in position. Along the marking line, without effort, make a uniform cut with a depth of 2-4 mm, based on the thickness of the glaze and the tile body itself. Pass through the glaze very slowly and as responsibly as possible, after this stage you can apply a little pressure and bring the process to completion. And there is also the option not to cut the tile body to the end, and to break off the cut edge and finish the edge with an abrasive.
- Large diameter round hole. Draw a marker on the point that will be the center of the circle. Then, with a drill with a victorious tip, drill a hole through the mark with a diameter of 3-4 mm. Now on both sides of the tile you need to mark the circle of the desired diameter. Then, using an angle grinder, make short cuts of 2-3 mm along the contour of the marked circle, only after that you can cut the circle from the inside through the cuts, and remove the remains with pliers. To completely remove chips, the edges of the hole should be treated with a file and sandpaper.
- Rectangular hole. Make a linear marking of the hole using a marker and a pattern, then at the corners, not protruding beyond the marked contour, drill through holes with a diameter of 7 mm. After that, use an angle grinder to connect the holes with even cuts. Now you can remove the cut out ceramic fragment, and process the edges until the chips disappear.
Video: Can I Cut Tile Disc Metal
If desired, a hole of any diameter and shape can be cut out in the body of the tile, especially in the modern construction world there are all kinds of nozzles and devices for angular grinding machines. The only thing that can never be forgotten is the observance of the necessary safety measures when working with an angle grinder!
Using an angle grinder to cut tiles
An angle grinder is a tool that has a cutting blade with a diamond coating, it allows you to perform a dry cut. Before starting work with such a tool, you must correctly install the disk, check the reliability and safety of its fastening. Experience with an angle grinder will not hurt, as this tool is injurious.
Many people ask the question: is it possible to cut tiles with an angle grinder if large volumes are planned? It is impossible to say yes or no, the tile cutter is most suitable for this work. But if it is not there, then an angle grinder is also suitable, only the work will be a little more complicated. The problem is that when cutting, chips, cracks and other defects can form. The glazed surface may simply not withstand such an impact, as a result a large amount of marriage will appear. This once again confirms the fact that it is an angle grinder that needs experience in cutting, special attention must be paid to the quality of the diamond wheel and its use.
To cut the tile angle grinder, you must prepare:
- ceramic tiles, on the surface of which a marker is applied with a marker;
- Angle Grinder;
- special disc wheels that have diamond spraying.
The disk is installed only in the direction of movement, cutting begins when the tile is firmly fixed to the base. It is necessary to cut, slightly departing from the edge of the marking line, it is not necessary to deepen the circle. Cutting is carried out in only one step. It is categorically impossible to do a test cut, then to continue. If this rule is not observed, then chips, cracks, various irregularities and defects will certainly appear on the surface. Of course, the unevenness of the cut can also be polished, but this already requires some experience and skills, it is unlikely that such work can be done without preparation, the percentage of marriage will become large.
The question of whether it is possible to use an angle grinder for cutting ceramic tiles, cannot be resolved unambiguously. With large volumes, this tool is convenient. The tool must be handled carefully, it is recommended to use safety glasses, as flying fragments can injure. Water for the disk is not required, this cut is dry. In fact, only the angle grinder itself and the tile are required, which must be fixed during cutting so that an uneven cut does not occur.
How to work with a tile cutter?
This tool is suitable only for a small amount of work, it can be cut with inexpensive tile, which is not so badly damaged.
The simplest representative of a hand tool is the tongs, which have a cutting roller, a sponge made of plastic or metal, which acts as a supporting platform. With this tool, tile is cut along the front, glazed side, after which it simply splits with a gentle pressure on the working sponge. Tongs are great for cutting a small number of tiles.
Manual mechanical machines have guides along which the cutter moves. Some have a special mechanism for the angular cut, which is also called the "ballerina". It allows you to make holes in ceramic tiles quite quickly and efficiently. Tiles are placed on the machine only with the face up, after which a cut is made on the marking. But such a tool is completely unsuitable if it is necessary to perform a section of a relief tile, plus some experience is required, since otherwise the materials will have a large share of marriage.
Electric tile cutters are more perfect, but their cost is higher. They are available in different sizes, may differ in a set of functions. Most often, these are convenient machines with a working table, cutting is performed with a special diamond-coated disk. Such a machine allows even partial cuts, cuts at an angle, cuts for joining tiles. The weight and dimensions of the machine are quite large; there must be good reasons for its purchase.
How much more profitable is a tile cutter, is it convenient for them to cut a tile? Pay attention to the amount of work required. For ordinary laying of the floor tile, it is best to take a small mechanical tool that will allow you to cut a couple of dozen plates. The cost of such a tool is low, and experience with it is absolutely not required. If tile cutting is planned on a large scale, it will be carried out quite often, it makes sense to purchase an electric tile cutter, which will provide high quality work.
Other cutting tools
Is it possible to cut tiles, while receiving curly holes and elements? Yes, an electric jigsaw is usually used for this, which makes it possible to quickly and efficiently cut almost any kind. This is a universal tool that is most often used for floor tiles or for wall tiles of various formats. During operation, the jigsaw can become very hot, so it is recommended to wet the treated surfaces with plain water.
Well suited for cutting ceramic tiles and ordinary glass cutter. First, with the help of a roller special tool, an incision must be made on the surface. After that, divide the plate into parts with a neat sharp movement. This method is used if it is necessary to clad a wall or floor, but the volume of cladding is relatively small. If you need to lay out a large area with tiles, it will be more convenient to cut an angle grinder.
How to make holes in a tile?
Before laying tiles, you often have to not only cut, but also make holes in it. This is necessary for finishing plots near utilities, heating mains. It is impossible to perform such work with an ordinary angle grinder, since it simply is not adapted for this. Here completely different tools are used.
For small round holes that are located at the edges of the tiles, you can use special tongs. The procedure itself is as follows: on the wrong side of the tile, you need to make markings, mark the area with a marker. After this, forceps are taken, which in appearance strongly resemble ordinary pliers, but with very sharp edges. They break off small pieces of tile in the selected area.
An ordinary hammer is also used for processing, although experts usually do not recommend its use, since cracks and chips may remain on the surface of the tile. The hammer is used only for holes of small diameter, for example, if it is necessary to pull the cables. To perform this work, you first need to mark the point for the future hole, and then attach an awl or other similar tool with the point down to it. With a hammer, gently hit the awl, leaving a hole in the tile.
But the most popular tool for making holes of the required diameter is a drill. It is enough to choose the tips of the required size, apply markings on the tile itself. As a result, you can get neat holes with smooth edges that do not spoil the appearance. So cutting tiles is more convenient and faster.
Tile cutting at 45 degrees
To adapt the canvas to the size of the wall, you need to use special cutting tools, such as a tile cutter, angle grinder, jigsaw and the like. It is much more convenient to cut a tile without chipping an angle grinder than other tools, as this tool has a number of advantages that cannot be ignored.
For cutting ceramic tiles, angle grinders use stone or diamond-coated steel wheels (dry cutters)
- Unlike a tile cutter, which is designed specifically for sawing ceramic tiles, an angle grinder can handle the material regardless of its thickness, configuration, or even structure.
- Using an angle grinder, it is possible to cut holes in a ceramic tile, even and without teeth.
- The hardness of the tile can be different, and therefore different efforts are needed to cut the material qualitatively. An angle grinder can cut absolutely any tile even if it is porcelain tile, regardless of thickness.
- Sawing the tiles with an angle grinder can be done much faster than with a tile cutter, provided that the technology of the work is correctly observed.
- You can trim the tile both in the form laid on the wall, and when the element is in the preparation stage, which is completely impossible to implement with other tools.
What tool is better to cut tiles, so that it is even? When selecting inventory, you should pay attention to the set of criteria and technical issues.
- Do I need to make a figured cut in a ceramic coating.
- Is it necessary to trim the end and corners of the product.
- Is it necessary to form an inner hole with even or curved fishing lines.
- Which coating will need to be cut, in particular even or uneven.
- How much work is expected.
- Is silence required?
- Do you need cutting without dust.
- Is there free space for work.
It is also worth considering how much it is planned to spend budgetary funds.
Safety Precautions When Cutting Tiles Angle Grinder With Diamond Wheel
Before cutting the tile with a diamond wheel (turtle), it is worth familiarizing yourself with how to work the angle grinder. The tool is not only convenient, but also complex, and if the safety precautions are not followed, even dangerous. That is why strict observance of the instructions from the manufacturer for operation is required in order to eliminate the occurrence of unpleasant moments and emergencies. To prevent fragments and sparks from falling onto the master during operation, a special casing must be present on the instrument.
When working with an angle grinder, it is necessary to use personal protective equipment. gloves, work clothing, safety shoes, glasses, a respirator
Before starting work, it is necessary to check the integrity of the braid of the electric wire, since the insulation must be intact, and the optimal length of the wire is considered to be 2 m.
Trimming is carried out only in a vertical way, since otherwise the angle grinder can escape from your hands and this will cause injury to the master. When carrying out work, it is necessary to prepare such protective equipment as a respirator, glasses, gloves and preferably a hat. Ideally, shoes and clothing should be present.
Hold the tool when cutting away from itself by rotating the circle. Do not press on the cutting disc. For each type of material, you need to use special disks, since abrasive cloths are used for metal, and diamond dryers for tiles.
It is strictly forbidden to cut material that is immersed in water. Tiles and other materials are sawn only in well-ventilated areas, since a large accumulation of dust can be explosive.
Basics of Tile Cutting Angle Grinder
Sawing tiles from porcelain stoneware or tiles by observing the above requirements is not difficult, but you need to adhere to a number of additional rules.
For cutting tiles, it is necessary to use specially designed diamond wheels for dry cutting.
- Tile cut angle grinder occurs with strong vibration, but because the work was carried out as correctly as possible and without defects, you must first fix the canvas. A table specially adapted for this purpose is suitable for this, since it has a special clamping mechanism and persistent clamps.
- Alternatively, at home, you can step on the edge of the tile, but the shoes should be rubberized so that they can reliably protect their feet.
- It is possible to cut through a tile canvas both in all thickness, and just making grooves. They are needed for subsequent breaking upon impact with a sharp object. It is important to remember that the thicker the tile, the greater the depth of the cut, in order to make a competent break.
- You need to choose a special cutting wheel for ceramics or porcelain. It is permissible for tiles to use a cutting wheel on the stone. However, for glass ceramics, porcelain stoneware and the like, special circles must be used on which diamond spraying is used, through which a more accurate cut is made.
- In order for a minimum dust cloud to occur during cutting, it is advisable to moisten the seam, and periodically. This will make the material not only softer, but also simplify the work.
Important! The direction of movement of the cutting wheel should be only in the opposite direction from the master, in order to exclude the occurrence of extremely dangerous situations when the product breaks. Carry out all work with an angle grinder is only in the open space or in a room with excellent ventilation. This is required to prevent smoke from becoming dusty and to prevent it from accumulating, as it can be fire hazard.
Tile cutting disc: grinding and cutting
On sale you can find a variety of discs, grinding, cutting and others. As a rule, each type of canvas is designed for a particular type of material.
A ceramic cutter can cut ceramic tiles without water cooling, but the duration of one continuous cut should not exceed 1-1.5 minutes, after which the disk is allowed to cool when idling
Ceramic angle grinder is cut with ceramic disc:
- On the stone;
- With diamond coating on the working edge.
The disk cutter is divided into specific subspecies. A stone circle is considered a cheaper disk, unlike a metal one, however, after almost one cut it becomes unsuitable for further work. In addition, they can not make a narrow cut on the tile. When working with such a canvas, you need to be very careful and monitor the integrity of the edge of the disk so that the tile is cut rather than crumbled. Otherwise, the canvas will simply be chopped and damaged.
The metal dry cutter allows you to work without additional water cooling, but with periods of only 2 minutes. Thus, the canvas will cool on its own. If sparks occur during cutting, then the protective cover must be corrected for the angle grinder, since it can be skewed and grazed over the edge of the disk. If the problem recurs, the angle grinder should be cleaned of concrete and plaster, otherwise the dry cutter becomes unsuitable for operation.
Sukhorez are divided into two additional types:
Through solid discs, tiles can be cut without splinters. If there is no detonation at the circle, then it is possible to conduct a free cleaning of the tile at an angle of 45 °. Segmented disks began to be called because of the presence of slots in them, which are located from the central edge to the cutting evenly distributed over the entire surface of the circle, which divides it into equal parts. Such a nozzle is perfect for cutting porcelain tiles or tiles made of natural stone, including ceramics.
Features of working with the tool
In the process of performing the facing work, you will inevitably be faced with the need to adjust the size of the tile. In order to make an incision, tile cutters in various variations are usually used, as well as improvised tools. If a glass cutter is enough for a wall tile, it is much more difficult to break a thick floor material. Is it possible to cut such ceramic tiles with an angle grinder?
An angle grinder is one of the most popular tools that, in addition to its direct task in the form of grinding surfaces, can also perform other functions. With its help, metal, ceramic tile, stone and other durable materials are cut.
As for the tile itself, working with an angle grinder has its own characteristics. In order to complete the task you will need a special nozzle and clamp for tiles. The tool will do the rest for you.
For additional protection, you should put a cap on the angle grinder, of course, it will reduce the usability of the tool, but will protect you from fragments and the disc itself.
Tile cutting angle grinder is performed using a diamond grinding wheel. This nozzle can be made in several variations. Basically, for this type of work, a small diamond-coated wheel is used for dry cutting. Of course, there will be a lot of dust, but this way you can make a neat cut.
If you plan to work for a long time, in order to prevent overheating of the tool, you can use a wet cutting circle. In this case, you will need to additionally equip the water supply. This can be done manually, using a spray bottle, or simply dip the disc in water.
To protect against possible nozzle breakdown, before starting work, you need to carefully inspect the tool and securely fix all its parts. In addition to the protective cap for the angle grinder, also use glasses, a mask and gloves to protect against dust and sharp circles.
How to cut a tile
Now we will go directly to the process itself and consider how to work with the tool to make an incision without chips and with a minimum amount of dust. With regard to this nuance, three directions can be distinguished:
- Straight cut. This type of work is the simplest. In order to cut the ceramic tile, the angle grinder in a straight line, first of all, it is necessary to fix it on a flat surface so that the edge remains weighted along the notch line. You need to hold the tool so that you see the direction of cutting, that is, the circle will move “towards you”. It is important to comply with safety regulations.
- At an angle of 45 degrees. Tile cutting at an angle is somewhat more complicated. In order to perform an oblique angle grinder, you first need to saw the tile at a right angle. Then the diamond wheel is guided so that it can be used to remove excess material at an angle. You can bring the edges to the ideal with sandpaper.
- The hole in the tile. This type of work is only suitable for making large diameter holes. In order to cut it off the angle grinder, you must first apply the contours of the circle on the front side with a marker. Then, with straight fishing lines located crosswise at right angles to each other, designate the center point. Then proceed to sawing. The angle grinder must be angled so that the circle makes a small indentation around the circumference of the hole on the inside of the basting line. Gradually shift, evenly sawing tiles. When you go deep enough, file straight lines. It is necessary to carefully extract alternately 4 sectors of the circle.
A prerequisite for preventing chips: you need to work exclusively on the front side of the tile. So you will damage the top layer less, and defects on the back side will be hidden by the solution during installation. After the file is filed, the edges of the tile are processed with an emery cloth filled on a bar, so foresee the possibility of grinding some amount of facing material in advance.
How to turn an angle grinder into a tile cutter
It is far from always convenient to hold the angle grinder on weight and to do all the work exclusively by hand. In order to improve the quality of cut you need an assistant. However, it will be much more rational to turn a conventional grinding machine into an analogue of an electric tile cutter.
We figured out how to cut ceramic tiles with an angle grinder. The same operating principles apply to the tile cutter, but you still have both hands free. Consider what needs to be done to improve this tool.
First of all, select a suitable location for the location of the machine. The base of the future tile cutter can be made of sheet metal, in which a groove will be cut to deepen the disk. All work will be carried out along this line, moreover, using such a mark will make it much easier to navigate.
The most important step is fixing the angle grinder. In order to fix the tool in the desired position, special clamps must be used. Their analogue can be made independently, but at the same time there is a risk that the fixing bolts will break during the work.
This version of a homemade electric tile cutter can be improved by adding to it a water tank and a nozzle for wet cutting. This will help to avoid dust and cool the tool.
After fixing the angle grinder, you can conduct a test cut. The principle of operation is as follows: the tile is laid according to the marks, the angle grinder is turned on and the disk is slowly lowered. The tile will be sawn on the front side, while you need to submit it on your own.
If the work is done correctly, you will get cut into two ceramic tiles with neat edges, without chips, cracks and nicks. The final look of the tile can be given with fine sandpaper.