How to start a STIHL chainsaw
All STIHL chainsaws are equipped with two-stroke engines, the cold start of which has a similar algorithm. But there are models on which additional equipment is installed, allowing you to start the saw without excessive efforts. For this reason, the algorithm for starting them may differ slightly.
Let’s take a look at how to start a regular saw and how the process differs from starting a modified model.
How to start the saw after long periods of inactivity
I can’t start the chainsaw after a long period of inactivity. Such Комментарии и мнения владельцев can be found on the forums dedicated to the repair and operation of saws. Let’s figure out how to start a chainsaw after a long period of inactivity.
The fact is that a successful start after downtime must be taken care of in advance and the saw should be properly prepared for storage. According to the manufacturer’s instructions, before storing, it is necessary to drain the fuel from the tank, then start the engine and burn off the fuel in the fuel system.
Preparation is necessary so that during storage, the carburetor membranes do not stick together. Performing this simple operation will allow you to successfully start the saw after long-term storage.
It is much easier to start the chainsaw six months after idle time, if just before starting, through the spark plug hole, add 1. 2 ml of the fuel mixture to the cylinder. This can be done with a syringe.
We start STIHL MS 211 C-BE
The fuel supply system in the STIHL MS 211 C-BE chainsaw is additionally equipped with a manual fuel pump, which makes it easier to start the chainsaw on a cold.
The instruction for starting this model of the STIHL chainsaw contains one additional point, which is that before starting the chainsaw on a cold one, it is necessary to pump fuel into the carburetor using a pump. Further, the instruction does not differ from starting STIHL 180 and follows the same algorithm.
What happens at the moment of priming fuel with primer, and how it helps to start the saw more efficiently?
At the moment of starting the saw without a primer, several movements of the starter are carried out only so that the fuel pump, under the action of an impulse from the saw crankcase, pumped fuel into the carburetor.
A pump installed in the fuel line allows you to manually pump gasoline into the carburetor without unnecessary movements with the starter. The effect of this action is obvious, the saw will start much faster.
Many owners of gasoline-powered tools mistakenly believe that a hand pump can overly pump fuel into the carburetor and, for this reason, flood the candle. This is fundamentally wrong, since the system is capable of circulating around. Excess gasoline from the carburetor will be directed, through a dedicated hose, back to the tank.
There is no need to use a primer on a hot chainsaw, since there is enough fuel in the carburetor to start.
We start STIHL 180
In order to start the STIHL 180 chainsaw on a cold one, you must follow the algorithm specified by the manufacturer in the instructions for the STIHL 180 chainsaw, namely:
- Turn on the ignition and set the engine control lever to the lowest position (in this position, the air damper of the STIHL 180 carburetor blocks air from the air filter, and the throttle valve is fully open, thus the fuel mixture is enriched);
- Pull the starter handle several times until the first flash passes (the flash signals that the fuel mixture has entered the cylinder and the saw is ready to start);
- Set the control lever one position up from fully lowered (in this position, the air damper opens, and the throttle valve remains in the same position as before);
- Pull starter and start. The saw will start and run at higher rpm due to the throttle valve being as open as possible. To set the damper to idle mode, you must press the gas trigger and immediately release, the tool immediately normalizes the speed.
The STIHL MS 180 chainsaw, as standard, is not equipped with any additional devices that can facilitate starting.
Below you can see how to start STIHL 180. The video reflects in detail all the main points, and the author’s Комментарии и мнения владельцев allow you to understand the whole process to the smallest detail.
Getting Started STIHL MS 180 C
The device of this model, in comparison with the previous one, has some differences in the trigger mechanism, but it does not carry any changes in the triggering algorithm. The fact is that the ErgoStart system is installed in the STIHL 180 C, which, due to an additional spring installed in the chainsaw starter, reduces the engine resistance when starting.
How to start a chainsaws with a decompression valve
Before starting a STIHL chainsaw with a decompression valve, you must turn it on. It should be noted that there is no decompression valve on the STIHL 250 saw.
After the first flash has passed, the valve will be set to normal operation, respectively, after the engine control lever is set to the open air damper position and starting continues, the decompression valve must be pressed again.
The valve operation is schematically shown in the figure below.
Stihl MS 180 Unboxing & First Start 4K
In fact, the valve does not make starting faster, it just simplifies the process and makes it more comfortable, because for during launch, a person will have to apply significantly less effort.
A saw with a decompression valve, whether the engine is cold or hot, must be started using the valve to relieve the cranking force of the engine. This will significantly increase the service life of the starter and reduce the number of torn laces, since it is installed on chainsaws with a large cylinder volume and, accordingly, compression.
Briefly about the launcher
The chainsaw is powered by an internal combustion engine. This is a simple device, the design of which does not have any special bells and whistles. It usually works properly even in difficult conditions.
Functioning is provided by structural elements:
- Carburetor engine (see carburetor adjustment).
- Centrifugal clutches.
- Ignition system, in almost all devices contactless.
- Carburetor that adds air to the fuel mixture.
- Fuel system. Its standard device consists of a hose, filter and gas tank, but sometimes it also has additional parts.
- Chain (see chain oil).
- Chain tensioner and brake (see how to sharpen the chain).
If you cannot turn on and start the chainsaw
When all actions are performed in accordance with the established order, and the chainsaw does not start work, then there are malfunctions in its mechanism. Usually the cause of this phenomenon is common and easily fixable problems, such as lack of spark, shut off the fuel supply, clogged filter that allows air to pass through. In order to start the chainsaw, you will have to find the cause and take the necessary steps to eliminate it.
Only correct actions should be taken. If a person does not know what to do, there is no need to commit rash acts. It is forbidden to disassemble the device, you need to be especially careful with the carburetor. You cannot unscrew any screws on it, since if its device has caused a breakdown, then it is impossible to repair the chainsaw without professional equipment.
The actions that need to be performed in a strict order are listed. Only during the transition from one measure to another can the exact cause of the malfunction be determined and quickly eliminated without damaging other parts. Algorithm of actions performed in case of failures in the establishment of a chainsaw:
- At first it is enough to let the device rest. This is especially true for recently used saws. It is enough to wait no more than 10 minutes, since during this time the mechanism will cool down and in the absence of other breakdowns it will easily start. Sometimes it happens that a candle is poured near the appliance during the establishment. If this unpleasant property has occurred, then it is enough to wait a very short pause and repeat all the steps again to start the engine.
- The housing cover is unscrewed from the device to remove the air filter. The process of starting up the device is performed if it is absent. Sometimes the reason for the lack of ignition is that the filter is dirty. If ignition occurred without it, then the reason lies precisely in this. To eliminate these troubles, it is enough to wash the filter under running, warm water and soap, then dry it. It is also possible to replace the old element with a new one.
- The spark plug is removed. The spark is checked. If it does not appear, you need to replace the old candle with a new one. Usually this helps and a spark appears, but in some cases there is no spark even when changing the mixture.
This means that the ignition unit is damaged, and the chainsaw needs professional repair. Sometimes there is a malfunction of the ignition unit even in the presence of a spark, therefore, this criterion cannot be followed to eliminate the likelihood of breakage.
When a spark appears when it is not possible to make the device work, you must continue to perform the steps described below.
Getting the Stihl MS180 chainsaw up and running
In case of any damage to the cylinder walls, it can be concluded that it will have to be repaired by professional methods or replaced with a new one. Usually, an insufficient concentration of oil in the fuel leads to such malfunctions.
How to start a STIHL chainsaw (STIHL MS-180). the first start and start without a starter
Chainsaws differ slightly in design features, however, in most cases, the assembly principle is carried out according to two standard schemes. For many devices, the instructions contain information on the need to activate the emergency brake before starting the activation procedure. You should first master the device of the plant and study the main ways of correcting breakdowns, then a person will have the opportunity to fully operate the device. The article will talk about how to start a chainsaw.
When the brake is activated, the assembly process is much slower, so everything is also safe and more comfortable, you can turn on the mechanism without the use of braking equipment.
Starting a Stihl Chainsaw the correct way. NEVER flood it Again!
If a person is not sure of his knowledge and accuracy, then the brake, on the contrary, needs to be activated. With the correct procedure, the device will not start, the mechanism will not perform actions that are dangerous to humans.
1 diagram of a standard mechanism
- Before starting the benzoil, it is necessary to move the flap, which acts as an adjustment lever, downwards, in comparison with the optimal position. First you need to press the button responsible for the gas supply. Only if this condition is met is it possible for the damper to move normally to the extreme stop from below. It is necessary to simultaneously move the damper and hold down the gas button. The gas is set to the standard position and the choke closes the carburetor, preparing the unit for correct operation.
In our rating of chainsaws by quality, you will find all chainsaws with an optimal price-quality ratio.
Our other article will also help you to make your choice in favor of a particular brand of chainsaw.
Russian-made chainsaws. low price with sufficiently high quality.
2 diagram of a standard mechanism. how to start the saw correctly
- The ignition is switched on. To do this, you need to move the toggle switch to the desired place or move the switch.
- The swap primer usually has to be pressed more than twice. Gasoline is poured into it, after which you will have to press the device more than three times. Sometimes the chainsaw is not equipped with a primer, then you can skip this step.
When the device stalls constantly, you need to systematically start it up again (see what to do when the chainsaw stalls when you press the gas). After a while, the motor will pick up speed and be able to maintain active work without interruption.
The chainsaw should be started following the standard instructions. If there are any problems with the operation of the device, for example, the chainsaw does not start, it is necessary to quickly eliminate them or take the device for repair, and in order to identify malfunctions and work correctly with the chainsaw, you need to know the features of its design. To learn how to quickly turn on the device and fix breakdowns, it is enough to study the basic range of necessary actions and follow it. Read about how to properly run your chainsaw before starting it for the first time.
Chainsaw Husqvarna-137: DIY Husqvarna-137 starter repair manual, valve malfunction, no spark
STIHL-180 does not start: reasons and remedies, why the chainsaw fills the candle, gasoline does not flow to the cold
How to adjust the carburetor on a Husqvarna chainsaw (Husqvarna). tuning and adjusting the saw
Makita (Makita) 4610 chainsaw DCS461 and electric saw 4610. instruction manual
General rules for using a chainsaw
The basic rules for operating the tool are the same for all brands. STIHL 180, Echo, Ural, and they are as follows:
- The saw must be held with both hands, grasping the handle with all fingers.
- The employee should not be directly behind the chainsaw, but to the side of it.
- Use the top or bottom edge of the tool to cut the material.
- If you need to move to another location, for safety reasons, turn off the engine.
- You need to start sawing with that part of the bar that is located closer to the body.
- The employee must wear special clothing, boots with protective inserts and use personal protective equipment. glasses, durable gloves, a helmet.
How to start a new chainsaw?
Before starting a new chainsaw, clean it of the preservative, check the complete set, the reliability of the fasteners tightening, and the chain tension. Before intensive use, the tool must be run in. This should be done not at idle, but at low load, which will avoid rapid engine wear.
The start of the tool is carried out using a starter, which in many models is connected to an inertial or spring-type light start system. With correct adjustment of this mechanism, the force applied to start the motor is almost halved.
To extend the operating life of the starting device, you should work out a smooth movement, in which high loads will not be created.
The first launch is performed in this order:
- The equipment should be filled with fuel and lubricants, placed on a flat, stable surface, unlocked the protection mechanism against accidental start-up and emergency stop.
- To start the engine, the throttle lever is set to the low rpm position. With a smooth movement, you need to pull the starter, with the other hand. hold the tool. As a rule, a new saw in a technically sound condition starts up from the third. fourth time.
- At idle, the crank mechanism operates under conditions of oil shortage, so this time should be minimized.
At the factory, the carburetor is adjusted according to average parameters. Therefore, they are brought to optimal values already during the operation of the chainsaw. The motor must work without interruptions, not emit extraneous noise. For a full lapping of all systems and parts, moderate loads are used.
How to start a chainsaw correctly?
Chainsaws can be started in different ways, depending on the model and technical condition. Today we will look at how to start a chainsaw without a starter, what to do if the tool has not been used for a long time. In any case, before using the tool, you should carefully study the instructions, follow the operation and safety rules.
How to start the tool after a long period of inactivity?
After long-term storage, you may encounter some problems when starting the motor. The first thing to do is to make sure that the equipment is in good working order, there is a spark, fuel, and there are no wire breaks.
If the saw is in good working order, its launch is in progress:
- turn the fuel cock to open;
- press the enrichment button, which will fill the carburetor with fuel;
- turn the lever and completely close the air damper;
- start the engine with the starter. press the throttle handle, smoothly, without sudden jerks, pull the cord, turning the crankshaft.
- after a flash of a combustible mixture, open the air damper and continue starting the engine.