Spotter for body repair
In a professional car body repair, you will certainly need a device such as a spotter. It replaces many repair tools, and the master does not have to do unnecessary work. It is not always possible to get to a dent that has been created from the inside; it is in such cases that a spotter will come to our aid.
What is spotter? This is the same contact welding, but its main difference is that it, due to the large capacitance of the capacitor charge, acts on the surface for a minimal amount of time.
Welding is carried out using a strong current, and the temperature reaches almost the melting point.
And when exposed to sheets of metal for only one second, they, under the influence of high temperature and pressing against each other, melt together.
In a professional car body repair, you will definitely need a device such as a spotter
How the device works
The main purpose of the device is to restore damaged parts and surface elements to their original state. It has different nozzles and operating modes. Used to straighten such auto parts on the body: wings and sills, helps fix doors, hood, and even out the roof.
The current generated by the welding machine is both constant and alternating. There are professional (have wheels, thanks to which the device can be moved to a convenient place) and compact (manual) spots. Absolutely all models are equipped with the ability to control current and power. Usually a panel with a control / adjustment mechanism is located in front of the instrument.
Two cables. a working wire with a gun and a "mass". should be separable from the spotter case. A gun is an operating mechanism during straightening.
In the existing lock, which is located at its end, install the desired nozzle:
- reverse suction cup and hammer;
- adapters, taking into account different types of welding.
Spotter Kripton SPOT 2 new
How much is a spotter? The price depends on the manufacturer and configuration. It often happens that models that have proven themselves with professionals are not very expensive.
The main thing is to decide what kind of work the spotter will be doing, and carefully look at the technical characteristics of the selected model.
Spotter for body repair has the following features:
- power supply from a network (220 or 380V);
- Power, W);
- silatoka (A);
- type of voltage (constant or variable);
Spotter Thix 1000
- the ability to weld on one or both sides at the same time;
- a set of nozzles and accessories, including pliers and suction cups.
The choice of model is affected by the frequency of operation. For a small workload, an inexpensive manual spotter is suitable. For regular and frequent use, preference should be given to a professional spot.
The benefits of spotter
Spotter has many advantages, which is why he is chosen by a large number of masters and satisfied customers.
They can not but rejoice over the shortened periods of car repair and cost savings during the work. This is perhaps the main advantage.
When using such an apparatus, it is not necessary to disassemble and reassemble the interior or replace all body parts. Main advantages:
- repair time is reduced to the minimum possible;
- repair of aluminum elements and the possibility of applying adhesive technologies;
Spotter GYS Gyspot Alu Pro FV
- repair of parts that were only subject to complete replacement;
- the resulting effect significantly exceeds the cost of the tools.
Spotter for straightening is the most accurate way to align a damaged car after an accident. This is nothing more than welding, but without the tongs passing current between the plates.
Spotter for straightening a car has one output from a source through which current is transmitted. It is attached to the part, and the second exit is to the gun with the electrode.
The whole charm is that when welding in this way the metal does not deform.
When buying a device, special attention should be paid to the method of controlling the device. It can be manual or microprocessor. The second type is much newer and allows you to carry out all the manipulations most accurately.
This is a product of the latest technology, equipped with programs designed for quick change of modes. They already provide for the optimal parameters of current strength and pulse time.
This is a pretty convenient feature that reduces the wizard error to zero and significantly saves time.
Spotter contact welding Spark 3000
The most commonly used method. eliminating defects from the outside. is carried out using a welding machine, combining it with an inertial hammer. The motor for straightening a car is designed specifically for this type of work. With its help, it is possible to repair panel elements of the body without losing their mechanical properties.
Using the method of extrusion from the inside, it will not be possible to avoid dismantling and disassembling car parts that complicate access to the site of damage. Most often you have to remove the skin. The procedure should be carried out very carefully, because there is a high probability of damage to the skin or its fastening elements.
Most damages are repaired by conventional spotter welding using a reverse hammer. The butt of the tool needs to be “grabbed” to a dent and easily tapped with a heavy-weight handle to uniformly restore the shape of the damaged surface. The distance between the points should vary between 5–8 mm. Small traces of contacts are easy to remove.
Reverse hammer for spot welding and straightening
Serious Damage Management
Serious damage is considered to be dents, the flaw area of which exceeds 100 mm. Alignment is made due to the uniform effect on the entire length of the bumps.
Regarding how convenient the location of the damage is for the master and whether there is access to it, there is the possibility of welding the corrugated wire. Also work with studs or hooks.
Using a bunch of hooks, a reverse hammer is attached to the dents.
If there were blows with large objects or collisions with them, then reverse suction cups can come to the rescue, capable of returning a large area of the metal part into place.
Carbon electrodes are used to remove stiffeners that occur when the body is bent from impact.
Carbon electrodes are used to remove stiffeners that occur when the body is bent from impact
What is a spotter and how it works is described above. There are several important recommendations for its use:
- connecting to the electric power network, it is necessary to take into account the cross-section of the wires (it should be from 2.5 mm2, and with a consumption of 32 A. more than 4 mm2). It should also increase with increasing cable lengths;
- the fuses need the notation of the cutoff curve index (they must have a delay in the operating conditions), for those that operate from 230 V, you need to have 25 A, and for 380 V you need 16 A (otherwise the losses arising from the resistance will not help to achieve the desired result );
- on cleaned places, it is mandatory to carry out regular dust cleaning (this helps to prevent sparking, as well as unreasonable consumption of tips);
- never leave the “mass” (“earth”) terminal on an adjacent part, and always have it at hand when conducting work;
Spotter for bodywork
- firmly fasten the contacts so as not to provoke breakdowns, as well as problems arising in the places of attachment;
- to weld a corrugated wire or identical materials, you should start from a distant point and calmly move to the mass in order to avoid shunting (then the current flows with the least resistance, and the points weaken as they move);
- during welding there should be no pressure, a sure enough touch of the tool to the part (it is impossible to bring the resistance at the contact point to close to zero);
- if the damage area is quite large, you should start with the hood along the edge, moving spirally to the middle. Then there will be no failures in the center area. In order not to provide a "clap", it should be borne in mind that the metal is stretched. To avoid this, you should gradually stretch in a spiral. In addition, this ensures the saving of the most valuable "consumables" in life. time.
Spotter for body repair: types, description, principle of operation:
What is necessary to perform quality bodywork? Skillful hands, experience, and garage equipment. These are the simplest aspects on which the quality of the result depends. We need a whole arsenal of tools for working with metal.
And besides straightening tools, you should also purchase a spot welding machine. But a particularly useful device is a spotter for body repair. This tool will be very useful if you need to align the dent in the area, which is quite problematic to get close to.
Consider what this tool is and how it works.
Spotter for body repair is a device for one-sided spot welding. In the whole world so-called devices for two-sided welding. But so they call a one-sided welding unit. Spotter is a device equipped with a reverse hammer.
How does it work?
The principle of operation is based on the release of heat at the contact point of two connected parts during the passage of electricity. This is the principle of resistance welding.
The device delivers an electric current from 3000 to 5000 A per 1 millimeter of the thickness of the metal part to the connection point. Due to this, at the point of contact, the metal is heated almost to melting.
The elements are pressed together very firmly by mechanical force or by means of pneumatic mites for one second.
There are two technologies for straightening dents on car bodies. The first involves extrusion from the inside. But for this you need to dismantle the element. The second technology is extrusion from the outside using a spotter for body repair. This is a more common option.
Dent Alignment Features
In fact, this is a spot welding device. But, unlike the welding machine, the spotter does not have ticks. It is equipped with one output. "ground". which is connected to the repair area. The second terminal is connected to the electrode on the gun.
The trick is that the body metal at the weld point will not be deformed. The melting temperature of the special washer is less than the melting of the body. After passing the current, the washer easily twists.
Straightening cars using a spotter is the welding of a washer, which serves as a holder for the subsequent pulling of a dent.
The pulling process itself is carried out using an inertial hammer or special pneumatic pincers. The force can be applied smoothly or shock.
The benefits of straightening with a spotter
The main advantage of aligning dents in this way is to significantly reduce the time it takes to repair. With this device, there is no need to dismantle the body parts, as well as to disassemble and reassemble. Customers will be pleased with the timing of the repair and its price.
Spotter for body repair allows you to repair and restore items that previously had only to be completely changed. Significantly reduced work time. With it, you can apply adhesive technology, due to which it becomes possible to repair aluminum elements. The price of a spotter is relatively small, especially considering the effect of its use.
There are two types. inverter devices and transformer ones. Based on the features of the repair work, it is possible to divide the equipment into two more groups. directly for straightening and resistance welding of body panels.
For the first, small hand-held devices are intended.
In the configuration of such equipment there is a reverse hammer, as well as consumables and parts that we will need in the process of car repair.
For resistance welding, low-power spotters are available. Included are special pliers. However, these devices are not able to provide reliable welding due to low accuracy and overheating.
Handheld devices are available in two versions. According to the operating voltage, there is equipment designed for 220 V or 380 V. There is no other difference between these devices.
How to choose a spotter for body repair?
The main characteristics of this equipment are the maximum possible current strength, power, as well as a set of functions and capabilities. Devices whose power is standard are intended only to restore the geometric characteristics of bodies.
More powerful devices may be applicable for welding. A weld point can be formed in different ways. In devices with one-sided technology, a special electrode is used for this. In the case of double-sided devices, tongs are used to form the point.
So, for welding and restoration of metal with a thickness of 0.5 to 1 millimeter, it is recommended to use one- and two-sided spotters. Choose a specific model for the comfort of use and configuration. With metal up to 2.5 millimeters thick, they work with double-sided devices.
Modern spotters can work in two modes.
Browse Popular Models
In today’s market there are many data devices. All of them differ in technical characteristics, as well as functional features. We single out several popular models.
We can especially highlight the simplicity of the device. it is equipped with a special simplified tuning system. To activate the spotter, you need to press the button once. For comfort, the manufacturer equipped the device with a rotary regulator, which allows you to simply select a tool and then change the power level. The kit contains the necessary set of consumables for the spotter.
You can make such equipment useful for the car owner yourself. Any master will cope with this task. All accessories can be easily found. The device is based on a welding transformer. There is also a unit that supplies all the elements of the electric circuit of the spotter. In a couple, the diodes in the form of an assembly and diode bridges are complemented to the main transform.
Another homemade spotter includes a thyristor and a variable resistor. Further, when the entire electrical part is assembled, you need to take care of the case. The base must necessarily be a dielectric plate. all components are placed on it. To protect the internal elements of a home-made spotter and to give it an aesthetic appearance, you can use the case from the old microwave.
This completes the manufacturing process.
Spotter is a useful thing for the car owner. Using this multifunctional tool, you can solve a lot of problems. As for self-manufacturing, for those who are familiar with the technique, it will not be difficult. But if you do not want to study numerous schemes and waste time on manufacturing, you can purchase a ready-made tool. it will be easier.
Spotter: what is it and why is it needed?
Work related to straightening a car does not always come down to basic skills in working with tools. Often required accuracy, knowledge of the design and geometric features of body parts. Even with knowledge, an auxiliary, specialized tool will be required; it is spotter. What is a spotter and how it works, we will consider further.
Spotter what is it
Each aligner knows what a spotter is, it is indispensable for most body restoration work. Spotter for body repair is a device that helps prevent the complete dismantling of body elements during straightening work. The surface on the car using the device is displayed in any place, regardless of availability.
Spotter has an important advantage. it helps to restore complex geometry on any body parts. The device is especially effective in places where there is no access to the inside of the element. It is not difficult to work as a spotter, and this contributed to the spread of the device. Additionally, powerful machines are used instead of spot welding.
The device is universal and allows you to straighten various body parts: door, hood, wing, threshold, etc. The main difference between the device is the creation of straightening forces with fixation to the outside of the body part.
Professional body repair can not do without the use of spotter
Device and principle of operation
Spotter work involves heating a small area of the body element, the effect brings minimal damage to the car.
The welding work algorithm includes the steps of:
- A fastener is welded to the damage site.
- A reverse hammer is engaged in the catch.
- Pulling is done manually, but auxiliary tools are often used.
Spotter straightening is carried out without much effort, this allows you to carry out repairs in any garage.
Scheme of elementary unit:
- stadder (nozzle);
- electrode (can be replaced with a sharp twist).
Any box acts as a housing, to which all components of the device are attached.
The main structural element is the gun of the welding machine. A home-made version does not allow to achieve long-term work and is somewhat inferior in characteristics, but suitable for work with small volumes of straightening. Long-term work is implemented in a factory device.
Spotter’s biggest advantage is that it only applies force to the outside of the surface of the damaged part.
Types of equipment
They always install a return hammer and additional parts for repair. The design contains special mites. Most devices are low power. Due to the low accuracy of welding and fast overheating, the spotter is not able to provide high-quality welding.
Still spotters are classified by the required supply voltage. Standard devices are designed for 220 V, and powerful 380 V.
How to work as a spotter
Work as a spotter auto straightening honed by many experts, but the technique is not particularly difficult for beginner straighteners. With the help of the apparatus, it is possible to even out a dent in any area, regardless of location.
The electrode receives current from the welding unit, so the connection with the deformed region is performed. For straightening, a reverse hammer is used, it can be replaced with a special emphasis. Mechanical effects continue until the surface is completely leveled. After completion of work, the site is cleaned up, since slags from the electrode remain on it.
To learn how to use a spotter, you do not need to go to special courses
Algorithm for using spotter for straightening:
- Surface preparation. Regardless of the material of the body (aluminum or iron), all coatings are removed from the surface: paint and varnish coat, putty, primer.
- Connecting the "minus". A negative terminal is connected to the body for grounding.
- Installation of fasteners. The clamps are welded (any hooks, loops or hooks) to the deformed section of the body. For the connection using spot welding.
- Tool preparation. Clutch the main tool and prepare auxiliary structures. It is convenient to use a puller. a device to facilitate the restoration of parts.
- Editing a part. Stretching the body element until the original form and shape are restored.
- Dismantling the fasteners. An angle grinder is suitable for removing latches.
- Grinding. The final stage is surface cleaning and preparation for painting.
Video: Hammer Drill Rack Overview 60
Eliminating small dents
There are several fundamental differences in the alignment of small and large dents:
- only one hook for pulling is fixed;
- stripping is carried out exclusively on the deformed area, the rest of the paintwork is not touched;
- the part around the perimeter is glued with masking tape to prevent the destruction of the paint;
- It is recommended to perform straightening carefully, without applying strong forces, to avoid deformation of the entire part.
The algorithm of work remains the same, but additional small nozzles are used.
If we compare a conventional welding machine, then we can say that the spotter is much safer, since sparks do not fly from it and the metal does not heat up
Serious Damage Management
To repair large damage will require large-scale work:
- many fixators are welded along the dent, mainly in the places of the deepest injuries;
- each element should be pulled out little by little. and so on in a circle until complete recovery. If you immediately align one section, at the time of straightening the second, the state of the previous place may be disturbed;
- A relatively large reverse hammer is useful, but strong impacts should still be avoided, otherwise there is a risk of damage to the fastening of the body element.
Functionality spotters serial models
Spotters manufactured under production conditions are multifunctional. Among the useful features:
- create conditions for the use of repair washers;
- support the connection with the metal electrode for subsequent drawing;
- combined with graphite electrodes: they are useful due to the performance of iron precipitation (both heating and cooling);
- ease of maintenance and comfort of use;
- support two operating modes: long and short. When operating in a constantly active mode, the carbon type of the electrode is set. Short-time operation is useful for installing a metal electrode or repair washers. Duration of work is set by the toggle switch on the body;
- cooling system. The design has a built-in thermostat that controls the temperature of the spotter and performs an emergency shutdown of the device in case of overheating. When cooling, the structure switches back on.
Mounting washers can be used several times, since when welding, they do not melt
Serial spotter specifications
There are many technical parameters of spotters that are in serial production. Main characteristics:
- type of mains for operation (2 options). 220 V or three-phase network 380 V;
- AC frequency. from 50 to 60 Hz;
- ultimate power. 10 kW;
- maximum current during welding. 1300 A;
- voltage on the secondary winding. 8-9 V;
- timer, allows you to set the time in the range from 0.1 to 1.2 s;
- switching between several welding modes: spot (activated by a timer) and constant (supports welding and tempering);
- change in the performance of the device depending on the operating mode. When the point mode is activated, maximum power is attracted. In coal welding mode, the minimum output power is activated;
- tensile force with an iron electrode. over 100 kg;
- when mounting the washer, a traction force is formed. over 100 kg.
How to choose a spotter?
There are important criteria that affect the cost of a spotter:
- type of converter. Inverter ones are less common, but perform well in spot welding. More often used transformer, as they are more reliable and cheaper;
- performance. There are models of standard power indicators, they are applicable only for straightening of individual elements of the body. High power options are used for spot welding and work with more durable parts;
- type of weld formation. The simplest option is welding on one side with an electrode. The apparatus with two-sided welding is more efficient and more expensive; it is performed by special pliers, which are opened from the back by hand or pneumatics and immediately create a hook.
Alignment is not enough for spotters, as they reduce the time to restore surfaces and increase the quality of work. The best option for straightening is a production model of the apparatus, but it is possible to create a device manually from a welding installation.
Originally posted 2018-04-18 10:15:32.
Body repair and straightening spotter
In the process of operating a car with its body, a variety of troubles often happen: from minor scratches to serious damage.
And in most cases, bodywork masters manage to return the damaged parts of the car to its original shape and restore the paintwork.
Today, together with the specialists of the service station “No dents”, we will talk about an effective and technologically advanced method of straightening the body. straightening with a spotter. Service station "No dents" performs body repair, straightening the body by a spotter in Minsk.
Spotter close-up: this device is a kind of welding machine.
When is spotter indispensable?
– Spotter is a type of spot welding machine. However, it is practically not used directly for welding body parts. In the spotter, the current strength is used to locally heat the metal or to weld auxiliary elements for straightening the body to the damaged surface, ”explains the specialist of STO“ No dents ”.
So, spotter straightening is used to restore the geometry of the surface (to eliminate dents) in those places of the body where it cannot be reached from the inside. These are, first of all, thresholds, roof racks, as well as, in some cases, rear wings, doors and any other parts of the body, where traditional tapping or extruding from the inside will be ineffective or inappropriate.
The spotter itself is not involved in restoring body geometry. When repairing dents with its help, auxiliary equipment is welded to the damaged surface. Such as, for example, these washers.
Applying a spotter for straightening a body dent, the master works only from the outside of the damage. At the same time, during the repair process, there is no damage to the body’s internal anti-corrosion coating, and there is no irreversible change in the composition of the steel. the carbon in its composition is not burned.
– And most importantly. spotter straightening is very accurate and delicate. With its help, you can straighten a dent almost to its original factory appearance.
Subsequently, when preparing the body to be repaired for painting, you can do with a minimal layer of putty.
That is, the final result will be the highest quality, solid and durable, ”says the body repair master.
How does spotter work?
During straightening with a spotter, it is possible to pull out and align dents on the body, as well as upset “knobs”, “bumps” and “claps” that occur when the metal is stretched in the damaged area. In this case, the repair of dents and bulges by the spotter occurs in completely different ways.
The classic dent must be pulled out, "hooked" on the surface of the damaged metal.
For "engaging" with it, the spotter offers several options: you can spot-weld the tip of a special nozzle with a reverse hammer, immediately produce a "blow", tear off the nozzle (by a simple rotation of about 90 degrees) and weld to another section.
That is, there is a kind of "tapping" of the metal indented outward. At the same time, as noted above, welding the tip of the return hammer does not harm the metal and almost leaves no traces on it.
Washers are welded spotter to rumpled steel in one touch.
Then a steel rod is threaded through the holes in the washers, for which you can pick up the lever or a special emphasis to pull out a dent.
– Also, the spotter allows you to weld several special washers or a corrugated wire to a dent. Then they are hooked to them with a special comb, for which you can pull using a special lever, ”the specialist explains.
The corrugated wire is welded by the elevator to the damaged area.
Then you can pick it up with hooks (comb) and pull the dent with a special lever.
Another accessory for the spotter is a special elevator. The tip of its rod is welded to a dent, a special support rests on the body, the metal is pulled by the smooth application of force through a special handle.
A special nozzle for the spotter is the elevator: the rod is welded to the place of damage.
Then the body repair master pulls the metal in place of the dent.
The use of one or another spotter snap depends on the dent. In any case, the solution is applied by the master, based on his experience.
When upsetting metal. those same bumps, "poppers", "cones" and other things. the spotter current is used to heat the metal. It should be explained here that almost always the formation of bulges on body parts is associated with stretching and thinning of the metal.
Elimination of tension. the resulting excess metal area. can be done by heating. In this case, a special spotter nozzle is used, which does not weld to the metal, but warms up, literally glows it. The nozzle is attached to the bulge, heats it. the metal is deposited.
In this case, the excess area disappears in the convexity region, and even the original steel thickness is restored.
A separate type of repair by a spotter is associated with the upsetting of the bulges by a special nozzle, which heats the steel at the point of contact with it.
Let us explain the “miracle” that occurs: during spot heating and a slight pressure on the tip of the spotter nozzle, the steel becomes plastic and pliable, but the excess area of the stretched metal around the perimeter “props up” cold (ie, not heated by the spotter) metal. As a result, when heated, the steel literally has no other choice but to assume its original shape and plane.
Real-life spotter repair example
At the service station “No dents” a client contacted for local removal of a dent. A dent is present in a place difficult and difficult to repair. at the very bottom of the wheel arch. It is clear that getting to this site for tapping on the reverse side is almost impossible: dismantling and preparing the machine for repair will take longer than the repair itself (restoration of geometry).
The dent in the rear wheel arch was “repaired” by putty, which then cracked. For a quality repair, the owner of the car turned to the service station “No dents” for a service to remove this dent for painting with the maximum restoration of the original geometry of the body element.
Immediately, we note that this dent in this place was previously "repaired" with a thick layer of putty. It is clear that such a pseudo repair is the most affordable way to redecorate it. A few years later, putty in this place cracked. The owner of the car decided to resort to removing the dent with the painting inevitable in this particular case.
However, removing a dent using a spotter allows, as we already know, to bring the geometry of the damaged part of the body to its original state. Also, which is typical for this area in a dent, the body repair master can quite accurately restore the edging present on the arch.
In preparing the body for painting, this edging does not have to "fashion" from the putty.
The final result of local body repair. Thanks to the use of spotter, the original geometry of the body steel was restored. Under a layer of paint. a minimum of putty.
The benefits of straightening the body with a spotter:
- overheating of the metal does not occur (violation of its properties);
- the anti-corrosion layer (primer) is not destroyed on the inside of the surface being repaired;
- body repair time is reduced;
- the quality of body repair increases to the maximum: the putty layer will be minimal.
Thank you for the interview with the specialists of the service station “No dents”.
What is spotter and how to choose it
In the car repair service, the type of welding used is of great importance. If for large bodywork you can not do without a semiautomatic device, then for small dents and punctures it is better to use a spotter.
It significantly saves time in the preparatory stages, without requiring removal of the casing, and also minimizes subsequent processing for painting. Sometimes, a damaged place is so inconvenient for processing that you can get to it only with this device.
What is spotter? How do they work? What types and parameters do these devices have?
Device and principle of operation
Spotter welding is actively used at many service stations. Its main purpose is to align damaged surface elements, returning geometric shapes to their original state.
This device has all kinds of nozzles and modes that allow you to "process" the problem area so that the final result will be similar to the factory form.
Often spotters perform straightening of car body elements:
The device consists of a welding machine. It can give direct or alternating current. Spotters are professional, movable on casters, or compact, for carrying in a hand. On the front side there is a settings panel. On all models, you can set the power and current strength. Be sure to set a series of buttons or a toggle switch with a designation of modes.
Two cables come from the body of the device: the mass and the working wire with a gun. A gun is what a welder operates in his hands. At the end of the device there is a fastener in which are fixed:
- back hammer;
- reverse suction cup;
- adapters for different types of welding (washers, wire).
Welding by the device refers to the contact type and is carried out by circuit closure. The mass is fixed to the car body from which the battery was previously removed. The trigger on the gun starts the current supply. A washer, hook, or other nozzle is installed in the retainer at the end of the gun.
When voltage is missing, the place that is least connected (welded surfaces) begins to heat up. Due to the increasing resistance, the metal melts in the minimum zone, sufficient to weld the element, but not overheating the structure as a whole.
It turns out the seizure of the product by contact.
How to work as a spotter
To master this unit, there are many auxiliary videos on the network. A working spotter is simple in the technology of making contact joints and does not require wearing a welder mask in most cases.
To start work, it is necessary to clean the dented surface. After this, a mass is installed, which is fastened with a clamp, a special clothespin or welded with a contact. Depending on the type of damage, the penetration depth of the base metal, and the area covered, you can weld to the surface:
- one or more washers;
- row of hooks;
- wave-shaped wire;
- end face with a nozzle from a reverse hammer.
Eliminating small dents
The most common spotter welding method is with a reverse hammer. This eliminates most damage. To do this, grab the end of the instrument to a dent and perform a light tapping with the heavy-weight inner handle.
To uniformly return the surface shape, this operation should be performed over the entire dent area, indented from the previous point 5-8 mm. Phased pulling allows you to smoothly return the metal to its original plane.
The only defect is small traces of contacts, which are eliminated by a cleaning machine.
Serious Damage Management
To eliminate linear dents or semicircular concavities covering an area of 100 mm or more, devices have been developed that can act not pointwise, but over a long section.
Depending on the convenience and accessibility, you can weld hooks, studs or corrugated wire. Fixation of the device occurs along the entire length of the damage. To them, using a bunch of hooks, a reverse hammer is connected.
Alignment of the plane is carried out due to the uniform impact along the entire length of the damage.
To eliminate traces of impacts on large objects, reverse suction cups are used, which immediately return a significant part of the metal to its place. And already small holes are modified in the usual way.
If the body bends formed upon impact, creating new "stiffeners" and interfering with the restoration of the previous shape, then carbon electrodes are used to heat the problem area and relieve stress from the metal area.
After that, working is much easier.
Spotter can weld metal plates together. This may be necessary when fixing threshold bands and other elements. The advantages of welding are that there is no overheating of the material, and no deformation. Subsequent stripping is minimal.
How to choose a spotter?
Choosing a device is only after an accurate determination of its purpose. If the operation will be carried out only twice a week, then a portable budget model is suitable. With a large flow of work with a load of eight hours, a professional spotter is needed. Further, the characteristics requested by the buyer and available in the models will influence the choice.
The main distinguishing features of the devices are:
- power supply from a network (220 or 380V);
- current power;
- strength (A);
- issued type of voltage (constant or variable);
- the ability to weld on one side or two at once;
- a complete set of nozzles and devices, including special pliers and suction cups.
Weak power models can only carry out straightening. Strong devices are capable of contact welding of plates and body elements. Among the arsenal of units, the top ranking:
- Garwin GS5000 and 6000, well-established in small service stations;
- Garwin GS9000 perfectly maintains the work schedule in two shifts and is suitable for large enterprises;
- The Telwin 5000 and Gys 3904 will be compact assistants in a private garage.
For aligning dents and restoring the original look of a car, the best tool is spotter. What it is is available in this article. And knowing how they work and how the devices differ, you can choose a model that meets specific needs.
Share with your friends
Spotter. description of the device, principle of operation and basic characteristics of the device (105 photos)
Spot welding is a popular way of minor car body repairs. Increasingly, it can be found in service centers and service stations. For the implementation of the process, special equipment is used. a welding spotter or just a spot.
It is a compact and efficient device designed to level metal surfaces and give them their original geometry. With it, you can quickly and easily lay out the wings, roof, hood and other parts of the car.
Device and principle of operation
The spotter consists of a welding machine operating by the method of resistance welding on direct or alternating current. On the front part of the body there is a panel with regulators of welding modes: current, power.
2 wires depart from the device. ground (mass) and a cable channel with a welding gun, at the end of which you can fix a return hammer, electrodes, hook and other nozzles.
The appearance of the device is shown in the photo of the spotters in our gallery.
The operation of the unit is quite simple: the mass cable is installed on the body, after removing the battery from the car, and the gun with the nozzle (electrode) is brought to the area to be repaired. By pulling the trigger, the electric circuit is closed and current is applied.
Next, a reverse hammer comes into play, which draws and straightens the metal relief. Then remove the welded plate.
Types, models of modern spots
There are 2 types of spotters:
- transformer. an undemanding device that can be assembled independently;
- inventory. it is made by specialized factories, has several operating modes and temperature sensors.
In accordance with their dimensions, the devices are divided into mobile, which can be manually transferred from one place to another, and professional spots in the form of large units on wheels for everyday use in the workshop.
Spotters can work both from a single-phase network at 220 V, and from a two-phase network at 380 V. In the first case, the devices are economical, do not overload the network and are cheaper. But they will not allow to connect parts with a thickness of more than 0.8 mm. There are restrictions on the types of steel. A more powerful transformer is installed in spotters operating on a 380 V network.
How to work as a spotter
In order to master this type of resistance welding, it is not necessary to complete courses or any educational institutions.
It is enough to carefully read the instructions for working as a spotter, which is given by each equipment manufacturer. Consider an example of using a device for straightening a car body.
- The deformed surface is cleaned at the place of direct welding of the washer from paint and dirt.
- A ground is connected to the product being repaired.
- A technological element is welded onto the product. an overlay (washer, hairpin, spiral).
- Using a reverse or inertial hammer, catching on the pad, the surface is corrected.
- After straightening, the pad is carefully removed with rotational movements.
- The welding spot is cleaned with an abrasive tool.
How to make a spotter yourself
To do this, you need a number of components:
- a transformer to create current and power the entire electrical circuit;
- diodes and diode bridge;
- thyristor type T132-50 or PTL-50;
- variable resistor;
- control button.
For a spotter, an output current of 1500 A is required. Many devices from welding machines already produce such a number.
But if the current is less, then you will have to tinker with the transformer a little:
The old equipment is removed with the help of a chisel or chisel secondary winding. The number of turns per unit voltage is calculated.
From the secondary, a 6 V bus and a section of 160 mm2 are made. With a smaller size, the tire is divided into pieces connected by fabric tape, so as to withstand the desired section. A pair of tires with an insulating winding is made: a layer of electrical tape is alternated with adhesive tape.
The resulting tires are mounted on a transformer, they must lie flat. Power is measured: if it is sufficient, then the device is almost finished. If the result is negative, you should change the connection of wires to the primary layer
The spotter gun is obtained from a welding gun or the body is used from a disabled drill. Parts for attaching electrodes are attached to it, an axis made of brass is installed inside.
For the base for the manufacture of the spotter, you can take not only the transformer from the welding machine, but also from the microwave.
Spotter for straightening cars do-it-yourself
- Principle of operation
- Spotter Options
- Technology of work
Under the straightening is understood the technology of eliminating irregularities on the metal, it is one of the types of bodywork. There are various tools that are used to carry out repairs of this type. One of them is a spotter for straightening a car.
Spotter is a one-sided spot welding machine. The principle of operation of these devices is based on the release of a large amount of heat at the contact point of the connected parts during the passage of electric current. That is, the spotter carry out resistance resistance welding.
To the junction of the elements, the device in question delivers a current of about 3-5 thousand A per 1 mm of metal thickness. Due to this, at this point, the material is heated to a temperature close to the melting point. In this case, the connected elements are pressed against each other by mechanical force or by pneumatic clamps with an effort of 150 kg for a time of not more than a second.
A clear understanding of the principle of operation of these devices will allow video.
In many proprietary tools, the temperature of the required heating is determined by the microprocessor. A home-made analog should be equipped with manual adjustment of this parameter. Most self-made spotters are single phase.
It is possible to create a two- and three-phase device, but in any case it needs to be equipped with a current rectifier, and this design is very complicated.
You can learn more about how to make a spotter with your own hands from many videos on the Web.
The market presents various models of the devices in question, differing in design and characteristics. The cheapest options are single-phase AC transformers. However, they are not suitable for use with galvanized or high-strength metal.
More powerful spotters are equipped with three-phase DC transformers.
However, modern models are equipped with inverters, which provide them with compact size and low weight, as well as high quality work due to the possibility of creating a current frequency of up to 2000 Hz.
In addition, such spotters are electronically controlled and are able to weld any metals. You can find out about the parameters of various types of these tools from articles and videos of experienced garage workers.
The tools in question are used for body repair in many workshops. In addition, spotter is possible to make straightening for ordinary users with their own hands. Spotter is used for repairing large auto body parts.
And even if it is possible to provide access to the working surface from the back, the use of a spotter eliminates the need for this, thus simplifying work, since this requires removing the skin or any other details. Therefore, often with the use of this tool they carry out straightening of thresholds, doors and other body elements.
Another important advantage of this straightening technology is the preservation of the original seams and joints on the panels, as well as anti-corrosion coating. In addition, the spotter provides a small repair area, which reduces the time of work, the cost of materials, and, consequently, finance. These parameters spotter due to their recent distribution.
Previously, it is necessary to remove the paintwork material, anticorrosion coating and corrosion from the deformed surface. The quality of the repair, that is, the strength of the joint being created, depends on the thoroughness of the implementation of these works.
After cleaning, a ground contact is fixed to the working surface.
Then, fasteners are attached by the method of spot welding, which can be used as triangles, studs, washers, a reverse hammer.
Finally, dressing equipment, such as, for example, mechanical stretch marks, hydraulic cylinders, a return hammer, couplers, grab the fastener and pull the deformed surface to its original state.
At the end of editing, the fastener is unscrewed, and the working surface is cleaned with grinding equipment. You can clearly see the performance of straightening on the video of experienced masters.
To make a repair successfully and achieve a quality result, you need to take into account the following features.
- Do-it-yourself welding time and the voltage of the current used for this should be determined based on the thickness and type of metal.
- You must select the fastener correctly. So, when repairing aluminum parts of a car, it is unacceptable to use a reverse hammer, since in this case smooth straightening is required due to the fragility of the material.
- Despite the fact that there is no need to disassemble the part for access from the inside before welding, during these works the anti-corrosion coating will be damaged due to heating. Therefore, it is desirable to restore it at the end of the work, for which, most likely, it will nevertheless be required to at least partially disassemble the repaired auto body element.
You can also learn about the features of tuning the instrument with your own hands from the video.