15 best grinders (angle grinder)
Criteria for choosing a good angle grinder
The disc is the main consumable for an angle grinder. Only he cuts, polishes, cleans. When choosing a diameter, it’s important to take into account that the “useful area” of the disk, and this means the cutting depth, is approximately four times less than its diameter. In other words, cuts only the last 1 / 3-1 / 4 of the disk. There are 5 diameter wheels:
- 115 mm is the smallest disk. It is not suitable for main cutting due to the small depth of cut (less than 25 mm), alas, not bad for small jobs and grinding. There are also machines with 100 mm discs intended only for grinding and polishing, however they are narrowly specialized and not much common in everyday life.
- 125 mm. the more popular disc size is a household angle grinder with a cut depth of about 40 mm. With discs for various purposes allows you to cut almost all materials;
- 150 mm komForten for cutting concrete, brick, iron pipes;
- 180 mm will be needed for those who started repair or construction;
- 230 mm. disks for professional grinders with a cut depth of up to 70 mm, are occasionally used for domestic needs. Usually, than with just a disk, which is designed Angle Grinder, it’s not just the weight of the tool assembly.
It provides a measured tool operation under loads and allows you to work for a long period without a break to rest the tool. The power of grinders varies from 0.5 to 4.6 kW is not aggressively tied to the size of the disk, in other words, there is a machine with a 125 mm disk with a power of both 600 W and 1.5 kV. For domestic purposes, a fairly angular grinder at 600-900 watts. For long and difficult work with languid circles, it is worth choosing an option with a power of 1.5 kW and more than that.
Read the same
Indicates the spindle speed where the disk is installed and possibly up to 7000-9000 for models with large disks and up to 12000 rpm for models with small disks. Not bad grinders for regulating the number of revolutions have a manual regulator, which allows you to slow down the speed as necessary.
Like your hands to do speed adjustment at an angle grinder.
Like your hands to do adjustment revolutions at Angle Grinder. # do it yourself # do #Angle Grinder # regulator.
Speed controller for angle grinder
Read the same
This circuit only works for collector electric motors.
Number of pens
Convenience and safety of work depend on this parameter. Angle grinders are one-handed and two-handed. The first option is common among relatively light models, both domestic and professional. A light angle grinder can simply be supported with a second hand on the body. Two-handed angle grinder. heavy professional and semi-professional models, effective and safe work with which requires physical strength and reliable grip. It is good if the handle / handles of any angle grinder have a rubberized coating or vibration damping system.
High-quality angle grinders have useful features that facilitate operation and extend the life of the angle grinder. Their presence indicates the professional purpose of the tool and significantly affects the price. They are found in a good household tool:
- “Soft start” (start without jerking);
- automatic shutdown of brushes during short-term power outages;
- auto-balancing of the disk (reduces the runout of the disk with uneven erasure, and hence the vibration in the hands);
- the ability to lock the power button for continuous operation;
- the ability to change the casing without a tool;
- automatic (electronic) regulation of disk rotation speed;
- improved dust protection of the stator and anchor;
- dust removal system (the presence of a special nozzle for connecting a construction vacuum cleaner).
Which manufacturer of grinders is the best?
Rating of the best angle grinders
“Expert Price” chose the 12 best grinders of 2017-2018, who have outstanding characteristics in their class.
Each master has at hand such a reliable tool as an angle grinder. Using this device, you can not only perform high-quality material cutting, surface grinding, but also sharpen kitchen knives. Since for certain types of work a minimum rotation of the disk is required, it is recommended to purchase a device with speed control.
Angle grinder with speed control is a versatile and multifunctional tool that makes it easy to cope with any task in construction and repair. The main difference between such an angle grinder is the ability to independently set the speed of rotation of the disk, depending on the type of material being processed. Manufacturers produce a device with an electric motor, the power of which can be from 500 to 1500 watts. For cutting workpieces, you can choose machines with an average capacity of 800 watts, but if you plan to grind, it is recommended to give preference to more powerful models, since the area of contact with the surface of the processed material in this case is larger.
an angle grinder with speed control is absolutely safe to use, since all models are equipped with a full range of protective systems that prevent injury. We list the main ones.
- Soft start device. It is responsible for the smooth operation of the tool after pressing the start button. This device can also act as a limiter for inrush current, which extends the life of the device.
- Safety clutch. In the case when during the processing of material the disk of the angle grinder begins to “bite” or wedge, this device starts an emergency stop.
- Emergency brake. Performing processing of solid material, the tool can be twisted and pulled out of the hands. The brake helps to stop disk rotation in 3 seconds.
- Impregnation of the coil with a special composition. Since the cutting and grinding of the material is accompanied by the appearance of abrasive dust, its penetration into the device is prevented by the additional treatment of the coil with a protective layer. This avoids short circuit problems.
- Heat dissipating slots. Protect the device from overheating during intensive work.
- Balancing system. Circles of the machine may unevenly grind, after which shaking and beating of the apparatus may occur during processing of the workpieces. Smooth work helps a special automatic balancing.
- Overload fuse. When the cutting part is heated to a temperature above 160 degrees, the automatics are triggered, and the speed of rotation of the disc is initially reduced to 200 rpm, then it completely stops.
an angle grinder with a speed regulator weighs from 2 to 5 kg, their performance depends on the diameter of the disk and the number of revolutions. Mini-models that are suitable for working with circles of 115 and 125 mm are very popular with masters. Their speed ranges from 10,000 to 11,000 rpm. An angle grinder with circles of 115 mm is usually used for cutting material with a thickness of not more than 28 mm and is well suited for grinding wood, tile, porcelain and glass. Devices with 125 mm circles are considered the most demanded, since they cope well with grinding the surface of any material and cutting parts with a thickness of 30 mm. If it is necessary to perform cutting and grinding of steel pipes, bricks and concrete, it is recommended to use a device with a circle of 150 mm, while metal processing should be carried out at high speeds, and stone. at lower speeds.
The cutting disc is mounted in an angle grinder with speed control by means of a spindle stop and a protective key; in some models there is also a self-clamping system. Additionally, manufacturers also equip the tool with a casing that protects the craftsman from dust, sparks in the eyes and destruction of the circle on the go.
What is the adjustment for?
The quality of cutting and grinding of the material directly depends on the set speed of revolutions in the angle grinder. Since hard and thick workpieces lend themselves well to cutting at maximum speeds, and aluminum, on the contrary, can melt when heated, when working with them, you should adjust the speed of rotation of the disk. Management of operating modes is provided only in models equipped with a special regulator. This function is useful and used in several cases.
- When processing stone. This material is well cut and ground at low speeds, for each type of stone its own disc speed is separately selected.
- For finishing fragile surfaces that require careful handling. At high speeds, such products may deteriorate.
- When replacing one circle size with another. In this case, a speed adjustment is needed.
- When using crowns and discs with diamond coating. To avoid overheating and breakage, processing of the workpieces should be carried out at low speed.
Video: How Many Turns Does An Angle Grinder With a Diameter of 125
If the tool only plans to carry out rifled operations, then there is no need for a speed controller. In universal use, the angle grinder is indispensable. The system for adjusting the speed in the angle grinder is represented by integrated circuits. They are reliable in operation, operate with a soft start system and a tuned module.
Advantages and disadvantages
Angle grinders with speed control are on the construction market in a huge assortment. Depending on the design features and technical characteristics, they can have both pros and cons. So, household models are compact and light in weight, but their functionality is limited. In such a device, productivity is also reduced, during operation they quickly overheat and require constant stops.
As for professional tools, they are very powerful and endowed with additional functions that allow them to be used for a long time without overheating the mechanism. Such an angle grinder is of excellent quality, easy to operate and designed for both cutting and grinding of workpieces. The disadvantages of these models are the high price and heavy weight, since the device frame and additional components are made of durable material.
The main advantage of an angle grinder with speed control, regardless of their modification, is the ability to set a specific mode of operation. Thanks to this, the apparatus becomes multifunctional and allows the processing of various materials.
Models and their characteristics
Today, angle grinders equipped with speed control are in great demand among craftsmen. This type of tool is well suited for cutting, polishing and grinding workpieces. The construction market is represented by an angle grinder manufactured by both domestic and foreign companies. Well-established models of several brands.
- Bosch GWS 850 CE. This device is lightweight, which simplifies its management. The power of the machine is 850 watts, it is well suited for polishing marble and granite. The instrument comes with a six-position disc speed controller. The minimum speed of 2800 revolutions, the maximum of 11000 per minute, for processing wood the machine uses a special nozzle, designed for high speed. The manufacturer additionally equips the device with a handle, a key, discs and washers for attaching nozzles.
- Makita GA5030. This is the lightest grinding machine (its weight is 2 kg), which is designed for simple household work. Using the device, you can easily cope with the cutting, grinding and polishing of various materials. Thanks to the additional handle, the workflow is greatly simplified; disks with a diameter of 115 and 125 mm can be installed on this model. The tool has a power of 1400 watts, thanks to the speed control it is classified as a professional model. In addition, the angle grinder has a power-on lock, a stabilization system of revolutions, in order to protect the device from overheating, it is recommended to periodically turn it off during intensive work.
- Metabo WEV 10-125 Quick. This modification is available with the ability to change the speed and maintain a power of 1200 watts, the design provides an electronic engine protection system against overloads. The speed of rotation of the cutting wheel automatically changes depending on the type of work and is fixed at variable loads. Of all the 125-mm machines produced, this model is the best, it is characterized by a large number of revolutions and speed control. The angle grinder also has a safety clutch and replaceable brushes, which are disconnected when the voltage drops in the mains. In addition, the manufacturer supplemented the tool with an overheat indicator, stabilizer and a long cable.
Hitachi G13SS modification can complete the review of the popular angle grinder with speed control. Due to its high power indicators and the possibility of using it with discs with a diameter of 150 and 230 mm, it is highly rated among the types of equipment. The device is perfect for both repair and construction work. The machine can cut metal workpieces and grind parts from different materials. A distinctive feature of the device is its narrow grip and low weight, which makes it comfortable to use.
An angle grinder with a speed control is one of the most popular and widely used tools. Since this tool is represented by various modifications, it is difficult to make the right choice in favor of a particular device. The first step is to determine how the device will be used for domestic or professional purposes. In the event that infrequent and simple works are planned, then a small low-speed machine is suitable. For the simultaneous implementation of high-quality cutting and grinding of the material, it is best to opt for professional models.
In addition, it is worth paying attention to the following characteristics of the device:
- minimum and maximum speed;
- additional functions;
- drive options that can be used with the tool.
An important criterion when choosing is the frequency of operation of the device. For constant and intensive work, you need to buy models in which the outer case is made of durable metal and supplemented with brass inserts. When installing the pipeline, it is advisable to use devices with a maximum level of protection against water and dirt.
How to use?
Despite the fact that all models of the angle grinder with speed control are reliable, they still require proper care and operation. Therefore, it is periodically necessary to replace the working nozzles and contact brushes, add oil to the gearbox and clean the engine compartment of dirt. In addition, a technical check of the tool is also provided, it should be carried out at least once a month.
When replacing disks, the device must be turned off, the gearbox locked with the button, then remove the old nozzle and put in a new one, pressing it tightly with the nut. Oil filling is simple: to do this, remove the gearbox cover, having previously unscrewed the fixing bolts. As for cleaning the housing from dust, it is carried out using a vacuum cleaner.
Work with an angle grinder must be carried out in accordance with all safety regulations. The craftsman needs to wear protective gloves, goggles or a face shield. Do not start cutting the material with a broken or cracked disc, as it may cause injury. Grinding with a cutting disc is also not allowed, and cutting is cleaned.
For cutting and polishing various materials requires a certain speed of rotation of the disk, it can be adjusted using a special automatic system, which is controlled on the body by moving the lever. Thus, it is possible to easily reduce or increase the speed. In addition, you can lower the speed using large diameter discs.
See how to properly do-it-yourself the speed control of an angle grinder in the next video.
The term "angle grinder" refers to an angle grinder (angle grinder), which appeared on the market in the mid-70s of the last century. The birthplace of the instrument is Bulgaria, which served as a prototype for the affectionate nickname that has taken root in everyday life.
Currently, this grinder is an integral part of the working tool of any home master. Given the demand, the market offers various models of equipment designed for domestic and professional use.
It is not difficult to choose an angle grinder, the main thing is to precisely determine for what purposes the tool will be used, and to know the characteristics that are worth paying attention to.
The purpose of the instrument is disclosed in its name. This is an angle grinder, therefore, an angle grinder was originally created for grinding hard surfaces. However, many craftsmen use a power tool as a saw, cutting off metal pipes, fittings and other durable materials that an ordinary hand saw cannot handle.
This multifunctionality is explained by the fact that the market flexibly adapts to the consumer, offering various types of disks, nozzles designed to work with metal, concrete, brick, glass and even ceramic tiles to equip an angle grinder. Therefore, after purchasing an angle grinder, it is enough for the master to stock up on various options for abrasive consumables and simply change them depending on the specificity and complexity of the work performed.
The design of the angle grinder is quite simple:
- body. An electric motor is installed inside, rotating the shaft through a gear transmission. In most models, the housing performs the function of a handle; therefore, the on / off button and the spindle speed controller are located here;
- gearbox. It is a transmission link for the working force from the electric motor to the cutting disc, is directly connected to a rotating shaft;
- spindle. This is the mounting shaft for the grinding or cutting disc, usually complemented by a locking button, clamping nuts for installing the abrasive wheel;
- protective cover. A safety element that protects the craftsman from flying away sharp particles and shavings that invariably form during sawing.
It should be noted here that the layout and design of the angle grinder may vary depending on the manufacturer. However, the general scheme and principle of operation are maintained regardless of the brand.
What you need to know about drives
A cutting or grinding disc is the main working body of an angle grinder, so when choosing a tool you need to take into account the optimal size of the circle. You need to know that the disk is not fully involved in the cutting process: for these purposes only the part that extends beyond the boundaries of the body is allocated.
Note! Having decided to choose a small angle grinder on which discs with a diameter of 115 mm are placed, it must be borne in mind that the maximum cutting depth will be no more than 25-30 mm.
In addition, in the process, the circle is grinding at an incredible speed. After a few minutes of operation, the initial cutting depth can be reduced by 1.5-2 times. If we take this feature as a basis, we can understand that for sawing metal pipes or rods more than 20 mm thick, a circle with a diameter of 115 millimeters will be ineffective. The cutting edge is sharpened quickly, and the abrasive will have to be changed.
To choose the right drive for home use, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with these characteristics:
- the diameter of 115 mm is unsuitable for cutting material, therefore it is often used for grinding surfaces;
- 125 mm. the most common option for domestic use, which is suitable for grinding and cutting parts;
- 150 mm. the golden mean, characteristic for a semi-professional tool;
- 180 mm. a typical cutting disc for an angle grinder, often used in private and multi-story buildings;
- 230 mm. the maximum diameter that the modern market can offer is ideal for sawing parts, but not intended for grinding.
It follows that for everyday use at home, discs with a diameter of up to 150 mm are well suited, larger circles are used for production purposes.
Power and power type
The average power indicators of modern grinders vary in the range of 0.5-2.5 kW. In this regard, you need to be guided by the intended use of the tool: the higher the complexity of the work, the more powerful the engine should be. A low-power angle grinder will not cope with frequent and intensive cutting of metal, and using a powerful power tool to periodically cut off a piece of reinforcement is simply unprofitable.
It follows that if you need to choose a good angle grinder for home use, a power of 0.5-0.9 kW is enough. Such models are not suitable for production. The product will burn out elementarily, unable to withstand the loads. Here it is better to give preference to an angle grinder with an electric motor power of at least 2 kW.
A separate consideration is the connection method. As standard, the angle grinder is powered by a home power supply via a power cord. However, mobile products equipped with a battery are also on the market. Such models are ideal for use in areas where there is no possibility of a network connection, for example, in a country house.
It should be remembered that cordless angle grinders are not designed for heavy work and sawing up durable materials. In particular, when cutting a thick steel bar, the battery will drain after 5-10 minutes. In wood polishing mode, the battery lasts about an hour.
This parameter determines the speed of rotation of the disk, which has a direct impact on the performance of the tool. The speed is usually indicated in the instructions, but the user can not focus on this characteristic. The fact is that manufacturers independently select the optimal speed depending on the target application and the diameter of the disk.
The only point worthy of attention is the rotation speed controller, which is installed on all professional models. This element allows you to independently adjust the spindle speed depending on the actual load on the cutting edge of the disk.
Note! If the user has a question, which is more important, power or speed, then the choice is best made in favor of the first parameter.
A more powerful angle grinder is a reliable tool that will last a long time without breakdowns. The lack of revolutions can be compensated by the increased cutting or grinding time.
One or two handles
It must immediately be clarified that this element is removable and does not have a significant effect on the cost of a power tool. Therefore, professional builders recommend making a choice in favor of grinders with an additional handle. The fact is that, holding the tool with one hand, it is convenient only to cut the parts. When performing grinding work, holding the tool in one hand is almost impossible even for a physically strong person. Therefore, additional emphasis increases the safety of use and certainly will not be an extra element in the basic configuration.
In addition to the standard layout and operation scheme, most manufacturers equip their models with additional functions that increase operational safety and make the tool more practical to use. There are several useful options that you definitely need to know about when choosing an angle grinder.
Smooth start of the electric motor solves several problems at once. It provides a really soft start without a characteristic jerk of the disc. Protects the motor winding from sudden surges and protects the home electrical system from burnout.
The soft start function is the right choice for a professional tool where powerful motors and large-diameter discs are installed.
An indispensable option if the angle grinder will be used to perform various types of work. It is no secret that metal cutting and grinding of parts require different spindle speeds. Failure to comply with the speed limit leads to premature wear of the disc, and the speed controller helps prevent this problem.
Auto Disc Balance
This option can be found only on quality products of well-known brands. The essence of the chip is that the angle grinder independently levels the runout of the disc with uneven abrasion of the abrasive blade. In particular, the auto-balancing function significantly improves the quality of the work performed and the accuracy of the cut.
I must add that the benefit of the option can only be felt when working with discs with a diameter of 150 mm or more. The surface of a circle of a smaller radius usually grinds evenly, so in fact balancing will be useless, although it will significantly increase the purchase price.
Drive jam protection
A useful option that significantly increases the working life of the electric motor. When cutting hard material, the angle grinder may jam, but the motor will still try to turn the spindle, causing the winding to overheat. Thanks to the built-in protection, when the rotor stops, power to the coil stops being supplied automatically.
The advantage of this feature will be appreciated by professional builders who have to work with various types of building materials. In particular, it is impossible to cut a claydite-concrete block or lay a stroba in a concrete wall without a huge amount of dust.
If you do not take into account the harm to health and the aesthetic side of the issue, we can add that the casing of the angle grinder is leaky, so microscopic dust particles entering the interior significantly increase the wear of all rubbing parts. Therefore, the integrated dust removal system prevents premature failure of the power tool.
Quick release clamp
These are the nuts of the SDS series, which allow changing the disc in just a few seconds without any extra effort. In the standard version, the nut has to be unscrewed with a special wrench, sometimes involving a partner.
Angle grinders are on the market for a wide range of power tools, so choosing a model based on the price-quality ratio is usually not difficult.
The most popular models of such brands are:
The listed manufacturers offer a full range of angle grinders designed for domestic and professional use. There are other companies offering good products in the domestic market. Having carefully studied the characteristics of the tool, having examined it and comparing it with other models, you can always choose an acceptable option.