Plasterboard slabs firmly entered into our everyday life. The scope of their application is extremely wide. they are indispensable in the decoration of walls and the construction of designer structures in the interior. arches, niches, multi-level ceiling. At the same time, the material has a significant drawback. it does not withstand heavy objects, so in order to fix a decor element with a large weight, it is necessary to mount special fasteners.
Few people know, but this problem is very simple to solve. Drywall has an analog that can withstand gravity. this is GVL, or gypsum fiber sheet.
Gypsum fiber sheets. a finishing material made of gypsum with the addition of cellulose, which is necessary for stronger bonding of gypsum particles. Visually, it is similar to GKL, but has higher strength indicators.
Gypsum in the composition of GVL takes about 80%, pulp accounts for 20%. The raw materials are mixed and pressed, as a result of such processing, and a standard sheet of gypsum fiber is obtained. It is a homogeneous structure plate without a paper shell.
By the way, gypsum fiber is an environmentally friendly material, and the cellulose used for its production is obtained from recycled materials, which makes it possible not only to take care of the cleanliness of the environment, but also significantly reduces the cost of plate production, which means it makes the cost of products affordable for Russians.
In addition to uniformity and hardness, a specific parameter of gypsum fiber is the ability to maintain moisture levels. With an increased indicator, the plate absorbs excess moisture, and with dry air. on the contrary, it releases it.
By the way, they produce GVLV-plates that are resistant to moisture, which are a type of GVLV.
Due to its high strength, the viscosity of the material is optimized. The plate is quite plastic, but does not crumble, which distinguishes the material from drywall. So, if a nail is hammered in the GVL, then the sheet will hold it like wood.
Pros and cons
Like any building materials, gypsum fiber has its advantages and disadvantages.
GVL has a number of advantages that allow you to use it in almost any finishing work.
- Environmental Safety. Since gypsum and cellulose predominate in the composition of gypsum fiber without the addition of synthetic components, this material is environmentally friendly, does not emit harmful and toxic substances, therefore it can be used without fear in children’s rooms, as well as in rooms of health centers. It does not cause allergies.
- Maintain a healthy indoor climate. The gypsum fiber sheet has a microporous structure, this leads to the fact that the plate “breathes”, air freely penetrates through it, preventing the appearance of fungus and the propagation of dangerous mold.
Video: Better Cut Gvl Plate
HVL is characterized by good hygroscopicity and resistance to temperature fluctuations; therefore, it can be mounted in rooms with high or low humidity, as well as in cold, slightly heated houses.
- Strength and wear resistance. Gypsum fiber is highly durable, can withstand significant weight, which is why its use is justified in creating a wide variety of interior structures. niches, podiums, etc. To fix a heavy object on the plate, you do not need to equip special belts and use technical devices, it’s enough just screw in a screw, as is done with wood surfaces.
- The material is wear resistant. It does not deform upon impact, therefore it is often used for mounting floor screed or as a substrate for floors.
- High viscosity allows sawing gypsum fiber without waste and screwing screws into it.
- The special structure of the material makes it practical and durable. the technical characteristics remain unchanged for many years of service. This, by the way, compares favorably with drywall from drywall, which can break down over time and release dust with gypsum particles into the air. Often, this destruction causes allergies and diseases of the bronchopulmonary system of adults and children.
- The material is characterized by low thermal conductivity, so it is used for thermal insulation of rooms.
- Installation of GVL allows to significantly reduce the noise level. Depending on the size of the GVL sheet, this indicator can be reduced by 35-40 dB, therefore gypsum fiber is optimal for decorating rooms and bedrooms.
- Light weight. GVL by mass is larger than GKL sheet, however, special mechanisms are not required for its transportation. it can easily be transported alone, lifted and held in position during installation.
- Frost resistance. Another advantage of GVL is its resistance to temperature extremes. It is proved that the material does not form cracks even after 10-fold freezing followed by thawing. This is what makes the use of gypsum fiber during finishing work in rooms with low temperatures, which are rarely and insufficiently heated, relevant.
With all the advantages of the material, it also has a number of disadvantages.
High strength gives a minus. GVL is difficult to bend, therefore, in the manufacture of interior structures with curved shapes, it is worth giving preference to drywall.
Gypsum fiber is more difficult to cut: if GCR is incised and then chipped, then GVL boards must be cut from beginning to end. If this rule is violated, the probability of breakage during installation and further occurrence of deformations increases.
The high cost of the sheet is also a significant minus. GVL sheet is significantly more expensive than a gypsum board plate. Today, the price of GVL is higher than the price of a similar size of plywood, DSV and OSB-boards, so its use is impossible in a limited budget for repairs.
Here, perhaps, are all the shortcomings of gypsum fiber boards. Of course, they are insignificant in comparison with the merits of the material. However, they must be taken into account when planning repairs.