Solving Potential Line Problems
Most line problems are the same for different trimmers and are handled in the same way.
What is needed to replace the cord
With regular use of the grass trimmer to cut grass, the discs become dull, but they can be sharpened and continued to operate. The fishing line in the reel tends to end, so it becomes necessary to refuel a new one, for which it is necessary to determine the type of head and prepare the cord of the required thickness and length.
So, the mowing head is a cylindrical body in which a bobbin with a fishing line is placed. Such a detail is present both on electric trimmers and on gasoline scythes of any brands, be it Bosch, Makita, STIHL or another brand. There are three types of heads depending on the method of threading and feeding the line.
- The principle of operation of the heads of the automatic group is that they independently feed the line when the mower reduces the engine speed. Such designs are convenient when working on large areas, but they have a drawback. high cord consumption.
- The heads of the semi-automatic group are easy to operate. automatic line feed is performed at maximum engine speed. To release the lanyard blockage, gently tap the tool on the ground and the unlocked thread is pulled out of the spool. Cutting to the required length is made with a knife attached to the protective cover.
- grass trimmers with manual line feed must first be switched off, then pull out the line yourself.
On a note! The most convenient and optimal for the price are semi-automatic reels with cord.
Reels for electric and gasoline braids can be with one or two line tendrils. The former are used for trimming low grass growth, the latter for mowing tall grass and small shrubs.
We carry out the winding of the fishing line
Slowly completed disassembly of the spool-spool without losing its spare parts allows you to move on to the main task. winding the fishing line into the reel. Technological features of the spool design and the number of working antennae determine the sequence of actions.
How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer and remove the line
Initially, remove the line from the spool of the grass trimmer before threading it into the spool. A reel or aiming device is a device that sits inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. There are different types of heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of replacing the line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from dirt. With two fingers of one hand, grip the cover latches (on the mowing head), which are symmetrically positioned to each other. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, remove the line spool from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it can be removed with one hand.
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver with an appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew, hold the drum base with one hand, and unscrew it counterclockwise with a screwdriver with the other.
- After that, you can proceed to dismantling. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all your strength, but slightly shaking it to the sides, slowly disengage it from the metal shaft on which the drum is seated.
- When reinstalling, fit the head into the square slots
триммер Bosch 26 easytrim.
This process is not difficult, and as you know, there is no need to dismantle the entire head if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, consider the following nuances:
- Periodic removal of the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you never unscrew the screw, then if necessary, it will be difficult and even impossible to do this.
- If the screw has a four-sided bore of the head, then for unscrewing it is necessary to select a screwdriver or bits of a suitable size in order to exclude the licking of the edges on the head
- When assembling the unit, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, for example, grease or machine oil.
- If the edges on the screw are licked, then special clamping pliers can be used to unscrew it.
- There are drums that do not require preliminary disassembly. To dismantle them, grab it and rotate in the opposite direction to the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out how to change the grass trimmer line. The video below shows the detailed process of how to open the grass trimmer coil and disassemble it.
Installing a new line on the grass trimmer reel
Fitting a reel with a new line is carried out in the reverse order. The procedure looks something like the following, regardless of the lawn mower model:
The final moment of the instructions
Usually, the process of changing the line on a particular model trimmer is popularly described in the accompanying documentation. Another question is that this documentation is often supplied in a foreign language, since the notorious lawn mowers for the most part are imported products.
Meanwhile, there is a much simpler, more economical and beneficial for human health and nature way. putting in order the lawns of an ordinary peasant scythe. Grass scythe blade:
- does not “tear” the stems of grass,
- does not uproot plants,
- cuts neatly,
which is further accompanied by abundantly growing greens, and not the formation of dead wood as a result of the work of the grass trimmer.
How to remove the spool and replace the line
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, find themselves in confusion, bordering on panic, when the need arises to change the cutter or line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Switch off the brushcutter engine or power off the electric grass trimmer before threading the line into the spool to avoid injury from accidental starting rotation of the cutting tool.
- Unscrew the attachment attached to the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be fixed by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axle, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should be aware that the thread on the shaft is left-handed. Therefore, turn the grass trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached to the clips. To remove it, you will need to sink these latches into the case, pressing the edges of the cover. If your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, then the disassembly of the attachment should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut off the required amount of line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the same diameter as indicated in the instructions for the tool. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum line diameter as this will result in increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
- Find the midpoint of the line by folding it in half. You will have a loop.
- Special grooves are cut inside the coil (there may be holes). Insert a loop of line into this groove.
- Wind the line around the spool by turning it counterclockwise. It is necessary to fill in the cord as evenly as possible, the turns should lie down without overlapping and with good tension. When the winding is finished, leave free ends of the line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Be sure to insert the spring and washer (if equipped) before final assembly of the accessory. Place the spool in the body and thread the ends of the cord through the holes or lugs.
- Put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
- Screw the adapter back onto the gearbox shaft, also securing it with a screwdriver. You will need to twist the grass trimmer coil to the left (counter-clockwise).
The cord lengthens spontaneously
There are times when the user of the grass trimmer notices a very fast line flow. At the same time, he never hit the ground with a button to lengthen the line. The reason that the line spontaneously lengthens, being cut on a special knife on the casing of the device, may be the absence of a spring in the mowing head. Often novice users of mowers, trying to load the line into the reel, forget to install the pressure spring in the head, or completely lose it when opening the lid, and in the future, do not even know about its existence.
Also, the line can be lengthened without using a button if the spring is loose. If checking the spring has confirmed this fact, then several washers must be placed under it in order to enhance its clamping properties.
Grass trimmer coil device
Trimmer mowing heads come in a variety of designs, both simple and complex. The picture below shows an exploded view of a semi-automatic trimmer head from a Husqvarna (Husqvarna) brushcutter.
This type of head is present on most mowers and electric trimmers, such as STIHL (STIHL), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The device of the mowing head is quite simple. It includes the following details:
- mowing head base;
- button for semi-automatic cord feed;
- bobbin (spool) into which the fishing line is tucked;
- eyes. through them the line comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- line (cord).
There are also simpler trim heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow you to change the length of the line in a semi-automatic mode (after pressing a button). If the cord breaks, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
DIY grass trimmer coil repair
The grass trimmer, whether petrol or electric, is the only solution for mowing grass in tight spaces that a wheeled lawnmower cannot handle. As a cutting tool in trimmers, metal knives or a special line are used, which is tucked into the coil of the grass trimmer. But, unfortunately, trimmer heads become unusable over time during operation. Some malfunctions can be eliminated by hand, and some require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
Line does not extend automatically
If the line does not lengthen when you lightly hit the grass trimmer button on the ground, the reasons may be as follows:.
Option 1. a bite has occurred, i.e. clamping the cord between turns. This problem usually appears if the user has been winding the line on the reel unevenly, with intersecting turns, or winding it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, as a result of which inter-turn clamping of the fishing line is possible. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2. too short ends protrude from the head. The line may not come out when hitting the ground if the ends sticking out of the head are not long enough (short). In this case, the centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is required to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the electric grass trimmer from the mains) and pull the line manually, after pressing the button.
DIY cutting line for Bosch Grass Trimmer ART 23 SL
Option 3. the line is brazed inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to lock and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor cord quality, coil overheating during prolonged operation of the unit, line hitting hard objects.
HOW TO CHANGE STRIMMER LINE ON BOSCH ART 23 Lor is it trimmer?
- In the first case, third-party cord can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that cannot withstand mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, you should give preference to “branded” lines.
- But, if you nevertheless purchased a fishing line of unknown quality, and it is often soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after filling the cord into the reel, wet it with either silicone grease (from a can) or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of soldering the turns of the fishing line together.
- Also, the line can be soldered if it hits a hard object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.) during mowing. As a result, it stretches slightly and is pulled back into the head at high speed. From friction, the cord heats up, and its turns stick together. The only thing that can be done to correct this problem is to open the reel of the grass trimmer and rewind the line.
Major coil malfunctions
Electric trimmer and lawn mower users often face a problem with a semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions can be as follows:
- the line does not lengthen automatically;
- the cord spontaneously comes out of the reel.
Is it possible to make a coil for a grass trimmer with your own hands
- Take a piece of plywood or PCB and draw a circle about 14 cm in diameter on it.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or metal hacksaw.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disc that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Do not forget to put a washer on it before installing the disc on the shaft.
- Small corners can be screwed on the edges of the disc or 1-2 holes can be made on opposite sides. They will serve for refueling the fishing line in them.
- Several screws can be screwed into the plywood to fix the line.
This homemade mowing head is secured to the shaft with a nut. It will not work to tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft. To replace the cord, it will be enough to loosen the screws, insert a piece of line of the required length and press it again.
Also, the mowing attachment for attaching the fishing line to it can be made of metal sheet. How to do this can be understood from the following video.