How to cut the inner and outer corner of the ceiling fillet with a photo
Thus, we cut the skirting board, if necessary.Get the outer corner.
In the end, these are the edges with fillets.
Then the inner corner. Pay your attention, but at what angle and from which side with a miter box you need to cut the ceiling plinth.
This is what happened in the end, after cutting and gluing to the wall.
Do-it-yourself apartment renovation website advises to start practicing on pieces, if everything works out, then go ahead, cut out the inner and outer corners.
If everything was done correctly, then it turned out to cut the first corner. You can glue two corner skirting boards to the wall. If you have chosen the method of gluing on the wallpaper, then coat the fillets with glue and attach them more tightly to the wall. Remaining glue can be removed with a soft cloth. Also cover the cracks between the wall with glue.
If you have chosen a way to attach the ceiling skirting boards to wallpapering, then they need to be fixed with a putty. Apply the putty to the fillet with a spatula. And attach more tightly to the wall. Remove residues with a spatula or a damp cloth. The cracks can also be covered with putty.
Tips to ease the installation of ceiling dumbbells:
- To correctly measure, the bar is measured between two corners. In this case, for internal corners, the length is measured from the internal elements, and the distance from the external corners is measured from a point that is spaced from the internal by a distance equal to the width of the plinth deep into the room.
- When installing foam skirting boards at the junction between the wall and the stretch ceiling, glue is applied to the part of the skirting board that is in contact with the wall, and not with the canvas.
- The final fixation of the skirting board is carried out after the corner of the adjacent plank is adjusted to it.
- If there is a right angle in the walls, ceiling and floor, the planks are easier to fit below, spreading the parts on the floor or on a prepared table.
- Small gaps remaining in the corners are putty.
- Particular attention should be paid to the installation of rare wood skirting boards. In this case, the putty of the gaps will most likely not give the expected result. A bright spot appears on the texture background.
Well, are the inner and outer corners ready? So you are doing the fillet installation correctly. Now take the next plank and in the same way attach it to the wall to the glued skirting board and do not forget to grease the corner joint. When you proceed to the next corner, then carefully measure the distance that remains, and cut off the missing part, everything should be very accurate. The side that goes joint to joint with the skirting board will remain unchanged. So Cut out every corner. When everything is glued, then they can be painted to match the color of the ceiling. Good luck gentlemen and remember that you need to cut after determining the exact size.
How to make installation
You need to cut with the help of such tools: a miter box, a hacksaw, a sharp knife. Insert a piece of material into the miter box at a 45 degree angle and press down firmly. Now it remains at the right angle and cut the ceiling plinth from the right side.
Take your time to glue the curtain rods along straight sections. Tackle the corners first. In this case, you can trim them, if necessary, or grind them to obtain a good joint.
Now let’s figure out in more detail how the installation of the ceiling plinth is done with photo examples.
How to properly glue the ceiling plinth
So let’s get started. First, measure the footage of the perimeter of the room and determine how many fillets you need. The length usually goes according to the standard 2 meters. But it is best to purchase with a margin, just in case. Also decide on the width that suits you. They can be glued to the wall in different ways.
The first way: on a special putty or acrylic (before gluing the wallpaper). And the second: immediately on the wallpaper and on the sealant.
Most people prefer to attach directly to the wallpaper. We advise, as an option, glue on a silicone sealant, it is perfect for this job. The manufacturer does not play much here. Everything will hold up perfectly. But this method is even suitable for those who have curved walls, since gaps can form between the wall and fillets, they will need to be covered with the same sealant. It is white, so it will turn out more or less normal.
It is advisable to align the walls. The master advises to glue the ceiling plinths on the putty, that is, before pasting the wallpaper. In this way, the gaps are sealed with a putty. And accordingly, adjust the wallpaper to the fillet itself. This option will suit the more experienced.
Basically, craftsmen prefer to glue the foam plinth on an acrylic white sealant, it can be easily applied, it holds well and dries quickly. Its main property is that it can fill up cracks, corners and it can be painted well. The cost of acrylic sealant is within 100 rubles. And it doesn’t make much sense to buy dear.
In general, everyone decides for himself which way to use.
How to glue a ceiling plinth, cut fillet corners correctly
Do you want to cut and glue the skirting board correctly, but don’t know how to do it? At first glance, this does not seem difficult, but if you look at it in more detail, then everything is not so simple. The photo below shows how to properly cut and glue the inner and outer corner of the ceiling plinths (fillets) made of foam or polyurethane. All instructions are written in stages in an understandable form with examples.
Masking joints and painting
If, after gluing the ceiling plinth, there are small gaps between the strips, this is absolutely not a problem, because they can be easily eliminated by rubbing in a white sealant. If you have NOT whitewashed or painted the ceiling yet, then the next best option would be.
With a light putty, you need to go over all the glued strips, smearing them like a coloring compound, and after drying, you should remove the excess with a fine sandpaper or a special grinding sponge for plastering. After such a final finish, the ceiling and moldings will become a single whole, and you, in turn, will not find a single gap.
After you have glued the ceiling plinth and removed all the flaws, you can start painting the plinth. The process of painting the plinth is considered optional, but if you want to give your ceiling a finished and more attractive look, then the plinth is still a decoration.
Plain collective farm option. Cut by eye under 45. For this, the abutting part is taken, which is adjusted to the previous angle in fact.
You can try on the structure by weight, it is quite a long and painstaking business. Need maximum precision!
When fitting, I constantly try on the resulting Pairing on the spot. Only after several fittings can you achieve a good result, and then glue the baseboard to the base. In short, you can’t do without experience 🙂
A way to fit a skirting board without using a miter box
How to trim the corner of a ceiling plinth using ceiling markings
Marking the skirting board on the ceiling also allows you to cut the corner straight and precisely. The only drawback of this method is that it is difficult and inconvenient to keep the plinth plinth suspended during the cutting process. For the rest of the tent, the angle for cutting in this way can be even more accurate than in other ways. Applying the skirting board to the installation site, all wall flaws and deviations in the angle size are immediately taken into account.
Cutting the corner of the ceiling plinth:
- First of all, two workpieces must be cut at an angle of 90 degrees.
- Then we first apply one plank, rests its end against the perpendicular wall. We draw a line on the ceiling, outlining the contour of the plinth.
- We remove this bar and apply a striker, also rests its butt against the wall. We outline the line.
- The point of intersection of the marked lines will be the mark at which the skirting board needs to be cut.
- Again, we apply each bar in turn and mark the cutting point on them.
- We draw the line from this point to the second edge of the plinth.
We cut the skirting boards along the outlined lines, join them and apply them to the installation site. Please note that this method is easier to cut inside corners.
The ceiling plinth performs not only a decorative function, we visually separate the walls from the ceiling, but can also hide the joints of various finishing materials of the ceiling and walls. Not every interior design involves the use of a skirting board, but more often than not, the overall appearance of the room seems incomplete without it. In the fastening of this element. Galteli. There is nothing complicated, almost all types of skirting boards are attached with glue. But the question of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners of the premises can confuse many. After all, even in the simplest room there are internal corners, where the plinths of the ceiling plinth must be precisely and beautifully docked. And in a more complex configuration of the room, you will also have to dock the skirting boards, performing the outer corner. In this article we will look at various options for how to cut a ceiling plinth with and without tools at hand.
First you need to figure out how to cut the ceiling plinth, the answer to it depends on the material from which the fillet is made. At the moment, we sell ceiling skirting boards made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), expanded polystyrene (foam), hydro and wood.
PVC ceiling skirting boards are the cheapest. Dents and creases are easily formed on them, which cannot be removed, so the product has to be thrown away. Also their disadvantage is electrostaticity. The ability to attract dust. You can cut them with a sharp construction knife or hacksaw.
Styrofoam ceiling skirting boards are also cheap. This material is very fragile, it crumbles easily during processing, therefore, it is necessary to cut the expanded polystyrene with a sharp knife or a hacksaw on metal, and not making too strong pressing forces.
Ceiling skirting boards made of extruded polystyrene foam are slightly more expensive than polystyrene foam, they are denser and more difficult to cut. However, they crumble less, making them easier and more comfortable to work with. Cut with a construction knife and a hacksaw for metal.
Polyurethane ceiling skirting boards are the most expensive at the moment. They are durable, elastic and moisture resistant, can be easily cut with a construction knife and DO NOT crumble. The disadvantage of polyurethane skirting boards is their dependence on temperature changes. For example, over a gas stove, a polyurethane skirting board will permanently deform and crackle slightly. If you try to process or cut such a plinth, it may bend or deform in a second way.
Wooden ceiling skirting boards are dense, heavy products that can only be cut with a hacksaw, preferably with fine, dense teeth. You can also use a cloth for metal.
Before proceeding to the enumeration of the ways how to properly cut the ceiling plinth, I would like to note that it is possible NOT to cut the plinth with special precision. On sale there are special corner elements, into which the edges of the skirting board are inserted. In this case, it is enough to cut the plinth strip at an angle of 90 , and the corner element will hide all the flaws. But this method is not always used, since the dimensions of the corner elements are slightly larger than the baseboards themselves, so the corners in the room will stand out against the general background. Sometimes it can look bulky. However, if the design of the room allows the use of corner pieces for ceiling skirting boards, it makes sense to use them. Further instructions will be useful for those who nevertheless decided to accurately cut the skirting boards at a given angle.
How to cut a ceiling plinth using a miter box template
Something resembling a miter box can be done by applying the desired cut angles to paper, cardboard or wood. Draw two parallel mowing lines, locate the center, and then use a protractor to set the desired angles. The advantage of this method is that you can postpone any angle, including more than 90 degrees. Of course, before cutting the corners of the ceiling plinth, you must first check the angle between the walls using a corner and measure with a protractor.
The technique of cutting the ceiling plinth using a miter box drawn is exactly the same as using the miter box itself. The plinth plank is pressed against one of the parallel lines, then we set the hacksaw at the desired angle, which is already outlined, and cut off.
How to cut a corner of a ceiling plinth using a miter box
Miter box. A simple carpentry tool that allows you to cut the workpiece at the desired angle. Most often it is a tray made of plastic, wood or metal with vertical slots for cutting at an angle of 90 and 45. There are also more complex miter box designs. For cutting at 90, 60 and 45 degrees. For more professional work, a miter box with a swivel mechanism is used, where the hacksaw can be fixed at any angle to the workpiece.
How to cut a ceiling plinth with a miter box. Inner corner:
- We apply the plinth to the ceiling, measuring the required length.
- Then Install the plinth strip in the miter box so that the position coincides with the position of the plinth on the ceiling.
- The plinth strip must be pressed against the far wall of the miter box.
- Hold the plinth with your left hand.
- We choose such a position of the hacksaw when the angle is 45 degrees and the handle of the hacksaw is as close as possible to the left hand.
- We cut the workpiece, and without making excessive pressure on the saw.
- Next step. Trimming the skirting board striker. We also install it to the far wall of the miter box.
- Presses and holds with the right hand.
- We choose such a position for the hacksaw when the angle is 45 degrees and the handle of the hacksaw approaches the right hand.
- Cut off the skirting board.
Next, we join the trimmed plinths and check the cutting accuracy. For a more accurate orientation, they also say that to complete the inner corner, it is necessary to start cutting from the front of the skirting board. After cutting, wooden skirting boards will most likely have to be adjusted with a file.
How to cut a ceiling plinth with a miter box. Outside corner:
- In order not to be mistaken with the dimensions, it is better to start by marking the inner corner, and then cut out the outer corner. Otherwise, a situation is possible when the bar may not be enough in length.
- You must attach the plank to the ceiling and tent dimensions.
- Install the plinth strip and press it against the nearest wall.
- Hold it with your left hand and choose a position for the hacksaw at an angle of 45 degrees, when the handle approaches the left hand.
- Cut off the workpiece.
- Install the striker to the nearest wall, hold it with your right hand.
- We set the hacksaw at an angle of 45 degrees, when the handle approaches the right hand.
- Cut off the workpiece and join the corner.
Trimming the workpiece with a miter box is only suitable if the angle between the walls is uneven. 90 degrees. If the accuracy is poor, you will have to use other methods.
DIY impromptu miter box
Making a miter box with your own hands is also not difficult.
Method 1. You will need three wooden planks or boards, which must be put together in a U-shaped box. Then the required angles are marked on the walls of the box, and a cut is made with a hacksaw. In total, you should get a wooden miter box in which grooves are cut.
Method 2. A combination of an improvised miter box and a template with the intended lines. For the convenience of cutting, it is necessary to build something in which it will be convenient to hold the plinth plinth, since it is difficult to keep it suspended. Enough to put together a corner from two wooden planks or boards. On paper, you need to draw a mowing line with angles for cutting at 45 degrees or at any other. Then we apply the skirting board blank to the corner, presses it by hand, as described in the technology of using a miter box, a piece of paper with a template is moved under the edge where we are going to cut it, and Cut it off. In the process of cutting, we focus on the line drawn on the paper.
Method 3. As an impromptu miter box, you can use anything, anything. What is forming a corner. For example, a table pushed against a wall.
It is NOT worth fixing the plinths of the ceiling plinths to how you cut the striker and tried on their location. Only after the two strikers are perfectly aligned in the corner, you can start attaching them to the ceiling. Minor flaws can be finished with a file or a nail file in the case of wooden and polyurethane skirting boards. To fit foam products, you will have to wield a sharp knife.
If suddenly, even after adjusting the skirting boards, a small gap remains between them, do not despair, it can be repaired with putty. Cutting the ceiling plinth yourself is not difficult. But in order not to spoil many products, it is better to pre-train on small blanks.
How to cut a ceiling plinth correctly
- 1 Methods for cutting skirting boards
- 2 Preparation of seams with an arbitrary angle
- 3 The final stage of work
It is known that in order to obtain a perfect articulation of two corner pieces of the ceiling plinth, it is necessary to correctly form the cutting line of each of them. In this article you can learn how to properly cut the ceiling plinth, as well as familiarize yourself with the topic of the devices that are necessary for this.
The final stage of work
Final adjustment of the skirting board
Upon completion of the operations to form the joints, a control check of the fit of the blanks on the cut should be carried out.
In the event that there are gaps in the joint, you will have to make an exact fit by slightly cutting the skirting board or processing the sections with sandpaper.
And in conclusion, we will acquaint you with how to properly cut the ceiling plinth more accurately. Fitting the mowing line Docking of adjacent skirting boards should be done before you start marking and trimming its length. In the reverse order of operations (first. Length, and then. Angle) and with a failed attempt to design the joint, you risk completely ruining the workpiece.
Methods for cutting skirting boards
There are the following ways to cut the skirting board:
- Cutting with a miter box.
- Cutting with a special stencil.
- Cutting by applying pencil markings.
A miter box is a special device with which you can form an arbitrary angle from those that are in its set of cuts.
Using a miter box
When working with this device, the skirting board must be inserted in exactly the same way as it will be located on the ceiling. Holding the upper part of the workpiece, its lower edge must be pressed against the wall of the fixture and cut in the shape of your choice.
You can use a conventional metal hacksaw to prepare your plastic skirting boards. But when using it, you should not make significant efforts, as this can lead to the formation of chips.
Arbitrary corner preparation
Stencil cutting Since the walls in the rooms do not always adjoin one another at 90 degrees. It is worth Reading the technique of preparing an arbitrary cutting angle.
This technique is implemented, as a rule, in the following two ways:
- Using a cardboard stencil, the halves of which are obtained by cutting it at the angle you need. Using such a stencil as a template along which cuts of skirting boards are formed, you can get the perfect corner joint.
- The second method involves preparing the cutting site by means of pencil markings and is as follows:
- Pencil markup method both joining blanks are sawn off at an angle of 90 degrees;
- One of them is applied to the corner, and then a line is outlined on it for the abutment of the plinth to the ceiling;
- The same actions are carried out with the second workpiece (on the adjacent wall)
- The point of intersection of the two lines obtained should be carefully transferred to both blanks;
- From the marks obtained on the blanks after transferring them from the ceiling, we draw an oblique line to the opposite corner of the plinth and we get a cutting line.
Preparing the cut line Pay particular attention to the fact that with this method of marking it is necessary to maintain maximum accuracy. The quality of the resulting joint will completely depend on how accurately you carry out this procedure (and, of course, on the accuracy with which you will shape the cut on the blanks).
In the same sequence, the cutting lines for the outer corner are prepared. But at the same time, the point of intersection of the marking lines is transferred to the baseboards, there is a need, since in this situation it is the upper mating point of the corner parts of the blanks. In this case, the point of contact with the wall is transferred.
For more information on the technique of cutting ceiling plinth for corners, see the following:
Features of cutting ceiling plinths in a miter box
It is necessary to work with this device extremely carefully so as not to blunt the tool and leave no cuts in unnecessary places. In the process, we adhere to the following instructions:
- We fix the baguette in the miter box in the same way as it is planned to place it on the wall. The side that will press against the ceiling on the miter box should lie against the sidewall.
We insert a cutting tool (hacksaw or knife) into the desired gap and cut the fillet.
- We process the joint of the ceiling plinth and apply it to the wall to check the correctness. The foam molding can be tweaked with a sharp knife if the end is uneven. About 2 mm. A wooden skirting board can be simply sanded with sandpaper. For ease of use, it can be glued to a wooden block.
How to cut a ceiling plinth
One of the most difficult steps in installing skirting boards is cutting them correctly. Only by correctly joining the individual elements at the outer and inner corners will you get the desired result. Fillets will look aesthetically pleasing and neat if you cut them off at the right angle and seal the cracks. A special tool (miter box) is used to accomplish this task. And if it is not there, then other devices will help.
Method for cutting ceiling plinth without miter box
To neatly dock fillets in the inner corners, you can do without a miter box.
We carry out the work in the following order:
- We attach the end part of the baguette to the letter of paper and outline the contour of the convex side. It is more convenient to use a small piece of plinth (if any).
Cut out the resulting template.
We transfer the contour to the surface of the baguette with a simple pencil.
Cut along the drawn curve.
For fitting, one plinth is applied tightly with the end part to the wall, and then the second.
- If there are small gaps, then they can be processed with a clerical knife or sealed Subsequently with a sealant.
Rules for cutting ceiling plinths by marking
This method is used to cut skirting boards in cases where there is neither a miter box nor parts from which it can be made.
To do this, you need to make markings on the wall in this order:
- We put the baguette in the corner to the place of fastening.
Along its one edge we draw the base line on the ceiling for the attachment level.
We apply the fillet in the same way to the perpendicularly drawn mowing line on the ceiling and again draw a straight line along one side. We should have two segments, which intersect at one point.
We again apply two plinths in turn and mark this point on them.
We repeat the same procedure now on the wall to mark on the products the place of cutting from below.
We connect two points with a line. It can run at an angle of 38-45 degrees, since walls and corners in living rooms are often uneven.
- Cut off the baguette along the mowing line.
Cutting technology for ceiling plinths
For efficient and high-quality work, you need to choose a tool in accordance with the material of the baseboard and choose a cutting method. If you have a miter box, then there will be NO special difficulties in the process. If it is not there, then two options are possible: cut according to a template and measure on the ceiling or make this tool yourself.
Technique for cutting ceiling skirting boards
This method can be used if you have corners. Smooth, and you want to trim the baguette exactly 45 degrees. To do this, before cutting the ceiling plinth in the corners, you need to draw a miter box on thick paper. Draw two parallel mowing lines and mark the angles at the desired degrees using a protractor.
Placing the fillet in this case in the same way as in the traditional miter box. Please note that you need to cut the skirting board holding the tool in a strictly vertical position.
First way. Using a miter box
The miter box usually looks like a tray with vertical holes for a hacksaw. It can be made of wood, metal or plastic. This tool represents the oldest and simplest carpenter’s tool for cutting wood pieces at a 90 ° angle. and 45. There are types of such a device for professional work, with a swivel mechanism, in which the cutting tool can be rotated and fixed in any position.
How to cut a ceiling plinth correctly
Ceiling corners are divided into internal and external corners, the method of joining on them is slightly different.
How to cut the corner of a ceiling plinth straight
A beautiful and neat edging of the ceiling hides the joints of the border with coverings and is an additional element of the room’s decor. But in order for the ceiling plinth to look really beautiful, you need to be able to qualitatively join its corner joints. How to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth evenly can be found in our article. Related article: how to properly glue the ceiling plinth with glue and putty.
- Measure the length of the plinth from the nearest wall to the outer corner, leave the fishing line on the wrong side with a pencil, indicating the desired length. It should be noted that the edge (its upper part) should extend slightly outward.
- The plinth is moved to the miter box and cut off.
- The adjacent strip also needs to be measured with a margin and cut off in a mirror image to the first part.
Trying on a ceiling plinth: the joining of the parts should be perfectly even. If the result is not achieved and there are irregularities at the joint, you can trim the edges with an ordinary knife to a perfect joint.
Checking the smooth docking
All the nuances are well described:
- We make the right measurements.
- We install the plinth plinth in the miter box so that this position exactly coincides with the placement on the ceiling.
- The plinth should be firmly pressed against the opposite wall of the miter box. Hold and press with your free hand.
- We put the hacksaw at an angle of 45 into a special hole and Cut off the part.
- The adjacent part must be cut in the same way, only in a mirror image, as shown in the photo.
Method two. No additional tools
For the inner corner, you can use the simplest method for perfect joining. By marking on the ceiling. Another example of how to cut a corner nice and even.
- Apply a fillet to the ceiling, tightly presses its even edge into a corner.
- Draw a line along the long side of the plinth on the ceiling.
- The same action is done with the adjacent part on the other side.
- Mark the point of intersection of lines.
In total, you get an even angle of 45 , if you draw the line from the point of intersection to the edge of the part. Note that the above method of marking works only at perfectly flat corners.
With a good eye and accuracy of hand action, you can use a homemade template that resembles an imitation of a miter box. To do this, take a thin board or thick plywood and draw a layout in the form of a horizontal rectangle. Mark 45 with a protractor on the right and left side of the rectangle. Mowing line lines connecting opposite edges. You can now cut the ceiling plinth using this layout. The actions are simple and similar to the description above in the first option. Only the ceiling parts should NOT be inserted, but put on the drawing and combine the hacksaw with the layout of the layout.
Special accessories for docking