During self-facing, the question often arises of cutting tiles at home. There are many options and the final choice depends on a lot of factors.
When performing finishing work, you can not do without cutting tiles
- tile cutter;
- Angle Grinder;
Electric devices allow you to work with greater efficiency and less effort and time, but take up a lot of space.
A simple hand tool is best for home.
What else is used:
- sharp forceps;
- diamond wire;
- glass cutter and pliers.
These options are used with soft tiles, and a large amount of work with such tools seems overwhelming. But with their help they perform the adjustment.
How to choose the right option
With soft porous tiles, in particular glazed, hand tools are used. The pressure force is enough to split the tile into two parts. If you work with porcelain tiles, then you can not do without special electric devices.
Embossed ceramic tiles need to be cut only on the front side, so glass cutters and other tools that work on the same principle will not work. They use electric devices, because at the slightest deviations a chip is formed. It is difficult to wipe the damaged area because the pattern is disturbed.
Which nozzle to use
The next important point is the selection of a suitable cutter. Each type of material and tool has its own parameters. When working with ceramic tiles, it is recommended to use cutters with diamond components. For an angle grinder and an electric tile cutter, this is a disk, for a jigsaw. a wire with spraying, and for a glass cutter. a diamond pebble.
Special nozzle for angle grinder
Less durable materials do not withstand contact with the tiles or are very quickly rubbed.
Video: How to Cut Ceramic Tiles Figured
What type of disc is used for angle grinder? Apply a nozzle for dry cutting. The electric tile cutter has more choices. It all depends on the type of design. When operating the tool on the principle of a simple circular saw, a dry blade is sufficient. If there is a water tank in the machine, such a nozzle will not work, replace it with a wet cutting blade. The advantage of this method is the absence of a large amount of dust and dirt.
They have their advantages. Firstly, the cost is relatively low, and secondly, they occupy a minimum of space and it is quite simple to use them. But they are inferior to electrical analogues in efficiency and are suitable only for a small amount of work.
How to cut tiles with a glass cutter:
- Mark the line;
- Put the tile on the table so that it does not slip;
- Using a ruler, draw a line exactly at the mark. Be confident, but don’t push too hard;
- Tap the back of the tool along the cut;
- Move the tile to the edge of the table so that the fishing line is a canopy;
- Press on the edge of the tile. If the work is done correctly, it will split evenly along the line;
- If the teeth remain, cut them with forceps, and then sand off small defects with sandpaper.
Such devices are intended for domestic use.
How to use a manual tile cutter:
- Put the tile on the base of the tool so that the marking line coincides with the position of the cutter;
- Press the blade against the tile and pull the handle, guiding it;
- The movement is moderately smooth, the pressure is not too strong, do everything in one go;
- Break the tile along the furrow line.
With their help, a huge amount of material of any strength is quickly and effortlessly processed. It is more convenient to make curly cuts. True, the dimensions of such tools are larger.
This category includes:
- electric tile cutters;
- Angle Grinder;
- electro glass cutter;
- circular saw with a nozzle disk;
For facing on an “industrial” scale, power tools equipped with water cooling are used.
How to trim a tile with an electric tile cutter:
- Check up reliability of fastening of the cutting elements;
- Mark the line;
- Fix the tile on the base of the device or on the working surface for cutting;
- Lead the cutting part, if you use stationary devices, then the tile moves towards the disk.
A huge plus. immediately get the cut part. However, a minus is an increased risk of injury. Take care of your hands and follow the recommendations for protecting your eyes and respiratory organs from dust and small sharp particles.