Vaccination helps to heal and rejuvenate fruit crops, adapt to the microclimate and soil, increase fruiting, improve the variety and increase resistance to diseases and pests. The grafted part provides the process of photosynthesis and determines the appearance. It is recommended to plant plants from the beginning of sap flow, given the region and weather conditions. One option for healing is to use a drill.
The easiest ways to get vaccinated
Thanks to the electric drill, neat holes are obtained, without burrs. The risk of rotting is reduced. Vaccination methods:
- Prepare a place for future introduction of the scion on a tree trunk. Excess branches are carefully removed and smeared with a place of slices. If this is not done, the effectiveness of the vaccine is reduced. In the desired area, the bark is cleaned, removing dust and dirt. Some gardeners disinfect with a weak solution of potassium permanganate. The drill is selected according to the size of the handle. it should be 2-3 mm smaller in diameter. They clean the end of the handle by 3-4 cm, drill a hole at the same depth at an angle of 75-90 °. In order not to drill a hole deeper than necessary, several rounds of tape-limiter are wound on the drill. Very carefully hammer the stalk so that it fits tightly into the hole. So that the scion site does not rot, it is lubricated with garden var.
- For the recovery of trees, it is recommended to use a different method. The trunk is cut to the desired height, the drill is selected, as already described, the limiter is fixed on it. They clean the ends of the scion from the bark by 4-5 cm. The saw cut can be sterilized with potassium permanganate, like the tool used. Immediately drill several holes, hammer the cuttings, apply a garden var. Since the new shoots are arranged vertically, the contact area is much larger, which provides increased survival. With this option of gardening, labor costs are minimal.
- When working with vines using a similar method. On the bush, the thickest vine is selected, small branches and the crown are removed. Inspect the whip. The plot for grafting is chosen from the more elastic and thicker side of the vine, as cambium and accelerated sap flow function in this area. Since the stalk will be inserted at an angle, they are prepared as follows: on the one hand, which shoot will adhere to the mother plant, they are cleaned by 2 to wood, another 1 cm to cambium and 1 to the bark. On the other hand, before the wood, the area that will go into the hole is cleaned. Cut a branch or the upper part of the vine, backing 5 cm from the cut, drill a hole, the diameter of 2-3 mm is already the thickness of the scion. Further actions as in the above cases. treatment with var.
Video: How to Inoculate Using Drills
You can plant not only the trunk, but also the place of sawn branches. In this case, a hole is made in the saw cut. In this way, a snug fit can be ensured.
Pros and cons of using a drill
- it is necessary to select a drill according to the size of each handle, and if there are a lot of them, the operating time is significantly extended;
- you have to think about power supply, wires get confused in the grass and bushes, the safety precautions for working with electrical appliances are violated.
If you replace the electric drill with a hand tool or a screwdriver, the possibility of making neat holes without burrs is reduced. It is advisable to soak the cleaned ends of the scion with Heteroauxin, a plant growth stimulant. This increases the survival rate.
Some gardeners, before inserting a cleaned shoot into a prepared hole, take it into their mouth for a few seconds, “lick it”. Scientific studies have proved the beneficial effect of human saliva on plant growth, since auxin, another stimulator of plant development, is present in the body fluid.
The time for vaccination with a drill is the same as with the “split” version. In the maternal trunk (or vine) sap flow should already begin, and the buds on the shoots, prepared for implantation, should still “sleep”. If replanting is carried out earlier, then 73% of the new shoot is rejected by sap flow. It is recommended to work with stone trees from the last week of March to mid-April, with pome trees from early May to mid-June. Of course, weather conditions should be considered.