A washing machine is a useful thing in the household. However, over time, the device fails. In the washing machine there is an element that should not just lie in the garage. this is the motor. They make an excellent circular saw out of it.
Which motor to choose?
The first criterion for choosing a motor for a circular saw is power.
It is recommended to choose among engines equipped with a V-belt.
This will simplify the process of transferring speed to the saw blade.
To start a 350 mm drive, 1 kW of energy is required. If you use a 170 mm drive, you need approximately 500 watts. Therefore, to build circulars, they use the engine of an old washing machine.
In a circular it is important to be able to control the number of revolutions of the motor, otherwise the saw will simply break the material. In washing machines, the tachometer, which controls the control module, is responsible for controlling the speed. However, the device does not connect to the circular, so you will have to use a voltage regulator.
With the help of the engine of the washing machine, you can not just collect a circular for “beauty. Such a device will be useful during installation, sawing or construction work. For example, using a circular, you can easily dissolve a block of size 1010. Is this not an indicator?
How to connect a motor?
Connecting the motor is the main stage in the construction of the circular saw.
If you cannot connect the motor from the washing machine correctly, then the device simply will not work.
The difficulty is not in connecting the engine, but in ensuring stable speed control.
As already mentioned above, without this, the saw will simply tear the material. To ensure adjustment, you can use the voltage regulator instead of the tachometer, which is equipped with the motors of the washing machines.
When connecting, some masters get confused, because the collector motors that are put on the automatic machine have several outputs at once. Therefore, it is not clear how to make a connection.
Connection is as follows:
- First, you need to scroll the motor several times in order to find the excitation coil or shoes. From them must go 2 or more wires.
- With an ohmmeter set to minimum resistance, we call each output in turn. Here you need to find the two with the highest resistance from all available outputs. This is if there are more than two wires.
- After this, it is required to find the engine manifold and brushes, from which two wires should also go.
- After that, you need to find the outputs of the tachometer. Often these wires can be found right on the case. If they are not there, then they are hidden in the case, then you will have to disassemble the engine a little.
- Now you need to take one wire from the collector and connect the wire from the coil to it.
- The other collector wire needs to be connected to a 220 V network.
Video: How to Make a Circular Out of a Washing Motor
If necessary, you can change the direction of rotation by simply rearranging the wires.
We make a test run, after noting the wires of the coil and tacho sensor.
If the engine starts without problems, then everything is done correctly. Separately, you can consider the process of connecting the engine using the speed controller:
- One of the wires of the coil is connected to one of the wires of the armature.
- Another connect to the network.
- The second wire of the anchor is connected to the dimmer.
- Connect the other dimmer output to the network.
- We are trying to start the engine.
Important! Be sure to adhere to safety precautions for a trial run. In no case do not try to touch the rotating elements of the device with your hands.
After the engine is connected, you can proceed to create a circular. The next step is the assembly of the movable elements, since it is they that have the basis of the load, namely:
- Motor shaft.
- Saw shaft.
- Drive belt
- Motor pulley from the washer.
- Circular saw blade.
The design itself is simple, however there are a lot of points that are important to consider, for example:
- It is recommended to grind a small pulley by making 4 transverse grooves, this is necessary so that the belt clings and does not slip.
- It is not necessary to use the drive belt from the washer; you can take any suitable main thing so that it has transverse serrations in it.
- The saw mounting shaft should be as reliable as possible, which also applies to the nut and washer. Otherwise, the saw may become deformed, or even pop out and damage a working person.
Bed and frame
After assembling the movable elements, it remains only to make a reliable frame and bed. Given that this is a regular home-made circular saw, almost any improvised material can be used as a bed. For example, a sheet of flat slate. All that is required is to cut it to the required size, and cut a hole for the saw blade in it.
Slate will be enough, however, if you want to make a high-quality and reliable saw, then take a metal sheet with a thickness of at least 3 mm. And for the frame you need a metal corner of 30 mm.
To weld a circular frame, you must:
- Weld from the corners of two metal squares (or rectangles, depending on the expected dimensions of the saw) of the same size.
- Next, connect with four corners of the same length.
- In the upper part, two more corners are welded across the main square. It will be a support for the bed.
- From the bottom, exactly the same two supports are welded only transversely with respect to the upper ones. This will be the support on which the motor is located.
- Now it remains to weld the legs from below, assemble and connect all the elements, and the saw is ready.
Important: If there is no welding, then you can fasten the elements with bolts, however, such a frame will be less reliable, since the bolts are unscrewed during operation.
How does the device work?
The circular saw works as follows:
- The motor starts and drives a shaft with a pulley.
- As a result of rotation, the drive belt transfers revolutions to the saw blade pulley.
- After that, the saw rotates, due to which it cuts the material
A homemade circular saw is a useful tool in the household. And due to the fact that improvised materials were used, the cost price is minimal.