A chainsaw is a simple device that, with proper care, can last a long time. At the same time, the saw is a tool subject to various loads and, therefore, breakdowns still occur. You will learn about what caused the specific malfunction and how to fix it from this article.
Essential skills and repair tools
Most of the malfunctions of chain gasoline saws can be eliminated with your own hands. True, this requires an understanding of the device of the chainsaw and how the nodes function among themselves. As for the tool, it is most often necessary:
- screwdrivers (slotted and power);
- combination wrench included in the kit or conventional wrenches with heads of various sizes.
Repair it yourself or give it to a service center
It should be understood that not every problem can be solved independently. Not every owner of a chainsaw has a compressometer or a special device at home that allows you to create a vacuum and the right pressure, for example, to check the crankcase for leaks. In this case, you just can’t do without turning to specialized specialists.
If you are sure that you can assemble the chainsaw after disassembly, then a screwdriver is in your hands. To establish the true cause of the malfunction, it is necessary to analyze the condition and behavior of the saw.
In most cases, the engine encounters the following problems:
- the engine stopped starting;
- the engine starts, but stalls after a while;
- the engine is not able to develop the necessary power;
- the engine is extremely unstable.
How to check crankshaft oil seals
The presence of leakage of oil seals can be checked only by reaching the crankshaft, and carefully examining it for leaks. On how to do this correctly, you can find on the video:
How to check compression on a chainsaw
At a compression level below 8 atmospheres, the engine will not have enough power, which means that the chainsaw will not be able to fully function.
To measure compression, you must:
- Remove the protective cover and unscrew the spark plug.
- Insert the tip of the compressor into the hole where the candle should be.
- Using the starter cord, rotate the piston and remember the maximum reading of the measuring device.
How to put the piston on a chainsaw
Work on replacing the piston for most models of modern chainsaws is carried out according to the following algorithm:
- The top and side covers are removed.
- The candle is twisted.
- They are removed from the shock absorbers of the stopper and the handle is disconnected from the housing.
- The leading asterisk and starter acts in film.
- A piston stop is installed in the spark plug hole and the nut is fixed to fix the flywheel and the clutch.
- The flywheel, clutch, worm gear of the oil pump located immediately behind the clutch mechanism are removed.
- The screws securing the carburetor and air filter are untwisted, after which these components are removed together with the engine control lever.
- The ignition coil is removed, as well as the muffler.
- The saw is turned upside down and, having unscrewed the screws that secure it to the body, the engine is disconnected.
- The pan unwinds and the piston is removed.
- Since the piston is removed only together with the crankshaft, it is necessary to remove the snap rings to detach it.
- The old piston changes to a new one, but as carefully as possible. This is caused by the high fragility of the compression rings.
- The sump is put in place, and instead of the gasket, a sealant is used.
All subsequent actions are carried out according to the reverse of the disassembly algorithm.
Failures of the fuel system also quite often become the main reason that does not allow the chainsaw to work as efficiently as possible. First of all, it is necessary to check the quality of the fuel mixture.
Some owners prefer to use not the recommended brand of gasoline, but alcohol-containing solutions or add more oil than necessary.
Flowing gasoline from a chainsaw
If gasoline droplets periodically appear on the chainsaw body, the fuel tank must be checked for leaks. Over time, it may dry out. Or, the gasket is “numb” and it can no longer fulfill its direct function.
If there are full-fledged gasoline streams, then it is likely that you will have to change the bursting hose connecting the carburetor and the fuel tank.
Gasoline does not enter the chainsaw cylinder
There are several reasons why the fuel mixture ceased to enter the cylinder:
- Air filter clogged.
- The carb settings of the carburetor flew.
- The carburetor membrane is no longer integral.
- The channels through which gas is transported are clogged.
Chainsaw does not hold idle
In this case, you should start to look for a malfunction with the filter elements. For the most part, it is precisely because of the reduced throughput of the air and gas filters that the idle speed begins to “float”.
If everything is in order with the filters, then it is necessary to check the components of the gas pipeline system, and also make sure that there are no spontaneous changes in the carburetor settings.
A “rich” or “poor” fuel mixture will sooner or later cause a breakdown. Perhaps even expensive. To prevent this from happening, it will be useful to regularly check the filter for abrasions, as well as for a breakthrough of the filter cloth itself.
How to check the fuel filter and replace
To check the current state of the fuel filter, the following steps must be taken:
- Remove the fuel hose from the carburetor fitting and direct it into the working container.
- Click on the so-called “swap” several times.
If gasoline arrives unevenly and jerkily, then it’s time to put a new filter element. This is done quite simply:
- The fuel tank cap is unscrewed.
- Using tweezers or any other device, the filter itself is removed.
- Having disconnected the old filter, it is necessary to put a new one and lower it into the fuel tank.
How to clean the air filter
If enough air is not received, the fuel mixture becomes too enriched, which leads to a disruption in the normal operation of the engine. Regular purging of the air filter, and in especially neglected cases, washing in soapy water will prevent such problems.
Please note that rinsing in acetone, gasoline or other aggressive solutions is not allowed. This can lead to a violation of the integrity of the filter element.
Uncertain Category Failure
In some cases, owners of chainsaws have to solve more complex problems to fully restore the functionality of their cutting tool.
Chainsaw does not develop full power
In addition to the problems discussed above with a lack of gas or air entering the cylinder, the reason for the low power may be a clogged muffler.
If you do not periodically clean the muffler clogged with combustion products, then the problem of poor engine power may not be the only one.
Carburetor depressurization and nozzle blockage
Over time, the screws securing the carburetor cover may loosen or the gaskets become unusable. A clogged filter or an unqualified replacement may result in clogged nozzles. All this also negatively affects the operation of the chainsaw and shortens the life of the tool.
To prevent this, it is enough to periodically inspect the saw and, if necessary, evenly tighten the screws.
Chainsaw does not hold idle
It often happens when, after prolonged transportation and constant use, the chainsaw refuses to idle smoothly. This problem is usually resolved by adjusting the carburetor.
You can learn how to properly debug a carburetor from this video:
If the carburetor is set up like a clock, then you need to check:
- Fuel system. To start more logically with the fuel pump.
- Muffler. It is very likely that due to the abundance of soot accumulated, the engine cannot function normally.
Chainsaw loses power under load
If the saw power is lost somewhere during operation, then the problem should be sought in the following places:
- In the silencer. He, as you already understood, has the property of clogging.
- In a clogged fuel filter.
- In a poorly functioning fuel pump.
Failure of other systems
In some cases, users of chainsaws note other problems that do not significantly affect the operation of the tool.
Why is a chainsaw smoking
Most often, excess smoke appears when the oil is excessively added to the fuel mixture, which does not have time to completely burn out. You should also check if the carburetor settings have gone wrong.
Recoil when starting a chainsaw
For the most part, recoil at the time of starting signals the clamp of the decompressor. If the tool is not equipped with a decompressor, then most likely the ignition system has lost.
Failures of the Chinese chainsaw: a review of the popular and ways to solve them
The most popular faults in Chinese chainsaws include:
- Poor lubrication system. Clogged oil channels are cleaned, and if the oil pump fails, a replacement is necessary.
- The starter cable breaks.
- Damage to the plastic axis of the starter. To replace it, an ordinary metal bolt is suitable.
In case of the slightest suspicion of improper operation of the chainsaw, it is worthwhile to immediately make a complete diagnosis of the tool. Only with proper operation and timely maintenance can you count on the long term use of the chainsaw.
Adjustment carburetor lawn mowers perform at home
lawn mowers, as well as the entire gasoline tool for the garden, are not difficult to maintain. It is possible and necessary to repair, configure without the help of others. For example, adjustment carburetor lawn mowers in artisanal conditions. a matter of 5 minutes.
Carburetor from lawn mowers is a node in the power system. In a personal computer, like all carburetors, there is a process of mixing air and fuel (gasoline) for the upcoming supply to the engine cylinders.
In this process, the main thing is the correct proportion of fuel and air, for which purpose they regulate carburetor.
The main problems and malfunctions of the carburetor.
Strainer There are only two obstacles with this element:
To feel that to find out the cause of the breakdown, the fuel filter cover is unscrewed to remove the strainer. If he just accumulated dirt, then washing with gasoline or blowing will help.
Video: How To Properly Place A Piston On A Huter Trimmer
With visible damage to the strainer, it is imperative to install a new one. Damage also occurs on the fuel supply pipe (when performing repairs, check this element).
The carburetor starting device almost always does not work due to blockages. Should be used for washing with acetone or the same petrol.
Blowing off carburetor parts with a blockage of compressed air is an acceptable and comfortable repair practice.
The throttle body, the places of the bundles of carburetor parts, the intake or exhaust pipe. what remains to do to our client the listed parts are subject to depressurization. There is probably an option to check by a simple method. smear the problem area with soap suds.
The device of the carburetor lawn mowers
Base carburetor lawn mowers. duralumin housing. A diffuser (a hole with internal contours) is placed here. Air is blown through this hole. The oxygen (air) flow rate depends on the cross-section (passage opening) of the diffuser.
The diffuser is equipped with fuel channels. Fuel is drawn in there using an air stream.
Outside the carburetor is installed:
- fuel pump;
- jet system;
- system for adjusting the consistency of fuel with air;
The principle of the carburetor lawn mowers
The throttle valve determines the amount of air to supply, and for this reason, the power of the motor directly depends.
Trimmer does not start; CARBON REPAIR.
Trimmer not start up what to do? We conduct an initial inspection and identify obvious malfunctions. Change the gasket.
Fuel is sucked into the carburetor system by a pump (its membrane). Then it passes through the fitting in the carburetor. Further, the fluid moves through the inlet and outlet valves of the pump. Filtered by mesh. The needle valve moves into the membrane chamber.
Phased operation of the device:
- Air supply to the tube with an air baffle (damper). The partition controls the intensity of the air flow.
- The fuel supply system is certainly narrowed by the mixer in order to increase the flow rate.
- Petrol through the float chamber and nozzle tube with narrowing. A camera with a float adjusts the temporary volume of gasoline. In the float chamber, the pressure level is neutral, in the tube with narrowing is already small. Due to the pressure drop, fuel leaks through the nozzle.
- The acceleration of the air flow contributes to the transfer of fuel (gasoline) and its atomization. The result is an air-fuel mixture of the desired proportion or density.
- The air-fuel mixture seeps into the engine cylinder through the fuel pipe.
The level of air density in the system depends on the area of the open air damper. The wider the flap is open, the simpler the fuel consumption and power.
Simply put, adjusting the carburetor on the lawn mower is creating a good fuel consistency due to the correct air supply.
How to adjust carburetor lawn mowing
Before adjusting, you must carefully clean the filters according to the maintenance in the annotation.
The upcoming carburetor adjustment of the lawn mowers on their own is done by adjusting screws. There are three of them:
Right (L). adjustment of fuel consistency for low revs.
It is necessary to find the highest idle speed. For this purpose, you slowly unscrew the screw (L) to the right and left.
To adjust, turn the screw a quarter turn without fail counterclockwise.
Bottom (T). is responsible for adjusting the engine at idle.
- clockwise. increase;
- counterclockwise. decrease.
For the correct adjustment of specific idling, typically:
- steady work of the cool motor;
- not overestimated speed of a hot engine;
- for the trimmer head a large reserve of revolutions;
- stable operation of the motor when changing position (sharp rise or lowering of the knife).
Left (N). adjustment of consistency at high speeds. (The screw is configured last).
The general adjustment of the highest revolutions, engine power, temperature and gas mileage depends on the left screw (H).
Customization carburetor lawn mowers with the last screw are made as follows:
- Open the throttle to full, in this case, give out full throttle. Turn the screw clockwise until the rpm falls (in this case, they are oriented by ear).
- Turn the screw most slowly counterclockwise until the motor runs unevenly.
- Then turn back completely a little, just hearing a measured, steady work.
- For a more pleasant implementation of abilities, it is more convenient to discern the work of an experienced user:
It is curious that, based on the beliefs of the creator of the video, the setting (its correctness) is determined by the color of the candle, and not just by the speed and stability of the motor.
Why doesn’t gasoline enter the carburetor of the mower?
The correct carburetor setting in artisanal conditions in our example is the combustion of the fuel consistency without a trace, the color of the candle is due to light brown.
Read also from the section
How to Properly Mow Potato Tops with a Trimmer
Removing tops from potatoes Growing vegetables in their own personal plot, gardeners follow the rules of agricultural technology. In order to get the largest harvest, you need to properly care for the plants, just right to water, fertilize and fight weeds and harmful insects. When practicing potatoes, you need to know why they cut potato tops and whether to do this. Also evaluate the timing of harvesting stems that affect [.]
What Is Valve Clearance On Elmos Lawn Mowers
The details of the gas distribution mechanism form a mating chain, which begins with a camshaft and ends with valves that open and close the cylinder inlet and outlet with its use at strictly allotted moments of the motor operating cycles. It is impossible to imagine # in cases where these same teeth are missing, there are no gaps between all the parts of the timing drive and the valve group. only [.]
How to Swap a Huter Lawn Line
Since we saw the choice of the trimmer in the previous article, now we will talk about how to properly trim the trimmer with a fishing line, and what is the best option to choose a working criterion from the parameters. If you purchased a trimmer and started to use it intensively, at some point the question will arise about replacing the fishing line, since this is the most wearing element in the tool, then [.]
Each modern chainsaw, regardless of its purpose and design features, is equipped with a fuel system. It is based on a carburetor, the main function of which is to mix the fuel mixture with pre-cleaned air. Any malfunction of the carburetor leads to a loss of power and other problems with a gasoline powered garden tool. You can solve them yourself. for this you need to study the design of the fuel unit, the features of its adjustment and methods of self-repair.
Chainsaw carburetor device
The carburetor of any modern chainsaw is an integral part of the engine, which continuously regulates the amount of air required for constant mixing with fuel, and feeds the finished mixture into the engine cylinder.
In most modern chainsaws, built-in carburetors initially have a similar device and almost the same principle of operation. Certain differences are only in the fuel assemblies of Chinese models.
The main elements of the carburetors of all chainsaws include:
- the float chamber is a small compartment, the main task of which is to maintain the optimal amount of refueling fuel;
- atomizer. an important mechanism that is initially responsible for injecting fuel into the intake air stream;
- diffuser. located next to the regular inlet through which air enters the engine compartment of the chainsaw. The main function of the diffuser is to forcefully accelerate the absorption of air masses;
- tube. required to supply air in small volumes. in portions, the sizes of which depend on the needs of the fuel system.
The principle of operation of the carburetor chainsaw is also quite simple. When the chainsaw is started, the throttle of the engine is triggered, which in the open state passes air through the factory rubber tube. With the gradual opening of the standard shutter and the tube connected to it, a float is activated, located in the chamber with refueling fuel. Continuously passing through a standard diffuser, the air is intensively mixed with fuel. After that, the used finished air-fuel mixture is sprayed through the factory inlet into the working cylinder of a standard engine.
During spraying of fuel, the pressure inside the chainsaw of the chainsaw is almost identical to atmospheric. At the same time, the pressure in the factory tube with air is rarefied. Due to the difference in these indicators, air is continuously absorbed by the tube. With an increase in engine speed, he needs more fuel. Accordingly, the tube should suck in more air. Thus, it is the carburetor that largely determines the ability of the engine to intensively gain the speed required for sawing large wood.
How to properly adjust the carburetor on a chainsaw?
In order to independently adjust the carburetor of the chainsaw to bring the desired result, you need to carry out preparatory work. First of all, the operator must make sure that the engine is working. To do this, you must remove the top cover of the protective plastic housing and carefully inspect the engine’s CPG for burrs, cracks and other defects. If they are formed, then the surface of the node will need to be sanded. It is important not to damage the protective chrome or nickel coating on the cylinder.
Next, you need to inspect the spark plug. If a thick layer of dried carbon deposits forms on it, the part will need to be unscrewed and thoroughly cleaned. To do this, you need to heat the candle and gently scrape off the remains of dried oil from its tip.
In the end, you will need to inspect the details of the entire fuel system of the chainsaw. Blockage in the tubes, accumulated debris in the fuel and air filters, unstable operation of the diffuser. all this leads to the loss of the necessary speed by the engine. As a result, the operator does not receive accurate information about the operation of the motor and cannot establish the correct settings. To prevent this, rinse the parts of the carburetor, filter and tube. After they are completely dry, they can be installed in their original place.
Chainsaw Carb Adjustment do it yourself
For self-tuning of a standard carburetor, the owner of a chainsaw will need a Phillips or flat screwdriver, as well as a manual tachometer.
To adjust the carburetor of the chainsaw, spring-loaded adjusting screws are provided in the base unit of its carburetor.
Depending on the brand manufacturer of the chain saw, the marking of its adjusting screws may vary. Nevertheless, in order to initially correctly configure the carburetor on a chainsaw, you can always act on the same algorithm:
- First, the operator must find the exact angles of gradual rotation of the spring-loaded adjusting screws in the saw instruction manual. Immediately after that, on the used saw with the engine turned off, they must be turned according to the instructions in the manual. If this is not done, the operator risks breaking the tool motor;
- Further, the chainsaw used in the household will need to be fixedly mounted on a flat, stable surface. In this case, the tire and the factory chain should be initially directed away from the operator;
- Then you need to start the engine ICE saws and give him at least 10 minutes to warm up;
- After that, you need to find the correct position of the screw L. For this, the operator must slowly turn it in the direction and counterclockwise until the motor starts to work quietly and without failures;
- If, as a result of this, the chain starts to rotate, then it is necessary to find the position of the screw T at which the chain stops in place:
- Next, a tachometer will need to be connected to the engine cylinder. Then you need to start turning the screw H. As soon as the indicators on the tachometer match the instructions in the saw instructions, the screw can be released.
To check the operation of the carburetor and the chainsaw engine, you need to start the engine again and slowly press the gas lever. If the internal combustion engine is gradually gaining momentum, then the adjustment was performed correctly. If this does not happen, then you will need to turn the screw L 1/8 turn counter-clockwise and check the motor again.
How to wash a carburetor chainsaw?
You need to think about cleaning the fuel assembly of a gas tool in such cases:
- at difficult start of the engine;
- during unstable operation of the internal combustion engine for a short idle;
- in case of dips when you gently press the standard trigger of gas;
- with a significant increase in refueling costs.
Most often, liquids that are found in almost every garage are used to flush the built-in carburetor of the chainsaw:
- diesel fuel;
- pure gasoline;
Modern gardeners using powerful professional saws use more efficient and gentle means:
- Mannol Vergaser Reiniger is a commercial aerosol cleaner. It quickly and easily breaks down even the oldest formations of resins, carbon deposits, oily deposits and other types of pollution;
- Hi-Gear. This cleaner is distinguished by its high dissolution properties. He is able to remove old dried spots, an oily crust and the first signs of rust without harming the details of the fuel system;
- Jet 100 Ultra is a high-tech spray designed to quickly clean the chainsaw carburetor. It shows the high dissolution rate of the oldest oily stains.
Cleaning the carburetor on a chainsaw is performed in the following sequence:
- First, you need to clean the outside of the saw engine, as well as to dismantle and thoroughly rinse the housing of the factory air filter;
- Next, you can proceed to disassembling the gas tool. To do this, remove the filter housing, and also unscrew the fasteners holding the carburetor together with the engine;
- Then you will need to carefully disconnect the thrust and gas cables from the carburetor. The springs available in the design must be removed so as not to stretch them;
- After this, carefully remove the fuel hoses from the factory fittings of the fuel assembly;
- To clean the carburetor on a chainsaw, you need to remove it from the original mounting studs. It is important to maintain the integrity of the gasket installed between the engine cylinder and the fuel assembly;
- The next step is to clean the outer walls of the carburetor. To do this, they can be treated with a liquid cleaner or gasoline. At the same time, you need to try so that dust and debris do not get inside the engine assembly or cylinder;
- Next, you need to unscrew the screws that secure the carburetor diaphragm, remove its cover and rinse the internal cavity with an aerosol cleaner;
- After that, it is necessary to dismantle the fuel filter of preliminary fine cleaning, and also to disassemble that part of the unit to which the fuel is supplied. All internal carburetor parts must be thoroughly rinsed with an aerosol cleaner. If the first cleaning has failed, then rinse should be repeated.
After the final drying of all the internal parts of the standard carburetor, you need to assemble the fuel unit in the reverse sequence, and install it in place in the design of the household chainsaw.
Gasoline does not enter the chainsaw carburetor – repair methods
Most often, the standard cause of this common breakdown is the formation of a blockage in the fuel foam filter or tubes, which are responsible for the stable supply of fuel to the factory metal engine cylinder. Every third Chinese petrol tool suffers from these blockages regularly. This is due to the low quality of the built-in filters and tubes, which are equipped with inexpensive Chinese chainsaws.
Fault repair is reduced to removing and flushing contaminated parts.
To do this, you need:
- Remove the cover of the plastic saw body;
- Clean the space underneath and proceed with dismantling the hoses and filters. The tubes are attached to the outlet fittings using clamps. To disconnect the hoses without damaging them, loosen and remove the clamps. After this, the tubes will need to be blown with compressed air and rinsed with clean gasoline;
- To dismantle the filter, you must first remove it from the factory housing. After this, the element will need to be placed in a container with clean gasoline. After a day, the filter can be removed and give it time to dry;
- After washing, all parts must be carefully installed and secured in a regular place in the carburetor.
This cleaning scheme will help to thoroughly flush the most vulnerable parts of the fuel system without having to disassemble the entire carburetor.
Why a chainsaw shoots at a carburetor?
The main cause of this malfunction is the incorrectly set distance between the ignition elements of the gas tool. Because of this, the fuel that falls into the internal cylinder of the internal combustion engine does not have time to completely burn in it. The result is a sound similar to an explosion. To effectively solve the problem, you need to set the ignition of the gas tool, following the instructions in the user manual.
Often such malfunctions of the carburetor of a chainsaw result from getting into the cylinder a depleted or too enriched with oxygen fuel mixture. To eliminate the breakdown, you need to adjust the operation of the metal throttle and standard jets of the fuel assembly.