Many, having developed a factory line on a newly acquired trimmer, try to rewind a new one, but they cannot, because they do not know how to wind the line onto the reel spool (bobbin). It seems that there is an instruction, but it still doesn’t work out. Let’s try to deal with this issue in this article.
So, to rewind the fishing line, you need, for starters, to remove the reel from the trimmer. it will be more convenient. The removal method will depend on the type of trimmer.
Remove the coil from the trimmer
On small electric trimmers with the bottom position of the engine (when it is when working near the ground), the coil usually has two keys on its sides. We click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound. When parsing, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and petrol trimmers with a curved bar (it is still not possible to put a knife on such trimmers), you need to grab the coil body with one hand, and with the second hand you need to start turning the lamb on it. It is he who fastens the coil to the trimmer bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, being careful not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and petrol trimmers with a straight rod and a gearbox at its end (in addition to fishing line, you can also install a knife on such trimmers) we look for a hole under the coil, insert a screwdriver into it, for example, rotate the coil quietly until the screwdriver penetrates even deeper, and the coil will lock. Now twist the entire coil clockwise (since the thread is left) and remove it from the trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled using latches or twisted by a lamb. If the coil is on latches, then we press on the sides on the base of the latches so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just twist the lamb. There may also be a third type of connection of two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the upper one with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you must also make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
than 200 types of trimmers in one place at the lowest prices. Click and see
Now, having removed and disassembled the coil, we proceed, in fact, to winding.
If your coil is designed to work with only one antennae, then everything is simple. You need to rewind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the reel), find the hole fixing the line on the inside of the reel, insert one end of the line there and start reeling the line in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmer. On the inside of the reel, they usually indicate an arrow, in which direction to wind the line. After winding up the fishing line, we leave a small piece of it unwound to expose it. We fix this piece in a special groove located on the inside of the reel and designed so that the fishing line does not unwind at the time of collection of the reel. If there is no such groove, then you will have to hold the fishing line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further collection of the reel. Next, we take the outer part of the reel and thread the outer piece of fishing line into the existing hole, collect and put the reel back on the trimmer.
If the coil is designed to work with two antennae, then do the following. On the inside of the reel, we see how many grooves are available for winding fishing line. There may be one or two. If there is one groove, then both antennae are wound along this same groove. If there are two grooves, then each antennae is wound on its own groove. The reel with one groove should have a through hole into which the line is threaded. Unwind 2-4 m of fishing line, thread it through this hole so that on each side of the fishing line sticks out equally. And at the same time we wind both antennae of the fishing line in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil on the trimmer and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the coil. We leave a little fishing line unwound, we fix the ends in special grooves, and if they are not there, hold them with our fingers. Pass both ends into the holes on the outer coil body. We assemble the coil and attach it to the trimmer.
If there are two grooves, we fold the piece of fishing line 2-4 m long in half, insert the loop obtained at the bend point into the groove between the two grooves, and simultaneously wind both ends of the fishing line in each groove. Further actions are similar to the previous option.
There are still reels in which the line is threaded through a through hole on the inside. After that, the ends of the fishing line, without winding, are threaded completely through the holes on the outer casing of the reel, the reel is assembled and the button, which is usually pressed, is rotated so that the line can be released during operation as it wears out. Turn the button. the line itself is wound inside. At the same time, turning it in the “wrong” direction will not work, since it can only spin in one direction. If you get used to it, then you can wind the line onto such a reel without even taking it apart. you just need to combine the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer case of the reel, and then thread the line into them.
That’s all for the matter. Good winding!
Owners of private homes know how necessary this type of tool is, as a trimmer. It can be gasoline and electric, but they differ in the design of power units. To cut grass in areas where there are stones, trees and other obstructing objects, a fishing line is used as a cutting device. This consumable wears out during application, so how to wind the trimmer coil, we will consider in detail in the material.
What you need to know about fishing line for trimmer
A fishing line is a consumable that consists of nylon and serves as a cutting device. By means of this equipment, grass mowing occurs, which is ensured by rotating the tool head with high frequency. This material has a different thickness, which depends on its use on the corresponding tools, low-power electric (from 1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 W (2-2.4 mm) and gas trimmers with lawn mowers (from 2.4 to 3 , 2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the correspondingly thicker the cutting tool should be. This affects not only the quality of the grass mowing, but also the life of the material. If you are wondering how to wind the trimmer coil, then it’s time to change the reload tool. With the onset of spring, this issue becomes more and more popular, so it’s time to understand the step-by-step instructions for replacing the fishing line in the trimmer coil.
How to remove the reel from the trimmer and remove the fishing line
Initially, before you put fishing line in the trimmer coil, you need to remove it from there. A coil or pickup is a device that is located inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. The heads come in different types (depending on the manufacturers), however, the principle of replacing fishing line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
The instruction on how to unwind the manual head on the trimmer has the following form:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from contamination. Use two fingers of one hand to hold the cover latches (on the mowing head), which are located symmetrically to each other. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, the fishing reel should be removed from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it is dismantled with one hand
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver with the appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew it is necessary to hold the base of the drum with one hand, and the second to perform unscrewing with a screwdriver counterclockwise
- After that, you can proceed to dismantle. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all its strength, but slightly swaying to the sides, slowly disengage from the metal shaft on which the drum is mounted
- When reinstalling, put the head into the slots of the tetrahedral shape
Video: How to Put a Fishing Line On a Trimmer Reel Video
This process is not difficult, and as you know, it is not necessary to dismantle the entire head if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, consider the following nuances:
- Periodically removing the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you never unscrew the screw, then if necessary, it will be difficult and even sometimes impossible
- If the screw has a four-sided boring of the head, then a screwdriver or bits of the appropriate size should be selected for twisting to prevent the faces from licking on the head
- When assembling the installation, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, for example, solid oil or machine oil
- If the faces on the screw are licked, then you can use special clamping tongs to unscrew it
- There are drums that do not require pre-disassembly. To dismantle them, grasp it and turn it clockwise in the opposite direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to clarify the process of replacing the trimmer fishing line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the trimmer coil and disassemble it.
How does a head with a fishing line on a lawn mower why do you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a clamping spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble a trimmer head without a spring, i.e. on a manual type head. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above described instructions.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic trimmer coil is as follows:
- Inside the head is a coil that is seated on the slots, preventing its free movement
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the slots in the cover structure
- A line is wound around the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Usually this length is from 1 to 4 meters
- During the execution of the work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the fishing line, the protruding part of the drum is clamped, whereby it disengages from the slots. In this case, the fishing line is wound off the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, you should release the pressing, and continue to work on the cutting of grass
The advantage of a fishing line tool is that this consumable material does not require sharpening compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or a tree comes in the way, the line simply comes off, without adversely affecting the gearbox and the engine of the tool, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and arrangement of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of refueling fishing line into the trimmer coil. Indeed, it is this moment that causes the majority of owners of special tools difficulties.
Instructions with a step-by-step description of how to wind the trimmer coil and lawn mowers
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of a suitable fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head, and look at the side wall of the reel. This information is usually presented on a tip that will not allow you to make a mistake with the use of appropriate equipment.
If the information on the reel about what diameter the fishing line can be refueled, then this information can be clarified in the instructions. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the snap, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not all of them are applicable. We will consider both methods in detail, and depending on which models of lawn mowers and trimmers you use, you decide on your own which option is suitable.
Method 1. how to wind the fishing line correctly or put it on a reel and choose the required length
To implement this method, you will need to pre-prepare a fishing line of the required length (usually up to 4 meters). It all depends on the thickness of the equipment used, as well as the design of the coil. There is an easy way to find out the required amount of fishing line, the refueling of which will be needed to charge the coil. To do this, the equipment should be wound inside the coil until it is equal to the side protrusions. Equipment should not go beyond these extreme protrusions.
The thicker the equipment used, the less its length will be needed and vice versa, the thinner, the longer the segment will be needed.
The instruction on how to properly rig the equipment into the tip of the trimmer or lawn mowers is as follows:
- To begin with, the piece of fishing line that was prepared to be installed in the reel must be folded in half. In this case, one edge should protrude 10-15 cm more than the second
- After that, the second end is taken from the other side, and doubled up. Move to it so that the measured protrusion of 15 cm is preserved
- There is a slot in the inner baffle of the coil into which the resulting loop should be inserted. The slot in the wall is shown in the photo below.
- Next, we find out the direction of winding the fishing line. If you wind the equipment in the wrong direction, then it will not function correctly, and you will need to redo the work. To insert the fishing line and wind it in the right direction, you should inspect the surface of the reel. It should indicate the direction of winding (in 99% of cases, this direction is indicated). How the direction indicator on the coil looks, shown in the photo below
- This arrow pointer can also be labeled, as in the example above, “WIND LINE”, which means the direction of winding. If the pointer is not on the coil, then look at the head. On the head there is a direction of its rotation, and to properly wind the line, you should wind it on the drum in the opposite direction to the indication of the arrow pointer. So, if the arrow is on tip, then you need to wind in the specified direction, and if it is not there, then you should wind against the direction of the arrow on the surface of the head
- Having decided on the direction of rotation, you should proceed to winding. Each end should lead in its groove. If there is no separator, then fit the equipment in the appropriate distribution order
- When almost all the fishing line is wound on a reel, you will need to do the following. place a short part in the hole of the tip side wall, the protrusion of which should be up to 10-15 cm, and then similarly do the procedure with the other end, placing it in the hole on the parallel side
- We insert the reel into the head, previously skipping the ends of the fishing line into the holes of the drum
- We put the drum in place and pulling the ends of the fishing line, we disengage them from the temporary clamps in the wall of the reel. After that, you can put on the cover until the latch
- On this, the process of how to replace the fishing line on the trimmer is completed, and if necessary, you can cut only the ends (if their length does not suit), and install the drum assembled on the instrument
With how to put the drum in place, no difficulties arise. There is a second way, how to charge the mowing equipment in the lawn mower. What is the difference, and how is the second method of refueling fishing line on the lawn mowing coil carried out, we will find out in detail.
Method 2. how to properly put fishing line on a lawn mowing coil with a photo description and video
The second method differs from the first in that not a single piece of equipment is charged into the coil, but segments of two parts. This method is used by manufacturers, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two pieces of fishing line into the tip of the lawn mowing is the same with the first method, and to make sure of this, below is a detailed instruction:
- There are two equal lengths of material that can be used.
- One piece is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with the help of which the fishing line will be fixed
- Inside the coil there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not, then the second option will not work. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is in its own half.
- Brace fishing line should catch on the bracket, and make it winding in the direction of the arrow
- The tooling is wound up until a segment of 10-15 cm remains, which is fixed in the corresponding hole on the side of the tip
- Similarly, the manipulation of the second end of the fishing line
- The tabs start up in the holes of the head, and then, removing the snap-in from the temporary fasteners in the coil, a cover with latches is installed
The above instructions on how to install a fishing line in a lawn mower will help not only correctly, but also quickly perform the replacement procedure. Assembly of the trimmer coil, as mentioned above, can be performed without removing the head, but in this case you will need to conveniently fix the tool. Video instruction is presented below.
Tips and tricks on how to wind a fishing line and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and tricks that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for experienced mowers. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and improper functioning of the mechanism. These recommendations read as follows:
- Install the cover until it clicks. over, this is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of clips. If one latch does not snap in, then when you start the tool, the drum may pop out and injure a person
- Do not wrap the fishing line with a strong pulling it, as well as in an amount greater than you can insert it into place. It’s better not to wring the snap than it will be more, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of the inability to unwind it if necessary
- If you own a tool not with two leads of the fishing line, but with one (usually these are low-power units), then the winding process is carried out in the same sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of a middle rim between the extreme bases of the coil
- After replacing the material, it is necessary to first check the operability of the tool, and only then proceed to mowing the grass. If you do not perform a preliminary check, then the forest can unwind and injure a person
The result of the work done is the following. after the replacement of the new material, the usual one is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the fishing line. Conventional nylon materials serve less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to mow thick-stemmed grass with fishing line, as there are special metal discs or knives for this.