- How is the starter or trimmer starter arranged?
- Worst case breakdown
- How to replace or replace the starter spring?
- How tight is the spring charging?
- Lawn mowing starter assembly
- How to assemble a new lawn mower starter?
- How to change the starter cord?
Manual starter for lawn mowing or gas trimmer. a mechanical unit that includes a pulley mounted on a ratchet. A rope is wound on the pulley in the initial position. At start, it is pulled out. The pulley is spring-loaded. if you let go of the end of the rope, it will wind back. A flat ribbon rolled into a ring is used as a spring. It resembles a spring in a large mechanical watch that starts once a day. The starter itself is located more often on the back than closer to the front end of the mower or trimmer. In order to correctly perform all manipulations with the starter for lawn mowing, you need to know the features of the device and installation.
How is the starter or trimmer starter arranged?
Starter. the mechanism as a whole is single and universal for lawn mowers, trimmers, gasoline and diesel generator sets. It’s not a problem to equip them even with a car, motorcycle or scooter if your vehicle has free space for installation. Not for nothing that many Soviet cars and trucks were equipped with starter tools, which vaguely resemble a double-bent mount.
The starter assembly has the following parts:
- hook spring;
- cord wound around a reel;
- return spring;
- drive ratchet and main spring;
- ratchet mechanism housing;
- locking bolt.
Worst case breakdown
There are times when the starter is still operational, but, for example, a worn cord may break. The ratchet has not yet had time to work when the engine starts, and the remainder of the cord is immediately wound on a reel, the return spring loses its hooks, the grooves in the starter housing break. The result is the replacement of both the springs and the housing.
How to replace or replace the starter spring?
If everything was okay with the rope on the starter, suspicion falls on the coil itself. It is driven by a tape spring rolled up into a roll. To change the spring, certain steps should be taken.
- Remove the starter from the lawn mowers.
- Remove the starter coil.
- Unscrew the main bolt holding the pulley on the housing.
- Pull out the gripping antennae and spring, the band spring is almost completely straightened or folded with larger diameter rings.
- Hold it in advance.
- Check if the spring is intact (there may be rusty stains, breaks, etc.). If the hooks at its ends are broken, it will not be possible to bend new ones. high-carbon steel breaks when trying to bend it. Weakened hooks are suitable for easy bending.
- Make sure that the auxiliary spring with washers is in place. These parts protect the coil frame from being pierced by the ends of the main spring. If the washers and the spring break, but there are no new ones, do not tighten the coil bolt tightly, but watch for it. it may loosen and get lost.
- If the main (flat) spring is damaged, insert the same new one. Put the hooking hook at the end of the spring in its place and bend it, inserting coil by coil into the space where it should be.
Video: How to Repair a Starter on a Trimmer Bright
Spring rewinding takes one minute. Dexterity in this action is fast.
To replace or replace the starter spring, see the next video.
How tight is the spring charging?
It is possible to give the spring the necessary potential force necessary for a clear and quick winding of the cord by determining the length of the cord in turns. To prevent the handle of the cord from hanging down, add another 1-2 to the number of turns. So, if the cord has a length of 5 turns of the coil, then when charging the spring, scroll the coil 6-7 full turns.
Lawn mowing starter assembly
When servicing and repairing the starter, it is important to assemble it correctly. as if the device was being assembled by the manufacturer. Any of the parts that are incorrectly installed will not allow you to fully use the trimmer or lawn mowing.
- Having screwed up the spring, turn the coil over and set it so that the second hook of the spring gets back into place. To control the correct installation of the spring on the coil itself, there are technological windows.
- Put the starter pulley and make sure that one of the spring hooks fits into the groove located on the starter cover.
- Insert the spring and washers on the sides so that the spring does not erase the plastic compartment in which it is located. If the spring is broken, but the other one is not, an additional washer is placed in its place.
- Insert the cup with the antennae into the recesses of the coil.
- Put the coil in its place, tighten the bolt all the way, but without fanaticism.
If you don’t protect the compartment where it moves when the starter cord is unwound and unwound with washers, the coil often seizes when you try to start a gas trimmer or lawn mower. Loosening the coil bolt will cause it to lose.
For information on how to assemble the trimmer starter trimmer, see the video.
How to assemble a new lawn mower starter?
To build a starter do the following manipulations.
- Pass one end of the cord through the hole at the beginning of the coil and tie it in a knot. The assembly must not pass through the hole. Otherwise, you will disassemble the starter again.
- Wind the cord around the reel itself.
- Install the spring in the starter housing, hook one end of it in the groove and wind it. For easy winding, rotate the housing counterclockwise.
- Place the ratchet mechanism on the spring.
- Hook the return spring hook onto the ratchet itself, fasten it to the coil.
- Install the main spring and housing with the assembled ratchet, connect the starter parts together and tighten everything with the main bolt.
After completing the starter assembly, run the free end of the cord through the hole in the housing for the coil. Re-run the same end through the hole in the handle by which the cord is pulled. Tie a strong knot on the handle. Check the operation of the handbrake starter.
How to change the starter cord?
It happens that the inability to start the starter is not to blame for the spring, but for the cord itself. It can jam or even break. Dismantling the lawn mowing starter or trimmer is universal in its steps.
- Remove the starter unit from the trimmer or lawn mowers.
- Remove the main bolt holding the handbrake.
- Pull out the reel and reel the rest of the worn cord from it.
- Untie the knot on the cord handle and pull its end out of it.
- Untie the knot at the other end (at the beginning of the coil) and remove the old cord. Knots that have become tight are untied using pliers or pincers.
- Tie a knot at one end of the new cord, thread it through the hole at the beginning of the coil (closer to its axis).
- Screw several turns of a new cord onto the reel. If it is long, then cut the excess.
- Thread and charge the spring tensioner of the cord (if removed) and the spring-loaded elements in the correct sequence.
- Put the coil in place and thread the free end of the cord into the starter outlet and into the handle.
- Replace the starter unit.
Twist the starter by the cord, start the engine of the lawn mowers or trimmers. The larger and more powerful the engine, the more jerks of the cord will be required at startup, the norm. no more than 7 times. The result is a quick and smooth engine start, the unit is ready for operation.