In this article, we will talk about how to make the right choice for the optimal lawn mower for a summer cottage and garden, what to look for, and also offer our own rating of popular models.
How to choose a lawn mower
First, we recommend deciding on the key technical differences between the models. Usually consumers do not see much difference between the categories presented below, but this will inevitably lead to the wrong choice.
The main types
The following categories of equipment are presented on the Russian market:
Based on the foregoing, we can draw the following conclusion. the lawn mower is the best solution for processing areas that have a flat landscape and simple geometry.
Source of energy
Developers are trying to satisfy the needs of a huge target audience with their individual needs. To perform this task, I had to release a lot of models with different drive options. They are discussed below.
- Electric motor without battery. It is ecologically safe, it is not necessary to constantly purchase fuel and oil, it is characterized by low noise level. The disadvantages are the need to connect to the electrical network, you will have to use an extension cord, and the power remains very limited.
- Electric motor with battery. The advantages are identical to those described above, but have high mobility. If we are talking about robotic lawnmowers, a person will not have to participate in the process. The disadvantages are the same, but to the list mentioned earlier it will be necessary to add a long charge and a limited operating time of the equipment from the battery.
- Petrol engine. It has high performance, designed to operate in harsh conditions, works for a long period of time. Reliability has to be paid for by the constant purchase of fuel and oil, high noise and the need for timely maintenance.
- Without engine, with muscle drive. Despite the complete absence of noise, the minimum price and the absence of restrictions in terms of weather, mowing them with thick or tall grass, alas, will not work.
According to the type of drive, the equipment is also divided into four categories.
- Front wheels They can only be used on a flat lawn. Models with a similar design are characterized by ease of operation, maneuverability when making a turn / turn.
- Rear wheels The rear axle drive provides easy operation on uneven areas with large elevations. Rear-wheel drive is very specific, as the turning radius is significantly increased. To quickly change the trajectory of movement, sometimes you have to stop.
- All wheels. The presence of all-wheel drive allows you to work in any weather, such lawn mowers are easy to raise or lower from the hill. All-wheel drive equipment belongs to the premium segment. Due to the high cost, it is not accessible to everyone. Also, models weigh up to 50 kilograms, which complicates transportation and winter conservation.
- Without drive. Weight averages about 15 kilograms, equipment is characterized by high efficiency. True, it will have to be constantly pushed, and the power leaves much to be desired.
The equipment is divided into three categories depending on the performance of the power unit.
Low Power Class Lawn Mowers
Electric models deliver power up to 1,500 watts, while gasoline engines. up to two and a half horsepower.
It is a compact solution with minimal weight, which is great for processing a small, even garden lawn with flower beds. True, the cutting width is relatively small. no more than 40 centimeters. To mow the lawn, you have to prepare in advance for a great waste of time and effort. The equipment belonging to the low-power class cannot boast of high functionality in general.
Medium Power Lawn Mowers
The performance of electric models is from 1.5 to 2 kilowatts, gasoline engines from two and a half to six horsepower.
Pay attention to this category if you have to process areas with irregularities and slight slopes of the surface. The equipment easily cuts weeds with a thick stem, significantly reducing the amount of time for cutting. Among the shortcomings, we note the relatively large dimensions and weight, as well as the increased cost against the background of a low-power class.
High Power Class Lawn Mowers
This is a premium equipment where only internal combustion engines act as a drive. Their performance starts at around 6 horsepower.
This is a highly efficient reliable equipment, divided into two categories. professional and semi-professional. To match the level, manufacturers endow their equipment with various functional solutions. There are two drawbacks, and both of them are related to finance. the high cost of both the models themselves and their subsequent after-sales service.
Rating of popular lawn mowers 2019
So, above we examined the main parameters that you need to pay attention to when making a purchase. Now move on to the specifics.
Husqvarna LC 140
Model Husqvarna LC 140 is a practical solution for owners of country houses with a personal plot. Buyers note the simplicity and ease of use.
The 125 cc 2.4-horsepower engine runs smoothly in all conditions. Briggs and Stratton technology fosters this. Grass flies into a soft grass catcher located at the rear of the structure. The tank has a volume of 800 milliliters, which is enough for an hour of intensive use.
The only drawback, according to customers, is the large packaging, which will result in overpayments for delivery from other regions.
Wheel lawn mower CHAMPION LM4215 belongs to the budget class. Equipped with a soft grass catcher of 40 liters. It is characterized by a small, as for its class, noise level. 96 dB. Lateral discharge is not provided.
A distinctive advantage of the equipment against competitors is the presence of a separate tank for filling oil. This makes it easier to prepare for the next processing session. As necessary, the user can choose the optimal level of bevel height from five available.
Among the disadvantages, it is worth noting the lack of a power regulator, as well as the specificity of maneuvering in cramped conditions.
GARDENA PowerMax 1400/34
The GARDENA PowerMax 1400/34 is another budget-friendly machine equipped with a 1.4 kW electric motor. Grass catcher. hard type. It is located behind, under the handle, behind the wheelbase. Compared with competitors, it has a very low weight. only 9700 grams in a fully complete state.
Video: How to Mow a Lawn Without a Lawn Mower Manually with Scissors
The manufacturer claims that the cord length is enough to handle a landscape area of 400 square meters. The presence of an electric motor significantly reduced the level of generated noise, bringing it to 79 dB.
Oleo-Mac G 48 PK Comfort Plus
The Oleo-Mac G 48 PK Comfort Plus Lawn Mower is professional-grade equipment designed to handle large areas.
The model is equipped with a four-stroke gasoline engine with a volume of 140 cm³. One full tank of 1 liter is enough to process an area of 1400 square meters. Grass enters a soft-type container. Depending on personal preferences and features of the processed landscape, the owner can choose one of six cutting height modes. The total weight of the wheeled lawnmower is 25.4 kilograms.
PATRIOT PT 42 LS
Lawnmower PATRIOT PT 42 LS is one of the best mid-range models on the domestic market.
The curb weight is 27 kilograms. It is justified by the presence of a self-propelled mechanism, thanks to which, the owner does not have to push the equipment.
The soft grass catcher does not absorb unpleasant odors, which makes the model one of the best for country houses and summer cottages. The gas engine has a power of three and a half horsepower.
Hyundai L 4310
The best option from the middle price range is the Hyundai L 4310. This lawn mower copes with terrain processing of any level of complexity. For only 13 thousand, the buyer receives reliable equipment that supports six options for adjusting the cutting height.
The oil and gas tank make it unnecessary for the user to mix fuel and lubricant. The model is compatible with popular mulching nozzles. A fuel tank of one liter is enough to handle more than 1200 square meters of area. The engine has a long service life, therefore, does not require constant maintenance.
BOSCH Rotak 43 LI (0.600.8A4.507)
One of the most successful models from the German manufacturer. BOSCH Rotak 43 LI (0.600.8A4.507) is a professional-class model that does not require service maintenance of the motor and other components.
The grass catcher is hard, has a large volume of 50 liters. Installation of a mulching nozzle is supported. There are six options for cutting height to choose from. The electric motor is powered by an integrated rechargeable battery with a capacity of 4 ampere hours and a voltage of 36 volts.
Standard equipment consists of two rechargeable batteries, each of which is charged for two hours.
Makita PLM4628N is a self-propelled lawnmower equipped with rear-wheel drive. One full tank is enough to process an area of 1,400 square meters.
Thanks to the use of new technologies, it was possible to reduce motor noise to 87 dB. Grass can be ejected in different directions. not only in the grass catcher, but also backward, to the left or right side.
The power unit from Briggs and Stratton implements all the advanced technological solutions. There is a motor brake. Perhaps this is the best option for the money.
In order to mow the lawn, there are many special tools, such as lawn scissors (hand and cordless), garden trimmers (cordless, gasoline, electric), scythe, as well as manual and mechanical lawn mowers. The first time you need to mow the lawn when the grass grows about 10 cm in height. The recommended grass length for the lawn is 4 to 6 cm, but it is undesirable to cut the grass by more than 2 or 3 cm during the first mowing. It is also not worth delaying with a haircut, otherwise the long grass can be nailed to the ground by rain, after which it will be extremely difficult to raise it. Rare vegetation is no reason to postpone the procedure, as cutting will become a catalyst for the grass to grow more actively and denser.
How to cut a lawn mower?
Mowing the lawn in the area near the house using a lawn mower is not so difficult if you know where to start and what kind of front work should be done first. When spring came, snow fell and grass on the lawn grew to 10 centimeters, it is time to conduct the first haircut.
To shorten the grass on the site correctly, you should adhere to the following recommendations:
- First of all, you need to treat the lawnmower with a section along the contour and along the edge of the tracks to strictly outline the front of work and mark the boundaries. And also you need to walk along the flower beds and trees, if they grow on the lawn. For this, any technique is suitable: manual and electric. But with the help of the second one it will be possible to do the work many times faster, however, it is convenient to use electrical engineering only along straight lines and angles. If the area is with blurred borders and when you need to make a smooth transition, it is better to give preference to a lawn mower with manual control.
- When working with equipment, it is necessary to use the whole body, do not allow only hands to move. To get a better result, you need to hold the lawnmower with both hands and smoothly move forward (only in one direction, if you have missed something, then go back and again go through the same area).
- If possible, cut the path and follow the paths so as not to cut the grass too short.
- Move around the site slowly so you don’t have to return. Electric lawn mowers work quickly, which is why people often speed up, but end up with an unevenly trimmed area.
Before you start mowing, you need to remove all unnecessary items from the lawn territory: garbage, garden tools, toys, branches, etc.
How to shorten grass on a lawn without a lawn mower?
If there is no lawn mower available, and you want to make a neat lawn, then to cut the grass manually, you can use other methods and equipment, namely: oblique, clippers, or a trimmer.
Using such equipment for mowing a lawn as a scythe, you can achieve a neat result only if you work slowly and thoughtfully. With the help of a braid, you can cut the grass in even layers, the main thing is to use a sharp blade.
To trim the lawn evenly or make the plot lawn, you must adhere to the following recommendations:
- If the site is yet to be made a lawn, then you first need to determine the area, highlight the borders (for example, with a hose), smooth out uneven places and take away poorly packed earth or humus.
- When using the scythe, you must always hold the blade vertically, and not at an angle, otherwise the grass cannot be mowed exactly.
- Movements should be smooth and not too sweeping. Make sure there are no pipes or wires nearby.
- Processing the edge of flower beds or other plants with a braid is easy, moreover, practical and convenient.
- When processing a place around trees, you need to carefully monitor so as not to damage the roots or blade about them.
After mowing, the braid blade must be washed and cleaned of dirt, as the use of blunt equipment can damage the grass, because of which the surface of the lawn cannot be made attractively even.
With the help of trimmers, you can easily mow the grass on the lawn and in inaccessible places, such as under a bench, around a tree, flower beds, etc. Trimmers are different: running on gasoline, on battery or electricity. In the people, the mechanism is often called a benzo or electric braid.
Cons of a gasoline device:
- heavy weight (the larger the tank volume, the heavier the trimmer);
- loud work;
- strong vibration;
- fast heating (every 35-40 minutes you need to turn off for cooling);
- exactingness to fuel (only high quality gasoline is suitable).
In the case of the operation of the electric mechanism, it is necessary to monitor the wire, take into account the length of the cord and not go far from the outlet.
But the trimmer has a number of advantages, namely:
- not source of noise;
- weighs little;
- does not harm the environment with exhaust;
- does not need refueling;
- works after pressing one button.
Never trim the wet grass with an electric trimmer with a low engine position.
Cordless trimmers have the following advantages:
- less weight than electric and gasoline;
- do not require expensive and high-quality fuel;
- mobile and not limited to cable;
- not expensive.
- the battery lasts for 40-50 minutes;
- takes a long time to charge;
- power is lower than that of electric.
Despite the disadvantages described, each of the varieties of the product at times copes with the processing of hard-to-reach spots than any lawn mower.
Using scissors, cutting the lawn completely will not work, since the equipment is only suitable for processing areas around flower beds, trees, bushes, fountains, along paths, along the contour, etc.
Manual scissors are enriched with a special mechanism that allows you to adjust the position of the blades. The blades can be rotated from 0 to 360 degrees, which greatly facilitates the work. Mechanical shears are equally convenient to use with both right and left hand.
Rechargeable sheath visually resembles a hair clipper with larger metal blades. After charging, the battery will last for 1 or 1.5 hours.
These scissors are not light, so the hand will get tired quickly, plus you need to stop periodically and clean the blades. However, this tool is quite powerful, therefore, cutting hard-to-reach places with it is many times faster than using mechanical scissors.
As a rule, the first lawn mowing is done in spring, around mid-May. You need to trim the grass when its length reaches 8-10 centimeters. You can do this manually using improvised equipment such as scissors or a trimmer, or using a lawn mower. It is recommended to perform the procedure in the morning without precipitation.