Replacing Fishing Line in Trimmer: 2 Ways
The trimmer is a necessary and useful tool for a summer cottage and a private house. Many own and actively use it, but not everyone knows how to replace a fishing line in a trimmer, especially at first.
In this manual, we will step by step analyze the entire replacement process. Looking ahead, there are two ways to tackle the trimmer spool with fishing line. There is no fundamental difference. the difference is that in the first case there will be one fishing line, folded in half, and in the second there will be two lines of such lines.
Disassemble the trimmer spool
For clarity, the mowing head (spool) was removed from the lawn mowers. To replace the fishing line, you do not need to remove it, everything is done locally. It does not take much time.
We disassemble the trimmer spool. it rests on the latches-latches. Remove the cover by pressing on the latches. If you do not have enough effort with your hands, then use a screwdriver.
The spool consists of the following:
- Spring housing
- Locking lid
- Button coil
The principle of action is as follows. By pressing the button, the coil presses on the spring and exits the locking grooves in the spool cover. While holding the coil in this state, you can twist, thereby adjusting the length of the fishing line. When you release the button, the housing spring returns the coil to its original fixed state.
Disassembled Trimer Spool
Bottom on the coil there are several holes for different diameters of the lines. Different trimmer manufacturers may vary. In some cases (as here) they are signed, in others not.
These holes are needed to fix the fishing line when replacing it. After winding on a woman’s fishing line, the ends of the latter are inserted into them. This is necessary so that the scaffold does not unwind at the time of installation of the coil in the trimmer housing. In other words, it facilitates the replacement of fishing line.
Fishing Line Holes
There are models without specifying the diameter of the consumable. Then, in order to find out what the maximum diameter of the scaffold can be used, it is tried on through the holes for withdrawing fishing line from the body of the trimmer spool (see the figure below).
Fitting on fishing line outlets
The reel has two sections for fishing line, separated by a partition. They may not be. They are needed only to distinguish and facilitate winding of the consumable.
Two sections for fishing line
Initially determined with the required length of the loess. The latter is wound in one of the sections of the coil so that it does not go beyond its limits. In this case, 3 mm was wound, the length was about 2 meters. Those. for two sections you will need a 4 meter cut. this is for the 1st method. For the second method, you need two segments of 2 meters.
Determination of the required length of fishing line
Now you need to figure out which side you need to wind it. To do this, many manufacturers of trim tabs on the coils apply special designations such as in the figure below.
Special designation on the reel
If such designations were not found, then you need to pay attention to the body of the spool. There is without fail an arrow that indicates the movement of the mowing head. The fishing line is wound in the opposite direction.
Designation on the spool housing
Bent in half fishing line
The prepared segment (in this case, 4 meters) is bent approximately in half. one segment should be 15-20 cm longer and inserted into a special slot located on the dividing partition.
The fishing line is inserted into the slot
In a previously defined direction, a fishing line is wound. This is done in a tight fit, the line is neatly distributed. In this case, you need to wind a segment that is longer in the section that is closer to the button.
There are designs in which the division of the coil into two sections is not provided. This does not change anything, the fishing line is wound in a similar way. It is only necessary to ensure that the segments do not overlap among themselves.
The first segment that ends at the bottom of the coil, i.e. one that is closer to the fixing holes.
This tip is placed in the corresponding diameter hole. The fishing line is firmly fixed.
The fishing line is firmly fixed
A long section is wound another half turn. There, it is similarly fixed. In this case, the segment crosses another section of the coil.
A long section is wound another half turn
The fixed ends of the wound fishing line are inserted into the holes of the trimmer spool housing.
The fixed ends of the wound fishing line are inserted into the holes of the trimmer spool housing
The coil is attached to the body. The ends of the fishing line are pulled with force so that the fishing line previously fixed in the holes of the reel springs out. This is easily determined by the characteristic sound (click).
The ends of the fishing line pull
The button coil is latched into the trimmer spool housing.
Coil with button snap into the trimmer spool housing
Replacing the fishing line was successful. In this case, you need to install it back on the trimmer and you can start mowing the grass.
It should be repeated, you do not need to remove the spool from the trimmer. this was done to make the process of replacing the fishing line easier. You can disassemble the spool in place, wrap it on a reel and put it back.
Successfully replacing fishing line
The tips so that they do not hit the trim cover can and should be trimmed.
Method 2. two segments
Two wound lengths of fishing line
Method number 2 fundamentally no different from method number 1. The only difference is the two winded pieces of fishing line, instead of one.
The end of each segment is bent
The end of each segment is bent.
Two special locking sockets
There are two special locking sockets on the coil (see figure above).
Start winding the fishing line
They hook onto it with a hook formed earlier on the fishing line, and begin to wind the fishing line.
Winding is carried out in a special order.
The winding should be carried out in the following order: first the bottom line, i.e. the one that is closer to the fixing holes at the bottom of the coil, and only then the upper one, i.e. one that will overlap the bottom section.
The bottom line is wound
The tips are made into the holes in the body of the trimmer spool. They are pulled up to a click, which indicates that the line has come out of the clips.
The tips are threaded into the holes of the trimmer spool housing
The coil is fastened into the housing. The fishing line in the spool is replaced.
The fishing line in the spool is replaced
VIDEO: How to wind a fishing line on a mowing head trimmer or lawn mowers
Feedback from our readers is very important to us. Leave your rating in the comments with the argument for your choice. Your opinion will be useful to other users.
Did our article help you?
How to refill a fishing line in a trimmer. Instructions | Photo
How to choose a fishing line. length, diameter, restrictions
IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER! Do not use fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. Such a replacement is not effective and dangerous. A cable can injure not only the mower itself, but also others.
As for the length, it is worth counting on the estimated frequency of use of the trimmer. The more often, the more it is worth stocking up consumables.
Information on the possible diameter of the fishing line can be found on the hull. trimmer reels. Most likely, the range will be indicated there. Thickness varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. Choose the appropriate option, taking into account the features of the cultivated area. The larger the diameter, the easier it is to mow hard grass.
Preparation. remove and disassemble the spool
1. Lock the shaft. Insert the locking element into the corresponding hole. It can be a thin screwdriver or a metal rod.
2. Unscrew the bobbin case. In our example, strictly in the clockwise direction.
3. Unscrew the cover in the direction indicated on the housing.
4. Take out the coil for winding.
The preparatory phase is over. You can proceed to winding fishing line.
How to wind a line onto a trim reel
2. Insert the resulting loop into the groove.
3. Lay the fishing line in the direction indicated on the element body.
4. Insert the short end into the groove on the side of the coil.
5. Fasten the long end in the opposite groove.
6. Place the reel with wound fishing line into the bobbin case.
7. Pull the fishing line out of the locking grooves.
8. Put on a cover and fix.
9. Trim the ends of the fishing line, leaving 10 to 15 centimeters.
Replacing the fishing line is completed and now it remains only to fasten the bobbin to the trimmer and you can work.
Video: How to Replace a Fishing Line on a Trimmer
ATTENTION! Common fishing line problems
For a better understanding of the mechanism of the process of replacing fishing line in the spool, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the video tutorial prepared by FUBAG specialists:
How to replace a fishing line in a trimmer
How to replace a fishing line in a trimmer
How to replace a fishing line in a trimmer
Many owners of lawn mowers are baffled by the issue of replacing the fishing line in the trimmer head. Sometimes this turns into a whole problem, which can lead to an inoperative state not only of the tool, but also of the mower. To prevent this situation, we will analyze in stages the process of replacing the cord (fishing line) in the nozzle.
1. Remove the nozzle from the gearbox. To do this, you need to combine the side hole of the lower curly washer and the recesses on the axis, insert a screwdriver and fix the shaft against rolling. Then you can unscrew the nozzle. It should be remembered that the thread on the shaft has a left thread, respectively, it is necessary to unscrew the element by turning it to the right.
2. The next step is to disassemble the housing of this unit. Typically, the lid is secured through slots with clips. To open it, you need to drown the latches into the case and squeeze the edges of the cover. If the nozzle has an automatic or semi-automatic line feed mode, then there is a spring inside that can fly out during disassembly. Therefore, we hold all the details with your free hand and carefully lay it out on the surface.
3. Now we take the fishing line, measure 5 meters and cut this piece. It is not recommended to wind the cord, the diameter of which is greater than the value specified in the instructions for the tool. Otherwise, you can get an increase in engine load and increased fuel consumption. Fold the fishing line in half to find the middle and get such a “loop”.
4. On the reel, in its middle part there are 2 recesses located opposite each other (instead of recesses there can be holes). We hook the “loop” into one of the recesses and begin to wind the fishing line counterclockwise. If the coil has two compartments, then the winding goes separately for each branch of the fishing line. We leave the last 15-20 cm of the cord free and clamp both ends through the recesses in the upper part of the coil.
5. We collect the feed elements (spring and washer) in the nozzle and output the free ends of the fishing line into the holes on the body. We put on the cover, snapping the latches in the corresponding grooves. After that, we extend the free play of the cord.
6. It remains to screw the nozzle into place, acting similarly to the first stage. Only now, to spin an element, you need to move it counterclockwise.
Here is a simple instruction to help you quickly replace the trimmer fishing line, without spending much effort searching for other solutions.
How to wrap a fishing line on a trimmer coil
Owners of private homes know how necessary this type of tool is, as a trimmer. It can be gasoline and electric, but they differ in the design of power units. To cut grass in areas where there are stones, trees and other obstructing objects, a fishing line is used as a cutting device. This consumable wears out during application, so how to wind the trimmer coil, we will consider in detail in the material.
What you need to know about fishing line for trimmer
A fishing line is a consumable that consists of nylon and serves as a cutting device. By means of this equipment, grass mowing occurs, which is ensured by rotating the tool head with high frequency. This material has a different thickness, which depends on its use on the corresponding tools, low-power electric (from 1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 W (2-2.4 mm) and gas trimmers with lawn mowers (from 2.4 to 3 , 2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the correspondingly thicker the cutting tool should be. This affects not only the quality of the grass mowing, but also the life of the material. If you are wondering how to wind the trimmer coil, then it’s time to change the reload tool. With the onset of spring, this issue becomes more and more popular, so it’s time to understand the step-by-step instructions for replacing the fishing line in the trimmer coil.
How to remove the reel from the trimmer and remove the fishing line
Initially, before you put fishing line in the trimmer coil, you need to remove it from there. A coil or pickup is a device that is located inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. The heads come in different types (depending on the manufacturers), however, the principle of replacing fishing line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
It is interesting! Tooling can be replaced directly on the tool, but if you are doing this for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head and study the detailed winding process. After the technology has been mastered, you can perform replacement work on the trimmer lawn mowing or lawn mowing.
The instruction on how to unwind the manual head on the trimmer has the following form:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from contamination. Use two fingers of one hand to hold the cover latches (on the mowing head), which are located symmetrically to each other. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, the fishing reel should be removed from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it is dismantled with one hand
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver with the appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew it is necessary to hold the base of the drum with one hand, and the second to perform unscrewing with a screwdriver counterclockwise
- After that, you can proceed to dismantle. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all its strength, but slightly swaying to the sides, slowly disengage from the metal shaft on which the drum is mounted
- When reinstalling, put the head into the slots of the tetrahedral shape
This process is not difficult, and as you know, it is not necessary to dismantle the entire head if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, consider the following nuances:
- Periodically removing the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you never unscrew the screw, then if necessary, it will be difficult and even sometimes impossible
- If the screw has a four-sided boring of the head, then a screwdriver or bits of the appropriate size should be selected for twisting to prevent the faces from licking on the head
- When assembling the installation, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, for example, solid oil or machine oil
- If the faces on the screw are licked, then you can use special clamping tongs to unscrew it
- There are drums that do not require pre-disassembly. To dismantle them, grasp it and turn it clockwise in the opposite direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to clarify the process of replacing the trimmer fishing line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the trimmer coil and disassemble it.
How does a head with a fishing line on a lawn mower why do you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a clamping spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble a trimmer head without a spring, i.e. on a manual type head. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above described instructions.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic trimmer coil is as follows:
- Inside the head is a coil that is seated on the slots, preventing its free movement
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the slots in the cover structure
- A line is wound around the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Usually this length is from 1 to 4 meters
- During the execution of the work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the fishing line, the protruding part of the drum is clamped, whereby it disengages from the slots. In this case, the fishing line is wound off the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, you should release the pressing, and continue to work on the cutting of grass
The advantage of a fishing line tool is that this consumable material does not require sharpening compared to metal discs. In addition, if there is a stone or a tree on the way, the line simply comes off, without adversely affecting the gearbox and the tool motor, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and arrangement of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of refueling fishing line into the trimmer coil. Indeed, it is this moment that causes the majority of owners of special tools difficulties.
Instructions with a step-by-step description of how to wind the trimmer coil and lawn mowers
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of a suitable fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head, and look at the side wall of the reel. This information is usually presented on a tip that will not allow you to make a mistake with the use of appropriate equipment.
If the information on the reel about what diameter the fishing line can be refueled, then this information can be clarified in the instructions. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the snap, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not all of them are applicable. We will consider both methods in detail, and depending on which models of lawn mowers and trimmers you use, you decide on your own which option is suitable.
It is interesting! The principle of how to wind a fishing line on a tip of a lawn mowers is relevant not only for autonomous petrol units, but also for electric trimmers.
Method 1. how to wind the fishing line correctly or put it on a reel and choose the required length
To implement this method, you will need to pre-prepare a fishing line of the required length (usually up to 4 meters). It all depends on the thickness of the equipment used, as well as the design of the coil. There is an easy way to find out the required amount of fishing line, the refueling of which will be needed to charge the coil. To do this, the equipment should be wound inside the coil until it is equal to the side protrusions. Equipment should not go beyond these extreme protrusions.
The thicker the equipment used, the less its length will be needed and vice versa, the thinner, the longer the segment will be needed.
The instruction on how to properly rig the equipment into the tip of the trimmer or lawn mowers is as follows:
- To begin with, the piece of fishing line that was prepared to be installed in the reel must be folded in half. In this case, one edge should protrude 10-15 cm more than the second
- After that, the second end is taken from the other side, and doubled up. Move to it so that the measured protrusion of 15 cm is preserved
- There is a slot in the inner baffle of the coil into which the resulting loop should be inserted. The slot in the wall is shown in the photo below.
- Next, we find out the direction of winding the fishing line. If you wind the equipment in the wrong direction, then it will not function correctly, and you will need to redo the work. To insert the fishing line and wind it in the right direction, you should inspect the surface of the reel. It should indicate the direction of winding (in 99% of cases, this direction is indicated). How the direction indicator on the coil looks, shown in the photo below
- This arrow pointer can also be labeled, as in the example above, “WIND LINE”, which means the direction of winding. If the pointer is not on the coil, then look at the head. On the head there is a direction of its rotation, and to properly wind the line, you should wind it on the drum in the opposite direction to the indication of the arrow pointer. So, if the arrow is on tip, then you need to wind in the specified direction, and if it is not there, then you should wind against the direction of the arrow on the surface of the head
- Having decided on the direction of rotation, you should proceed to winding. Each end should lead in its groove. If there is no separator, then fit the equipment in the appropriate distribution order
- When almost all the fishing line is wound on a reel, you will need to do the following. place a short part in the hole of the tip side wall, the protrusion of which should be up to 10-15 cm, and then similarly do the procedure with the other end, placing it in the hole on the parallel side
- We insert the reel into the head, previously skipping the ends of the fishing line into the holes of the drum
- We put the drum in place and pulling the ends of the fishing line, we disengage them from the temporary clamps in the wall of the reel. After that, you can put on the cover until the latch
- On this, the process of how to replace the fishing line on the trimmer is completed, and if necessary, you can cut only the ends (if their length does not suit), and install the drum assembled on the instrument
With how to put the drum in place, no difficulties arise. There is a second way, how to charge the mowing equipment in the lawn mower. What is the difference, and how is the second method of refueling fishing line on the lawn mowing coil carried out, we will find out in detail.
Method 2. how to properly put fishing line on a lawn mowing coil with a photo description and video
The second method differs from the first in that not a single piece of equipment is charged into the coil, but segments of two parts. This method is used by manufacturers, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two pieces of fishing line into the tip of the lawn mowing is the same with the first method, and to make sure of this, below is a detailed instruction:
- There are two equal lengths of material that can be used.
- One piece is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with the help of which the fishing line will be fixed
- Inside the coil there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not, then the second option will not work. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is in its own half.
- Brace fishing line should catch on the bracket, and make it winding in the direction of the arrow
- The tooling is wound up until a segment of 10-15 cm remains, which is fixed in the corresponding hole on the side of the tip
- Similarly, the manipulation of the second end of the fishing line
- The tabs start up in the holes of the head, and then, removing the snap-in from the temporary fasteners in the coil, a cover with latches is installed
The above instructions on how to install a fishing line in a lawn mower will help not only correctly, but also quickly perform the replacement procedure. Assembly of the trimmer coil, as mentioned above, can be performed without removing the head, but in this case you will need to conveniently fix the tool. Video instruction is presented below.
Tips and tricks on how to wind a fishing line and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and tricks that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for experienced mowers. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and improper functioning of the mechanism. These recommendations read as follows:
- Install the cover until it clicks. over, this is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of clips. If one latch does not snap in, then when you start the tool, the drum may pop out and injure a person
- Do not wrap the fishing line with a strong pulling it, as well as in an amount greater than you can insert it into place. It’s better not to wring the snap than it will be more, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of the inability to unwind it if necessary
- If you own a tool not with two leads of the fishing line, but with one (usually these are low-power units), then the winding process is carried out in the same sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of a middle rim between the extreme bases of the coil
- After replacing the material, it is necessary to first check the operability of the tool, and only then proceed to mowing the grass. If you do not perform a preliminary check, then the forest can unwind and injure a person
It is interesting! Choose material of the appropriate quality to avoid personal injury when working with lawn mowers, trimmers and lawn mowers. In the process of mowing grass, small stones and other materials fall under the rotating parts, which can fly off over long distances, therefore, despite the fact that the fishing line is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in protective special uniform.
The result of the work done is the following. after the replacement of new material, the usual one is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the fishing line. Conventional nylon materials serve less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to mow thick-stemmed grass with fishing line, as there are special metal discs or knives for this.
"How to wind a fishing line on a trimmer?". Yandex.
The trimmer coil is located in the mowing head, which consists of a spring, a coil and two covers.
The first step is to disassemble and remove the trimmer head. To do this, push the locks all the way to the sides of the case and turn them clockwise.
To open the mowing head, press the side latches, if you can’t do it with your hands, you can use a screwdriver. Remove the coil.
For the right choice of fishing line, suitable specifically for your trimmer, look at the inside of the numeric notation. These numbers indicate the required diameter of the fishing line in millimeters.
If you did not find such information, then the maximum diameter can be determined by taking the fishing line and threading it through the hollow hole. The thread should pass freely back and forth.
How to reel a fishing line on a trimmer reel. 1 way
Unwind about 4 meters of fishing line for winding. To determine the exact amount of the desired material, reel the fishing line from the roll onto the reel; the final result should not exceed the diameter of the reel and climb over the edges.
For convenience, fold the thread in half, make one end 10-15 cm longer than the other.
On the reel there is a dividing side, passing in the center. There is a cavity on it where you want to insert the fishing line. To do this, squeeze the place where the thread is bent and tighten the loop in this cavity.
Important. you need to determine exactly which way to wind the line, for this, find the inscription "Wind Line" on the reel, there is an arrow next to it indicating the direction of winding. If there is no such arrow on the spool, look for the arrow on the mowing head body; you need to wind it in the opposite direction.
Wind the line onto the spool gently, pulling the thread as far as possible.
At the end of the work, take the end that is shorter and insert it into the blade on the reel body corresponding to the diameter of your fishing line. In this work, the thread was threaded into a blade with the designations 3.3 mm.
With the second end, do the same, but insert it into the blade opposite the previous one. Fix the two ends, leave an allowance of 5-10 cm, cut the rest. Allowances are necessary so that when the spool is inserted into the head, the thread does not unwind.
How to reel a fishing line on a trimmer reel. second way
The methods differ by winding. in the second method, use a fishing line of two pieces separately. At the end of the thread, bend the staples as shown in the photo and push them into the fixing hole. Wrap the two blades of the coil in this way.
If you have a single-blade reel, find a hole in the inside to secure the fishing line. Insert the fishing line in one of the ways above. Then rewind it on the coil, in the direction of the reverse movement of the coil on the trimmer. Leave a small section of thread and reassemble the mowing head.
When you start the trimmer to work, the excess part of the fishing line is cut with a sharp pruning blade on its own.
In order not to change the fishing line too often, constantly stopping the work, try to avoid touching the equipment with solid objects during use.