How to properly wind a line for a trimmer on a grass trimmer: step-by-step guide and video instructions
A beautiful lawn will look really well-maintained only if the grass is regularly mowed. The grass trimmer is best for difficult terrain. Sooner or later any owner of the machine will face the problem of how to wind the line for the trimmer on the spool, because the wrong actions can not only worsen the quality of mowing, but also withdraw the equipment from service. Today in our review of Homius we will tell you about all the ways and nuances of replacing the fishing line and the peculiarities of the choice of consumable material.
the grass trimmer is useful for mowing small or difficult areas, such as near hedges, between beds, and along paths. Today, manufacturers produce a wide variety of gasoline, electric and battery-powered models, which can be selected to meet any needs of owners.
A line for the grass trimmer is used as a cutting element. In the process of work, sooner or later its length will run out, and then the owner will face the question of how to properly replace and fix the thread, tucked into the removable spool.
What to consider when choosing a fishing line
Before inserting and securing the trimmer fishing line into the grass trimmer’s removable reel, it’s important to choose the right material.
Rating of the best models of gasoline trimmer for grass. An overview of manufacturers and models, as well as useful tips from experts reviewed in this review will help in the difficult choice among the many models of devices.
Before you put the grass trimmer fishing line on the trimmer, you need to pay attention to the cross-section of the cord:
- round-section filaments are the most common option. They perfectly mow the grass even in difficult areas;
- spiral-shaped trimmer fishing line is suitable for thin grass. It is not very strong and will not be suitable for old thickets;
- cord with serrated and sharp edges are chosen for mowing weeds;
- A trimmer line with a variety of geometric sections can help you mow the lawn more evenly, but the durability of the consumable is low.
Important! The most wear-resistant consumable material is a two-component line for trimmer with a round section, reinforced from the inside.
The owner of the brushcutter should know that it is strictly forbidden to use wire made of metal, fishing line and a variety of strings.
Rating of the best electric trimmers for grass. In this review, we will analyze the criteria for choosing an electric trimmer, technical characteristics, as well as the most popular models and brands according to consumer reviews.
Before you wind the thread on the grass trimmer spool, you should pay attention to its size. Most often use fishing line for trimmer with a section of 2 mm.
You can find the right diameter in the following ways:
- Consult the trimmer manufacturer’s instructions for recommendations.
- Often manufacturers put information about the section on the bobbin.
- The cross-section of the cord must match the diameter of the bore of the spool.
Important ! The thicker the thread will be tucked in, the stiffer the grass it will be able to cut.
Making a wire cord holder
On the outer formative of the cup-shaped sleeve on the back side, using a ruler and a marker, mark two marks on the perpendicular to each other diameters.
Then, focusing on the first four marks, transfer them to the middle of the side surface of the cup-shaped sleeve strictly vertically. We clamp the cup-shaped sleeve in a locksmith’s vice and in the marked places with a core and a hammer mark the points of drilling, which we do with a drill. There should be two opposing holes, each at perpendicular diameters.
Deburr the metal around all four holes, working them in turn with a hand file. Over each of the four holes on the outside, install and weld a nut with a rounded top.
Clamp the two bolts in a vice and drill through holes with a diameter of slightly more than two millimeters directly under the heads.
Screw the nuts onto them and place the two bolts with the screwed nuts in the annular recess of the cup sleeve with their heads inward symmetrically between the two holes facing each other.
The bolts should be positioned so that the nuts on them can be turned on and off freely from the head to the top of the holes drilled in them. After checking once again that the bolts are positioned correctly, weld them to the sleeve on both sides.
Uncoil a two-millimeter rope and run it with one end through any of the side holes in the cup-shaped sleeve toward the bolt. Pass the rope through the hole in it and pull the end of the rope out through the hole in the sleeve on the other side of the bolt, helping yourself with the wire cutters.
We set the necessary length of the stretched cord and, having measured the same size on the other side, we bite the cord in the planned place with wire cutters. Do the same thing with the second “tendril” and tighten the nuts on the bolts with a spanner wrench with a force sufficient for reliable fixation of the “tendrils” in a given position.
Usually, working speeds cause the tendrils to come apart quickly, lose their strength and begin to break under the action of the huge centrifugal force. This impairs the grass trimmer’s performance, but even more dangerously, they can injure the feet of the operator or people nearby. It is therefore necessary to solder the entire length of the wire “tendrils” with a soldering iron. The soft solder, which is very flexible, absorbs most of the impact force when it comes into contact with grass stems and small bushes, and thus protects the cable from damage. So, the self-made working body of the grass trimmer is ready.
Types of trimmer heads
Grass cutter head is a cylindrical body, in which is inserted a spool (bobbin) with a line (cord) threaded in it. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. The filament heads differ in the way they are threaded and fed and are available in 3 types.
- Automatic. The cord is fed in after the user reduces the engine speed. Though automatic cord feed is convenient if you perform high volumes of work, such bobbins have one disadvantage. high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. The use of this type of head does not require complex manipulations from the user. The principle of their operation is that the cord is lengthened automatically while the machine is running at full speed. It’s enough to slightly knock the grass trimmer head on the ground (this removes the cord lock), and the line for trimmer due to centrifugal force is extended from the bobbin, after which it is cut to length by the knife located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord it is necessary to stop the machine, after which the line for the trimmer is pulled out manually.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. Also note that grass trimmer spools come in a single string (used only for grass trimming) and double string, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, with thin stems of bushes.
Installing the new fishing line on the grass trimmer reel
Equipping the spool with new fishing line is done in reverse order. The procedure looks approximately as described below, regardless of the model of lawnmower:
Step one: securing and laying
Fold the end of the line in half. Place the piece over the spool on each side of each half of the winding area. Wrap both halves completely around the winding reel. Pull the trimmer line through the loop.
Procedure for preparing the line engagement in the area of both winding sections of the reel. The loops are placed in the specially made notches, and then the line is wound in each area It is enough to tighten the line for the trimmer and fit the knot in the groove made on each side of the winding drum.
Step two: winding the cutting material in sections
The next step is to wrap the fishing line around the spool, taking care. It is essential that each half is filled with its “own” winding, evenly, without overlap. There are usually arrows on the body of the spool to show the winding direction. This is a point to keep in mind when filling the spool with line.
Step three: complete the head assembly
Pull the line ends through the pair of oval slots on the spool. Replace both washers and spring (if any in the design) with the new items supplied. Bend both ends of the line at right angles.
The last technical step of the line replacement process on the trimmer is to put the cover on the head and then lock it by applying pressure and turning it slightly. Pass each end through the hole at the base of the winding drum. Install the coil in the inner area of the head with the emphasis on the spring. Place the cover, align it with the base and with slight downward pressure with a slight counterclockwise rotation, place the cover on the locking tabs. This completes the replacement procedure.
How to remove and disassemble the coil
Before beginning the filament replacement process, trimmer users need to remove and disassemble the reel. Let’s see how to do it.
Grass trimmer mowing head consists of several parts: cover, spring (not in all models), bobbin with cord and cover.
Warning! Before proceeding to any action on the maintenance of the electric unit, it must be disconnected from the mains.
There are most often 2 variants of mowing head attachment in trimmers.
To remove the grass trimmer head, you will need to completely disassemble it.
This variant screws the head onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you will need to secure this shaft. For this purpose, in such trimmers, for example, in devices Huter and Champion, there is a hole through which you can insert either a thin screwdriver or a metal rod.
So, to remove the bobbin, follow 2 simple steps.
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole and lock the shaft.
- Take hold of the head body and start twisting it clockwise. To twist in this direction should be for the reason that the threads cut on the shaft are left.
In cheap units there is simultaneous combustion of gasoline and oil. This results in high exhaust fumes and a high noise level. In the expensive models oil is separate from gasoline, it does not burn, resulting in less carbon monoxide. The second bonus of finding oil and gasoline separately is the quiet operation, low vibration level of the tool.
In some versions, designers install special sound-absorbing nozzles, but you have to pay extra for them.
Cheap units burn gasoline and oil at the same time. This leads to a large amount of exhaust fumes, increased noise level. In the more expensive models, the oil is separate from the gasoline and does not burn, resulting in less carbon monoxide. A second bonus of separate oil and gasoline is the quiet operation, low vibration of the tool.
In some variants, the designers install special sound-absorbing nozzles, but you have to pay extra for them.
Algorithm of line winding
Depending on which model of grass trimmer is used, you choose the type, thickness and length of the line. The diameter of the cord can be from 1.2 to 4 mm. As you might guess, the thicker the cord, the harder and thicker the grass it can cut.
In most cases, use a universal line for the trimmer with a diameter of 2 mm.
In order to find out what diameter of fishing line can be used on your mower, there are 3 ways.
- Look for information about cord thickness in the instruction manual of your machine.
- Look at the bobbin itself. Information about possible line diameters may be printed on it.
The line for the trimmer is wound onto the spool in the mowing head. It should therefore be opened first (this was mentioned above). There are 2 ways to wind the cord.
To correctly determine how many meters of fishing line are required for a particular spool, you need to wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the bobbins. If the line for your trimmer is sticking out beyond the edges of the spool, you won’t be able to insert it into the cover. Once you have determined the length of material, it must be tucked into the bobbin, so do the following.
- You need to fold the line for the trimmer in half so that one end is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Note that the bobbin is divided into two parts by a central rim, which is where the charging begins. Find the groove on it and insert the cord bent in half by applying a small amount of force.
The second way
Some spools have a second method of securing the cord: You may charge 2 lengths of cord instead of one folded in half. The filament is changed according to the following algorithm.
- Before changing or loading new thread into the spool, determine how many meters of thread you will need using the method described above.
- bend one end of the cord into a hook.
If you use a Shtil brushcutter there is a very quick and easy way to change the filament without having to disassemble the mowing head, watch this video.
The ends of the filament sticking out of the holes in the brush guard can be cut to the right length when the part is mounted on the trimmer. There are two ways to do this:
- by turning on the grass trimmer (as it rotates, the ends of the line will cut on the knife attached to the blade guard for this purpose);
- by cutting off the excess ends with scissors so that they do not touch the body of the sheath.
The second method is used if a large diameter cord has to be installed, but the trimmer blade cannot shorten it.
If the filament has been charged into the mowing head but the projecting filament ends are not long enough, they must be lengthened before starting the machine. this applies to a head with manual adjustment. However, there are also cases when using a semi-automatic mowing head when, due to insufficient length of the protruding cord ends, they are not automatically extended. In such a case it is necessary to switch off the machine (it is obligatory to unplug the machine from the socket), manually press the button at the bottom of the part and pull out some fishing line. After this procedure, the cord will be able to extend again due to centrifugal force, if you set the spindle at maximum rpm.
Whatever thickness of line you use for your trimmer, remember: to avoid constantly interrupting work and changing the filament, you should avoid areas where the working tool may touch hard surfaces (stones, kerbs, thick dry twigs, etc.) and where you can hit hard surfaces.д.).
Disassembling the head
The first thing to do is to disassemble the mowing head. It can be removed from the grass scythe for convenience. Externally, the head consists of two parts connected by two snaps on the sides. They just need to be pressed together and the construction comes undone.
To wind the cord, you need to take a spool. It often has inscriptions with information about what diameter of line for the trimmer can be put.
Winding a double line
Usually, the spool is divided into two parts by a partition. You need to take the trimmer line from the skein and wind it in one half to measure the capacity at the selected cord diameter. Wind so much that the string does not protrude. As soon as the half is full, you need to coil back the line for the trimmer, remembering the used metreage. The cord should be cut to a length exactly 2 times longer than was placed on the half of the spool.
When you reach the end you need to fix the ends of the line in the special opposite notches on the side of the reel. Since one of them is longer, the free tails at the output are almost the same.
Now you need to insert the spool into the base with the spring. In this case, the ends of the line are threaded through the holes in the mowing head. They pull up to free themselves from the grip of the slots on the reel. After the lid is put on, the head is ready to use.
Features of trimmers application
Grass trimmer, mowing grass with a fishing line, can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, beds and flower beds, row spacing on the garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device as a grass trimmer exists in several variations:
As is clear from the names, the types of grass trimmer noticeably differ from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, its cutting element may be a trimmer line. Of course, the line set in the grass trimmer reel is not endless. Sooner or later it will need to be replaced with a new one.
Line consumption depends on how often you use the machine and the amount of work you do. The more grass you cut and the more often it is trimmed with the grass trimmer, the more the trimmer line is used. And consequently, the faster it will run out. In this connection, the question arises: how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But the line’s winding on the reel plays a big part in how well your weed trimmer works. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line for the trimmer on the spool. On how to change the line for the trimmer on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
What line for the trimmer to choose
Before you stock up on this material for tucking into the trimmer for grass, you need to decide on the choice. After all, the usual so-called round line for a trimmer is not the only kind that exists. How to choose the most suitable? First of all, you need to determine the working conditions.
Choosing by type. The line for trimmer with a circular cross-section is the most common. It will fit any reel, with very few exceptions. This type of material is suitable for mowing fresh, lush grass. But here with the mowing of the so-called dead wood, this type can no longer cope. The attempts to mow bushes with this thread are pointless to even mention.
In addition to the usual type, there are others with sharp edges. Usually they are made in “star” or “square” patterns. The sharp edge is the main feature and the key difference between these threads.
It is because of this feature that these kinds of threads are able to mow dry weeds. But pointed filaments are not without disadvantages, the main of which are fast wear and tear and strength, which is noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the already mentioned types of fishing lines, there are other interesting and frequently encountered varieties. Particularly among them can be noted fishing lines, inside of which a metal wire is stretched. Threads of this type are often used in tools that run on gasoline and have an engine more powerful than one and a half horsepower.
Metallic core filaments are available in both round and sharp-edged sections. Regardless of the section type, these threads are the best way to overcome hard-to-cut plants. Threads belonging to this type easily mow not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
Filaments with a wire inside compare favorably to other types of consumables by their incredible durability. But unfortunately, this feature has more than a noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of filaments with a core is much higher than the cost of other types of filaments.
Choosing by thickness
In addition, special attention should be paid to the thickness of the consumable. A filament with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is good for mowing young grass. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and rougher the weeds it can handle.
There is a “but” when choosing a line in terms of thickness. It is important not only to assess the material capabilities, but also to take into account the peculiarities of the grass trimmer. Be sure to check the owner’s manual supplied with the machine for information about the cutting attachment requirements.
Use of unsuitable thread may lead to tool failure. Using a thread that is too thick will overload the motor of the device. And using too thin thread will increase wear and tear of the torque mechanism many times over.
That’s why the choice of consumable material should be approached with no less responsibility than its threading in the grass trimmer. When a suitable fishing line for the trimmer is found and purchased, you can begin to consider ways of winding it on the spool.
First of all, to wind the fishing line requires removing the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. the specific steps will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
- small electric grass trimmers with the working arrangement of the motor and spool in the lower part usually have side keys on both sides of the reel. Pressing them simultaneously disconnects the upper part of the spool together with the internal contents for winding the fishing line, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place so that the spring included in the construction does not pop out and get lost;
- Electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved rod without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have a spool with a special wingnut: in such designs should be one hand to hold the bobbin in a fixed position, and the other counterclockwise to rotate the fixing bobbin on the rod nut, wingnut. After disconnecting the nut, the entire spool is removed.
- Electric and petrol grass trimmers with the possibility of installing a blade on a straight boom (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To immobilize the cutter bar, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into the hole and slowly rotating the cutter bar is adjusted so that the screwdriver fits through the hole and the bobbin is locked in place. After that the spool body is twisted clockwise (with the left thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third case, spools, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. In spools with a wingnut, the wingnut is unscrewed, in spools with latches, the latches are pressed and one part of the spool is released from the other. If the bobbin halves are connected by thread, it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
Want to see? Rating of the best petrol lawnmowers!
How to insert a line into a grass trimmer for a trimmer?
Filling the mowing spool with cutting thread for the grass trimmer. an easy task, but beginners gardeners will have to practice a little to be able to quickly insert the cord into the existing household grass trimmer in the future.
There are only a few ways to thread the grass trimmer’s mowing head. The first method is the easiest, and will work well for beginning gardeners.
In this case, the cord is inserted into the reel in this sequence:
- First, you will need to unwind about 6 m of grass trimmer line from the common spool, and then cut the resulting section in half. The result should be two strands, each 3 m long;
- Then at one end of the first section will need to make a kind of hook, and insert it into one of the through holes located in the top of the bobbin;
- Next, begin winding the line on the bobbin in the direction of the arrow. During winding it is necessary to make sure that the line for the trimmer lies evenly on the surface of the bobbin, and does not go beyond its upper section. It is not necessary to wind the whole section, about 15 cm of thread should remain in your hands;
- The remaining free end of the coiled cord will need to be inserted into one of the notches located at the top of the bobbin;
- Then the same procedure should be done with the second piece of fishing line. It will be necessary to wind it on the lower section of the spool;
- As in the first case, it is not necessary to wind the line for the trimmer on the lower section to the end. The remaining piece of thread must be inserted into the second groove of the bobbin.
After the operation is completed, it will be necessary to install the spool on the grass trimmer and wind it up. To check the reliability of the thread attachment, you will need to press the throttle lever to the end, so that the engine reaches maximum revolutions. If the trimmer line does not fly out of the head, it means that the trimmer line is held securely and will not fly out of the mowing reel while cutting the grass.