Advantages of the Stihl MS-180 gasoline saw
Let’s talk about the features of the “Stihl” MS-180 chainsaw:
- The ease of a gasoline saw;
- Productivity in 2 liters. From.;
- Belongs to the “hobby class”;
- Easy start Ergostart;
- Fast chain tension;
- Electronic type ignition;
- Four rubber shock absorbers for vibration damping;
- Brake for the Quik Stop chain;
- Insulation of sprocket rollers;
- Carburetor NOT Adjustable (only idle speed is regulated, engine speed is constant with factory settings)
- The presence of a stabilizing compensator;
- Single-lever control;
- The chain is reinforced;
- The presence of two compression rings on the engine piston instead of one;
- Saw versatility:
- Durability, reliability.
The disadvantages are the following:
- Noise during work;
- High price;
- Limited operating time per day.
Chainsaw “Stihl” MC-180 consists of: gasoline engine, carburetor, casing, starter, flywheel, clutch, decompression valve, oil pump, fuel pump and tank, spark plug, saw chain, tire, sprocket, brake, air filter, shift lever. dust collector, muffler, retainers, tension wheel, toothed stop, adjustment screw, handle.
Description chainsaw “Stihl” MC-180
This is a household tool designed for cutting branches and trees, sawing logs, carrying out second actions in the garden. The Stihl chainsaw weighs 3.9 kg. Power of the installed carburetor two-stroke engine 2 Horsepower. The unit is powered by a mixture of gasoline (AI-92 and higher) and engine oil for two-stroke engines. Supplied with a 35 cm bar. Length, uses a Picco Micro 3 (PM3) chain with a pitch of ⅜ inches.
The manufacturer has provided the Stihl chainsaw with a lock against accidental starting, and also provided automatic chain lubrication during operation (Ematic system).
For the convenience of the operator for a long time, an effective anti-vibration system is provided.
We offer to get acquainted with the technical characteristics of the Stihl MS-180 chainsaw:
|Engine power, W (hp)||1500 (2)|
|Cylinder volume, cm3||31.8|
|Fuel tank volume, l||0.27|
|Bus length, mm||300/350|
|Chain pitch, inches||3/8|
|Power button lock||there is|
|Automatic chain lubrication||there is|
|Grease tank capacity, l||0.26|
|Additional options||anti-vibration system, compensator, Ematic chain lubrication system|
Break-in period for the Stihl chainsaw
In the usual sense, the Stihl 180 is not run-in. She is initially ready to go. However, the owner of the equipment needs to know and understand the following:
- The first 4 to 8 full fuel tanks dropped out, the work of the gasoline saw should be performed in a gentle mode, not at the full power of the power plant with frequent interruptions to cool the tool.
- The first 60 minutes of operation of the Stihl chainsaw consists of work and rest intervals: 2 min. Work, 10 seconds. idle, break. Idling for more than 10 seconds damages spark plugs, leaving carbon deposits on them.
- It is very important to properly prepare the fuel mixture from high quality materials (1/50, AI-92 gasoline and higher, Stihl oil for 2-stroke engines).
And now you have the opportunity to evaluate this tool at work by looking at the short:
Malfunctions and repairs
Stihl 180 chainsaw malfunctions and their elimination is another problem that worries tool owners.
Why the Stihl 180 chainsaw will not start:
- There is no fuel mixture;
- There is a contact on the spark plug;
- Break of high-voltage wire;
- The fuel pump does NOT pump;
- Clogged fuel lines;
- Problems with candles;
- Ignition is NOT adjusted;
- Floods a candle.
Why the “Stihl” 180 chainsaw does NOT develop the required number of revolutions:
- Spark plug carbon deposits;
- The candle is worn out, replacement is necessary (after 100 hours of operation);
- Carburetor needs cleaning.
Chainsaw “Stihl” 180 stalls at idle:
- The carburetor is NOT adjusted;
- Clogged fuel or air filter.
We offer you to see how the carburetor of the “Stihl” MC 180 chainsaw is adjusted with your own hands:
Some tool owners use the Stihl MC 180 chainsaw together with an angle grinder attachment, this allows you to build a home sawmill and perform longitudinal cuts.
The attachment-angle grinder for the “Stihl” MS-180 chainsaw is shown:
But even without this nozzle, some craftsmen have found a way to perform longitudinal spray with a conventional bar and saw chain. We offer you to look at the Homemade sawmill from scrap materials:
Chainsaw Stihl MS-180 C-BE 14
This “Stihl” chainsaw is more improved by the manufacturer, its weight is 4.2 kg. The two-stroke power plant runs on a fuel mixture of gasoline and engine oil and has a capacity of 2 liters. From. Air cooling, the ErgoStart system allows you to easily start the engine by pulling the inertia starter handle. Quickstop system instantly stops chain movement when pressing the front stop.
A built-in compensator provides constant fuel consumption and the cleanest exhaust possible. The tire is small. 14 inches, with the following parameters: 1.3 mm, 3/8 “, 50 links. The tire is equipped with a Picco Duro chain of our own production, which blunts four times slower, is extremely durable and reliable.
The chain tensioning system has been improved without the use of special tools. The Ematic system allows the chain to be lubricated where it is needed, resulting in 50% savings in lubricants. Anti-vibration system protects the operator from unnecessary vibration.
|Cylinder displacement||31.8 cm³|
|Bus length||35 cm|
|STIHL Oilomatic chain pitch / type||3/8 “P / Picco Micro 3|
|power||1.5 / 2 kW / hp.|
|Weight 1)||4.2 kg|
|Specific gravity||2.8 kg / kW|
|Sound pressure level 2)||98 dB (A)|
|Sound power level 2)||110 dB (A)|
|Vibration level left / right 3)||7.6 / 7.4 m / s²|
|Chain pitch||3/8 “P|
|volume of the tank||0.25 l|
|Idling speed||2.800 rpm.|
|Number of revolutions Pmax 4)||9.000 rpm|
|K-factor according to Directive 2006/42 / EC||2|
In addition to the basic modification MS-180, there are Improved models:
- Chainsaw Stihl MS-180 C-BE 14.
- Chainsaw Stihl MS-180 16 Picco.
Let’s consider each modification separately.
Chainsaw “Stihl” MS-180. Technical characteristics and features of use
Saw chain features
The saw chain is the working mechanism. Saw chains are manufactured using a special technology:
- The cutting element is made of high carbon steel, and the use of chrome plating or applying a victor layer to the cutter. The more complex the manufacturing technology, the higher the cost of the chain.
- Hinge holes are sanded to reduce friction and extend life.
- Rivets are used only hardened by a special technology.
- The teeth are marked with marks, which can be used to determine wear and perform uniform sharpening.
- After connecting the links into a chain, the product is stretched to ensure dimensional stability during operation.
Intelligent automatic chain lubrication system extends service life. New saws Must be selected according to the characteristics specified in the instruction manual for the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
You need to know that chains with victorious surfacing are 3-5 times more expensive than ordinary chains, but it is impossible to sharpen them with your own hands when repairing a Stihl 180 chainsaw. This tool is used more often by employees of the Ministry of Emergencies.
For a long maintenance-free period, use the oil recommended by the tool manufacturer. A special mineral composition is used to prevent chain pitching. It is unacceptable to use oil intended for additive to gasoline for Stihl saws.
It is often asked if the Stihl 180 can be used for longitudinal cuts. Saw power allows you to cut wood only across the grain.
The price of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is significantly different. The most inexpensive basic model of the usual configuration. The cost of the device depends on the country of manufacture. A German or American product is more expensive than a Chinese one for obvious reasons.
How to untangle a chainsaw chain
When removing an old chain or putting a new chain on the guide bar of the chainsaw, it can become tangled. It can also happen with careless transportation. When the chain is tangled, it folds into rings.
Due to the lack of flexibility in the transverse direction, it is very difficult to untangle it with bare hands, because when you try to untangle a ring, a new ring is formed in another place.
It is necessary to put the chainsaw chain on a horizontal surface and spin the rings in different directions, while pulling the blade in such a direction that the diameter of the rings increases. Sooner or later, the chain will unravel into its natural position.
There is another way. you can rivet an equal link of the chain and straighten it, then connect it into a ring and rivet the riveted links back.
Chainsaw repair in the Direct Hands service center.
In case you find a malfunction of the chainsaw or simply doubt the performance of the tool, please contact our workshop. We are a dealer and official service of Stihl in St. Petersburg and the Leningrad region. Our experts will make for you warranty and post-warranty repairs of the Stihl chainsaw.
The chain of the chainsaw together with the guide bar during operation experience the greatest stress, unlike other parts of the chainsaw. Over time, it lengthens in size due to boring gaps in the connecting links. This process occurs completely with all types of chains, therefore, when using a chainsaw, it is necessary to periodically monitor the correct tension of the chain and its wear.
Here are the chain states that depend:
- The length of her life;
- Safety of felling or timber breaking;
- ICE resource.
If the chain is overtightened, the efficiency of the sawing work decreases, and the motor and transmission are subjected to increased loads. The guide bar heats up a lot due to increased friction, the operating mode of the chainsaw goes into excessive consumption of the fuel mixture.
Compliance with instructions is the basis for long-term operation of the mechanism
Any tool, especially as complex as the Stihl 180 chainsaw, comes with an instruction manual. Before making the first start, it is necessary to study the technical manual. This is all the more relevant if you already have experience with the Druzhba saw. Other layout, chain tensioning, starting conditions and tool adjustments require prior knowledge. There are reports on the forums that the sawfly poured a candle at the first start. he pulled the starter repeatedly, you need:
- Move the lever to the extreme position;
- Pull the starter slowly. 2 times;
- Pull several times sharply and quickly.
To avoid problems, gasoline must be worked out to the end, Do not leave it “sour” in the tank for several days.
The operating instructions give a verbal definition of the markings on the tool body. There is also a description of the parts, the procedure for disassembling the Stihl 180 chainsaw for replacing nodes, sharpening the chain.
Warnings in the manner of working with a tool of increased danger, in a safe manner, will help to avoid injury. It is important, when changing the chain, be sure to check whether it is recommended by the manufacturer. Inconsistency of units can lead to breakdowns, failure to comply with the terms of warranty service.
Chainsaw Stihl mc 180. a quick overview of a reliable tool
Chainsaw Stihl mc 180. a tool designed for cutting wood in the transverse direction. The equipment belongs to the category of household appliances. The model differs from professional tools in the material of the working bodies and is designed for use periodically, no more than 40 minutes per work cycle.
Step-by-step installation algorithm
Not all modern chainsaws are equipped with a setting wheel, which greatly simplifies the procedure for installing the saw blade. Systems with a setting wheel are generally a rarity among household chainsaws. Therefore, it is very important to know the technology and sequence of installing the chain on the chainsaw.
Key points to note:
- Prepare a level surface on which you will assemble the chain and bar. This will minimize the chance of damage to the chainsaw or loss of small parts. A tire is laid out on the prepared surface and a parallel chain next to it.
- Remove the sprocket protection, on modern chainsaws it is enough Unscrew the wing nut, on older models, you may need an appropriate size spanner.
- In the base of the guide bar, the idler sprocket Turn all the way to the right. Only in this position is the chain installed.
- Then the chain is successively placed, link by link, on the fixing groove on the guide rail. We install the chain from the top of the guide, gradually turn it so that the tire is always on top and the chain is on the bottom, this will allow it to always be taut and fit into the guide groove without problems. Be sure to wear thick protective gloves when performing this step, as your fingers will touch the cutting edge. Viewed from above, the cutter is always forward towards the end of the guide bar.
- Put both the tire and the chain on the drive sprocket.
- Secure the chain sprocket cover in place. Make sure all mounting pins line up with the holes. Incorrect installation with distortions or incompletely may be a prerequisite for extraneous noise, rattling.
- Make sure that the guides “go” into the special mounting chute.
- After installation, check that the chain is secure on the chainsaw and on the bar. Everything must be securely fastened without backlash.
An important point is the degree of tension on the chain after installation. Setting the correct tension is very easy and will take no pain in three minutes. First you need to loosen the nuts on the protective cover. Using the freely rotating adjusting screw, catch the correct tension so that the chain does NOT pull more than 3-5 mm from the edge of the guide bar.
It remains only to tighten the nuts and check the tension. If correction is needed, adjust the tension again.
What is important to know: when the chain is in operation, due to the forces of friction, its metal heats up and expands, and the length increases. Therefore, it is important to regularly check the tension and correct it in time.
How to install the bar and chain on the chainsaw, see the following. Which presents a clear algorithm of actions:
Stihl chainsaw repair. Replacing the drive sprocket
Today we will briefly dwell on one of the most common malfunctions of the Stihl chainsaw. wear or breakage of the chain sprocket. It should be noted that this topic is familiar to almost any professional, and our publication is unlikely to seem interesting. First of all, we appeal to amateurs, summer residents, gardeners, people involved in landscaping. Below we will talk about what a chain sprocket is, what is its role in the mechanism of a chainsaw, how to replace it and give general recommendations for operation.
On. replacing the chain saw drive sprocket
Rivet setting machine
After disassembling and removing the chain element, the working links must be reconnected. For this purpose, a riveting machine is used. The assembly process takes place using a special work roller, which is driven by an electric motor.
The rivet is clamped between the stationary anvil and the work roll. The operator independently sets the pressure of the work roll using the adjusting screw. During the rotation of the roller, the edge of the rivet is gradually crushed, which makes it impossible to detach the links from each other.
Reference: the use of machines to shorten the chainsaw chain allows you to bring the build quality as close as possible to the factory sample. However, these devices have a rather high cost, and their purchase for home use is unprofitable. In addition, it is not always possible to use specialized devices right at the workplace. In this regard, you can shorten the tool at hand.
Reasons for chain stretching
A chainsaw chain, regardless of manufacturer, can stretch for several reasons:
- Incorrect operation of the oil pump. Insufficient oil supply leads to overheating of the chain and its rapid stretching.
- Natural wear and tear. Occurs as a result of prolonged use of the tool.
- Use of poor quality lubricant.
- Violation of the rules for operating a chainsaw.
Important: When detecting irregularities in the operation of the oil pump, it is necessary to eliminate the malfunctions, ensure the normal lubrication of the saw blade. Failure to do so may result in drive sprocket failure. You should also pay attention to the quality of the oil. The presence of various types of abrasive microparticles in the oil is not allowed.
Rivet Removing Machine
For disassembly, a specialized machine is used. Punch. The machine is designed as a small mechanical press. In its lower part, a removable anvil is installed, which has grooves of different sizes. The working rod of the device also has nozzles of different diameters. This makes it possible to use the machine for chains from different manufacturers. The rivet is removed by squeezing it out of the seat.
Tools that will be needed to shorten
You can correctly shorten the chainsaw chain with your own hands with the introduction of Special devices.
How to shorten a chainsaw chain with your own hands. procedure
Often during the operation of the chainsaw, the saw chain stretches, which makes it impossible to further use the tool. Today there are specialized workshops that provide services for shortening chainsaw chains, but it is possible to shorten the chainsaw chain with your own hands at home or right at the workplace.
Rivet removal methods without the use of specialized devices
There are several ways to remove rivets without using specialized tools:
- There are protrusions on emery. When using this method, it is necessary to control the degree of pressure on the rivet in order to avoid damage to the working parts.
- Cut with the cut-off wheel of an angle grinder. It should be borne in mind that in this case the metal heats up, which will affect its properties.
- Saw off the heads with a file or a file. With this method, the risk of link damage is minimized.
- Cut down with the introduction of a chisel. Before starting work, you will need to securely fasten the chain in a vice.
After the outer protrusions are completely cut off, you will need to knock the rivet out of the seat. To do this, you need to select a Punch, the diameter of which will correspond to the diameter of the hole. The punch must be placed on the rivet and knocked out with a sharp blow with a hammer. After performing THESE actions, the chain will be disconnected.
Caution: To avoid damage to the links, secure them securely. In addition, the punch should be installed strictly perpendicular to the rivet cut.
How to rivet a chainsaw chain
To assemble the chain, you will need to install a repair link on it. It must be borne in mind that its dimensions must strictly correspond to the dimensions of the working links. Installing a spare part with a different pitch or profile can damage the drive, driven sprocket and saw blade of the chainsaw.
The repair link is sold with rivets that you just need to fasten. To do this, place the chainsaw chain on an anvil. After that, he will guide the Punch on a new rivet and flatten the head with a sharp blow with a hammer. Riveting is necessary until the resulting thickening does NOT cover the hole in the outer plate.
When flattening, control the degree of clamping of the side plates. After assembly, the installed link should move freely along the axis. Installing a chain with a jammed link on a chainsaw is not allowed. Failure to follow this rule can lead to more serious damage to the device.
Some people use electric arc welding machines for assembly. In this case, the rivet edges are welded to the outer link plates. The use of electric welding involves heating the metal to a high temperature. As a result of overheating, the properties of the metal change, it becomes less wear-resistant.
Recommendation: after assembling and installing the part on the chainsaw, you need to check its performance with a minimum load. Only in case of normal operation can the load be increased.
From the information described above, it follows that chain stretching on a chainsaw is a fairly common phenomenon. It is quite possible to shorten the chain at home, you just have to enlist the traditional tools, which are available to almost every owner.