How to properly wind a trimmer line on a grass trimmer: step-by-step guide and video instructions
A beautiful lawn will look really well-maintained only if the grass is regularly mowed. The grass trimmer is best suited for handling difficult areas. Any owner of the unit sooner or later will be faced with the solution of the problem, how to wind the line for the trimmer on the spool, because from the wrong actions can not only worsen the quality of mowing, but also to withdraw the equipment from failure. Today in our Homius review we will tell you about all the ways and nuances of replacing the fishing line and the peculiarities of the choice of consumable material.
Grass trimmer is convenient for mowing small or difficult areas, such as near hedges, between beds and along paths. Today, manufacturers produce a large variety of gasoline, electric and battery models, which can be selected to suit any needs of owners.
The grass trimmer uses a trimmer line as the cutting element of the grass trimmer. In the process of work, sooner or later its length will run out, and then the owner will face the question of how to properly replace and fix the thread, tucked into the removable spool.
What to consider when choosing a line
Before you insert and fix the line for the trimmer in the removable grass trimmer spool, it is important to choose the right material.
Rating of the best models of gasoline trimmer for grass. An overview of manufacturers and models, as well as useful tips from the experts reviewed in this review will help in the difficult choice among the many models of devices.
Before you put a grass trimmer line on your trimmer, you need to pay attention to the cross-section of the cord:
- Round section filaments are the most common option. They are great for mowing grass, even in difficult areas;
- A line for trimmers with a spiral cross section is suitable for thin grass. It is not very strong and will not be suitable for old thickets;
- Cord with jagged and sharp edges are chosen for mowing weeds;
- Line for trimmer with a variety of geometric sections will help mow the lawn more evenly, but the strength of the consumable material is not high.
Important! The most wear-resistant consumable material is a two-component trimmer line with a round section, reinforced on the inside.
The owner of the brushcutter should know that it is categorically impossible to use wire made of metal, fishing line and a variety of strings.
Rating of the best electric trimmers for grass. In this review, we will analyze the criteria for choosing an electric trimmer, technical characteristics, as well as the most popular models and brands according to consumer reviews.
Before the reel of the grass trimmer to wind the thread, you should pay attention to its size. Most often use fishing line for trimmer with a cross-section of 2 mm.
You can find the right diameter in the following ways:
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions for your trimmer.
- Often manufacturers put information about the section on the bobbin.
- The diameter of the filament should match the diameter of the bobbin hole.
Important! The thicker the thread is tucked in, the tougher the grass it can mow.
Features of trimmer application
Grass trimmer mowing grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, beds and flower beds, row-spacing on the garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device as a grass trimmer exists in several variations:
As is clear from the names, the types of grass trimmers differ markedly from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, its cutting element may be a line for the trimmer. Of course, the line set in the grass trimmer reel is not endless. And sooner or later it will be necessary to replace it with a new one.
The consumption of fishing line directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the scale of the work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with the grass trimmer, the more the trimmer line is used. And consequently, the faster it will run out. This begs the question: how to tuck the line for your trimmer into the grass trimmer reel?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But the winding of the fishing line on the spool plays an important role in the work of the trimmer for grass. In order for the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line for the trimmer on the spool. On how to change the line for the trimmer on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
What line for the trimmer to choose
Before you stock up on this material to fill in the trimmer for grass, you need to decide on the choice. There are many other types of trimmer blades available, but the conventional round line is not the only one. How to choose the most suitable? First you need to determine the working conditions.
Choice of type. A line for trimmer with a circular cross-section is the most common. It fits on all spools, with a few exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for cutting fresh, succulent grass. But here with the mowing of so-called dead wood, this kind can no longer cope. On attempts to mow bushes with this line it is pointless to even mention.
In addition to the usual type, there are others that have sharp edges. They are usually of the “star” or “square” type. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and the key distinction of these filaments.
Precisely because of this feature, these types of threads are able to mow dry weeds. But spiked filaments are not without disadvantages, the main of which are fast wear and tear and the strength, which is noticeably inferior to round type.
In addition to the already mentioned types of lines, there are other interesting and frequently encountered varieties. Particularly noteworthy among them are fishing lines, inside of which there is a metal wire. Threads of this type are often used in tools that run on gasoline and have an engine more than one and a half horsepower.
Threads with a metal core come in both circular and sharp-edged types. Regardless of the cross-sectional type, such yarns are best suited for overcoming hard-to-cut plants. Not only dry grass, but also small bushes and shrubs can be mowed with ease.
Filaments with a wire inside compare favorably to other types of consumables by their incredible durability. But unfortunately, this peculiarity has more than a noticeable influence on the price of this type. The cost of core filaments is significantly higher than other types of filaments.
Choosing by thickness
In addition, special attention should be paid to the thickness of the consumable. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter in the range of one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and coarser the weeds it can handle.
When choosing a line by thickness, there is one “but”. It’s important not just to evaluate the capabilities of the material, but also to consider the features of the grass trimmer. It is necessary to look in the user’s manual, which is attached to the tool, and find information about the requirements to the cutting element.
Using the wrong thread can cause the tool to malfunction. Using too thick a thread will overload the trimmer‘s motor. And using too fine a thread will increase the wear and tear on the spool mechanism many times over.
That’s why you should choose the consumable as responsibly as you do when putting it in the grass trimmer. When a suitable fishing line for the trimmer has been found and purchased, you can begin to consider how to wind it on the spool.
You can watch the video
A Little Tip. Take care not to let your hair come in contact with hard objects while trimming. This contact will cut the trimmer line. And since the grass trimmer doesn’t come with this trimmer automatically, you’ll have to stop work each time, remove the spool, and release the trimmer line again.
It is stored on top of the grass trimmer body.
Spare spools for storage
It is very easy to install such a trimmer line in the reel. on the inner circle inside the spool. Insert the center of the hair growth line with the metal attachment at the top of the spool and pull the ends of the hair growth line along the grooves and out.
Reinforced line for trimmer
This reel is attached to the trimmer as well as to the regular hair reel.
Winding the fishing line
Filling the fishing line into the grass trimmer bobbin is a relatively simple procedure, provided you follow a certain algorithm of actions. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material are enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the sides. Once you have determined the length of the cord, follow these instructions:
- Fold the consumable in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Charging should begin with the center curb, which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine which direction you want to wind the line on the trimmer. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription on it. It indicates the winding side. If there are no markings on the spool, look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind it up in the opposite direction.
- Wind the consumable material carefully, coil to coil. Try to keep the filament as taut as possible.
- After you finish laying the cord, attach the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the spool that fits the diameter. Attach the second end (longer), in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- After securing the trimmer line, cut the ends. Do not forget to leave a seam allowance of about 10 cm.
- Set the threaded bobbin to the mowing head of the device. This is done by alternately inserting and pulling the thread into the output holes of the head to place the bobbin of the device into the skin.
- Pull the cord out of the locking slots with the required force, and tighten the material. Once this action is complete, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
You can also wind the cord onto the grass trimmer in another way, which charges two pieces of material instead of one. The replacement is done this way:
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- At the bottom of the bobbin there should be a hole, which is designed to fix the line. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow up to the desired level that does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- Do the same for the second cell of the bobbin.
- Assembling the head of the device is similar to the first method.
How to quickly remove the spool from the tool
Before the thread is spooled onto the spool, it must be removed. How to remove it depends on the nature of the tool. On trimmers with a motor near the ground itself, the spool has two side buttons that, when pressed, detach part of the body along with the filament winding device.
On tools with a bent bar, move the knob on the attachment counterclockwise; when it is disconnected, both the bobbin and the spring inside it are removed. On trimmers with a straight shaft, fix it with a screwdriver, rotate it clockwise and remove it. Then the device is disassembled either with the help of latches or by moving its parts in different directions. Remove the spring from the spool.
Which fishing line to choose?
In order for the threading of the line into the trimmer head to be successful, it is important not to miscalculate the choice of consumables. The thicker you thread the cord, the thicker and harder the grass it can cut. Often a universal line for trimmers, which is 2 mm in diameter, is used. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Check the manual provided with your trimmer for information on line thickness.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes it has information about the possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try to insert a cord into the outlet. If it will easily pass into it, then the chosen diameter of the line is suitable for use.
Grass trimmer reel
You can choose filament according to the type of motor. If the line for the trimmer will be too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. the motor in this case will overheat a lot and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm cord is fine. If you can’t find it, you can use 1.6 mm trimmer fishing line. If the power is more than 1 kW, then choose a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- For gasoline grass trimmers, it is the shaft mower that matters. For the bent version is often used a cord of 2 mm. If the shaft is straight, then install a 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm cord. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cross-section of the cord as well. Some popular options:
- The most common lines with a round section. They mow fresh grasses well, but do less well with shrubs, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated string with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow the lawn more evenly with rectangular, star or square grass trimmer fishing line, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest cord is a two-part cord with an inner core and a circular cross section.
Types of line for grass trimmer
Note that wire, metal cords and ropes, as well as ordinary fishing line should not be used instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous to both the user and those around them. So the rope or similar products will gradually start to work, resulting in their ends unraveling, and the small pieces disperse with great speed.
Block: 3/6 | characters: 2323
How does the line head on the brushcutter work Why do you need to know the principle of operation?
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a compression spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble a grass trimmer head without a spring, i.e.е. on the manual trimmer head. The principle of disassembly of a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instructions.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- Inside the head is a spool, which is planted on the splines, preventing its free movement
- The reel is acted upon by a spring that presses it against the slits in the cover structure
- On the tip is wound a fishing line for the trimmer, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Usually it is between 1 and 4 meters
- If the length of the fishing line needs to be increased, the protruding part of the reel is pressed during the operation, so that it becomes disengaged from the slots. In doing so, the line for the trimmer is reeled off the reel, increasing in length
- After releasing the necessary amount of fishing line, you should release the clamp, and continue mowing the grass
The advantage of a tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, as compared to metal discs. over, if a stone or wood gets in the way the line for trimmer simply comes off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and the device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to the consideration of the process of threading the fishing line into the grass trimmer spool. After all, it is this point that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
Block: 4/8 | Characters number: 1782
How the line head works on the brushcutter Why you need to know the principle of operation
Depending on the manufacturer, heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most reels have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above are instructions on how to disassemble the grass trimmer head without the spring, t.е. on a manual trimmer head. The principle of disassembling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the above instruction.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a spool, which is mounted on slits preventing its free movement
- A spring acts on the spool, which presses it to the slits in the design of the cover
- A line for the trimmer is wound on the lead, the length of which depends on the tool itself. It is usually between 1 and 4 meters long
- During work, if the length of the line needs to be increased, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, by which it is disengaged from the slots. At the same time, the line for the trimmer is reeled off the reel, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of line, release the hold-down and continue mowing
The advantage of a tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening as compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or wood gets in the way, the line for the trimmer is simply torn off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as it happens in the case of metal cutting discs.
Knowing the construction and design of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to proceed to consider the process of threading the line into the grass trimmer reel. Because this is the point most special tool owners have trouble with.
Block: 4/8 | characters: 1782
Grass trimmer line winding
Measured and accurate removal of the bobbin from the grasshopper reel allows you to proceed directly to winding the line. The design features of the head, the number and location of fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions in this operation, as well as determine the methods used. Today there are several varieties of spools, depending on the number of fishing line tendrils and methods of filling it:
Grass trimmer reel with single tendril
Many owners and experts note the ease of operation and threading a reel with a single whisker. Depending on the manufacturer, the line can be between 2 and 5 meters long. In the head, the end of the line is inserted in a special technological groove or hole, and winding is performed in the opposite direction to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most reels have marks on the outside of the body in the form of arrows that indicate the direction of movement of the trimmer reel for grass.
After winding, you need to leave a loose end 15-30 cm to increase the centrifugal force, which is the determining factor when retrieving trimmer lines in automatic and semi-automatic spools. We put the left end through the working hole of the spool and assemble the head.
Trimmer head with two arms
After removing the bobbin from the spool body, we determine the number of thread winding spools (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between coils with one and two grooves, but in case of careless spooling into the paired groove there are problems with operation. Because of the possibility of intertwining of neighboring lines of the tool it may be impossible to retrieve new wires after the wires have worn out.
Regardless of the number of threads, a trimmer line between 1.5 to 3 meters. Winding must be done in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, because winding along the motion will result in the line for the trimmer not being extracted from the bobbin. Once the line for the trimmer is tucked into the grass trimmer reel the loose ends (15-30 cm) are pushed through the special holes. Then you assemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check its performance. No need to worry if the ends of the two tendrils differ greatly in size, because when starting the grass trimmer, the blade mounted on the protection will cut off the excess.
Grass trimmer head with automatic line winding
Some models on the market have a spool with an automatic winding mechanism. The owner only needs to correctly tuck and lock the ends in the head, and the winding operation will be performed by the tool itself when it is turned on in operating mode. Incorrect winding of lines for grass trimmer with such a head is almost impossible, as the spool itself determines the position of the tendrils. The advantages of an automatic grass trimmer head include the ease of filling the line, while the disadvantages include frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of the design and the high cost.
Block: 3/3 | Number of characters: 3075
How to wind a line for a trimmer on a grass trimmer spool?
The second method is a little more difficult to perform on your own.
Wind the grass trimmer cord in the following order:
- First cut off about 6 m of cord from the total, and bend it. In this case, one of the parts must be slightly larger than the second;
- Then the place where it was bent thread will need to insert the thread into the recess located on the dividing edge between the two sections of the bobbin. As a result, the first part of the segment should be in the upper, and the second. in the lower section of the bobbin;
- After that, you need to start winding the line. This should be done in the direction of the arrow indicated on the body of the bobbin. The cord must not become entwined while winding. The upper part of the piece should be gently wound onto the upper section, and the lower part should be wound onto the lower section of the spool. After that there should be two 15 cm sections of cord left free;
- Next, the remaining ends will need to be inserted into the notches located at the top of the bobbin;
- Then the secured ends need to be slipped into the through holes of the grass trimmer’s mowing head.
At the end you need to connect all parts of the mowing head, and pull out each end of the line a little. The finished spool will need to be installed on the grass trimmer and continue working on the site.
How to tuck the line for trimmer in the grass trimmer reel?
The third method is suitable for threading single section mower spools.
All actions should be performed in the following order:
- First of all, you will need to disassemble the mowing head, after which you need to clean it of grass, small debris, and remnants of old cord;
- Then it is necessary to cut about 10 m of new line from the total amount and bend it in half. As a result, one hand should hold both ends of the line and the place where it is bent;
- After that, you need to find the notch in the bobbin. In a one-piece mowing head, it is placed on top or at the bottom. Next to the notch should be an arrow that indicates in which direction to wind the cord;
- Then start winding the line. During assembly, the line for the trimmer must not kink or hang down. Otherwise it will constantly pop off the spool;
- After winding the cord in the hands of the operator should remain 2 ends, 10-15 cm long;
- These ends should be slipped into the through holes located in the side walls of the top of the spool, opposite each other;
- Then reassemble the spool. In doing so, its spring must fit exactly between the two metal washers.
After mounting the single section coil on the commercial grass trimmer you can continue mowing the field.
Coiling up the line
Slowly completing the disassembly of the bobbin spool without losing any of its parts allows you to move on to the main task of winding the line into the bobbin. Technological features of the bobbin design and the number of working tendrils determine the sequence of operations.
Reel with one spool pin
The simplest variant and uncomplicated sequence of actions:
- Dimensions of the reel and length of the original factory reel determine the recommended length of line for winding. 25 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located inside the bobbin.
- The line for the trimmer is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the turn of the bobbin on the trimmer product. as a rule an arrow on the inner side of the reel shows in which direction the line is wound.
- A small part of line is left free to be wound outside. it is fixed in a special groove on the inside of the bobbin to hold the bobbin winding when it is assembled in working position.
- The leftover end of the fishing line is passed through the hole of the outer part of the bobbin.
- Bobbin halves are assembled and slid onto the trimmer bar.
Reel with two operating tendrils
In this type of bobbin, you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line lying on the inside of the spool:
For both cases you take a line for a trimmer with a length of 2-3 m. In single-strand spools, the line for the trimmer is pulled through the through hole, its ends (tendrils) are folded together and aligned, then winded in the opposite direction of rotation of the bobbin on the rod. an arrow inside usually indicates the correct winding direction. If there are locking slots the ends of the line are pulled through or held with fingers of free hand, put it through the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, bobbin is closed and fastened to the shaft of the trimmer.
The difference in the winding of the fishing line in dual-channel spools consists in the fact that initially a piece of line with a length of 2-5 m is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and a loop of the fold is inserted in a special groove between the grooves. Both line tendrils are wound each on their own groove, fixing the tendrils and reel assembly is similar to the single groove version discussed above.
The first performance of this procedure may seem long and quite laborious, but with time and experience, this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show you how to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer spool and wind it correctly. this operation is not anything complicated and with some patience is sure to succeed:
After the cutting line has worn out as a result of the work, turn off the mower and remove the cover on the mowing head. Pull the fishing line out of the slot, pulling it out to the desired length, and reinsert it into the slots. The amount of material wound on the spool is enough for 5-10 cycles of work, depending on the model of the device. When you will install the cover in place, look carefully, no clogged slots, where inserted the clips, if they are clogged, then carefully clean them.
When the trimmer line is worn out, you need to disassemble the mowing head again, pull out the spool and rewind the working trimmer line on it.
the grass trimmer is the most common tool used for cutting grass and small bushes. This machine is notable for its ease of maintenance, easy operation during work, and thanks to its low weight even women can cope with it. It’s no secret that high-quality mowing work requires the right cutting attachment. As the latter, trimmers use special cutting nozzles (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with a fishing line inside. Trimmer nozzles and fishing line are consumable tools, but while knives can be sharpened, when the line is used up it needs to be replaced. In this article, we will tell you in maximum detail how to correctly replace the line for the trimmer.
How to remove the spool and change the line for the trimmer
Owners of trimmers, mainly beginners, get confused, bordering on panic, when it becomes necessary to change cutting tools or line for a trimmer in a reel. Very often when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply cause it to fail, unaware that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before you tuck the line for the trimmer into the reel, turn off the brushcutter engine or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries that can occur when accidentally starting the cutting tool rotation.
- Unscrew the sleeve secured to the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be secured by aligning the holes on the washer and shaft and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver.