Removing the spool from the trimmer
Now we will consider the issue of removing the hairpin from different types of trimmer:
- The bottom motor powered conveyor has two buttons on the sides. With one press of two buttons, you will need to detach one part of the gas station from the other. Simultaneously with the first half, remove the inner part, on which the core is wound.
Important! When doing the described manipulations, you need to be extremely careful so that the inner spring does not accidentally fly out and rub. This small detail is a very important “link” in helping to pull the line onto the roller.
- The body of an electric and gasoline conveyor with a bent metal rod should be wrapped around with one hand, and the other hand should be moved counterclockwise the electronic lamb. This small piece connects the reel to the trimmer bar. After removing the lamb, it is necessary to remove the entire coil, while holding the inner spring with your fingers.
- For an electric and ashless conveyor with a straight bar, you need to find a recess under the bobbin, insert, for example, a screwdriver into it, and slowly rotate it until the tool goes deeply and the roller is fully fixed. Next, turn the coil slowly clockwise (due to the left-hand thread) and remove it from the conveyor. Then you will need to disassemble the bobbin, assembled by snaps or twisted into a lamb. If you have a snap-on roller, then you need to push the latch on the sides to release the two parts of the part. After that, you should unscrew the lamb.
What is a trimmer?
So let’s take a look at the trimmer varieties. They are of two types:
- Electrically powered.
- Gas tank fed.
Fishing line or knife. perform a cutting function in this device. In turn, the nylon thread can be as follows:
- Ordinary thread.
- With four or five faces.
- Intertwined (looks like a pigtail).
But a knife in a lawn mower can be:
According to the material of manufacture, knives are divided into:
Line feed from a reel is:
- Manual type.
- With automatic feeding.
Important! The ranking of the most bought electric lawn mowers is as follows:
- Iron angel.
- What is a trimmer?
- How to choose a fishing line?
- Removing the spool from the trimmer
- How to wind the line on the reel of a lawn mower?
Modern power tools help to facilitate human labor several times. So, for example, thanks to the trimmer, you do not have to mow the grass by hand, and the lawn will quickly and effortlessly become well-groomed and beautiful. For some people, a trimmer can help turn tough physical work into real fun. But what to do when the main cutting material runs out? Agree, not every person will immediately understand how to properly thread the line onto the reel of a lawn mower. For each type of coil, a corresponding nylon thread is needed and the replacement rules are completely different. Today we will consider all these issues in more detail.
How to choose a fishing line?
For each trimmer power, the developers accurately calculate the nylon thread diameter and the number of blades for the corresponding knife. Otherwise, the motor of the power tool will be severely overloaded, which will lead to its breakdown. Unknowingly, an overpayment for consumables will be provided to you. That is why the choice of line for your trimmer must be treated responsibly in order to keep costs to a minimum.
At the very beginning, you need to purchase the appropriate line. It is sold in skeins up to 120 meters long, and its diameter will be indicated in the detailed instructions for your trimmer.
Here’s what to look for when choosing a line and trimming it:
- Most often, a 2 mm conductor is used for mowing grass with a trimmer. For mowing soft and young grass, it is enough to take a thin line, the diameter of which is 1.5–1.8 mm. But on more powerful lawn mowers you need to reel thicker fishing line.
- Do not forget to pay attention to the structure of the vein. For example, round cord is considered the most durable and copes well even with the toughest weeds. But the vein of a curly configuration is more suitable for young or twisted grass. A thread with notches along its entire length can only work with thin stems.
- The minimum length for one threading of nylon thread into the mower spool is 2-4 meters, depending on its diameter and the manufacturer’s recommendations. For example, if you wind too much line on the bobbin, then its movement will be difficult, and in the process of mowing the grass, you will notice new ends of excess material.
- It is advisable to buy only approved companies. which are listed in the recommendations of your mowing appliance. It must be made of high quality material and have good durability. it is good to “mow” the lawn and not wear out very quickly.
In order to increase the elasticity and strength of the cord, place the purchased thread in water for 30 minutes. Thanks to such actions, it will be difficult for you to break even the thinnest core.
How to tuck line into the trimmer reel. lawn mowers?
How to wind the line on the reel of a lawn mower?
Steps for a roller with one tendril:
- To begin with, we unwind from 2 to 4 meters of nylon thread. Its length depends on the size of your coil.
- We find a hole on the inside of the roller. which fixes the vein. We insert one end of the nylon thread into it and begin to carefully wind it in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the device. Sometimes an arrow is drawn on the inside of the spool indicating the direction of winding the line.
- After part of the core is already on the coil, we leave the rest of it (5-10 cm) free to expose it outside.
- We fix the tip of the core in a special groove (groove). You will find it on the inside of the coil. If you do not have such a groove holding the cord, then you need to hold the line with your finger.
- Now we take the outer part of the coil. we slowly pass a segment of the “hanging” core into the existing hole. The nylon thread is now wound on the bobbin.
- We put the roller on the conveyor.
Steps for a roller with two antennae:
- We look at the inside of the bobbin. determining the number of grooves for the core. The coil can have either one groove or two. Two antennae are wound along one hole at the same time. And a tendril is wound on a bobbin with two holes, which must travel along a separate groove. The roller with one groove has one through groove, along which the line slides.
- We rewind 4 meters of a new nylon thread. we pass it through a double hole so that the line segments from each part are the same.
- Now we wind the two ends of the core in a single direction, which should coincide with the direction of the pointer drawn inside the coil (arrows).
- We leave a small part of the core for stock. We fix its ends in the grooves.
- Slide the 2 ends of the cord into the groove on the outside of the roller.
- We collect all the components of the roller and attach it to the trimmer bar.
String Trimmer Line Installation Instructions
Important! If the conveyor has two grooves, then you need to fold the section of the core in half, and insert the loop obtained at the bend into the groove that is located between the two grooves. After that, both cuts of the line should be wound simultaneously, each in its own “way”. All further actions should be done in the same way as the above instructions.
Actions for a roller with a core threaded through a double-sided hole located on the inside:
- We thread the ends of the new nylon thread through the hole on the outside of the roller without winding.
- We collect the reel and press the button for further release of the core as it gradually wears out. When you rotate this button, the line itself winds inside the bobbin.
Important! If you do such winding often, then you can wind the nylon thread without disassembling the drum. To do this, you just need to combine the double-sided groove of the inner part with the grooves of the inner roller body, and then thread the same fishing line through them.
As you can see, it is quite possible to wind the core on the trimmer coil yourself. The winding technique depends on the type of your lawn mower and on the design of the reel itself. Below we offer you a video that will help you better understand the whole process and perform high-quality line refueling in your device.
Beginning fishermen, due to their inexperience, pay little attention to the choice of a rod and tackle, but the right equipment is the key to the success of fishing. Usually, spools are purchased with a spool size from 2000 to 3000, which can accommodate 100 meters of line with a number from 0.2 to 0.3 mm.
In addition to their size, they differ from each other in the way they are wound on a bobbin. You can wind the line on the trimmer spool with straight, cylindrical or tapered laying, it all depends on the model. It is also worth paying attention to the country of origin of fishing tackle. If the reel is of Chinese origin, from a cheap series, then always be prepared for line tangling during casts and the occurrence of “beards”, in addition, the cheap option fails quickly enough and requires repair or replacement.
With high-quality winding, fluorocarbon should form a strictly parallel stacking relative to the spool with a direct winding method, and inclined with a tapered.
What should be the length of the working thread
It all depends on the method of fishing and the reservoir. If a small length of line is required for fishing, then it should be less; if a long cast is required, then more fluorocarbon is needed. For a quick change in the field, every angler should know how to change the line on the trimmer. If the spool of the reel is deep, then approximately two-thirds must be filled with a cheaper thread, and the remaining part should be wound with working fluorocarbon, which is necessary directly for fishing. The reel should consist of a thinner line than the working line, this will increase the density and not fall through the main.
How to wind line on a trimmer
During winding, the handle of the reel should be turned smoothly, without jerks and at high speeds. Care must be taken to ensure that the thread lies in straight parallel lines. Do not wind too thick line that is not intended for this reel.
Smoothly winding fluorocarbon, you should pay attention to how much is left to the side. The optimal distance is 2 mm from the top layer to the edge of the side.
How to wind line on a trimmer: examples and recommendations
As a rule, before going fishing, it is necessary to check all the tackle, the reliability of the connecting loops and the sharpness of the hooks. But do not forget about the backing, which is wound on a reel, because the success of fishing in general will depend on how you wind the line around the trimmer. Incorrectly wound, it can lead to a “beard”, which is difficult to untangle and which takes a huge amount of precious time, the casting distance can be significantly reduced, and in general in such a situation it is better not to fish.
How to properly attach the thread to the trimmer
Winding the line to the trimmer. it’s a simple matter, but it requires some skill. First you need to firmly attach the reel to the rod. Then pass one end of the fluorocarbon through all the ears of the rod and fasten it to the spool. To do this, you need to raise the bow of the coil, wrap the fishing line around and tie with an Arbor knot.
If the thread is stiff or thick, then before winding it should be immersed in warm water, after this procedure it will become more elastic and lie smoother. When winding, it is desirable that there is an assistant who would hold the bobbin with the fishing line. In the process, you should slightly slow down the fluorocarbon with your finger or a soft cloth.
Every fisherman must know how to wind the line on the trimmer and what is backing. Backing is a reel spool reel. For this, a thread with a diameter of 0.1 to 0.3 mm is often used. If you use a thicker fluorocarbon as a reel, it can lead to uneven and uneven laying of the main line. It is highly undesirable to use wet materials for backing, such as nylon and cotton threads. They are unable to dry completely for a long time, which leads to debate, and the replacement of the line on the trimmer. these are additional financial costs.
The amount of thread required for backing can only be determined empirically. This requires two spools. The required amount of working line is first wound onto one, and then the backing is wound in such a way that two millimeters remain to the edges of the side. After this procedure, the spool with wound fluorocarbon is removed and an empty one is put on, on which the thread is wound, only in the reverse order. Backing first, then working nylon.
Storing nylon thread on a spool
How to wind the line on the trimmer. sorted it out, now let’s talk about storing fishing tackle, in particular fluorocarbon on the spool. For a long service life of the thread, you should adhere to several rules, the implementation of which allows you to save money on the purchase of new equipment.
It is important to remember that after fishing, the line and parts of the reel get wet, they should be well dried. Poorly dried fluorocarbon melts very quickly and becomes unusable. It becomes brittle and can break at the most crucial moment. To prevent this from happening, after seasonal fishing, the line from the reel should be rolled up and spread on the floor so that it dries well. This procedure should be carried out with backing (reeling). You can dry the nylon thread after each fishing trip if you go to it once a month.
You already know how to change the line on the trimmer, it shouldn’t be too difficult. Always store your fishing tackle in a dry place, this will guarantee reliability and durability.
Features of the use of trimmers
A trimmer that mows grass with a fishing line can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, flower beds and flower beds, row spacing in a garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device, like a trimmer, exists in several variations:
As the names suggest, trimmer types differ markedly from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, a fishing line can be its cutting element. Of course, the line tucked into the trimmer reel is not endless. And sooner or later you will need to replace it with a new one.
Line consumption directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the scale of the work performed. The more grass is cut and the more often it is trimmed with the trimmer, the more active the line is used in it. And, accordingly, the faster it will end. In this regard, the question arises: how to thread the line into the trimmer spool?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But the winding of the line on the reel plays an important role in the trimmer operation. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line onto the reel. How to change the line on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
Trimmer head with automatic line threading
Trimmer head types
Some models on the market have a reel with an automatic winding mechanism. It is enough for the owner to properly thread and fix the ends in the head, and the winding operation will be performed by the tool itself when it is turned on. It is almost impossible to wind the line incorrectly into a trimmer with such a head, since the coil independently determines the position of the antennae. The advantages of an automatic trimmer head include ease of threading the line, and the disadvantages are frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of the design and high cost.
To change or wind the cutting thread on the spool, it must be removed.
The complexity of its removal depends on the model of the tool:
- Low motor tool. The motor is almost at the ground here. To remove the coil, press the buttons on the side of the trimmer. After pressing these buttons, the body opens where the line spool is located.
- Curved bar trimmer. Here it is necessary to turn a special lamb counterclockwise. Then the coil and the spring in it are removed.
- Straight bar tool. The bar is held motionless with a screwdriver or other object. It is removed by turning it clockwise. Then the tool is disassembled into parts and the reel is taken out.
- If you use a tool with one tendril, you will need about four meters of thread. This thread is passed into a hole inside the spool, where it can be fixed. Next, one end of the line is directed in the direction of the arrow. Then the end of this thread is fixed in the groove, which is in the bobbin. This is to prevent the thread from unwinding when assembling the spool. If there are no grooves, you should hold the line with your hand and collect the bobbin.
- If a tool with two antennae is used, then first check the number of grooves present.
If the reel is equipped with a semi-automatic mechanism, then the line is wound as follows:
- The thread is threaded through the hole that is inside;
- Fix the ends of the thread in the grooves on the body.
- The coil is assembled and a special button is pressed;
- After which the line itself begins to dangle in the right direction.
It should always be remembered that the cutting thread must be protected from hard things. This will extend its lifespan.
If you do not adhere to this rule, then you will have to often stop work, remove the spool and change the thread to a new one.
Winding the line to the trimmer
Measured and accurate dismantling of the spool from the spit coil makes it possible to go directly to the winding of the line. The design features of the head, the number and location of the fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions when performing this operation, and also determine the methods used. Today there are several types of reels, depending on the number of line antennae and the methods of threading it:
- Trimmer head with one working mustache;
- A bobbin with two line antennae;
- Auto winding reel.
How to catch more fish?
- One-string. In the modification of this trimmer there is only one working line. This unit is used mainly for small jobs, such as trimming the grass.
- Two-stringed. They can be both automatic and semi-automatic. The package here includes two strings. This trimmer is used for mowing and clearing areas.
Instructions for correctly winding the cutting thread onto the trimmer spool:
- First of all, you need to disassemble the head. To do this, press the latch and turn the cover to the side. Next, the spool is removed.
- Measure out the required amount of cutting thread and insert it into the slot.
- Wind the line on both sides in the direction of the arrow.
- Leave the ends 15 cm long uncoiled.
- These ends fit into opposite slots.
- Then the ends are fixed in the hole on the head.
- After that, the spool is carefully inserted into the body, for this you need to slightly press on it.
- If necessary, you can pull the remaining ends of the thread out. To do this, you first need to pull one end of the thread, and then the other so that they can easily pass through the slots on the head.
- Now you need to collect the grooves on the body and screw the cover.
- Then press the spool and try to twist it all the way. If you hear a click, then the spool has clicked.
- Next, you need to pull the free ends of the thread to the end.
Preparation for winding the line
Before the winding process, it is necessary to remove the spool with line from the body. Depending on the manufacturer, power and type (electric or gasoline), there are three design types of trimmers:
- Compact Power Trimmers.
Straight bar trimmer
This model provides the ability to install a knife. Removing the coil in such models is done by means of two keys recessed into the coil body. To mount the trimmer knife, it is necessary to align the hole of the reel and the rod, and then insert the device in the form of a steel pin (screwdriver, iron bar). After fixing the coil, the body can be easily unscrewed by hand in a clockwise direction.
A few tips for properly threading the string into the trimmer
- If the coil allows you to wind fifteen meters of thread, then you should not wind so much, ten is enough, that is, if you fold it in two layers, you get five meters. With a different line capacity, you should use the same rule.
- In the case when an ordinary round thread is used, it is better that it be 3.3 mm in diameter. If this is a curly fishing line, then its thickness should be less, for example, 3 mm.
- It is better to wind both segments of the fishing line on the spool at once, and it is necessary to start from its bend. It is important not to overlap in the direction of the arrow. It is also important to be able to pull the thread perfectly. If the thread is over-tightened, then it can overlap. If not reached, it can twist. In order not to cut your hands on the curly thread yourself, you should wind it with gloves.
- No need to leave the ends of the line long. This can cause it to curl.
How to wind the line onto the trimmer spool
At first glance, threading a line into the reel of a tool is not an easy task. But it is enough to carefully study this process. and in the future, all the necessary actions will be performed without any difficulties.
It is worth reading this guide to find out how to tuck the line into the trimmer. The step-by-step instructions below take into account the peculiarities of the coils of different types of trimmers, therefore, it is applicable to any tool.
So, the procedure is as follows.
- The line spool is the bottom end of the trimmer. First of all, of course, you need to remove this head from the device. To do this, you need to fix the rod (or, in other words, the shaft) on which the coil is attached. It is required to fix it in such a way that it does not scroll. The easiest way to do this is by placing a kind of stupor (preferably metal) between the shaft threads through a special hole. When the shaft is fixed, the spool can be unscrewed.
- At this stage, you have to remove the bobbin from the head, on which the fishing line is attached. To do this, you need to disassemble the head into elements. To do this, you first need to find a retainer on its body. It is located on the circumference of the product and is like a button. When the latch is found, you need to press it firmly. Keeping the latch pressed, turn the head cover clockwise. Then you need to remove the cover and remove the bobbin.
- A tight spring is placed between the bobbin and the head. It needs to be put aside for a while so that it does not interfere with the winding process. Before proceeding with the step of winding the line, it is necessary to inspect the bobbin. If there are remnants of old fishing line on it, they must be removed. When the bobbin is cleaned, you can start preparing a new bobbin.
- From a previously prepared skein of new fishing line, it is necessary to measure and cut off six (maximum. seven) meters. Keep the bobbin close at hand.
At this point, the key stage actually begins, which this article is devoted to.