What can be used instead of fishing line
Many users of trimmers ask themselves the question: what can be used to replace the default cord used in this kind of machines? Begin unsafe experiments by installing metal or copper wires, metal ropes or strings, and ordinary fishing line in the mowing head.
If you install a metal cable instead of a fishing line, the trimmer turns into a dangerous device Not only for the user, but also for others. This fact is explained by the fact that during the operation of the unit, the steel cable will gradually work, its ends will unravel, and small pieces of wire will fly in different directions at high speed.
And if you accidentally hook your or someone else’s leg while working with a steel cable (wire), then a strong and deep tissue incision, and in some cases amputation of your toes, is guaranteed. The manufacturer does NOT use nylon for THESE purposes in vain, since it is light and strong enough, and when it comes off it does not fly far and cannot cause injury.
Of course, you can use fishing line in the trimmers instead of the standard one, but this will add extra trouble to you, since it wears out quickly, breaks, mows slowly and is NOT suitable for cutting tough grass. In addition, when carrying out work, a lot of time is lost to replace the broken tool more than once.
In practice, the installation of a conventional line is justified if the user is going to mow the grass near the fence, especially if he is from the netting. In this case, in order to protect the standard, and sometimes expensive, line from wear and tear, it is changed to a fishing line, which is not a complaint. Usually, in order to change the line to the line, it must be selected at the Greatest thickness. 2-3 mm.
How to change the line to the trimmer
The trimmer is the most common machine used for cutting grass and small bushes. This device is distinguished by its simplicity in service, simple operation during operation, and due to its low weight, even women can handle it. It is no secret that the correct selection of cutting tools is required for high-quality performance of work on mowing grass. As the latter, special cutting attachments (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with a fishing line inside are used in trimmers. Nozzles and fishing line. This is a consumable tool, but if the knives can be sharpened, then when the line is consumed, it must be replaced. In this article we will tell you in as much detail as possible how to properly replace the fishing line.
Types of trimmer heads
The grass mowing head is a cylindrical body in which a spool (bobbin) is inserted with a fishing line (cord) tucked in it. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. The heads differ in the way of threading and feeding the cord and are of 3 types.
- Automatic. Cord feed is performed after the user Decreases engine RPM. Although the automatic line feed is convenient if a large amount of work is being done, there is one drawback in such bobbins. Great expense whining.
- Semi-automatic. The use of this type of heads does not require the user to perform complex manipulations. The principle of their operation is designed in such a way that the cord lengthens automatically while the apparatus is operating at full speed. It is enough to lightly hit the ground with the trimmer head (this removes the blocking of the cord), and the line is pulled out of the bobbin due to centrifugal force, after which it is cut to the required length with a knife located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, the device must be stopped, after which the line is pulled manually.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the most optimal option. It should also be borne in mind that the coils for the trimmer are single-string (used only for trimming the grass) and two-string, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, thin-stemmed bushes.
How to remove and disassemble a coil
Before starting the process of changing the cord, it becomes necessary for trimmer users to remove and disassemble the coil. Let’s see how to do it.
The trimmer mowing head consists of several parts: a cover, a spring (not on all models), a spool with a cord and a cover.
In trimmers, 2 options for mounting the mowing head are most often used.
Some reels have a second method of securing the cord: you can charge 2 pieces of yarn instead of one folded in half. The line is replaced according to the following algorithm.
- Before you change or load a new thread into the spool, determine how many meters it will take using the method described above.
- One end of the cord Bend into a hook.
- Find the hole at the bottom of the bobbin for fixing the line, and insert the end of the thread bent in a loop into it.
- It is required to wind the cord according to the direction of the arrow to the required level, and not exceeding the coil diameter.
- Do the same for the second bobbin compartment.
- The assembly of the head does not differ in any way from the method that was given when it was considered threading the bobbin with a piece of line folded in half.
For Shtil lawn mowers, there is a very simple and quick way to change the line without disassembling the mowing head, which you can get acquainted with by looking at this.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the casing can be cut to the desired length when the part is installed in the trimmer. This can be done in two ways:
- Turned on the trimmer (when rotating, the ends of the line will be cut into a knife, fixed for THESE purposes on the protective casing)
- Cutting off the excess ends with scissors so that they DO NOT touch the casing body.
The second method is used if a large diameter cord had to be supplied, and the edging knife cannot shorten it.
If charging has been made to whine into the mowing head, but the length of the protruding ends of the cord is not enough, then they must be lengthened before starting the machine. This applies to a manually adjustable head. However, there are cases when using a semi-automatic mowing head, when, due to the insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they do NOT automatically lengthen. In this case, it is necessary to turn off the unit (on electrical apparatus, it is necessary to unplug the plug from the socket), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part, and pull out a little line. After this procedure, the cord can again be extended due to centrifugal force if you set the maximum spindle speed.
The thread does NOT hold
It happens that the thread is unwound if the spring in the semi-automatic head has weakened. The line is constantly extended and cut with a knife installed on the cover, which increases its consumption. To check this, remove the cover and turn on the unit. If the line “climbed”, spring replacement is required.
than 200 types of trimmers in one place at the lowest prices. Click and watch
Now, having removed and disassembled the coil, we proceed, in fact, to winding.
How to wind the line correctly on the trimmer spool
Many, having worked out the factory line on the recently purchased trimmers, are trying to wind a new one, but they cannot, because they do not know how to properly wind the line on the spool (bobbin) of the trimmer. It seems that there is an instruction, but it still does not work. Let’s try in this article to deal with this issue.
So, in order to wind the line, you first need to remove the spool from the trimmer. This will be more convenient. The removal method will depend on the type of trimmer.
Removing the coil from the trimmer
On small electric trimmers with a bottom-mounted motor (when it is in the ground while working), the reels usually have two keys on the sides. Click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is also taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound. When disassembling, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar (there is still no way to put a knife on such trimmers), you need to grab the coil body itself with one hand, and with the other hand you need to start rotating the lamb on it counterclockwise. It is he who attaches the coil to the Trimmer Bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, trying NOT to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight bar and a gearbox at its end (on such trimmers, in addition to fishing line, you can also install a knife), we look for a hole under the coil, insert, for example, a screwdriver into it, quietly rotate the coil until the screwdriver does NOT crawl even deeper and the coil will lock. Now steep the whole coil clockwise (since the thread is left-hand) and remove it from the trimmer. Then we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled using snaps or a twisted lamb. If the coil is on latches, then press on the sides on the base of the latches so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just unscrew the lamb. There may also be a third type of connection between the two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the other. Top, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you also need to make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
If your coil is designed to work with only one tendril, then everything is simple. You need to unwind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the reel), find a hole on the inside of the reel for the fixing line, insert one end of the line there and start winding the line in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmer. On the inside of the reel, they usually indicate with an arrow in which direction to wind the line. I wound the fishing line, we leave a small piece of it unwound to put it out. We fix this piece in a specially groove, located on the inner part of the reel and designed so that at the time of collecting the reel the line does NOT unwind. If there is such a groove, then you will have to hold the fishing line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further collection of the coil. Next, we take the outer part of the coil and threading the outer piece of fishing line into the existing hole, collect and put the coil back on the trimmer.
If the coil is designed to work with two tendrils, then do the following. On the inside of the reel, we look at how many grooves there are for winding the fishing line. There may be one or two of them. If there is only one groove, then both tendrils are wound along this one groove. If there are two grooves. Then each antenna is wound along its own groove. Reels with one groove should have a through hole through which the fishing line is threaded. We unwind 2-4 m of fishing line, threading it through this hole so that the fishing line sticks out equally on each side. And we simultaneously wind both tendrils of the fishing line in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmers and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the reel. We leave a little of the fishing line unwound, the resulting ends We fix in the Special grooves, and if they are not. We hold it with our fingers. Threading both ends into the existing holes on the outer casing of the coil. We collect the coil and fasten it to the trimmers.
In the presence of two grooves, fold a piece of fishing line 2-4 m long in half, insert the loop obtained at the bend place into the groove between the two grooves, and simultaneously wind both ends of the fishing line along its own groove. Further actions are similar to the previous option.
There are also spools in which the fishing line is threaded through a through hole on the inside. After that, the ends of the line, and not winding, are threaded completely through the holes on the outer body of the reel, assemble the reel and begin to rotate the button, which is usually pressed, in order to release the line during operation as it wears out. Rotating the button. The fishing line itself is wound inside. At the same time twisting it in wrong direction will NOT work, since it can only rotate in one direction. If you get used to it, you can wind the fishing line on such a reel without even disassembling it. You just need to align the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer body of the reel, and then thread the line through them.
That’s all on this issue. Happy winding!
How to wind the line correctly on the trimmer spool?
Despite the fact that gardening equipment has been used for quite some time, it is still a novelty for some owners of private houses. That is why there are often questions about how to properly wind the line on an electric or gasoline trimmer.
This is essentially a simple operation, but all its stages must be performed correctly in order to achieve the desired result. over, in the operating instructions, only a few manufacturers provide an answer to this sore question. Explore the article and find out how the line winds around the trimmer reel.
The procedure for winding the line on the trimmer spool
First of all, you should know that trimmers have different working attachments. The reel can be designed for different lengths and thicknesses of the line. This point should be considered when purchasing consumables.
So how does the line load into the trimmer reel? All work is divided into several stages:
- First you need to disassemble the trimmer head.
- Unscrew the nozzle by rotating the drum to the right.
- Press with your fingers on the two latches located on different sides of the tap holes and remove the top cover of the nozzle. You can pry off the cover with a screwdriver. This should be done carefully: reels with automatic line feed have a spring that can forcefully throw the cover along with all the contents of the reel.
- Remove old line scraps.
- Now you need to find the middle of the line. To do this, unwind it to the required length (for example, 10 m), cut and fold in half.
- Hook the middle of the line into the existing groove or insert it into the hole specially designed for this. And start winding. The direction is indicated by the arrow, which is usually marked on the trimmer reel body (usually against the rotation of the drum). Some models have a double-sided spool: in this case, the line should be wound in different directions: one end. One way, the other. In the other, the loop of the fishing line must be inserted into the dividing slot in the middle.
- Leave loose ends of the line about 20cm each. Later they will need to be fixed in the recess.
- And finally, the last step is to assemble the drum. Reinstall the washers and spring. On the top ring of the reel there are two notches where you need to tuck the antennae of the fishing line. Thread them through the holes and place the spool in the drum, trying to tighten the line without displacing the spring.
- Place the drum cover on top and close it with your fingers. The latches will snap into place with a distinctive click.
When you turn on the trimmer, the excess line will be cut off by the trimming blade.
As you can see, winding the line on the trimmer reel is not difficult: the main thing. Do everything right. And here are some more tips that will be useful to you when choosing a fishing line, winding it and subsequent work:
- The line comes in different thicknesses and cross-sections. The best option for winding is dear line for this model;
- Never use fishing line or metal cables for the trimmer. This replacement may seem effective, but it is very dangerous. Jumping off a working trimmer, the cable can seriously injure Not only the lawnmower himself, but also those around him;
- The line is cut when the trimmer is in contact with hard objects. Try not to allow this, otherwise you will have to stop each time, turn off the device and rewind the line on the reel;
- Use regular line for cutting lawn grass and for coarse weeds. Pigtail-shaped line. It is more durable and will not constantly cut.
How to properly wind the line around the trimmer: Step-by-step guide and instructions
A beautiful lawn will only look truly well-groomed if you regularly mow the grass. A trimmer is best for tackling difficult areas. Any owner of the unit will sooner or later face a solution to the problem of how to wind the line on a reel, because from wrong actions you can not only worsen the quality of the mowing, but also disable the equipment. Today in the Homius review we will tell you about all the methods and nuances of replacing the fishing line and the features of choosing consumables.
Before threading the thread onto the trimmer spool, pay attention to its size. Most often used fishing line with a cross section of 2 mm.
You can choose a suitable diameter in the following ways:
- See recommendations in the manufacturer’s instructions for trimmers.
- Manufacturers often apply cross-sectional information to the bobbin.
- The cross-section of the cord must match the diameter of the reel hole.
Auto feed trimmer: how to wind the line into the removable spool
Some models of trimmers have a reel, the threading of which is automatic. It is enough for the owner to fix the ends in the head, after turning on the equipment, the mechanism will perform all the winding manipulations on its own.
How to wind the line correctly: replacement features depending on the type of removable trimmer coil
To figure out how to tuck the line into the removable trimmer head, the following recommendations and instructions will help.
Before you put the line on the trimmer, you need to Pay attention to the section of the cord:
- Whine with a round section. This is the most common option. They cut the grass perfectly even in difficult areas;
- Spiral line is suitable for thin grass. It is not very durable and is NOT suitable for old thickets;
- A cord with notches and sharp edges is chosen for mowing weeds;
- A fishing line with a variety of geometric sections will help mow the lawn more evenly, but the strength of the consumables is low.
The owner of the lawn mower should know that it is absolutely forbidden to use metal wire, fishing thread and various strings.
How to quickly and easily remove the coil with your own hands
Before replacing the old line with a new one in the detachable trimmer spool, you must remove the head.
The process is completely simple, even beginners can do the job:
- Remove the upper fixing cover.
- Remove the removable spool.
- Get the spring out, if any.
- Screwdriver Unscrew the bolt.
- Remove the housing from the shaft.