How to choose the right manual tile cutter
In our article you will learn how to choose the best manual tile cutter, rating of the 2018 tile cutters on the Vira website
How to choose the right manual tile cutter
Ceramic tiles have now become one of the main finishing materials. And this is quite understandable and understandable: she has a huge number of advantages.
However, in order to correctly and efficiently lay the tiles, the master must have the necessary tools and devices at hand. These tools include, of course, the tile cutter, the abundance of models of which sometimes plunges users into the deepest confusion. Which tile cutter to choose, how to choose a tile cutter – these are the questions asked by almost everyone who decided to start laying tiles.
Our today’s article will help you find answers to these questions, in which we intend to talk about both the parameters for choosing tile cutters and the main models and brands that are of quite reasonable interest.
To an uninitiated person, it may seem that the length in no way affects the choice of a manual tile cutter. However, it is not. An overly short tool to save money is not worth buying. By overpaying just a little, you can become the owner of a universal tile cutter that can work even with floor tiles.
If you look on the Internet numerous enough how to choose a manual tile cutter, you will understand that a large-sized tool can open up additional possibilities for you. So, with its help, you can, for example, cut tiles diagonally using the method of its diagonal laying.
When deciding which model to choose a manual tile cutter among STAYER products, most buyers prefer the 3310-48 product. They are pushed to such a decision by the multifunctionality of this device and its very affordable price. The length of the cut, like the VIRA brand tool, is about 400 mm, which in most cases is quite enough. In addition, the 3310-48 tile cutter can handle tiles that can be up to 16 mm thick.
However, when deciding which tile cutter to choose for your home and leaning towards a product of the STAYER brand, you should know that there are significant complaints about them, expressed by their owners. The main disadvantages noted are:
- Play in the cutting roller;
- Insufficient structural rigidity.
The flaws noticed by buyers can cause a significant deviation from the applied markings during cutting, which ultimately results in defects and additional costs for users. For this reason, when buying a STAYER tile cutter, the final choice should be made only after performing a test cut, which allows you to identify possible factory imperfections.
Choosing the type of tile cutter: electric or manual?
The tile cutter will be an indispensable assistant for a large amount of work on laying brooms, tiles and other tile material. When using this tool, work is significantly accelerated, a high cut quality is obtained, and material waste is minimal. There is a wide variety of models of such devices on the market, differing in size and cost, therefore, to make the right choice, you need to understand the nuances of their functioning.
By design features, tile cutters are divided into two large groups: driven by an electric motor and manual mechanical. In devices of the first type, a diamond-coated cutting disc is used for operation, driven in rotation by the energy of an electric current. In the second case, the cutting element is moved along the guide carriage using muscular force.
Electric tile cutters are widely used in construction companies, stone processing workshops, and in the production of products on an industrial scale. Mechanical hand tools are most often used when doing home repair work. Owners of private houses make it easier with its help the process of laying tiles and metlakh tiles.
Replacement cutter wheel for manual tile cutter
Ceramic tiles can also be sawn with an angle grinder or even cut with a glass cutter. Having strengthened a diamond-coated disc on a grinding machine, you can, of course, cut the tile material, but clouds of finely dispersed dust, very harmful to the respiratory system, will be released into the environment. Such work is accompanied by a terrifying noise.
Manual tile cutter selection options
The manual tile cutter consists of a cutting element on a movable base and a fixture for measuring angles. The cutter is the basis of the working part of this tool, with its help a notched line is drawn, by tapping on which the tile is divided into fragments of the desired size. If the configuration of the cutter is a circle, then they can make a circular cut.
The presence of the "ballerina" provides the ability to cut holes for socket boxes
Small angle cuts allow making a ruler on a rotating mechanism. In addition, well-known manufacturers of such tools supply their products with many additional functions that allow protecting the edge of the cut plate from coloring, setting the cutting angles with increased accuracy, and so on.
There are the following types of manual tile cutters:
- Using rotating rollers as a cutting mechanism. Especially strong metal alloys are used in their manufacture. Such tools have found the most widespread use.
- They have a mechanical carriage of increased rigidity in the cutting unit. They can be used to gently process thick and durable slabs.
- Bearings used in the undercarriage. Such tile cutters are indispensable when working with materials of increased strength, having a thickness of up to one and a half centimeters.
The required model is selected depending on the expected volume of facing work. You do not need to focus solely on the cost of the tool, you need to take into account its technical characteristics and functionality.
The presence of a manual stop with a rotary mechanism allows you to cut tiles at an angle
The selection criteria are as follows:
- The mechanism must have a very strong frame. This design element ensures a long tool life, especially when working with hard materials continuously. Sticking in the handle and lever system is unacceptable and must move easily and effortlessly.
- An important operational parameter is the cut length of the slab material provided by the machine. This value can vary from ten to seventy-five centimeters. Cutting lengths that are too short are often simply useless to get the job done.
- A good smoothness of the movement of the cutting element over the surface of the work plate is achieved by installing a bearing in the running gear of the mechanism. Machines of this design are often used by professional tilers.
Which tile cutter is better to choose &# 128296; for DIY work: manual or electric?
Facing elements of building structures during the repair or construction of buildings involves a large amount of work with tile material. In this case, it becomes necessary to adjust the size of the tile when laying it on a surface with a complex geometric configuration. For this, the tiles are cut along the desired contour.
There are many tools and devices for solving this problem, but tile cutters specially designed for such work are most effective. These structurally uncomplicated tools provide high-quality separation of the tile material to give it the desired shape. Which one should you choose?
A tile cutter of this design has advanced capabilities.
Evaluation Criteria for an Electric Tool
Machines with a cutting part driven by an electric motor are used to perform a large amount of facing work. Their use can significantly reduce waste. The cutting surface is clean and even, the speed of operations and labor productivity increase.
Most Affordable Portable Electric Tile Cutter
For the correct functioning of these units, a water or air cooling system is provided in their design. It allows the tile material not to overheat, otherwise it may crack or crack. Cooling water is in the tank, from which it is directed, if necessary, to the treated surface. It is preferable to use this type of cooling system, as it is more efficient. Electric machines are made in stationary and mobile versions.
Selection guidelines will be as follows:
- The build quality must be assessed by visual inspection of the unit. There should be no visible defects on the elements of its structure; when starting the engine, the vibration of the machine should be minimal. The smaller it is, the better the cutting result will be.
- An important operational parameter is the power of the electric motor. The larger it is, the better the device will cope with increased loads during the working process, and the longer it will last. A good indicator is a power value of eight hundred watts and above. The output shaft of such electric motors rotates at eleven thousand revolutions per minute.
- Under-engine machines take up less usable space. Units with a motor on top cut the tiles more accurately.
- The characteristics of the depth and length of the cut for electric machines are good. The best specimens are capable of processing slabs with a length of nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
- The availability of spare parts for repair must also be considered. The details of the service should be found out from the specialists of the repair shops.
- The working disk should not differ in size from the standard values. Most often, the value of its diameter is eighteen centimeters.
The functionality of electric tile cutters significantly exceeds the parameters of manual machines. Professionals appreciate this tool for its high processing speed of tile material. The incision time is several tens of seconds.
Electric tile cutter
Along with mechanical, manufacturers offer all kinds of power tools. The working element in it is a diamond disc driven by an electric motor. In addition, the disc is continuously wetted with water, due to which the cutting line is neat, without chips (even the top layer of glaze is not damaged), the disc does not overheat, and the dust does not fly! The assortment includes:
- Compact stationary tile cutters;
- Machines for processing tiles, as well as porcelain stoneware, artificial and natural stone;
- Broad-functional hand-held power tool (diamond saws).
Needless to say, labor productivity with the use of power tools increases dramatically?
Protection from defeat
Water plus electricity require reliable protection against electric shock. Therefore, electric tile cutters have double insulation of windings, high-quality cords, built-in RCDs, waterproof seals and covers. Many installations need to be grounded.
The sharpest diamond blade rotating at high speed is dangerous. The operator must wear protective goggles, act carefully and not be distracted. The rip guide allows you to steer the tile without holding it by the edges with your hands.
It is not recommended to use an "angle grinder" for cutting tiles. Dry processing will give too much stone dust, which is harmful to health and difficult to remove from surfaces. And the accuracy of the cut will be low, and the edge will be in chips. So that there are no chips on the mowing line of the cut, you can stick masking tape for safety reasons.
Mechanical tile cutter
The simplest tile cutter is a mechanical device. The cutter roller is rolled over the surface of the material, which is then snapped off along the cut mowing line. Actually, the principle is the same as that of a glass cutter (a cutter with a handle), only here everything is more detailed. To prevent the hand from flinching, the roller guides the rail mechanism. There are rulers and protractors for diagonal cutting and keeping the geometry accurate. Due to the system of stops, many mechanical models are also capable of breaking. And yet, without experience, it is easy to ruin the tiles. In addition, the resulting edge is far from ideal and needs to be improved. And the material with a thickness of over 15 mm is too tough for the "mechanics" So, if large-scale tiling works are planned, it makes sense to take a closer look at electric models.