How to dilute gasoline for a grass trimmer
Dacha owners, owners of private country houses to take care of lawns, mow weeds, buy small mechanization. Prefer trimmers powered by internal combustion engines by pouring in a properly diluted mixture of gasoline and oil.
Motorized grass mowers require maintenance, use of a combination fuel. By keeping the ratio of gasoline to oil in mind, it’s easy to get the performance of the brushcutter.
How to dilute fuel for a power tiller
The main difference with a two-stroke power tiller is that it has no separate lubrication system. For this reason, oil is mixed with gasoline. Such an oil-gasoline mixture forms a special mist when the device works, and it, in turn, treats all the parts of the motoblock in its path.
Oil for a chainsaw. how to prepare the fuel mixture. What oil to use for chain lubrication The correct ratio of.
Types of possible for motoblocs lubricant
Oil is just as important as gasoline. Consistent operation of all components depends on quality. The main task of lubrication is to eliminate unnecessary friction. A good product must meet several requirements:
- in combustion should produce a minimum of ash;
- degrades quickly on contact;
- dissolves quickly in gasoline;
- good fluidity (relevant for engines with separate oil and gasoline supply);
- anticorrosive, temperature, antiwear properties.
When choosing an oil one should also pay attention to seasonality. Lubricants are of the following types
- Summer. Has high viscosity values, ensures good performance of the cultivator in hot weather.
- Winter product. Manufacturer marks products for winter with the letter “W”. The viscosity of the product is lower, which ensures comfortable work in the cold.
- All-season type. a very popular oil, because it can be used at any temperature.
When buying the all-season grease, take into account that there are variants with different viscosity levels. When choosing an oil the following rule applies: the harder the frost is, the lower should be the viscosity.
How to start up a petrol lawnmower
How to mix gasoline and oil
The proportions used to mix. The classic ratio is 1 part lubricant to 4 parts gasoline. Refer to the manufacturer’s manual for specific values.
To assemble a mini tractor from a motoblock with their own hands without making mistakes, you will need a step-by-step instruction and
The fuel mixture should be diluted in a separate container. The container should be dry, petrol proof and clean. First pour petrol into the tank, then add oil. Only after thoroughly mixing, pour the resulting composition into the tank of the motoblock.
Gasoline up to an octane rating of 92 is used for power tillage mowers. When mixing the tank is not completely filled, leave a gap of 2-3 cm (fuel expands during mixing).
The first mower running-in process
Once you have started your unit, don’t rush to operate it right away. Give it time to work a little, run in. It takes 5 minutes to idle the engine the first time you start it. While the engine is warming up well, you can adjust the air damper so that the cutting element does not rotate with the bobbin. As soon as the mower is warmed up, you can open the air inlet and start mowing.
- Pull the gas handle with little effort and hold it there for about 30 seconds. Then release the throttle and let your mower work again for longer, for about 50 seconds. In this mode you can work up to 15 minutes without resting for the device. Then turn off our mower and give it about 20 minutes of rest.
- After our equipment has cooled down you may continue to run it in, following the same scheme as described above. Start the hot grass trimmer and make sure that it has an open air damper. Try not to hold it for too long, because the moving parts inside the engine will rub against each other. Do not let the engine idle either, as it might overheat.
The next step is a good running-in of our ride-on lawn trimmer gearbox. To do this, you need to determine the area of grass, it must necessarily be not tall and young. We cut the grass for about 10 minutes, with the device having gradual rests, as it was written above. Repeat the cycle at least 4.5 times.
Important! In general, the test run of the gasoline mower on the above described algorithm should be carried out by you on a full tank of gas, but the last production of a drop of fuel mixture. After such a warm-up period, your machine is ready to work for a long time. When mowing grass, you should always make sure that the temperature of the motor and the gearbox is not exceeded. Both machines should not overheat.
After you do not need to mow it anymore, it is desirable to clean it. Because all dried grass may strongly adhere to it and it is very difficult to get it off. On top of that, the grass will start to rot and smell bad on the mower body. So it is advisable to clean the mower clean of dirt and grass residue after each mowing.
Fuel mixture for two-stroke engines
Trimmers for grass, which are equipped with a two-stroke motor, do not have a separate system designed for oil supply in order to lubricate the working parts. For this reason it is not necessary to fill such devices with pure gasoline, but with a mixture of fuel and engine oil. The latter should be specially designed for two-stroke engines. The use of automotive engine fluid will lead to premature engine failure.
Preparation of fuel mixture for two-stroke engines
How to Siphon Gasoline Safely
Fill the lawnmower with a two-stroke engine with gasoline AI-92. When using AI-95, engine overheating and uneven engine performance may occur. Mix gasoline with oil in the proportion 50:1, where 50 is fuel and 1 is oil. It turns out that you need 20 ml of oil per 1 liter of fuel.
If the engine is worn out or the tool works with a high load, the proportion is 25:1. If there is not enough lubricant, there will be burrs on the cylinder walls and piston surface. The piston ring is then destroyed and the motor jams as a result. Adding too much oil is not so critical, but it can lead to carbon deposits. In such a case, the piston ring will get corked, which will reduce the power of the device.
Oil and petrol proportions for the fuel mixture
Rules for mixing
And now about how to mix the components correctly. However, it would be logical to start with analysis of common, but totally unacceptable mistakes made by many owners of this mower unit. The following are considered mistakes in mixing the fuel mixture.
- Adding oil to the fuel already in the brushcutter’s fuel tank. It is not possible to obtain a homogeneous fuel mixture in this way. It may work, if only then shake the grass trimmer for a long time. But it is unlikely that anyone will do this, given the gravity of the unit.
- Pour oil into the mixing tank first, and then add gasoline to it. Gasoline has a lower density than oil, so if it is added to the oil, it will remain in the upper layer, i.e., there will be no natural mixing. Of course, you can mix then, but it will require much more energy than if you do it the other way around. pouring oil to the poured gasoline.
- Ignoring precise measuring tools for taking the necessary volumes of used ingredients. In other words, dilute the amount of oil or gasoline “by eye”. it is a bad habit when operating motor vehicles.
- Using empty drinking water bottles for the fuel mixture. Such containers are made of too thin polyethylene, which can be dissolved by gasoline.
With all of the above in mind, we recommend the following rules when mixing fuel mixture for two-stroke grass trimmer engines.
- Use only clean containers made of metal or special plastic for storing gasoline, oil, ready-to-use fuel mixture and its preparation.
- Use a watering can for filling up gasoline to avoid spilling it, and measuring containers with volume indicators or 5 ml and 10 ml medical syringes for adding oil.
- First pour petrol into the canister to prepare the fuel mixture, and then oil.
- To dilute the mixture, first pour only half of the planned volume of gasoline into the container.
- Next add the full amount of oil required for the mixture to the gasoline.
- Thoroughly mix the contents of the dilution container. It is best to stir with a tightly closed container in a circular motion. Do not mix fuel with any object inside the canister because it is not known what kind of material this object is made of, what kind of reaction it can react with the ingredients of the mixture and how clean it is.
- Add the rest of the petrol to the mixture that has been mixed and mix thoroughly again.
- You can fill the fuel tank of a lawnmower with a prepared mixture.
You should bear in mind that the ready-to-use fuel mixture should not be stored for more than 14 days, as it loses its properties, stratifies and evaporates, which leads to changes in proportions, and thus deteriorates the grass trimmer’s performance.
Oil selection and use
By design, the engine of a petrol lawnmower differs from a car engine only in the number of cylinders and air cooling.
Its closest analogue are moped motors, because they also have only one cylinder and air cooling. That is why gasoline lawnmower engines use the same oil that is used in cars or mopeds and that meets the manufacturer’s SAE and API requirements.
If the manufacturer has not specified SAE and API parameters, the following values should be used as a guide:
Sometimes manufacturers recommend the oil of a certain brand, but it has nothing to do with the fact that it is better for this engine, but the desire to earn money or partnership obligations, because the manufacturer advertises his products or the products of his partners.
At the same time, no real advantages of such oil “for lawnmowers” does not have, because car engines work in much heavier modes, and therefore, the requirements for oil for them are much higher.
In addition, it is important to choose the right oil by the type of base, because it comes in:
The choice of basis depends on the age of the mower and the presence of a carburetor:
- 20 years or more. only mineral.
- 0-20 years, carburetor. mineral or semi-synthetic.
- 10-20 years, fuel injection. semi-synthetic.
- 0-10 years, fuel injection. synthetic or semi-synthetic.
A 4-stroke engine requires a semi-synthetic or mineral oil labeled SAE-30, SAE 20w-50 (summer), 10W-30 (fall and spring). These markers indicate the viscosity of the oil. A product with the viscosity 5W-30 is all-season and all-weather. A two-stroke engine is not critical to viscosity. the oil is already diluted in gasoline.
What kind of gasoline to put in your mower?
Honestly, what gasoline you pour into your car and at what gas station, I recommend pouring in a gasoline mower. Personally I chose AI-95 and I buy it at Lukoil. I agree that many of you will argue with me about the high price and low-quality fuel, I’ll cut you off at once, where the gasoline, I buy 100% good.
But this does not mean that if I fill my grass trimmer with AI-95, then AI-92 is not suitable, no. But I definitely do not recommend pouring less than 92 into the mower’s tank. To tell you the truth, I’ve never put 98 and 100 percent gasoline in my mower. If any of you have tried, please share your experiences.
Note, if the grass trimmer is new, you have just bought it, be sure to look in the passport, what brand of gasoline is recommended by the manufacturer itself. It is possible that your mower works on diesel, of course just kidding.
How to mix gasoline and oil for your mower
Before we start looking into this question, especially if you are new to the subject, I would not recommend mixing oil with gasoline already in the tank of your mower, because you will not get a 100% homogeneous, fuel mixture. Some craftsmen may be able to do it, but the grass trimmer in this case will have to shake a lot, then the failure is not excluded. Given the weight of the mower is not light, it is unlikely that someone will do it.
- Let’s consider the capacity of the tank. A standard tank, whichever mower you have, will not hold more than 1.2 liters of gasoline. To be honest I have not seen more, although I have had many mowers.
- The easiest way to mix fuel is in a 1 liter plastic bottle. And now the question that bothers many beginners is how much oil to put in the gasoline for the mower? Many of you may have seen a picture of a neighbor pouring red gasoline into the tank? Well, what do you remember?? So this is gasoline mixed with oil. Any engine, necessarily needs lubrication, so gasoline must be mixed with engine oil for mowers, but what kind, you will find out in the next post. The oil is usually labeled for: scooters, motorcycles, gasoline mowers.
- Note that to dilute the gasoline with the oil by eye is a very bad idea, so you definitely need some measuring jars. If a liter bottle is all clear, but with oil, I think many, a little no. If you used a plastic bottle for mixing, for example, from Sprite, as I did, then you should not store in it the gasoline diluted for the mower, use the mixture for one filling, otherwise gasoline quickly corrodes the bottle and you “muddy” area in your garden.
How much gasoline and oil to mix for the mower
To mix and pour gasoline in the tank you will need: a liter plastic bottle, 10 ml medical syringe., a watering can and a can of gasoline. You need a watering can to pour the gasoline into the tank of the mower to avoid accidental spilling.
We need a 10cc syringe to add 20 ml to a liter of gasoline. Т.е. 2 full syringes per liter of gasoline. If any of you manage to find a 20cc syringe, that’s even better and quicker. Note, you should not fill the liter bottle up to the neck with gasoline, because you will need to mix the mixture thoroughly and get a red, homogeneous fuel.
tip: pour half a liter of gasoline into the bottle, then pour 2 syringe oils, mix everything well and only then pour the remaining half a liter, then pour everything into the tank through the watering can. As you can see everything is simple.