Of course, each of us seeks to acquire a high-quality chainsaw, which would be distinguished by reliability, high working life, efficiency and good technical characteristics. All these criteria are fully consistent with the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw. We will talk in more detail about its advantages, common breakdowns and self-repair.
Stihl MC 180 chainsaw device. model components
The design of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is quite difficult to call simple. this is due to the features of this model. The Stihl 180 chainsaw device consists of the following components:
The manufacturer took into account the possibility of regular operation of the chainsaw at low temperatures, which resulted in the presence of a proprietary system for a smoother and faster start of the engine.
Chainsaw Stihl МС 180. specifications
In terms of performance, the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is in many ways superior to its price range counterparts. This tool, as well as its modification. the Stihl 180 C chainsaw, has the following technical characteristics:
- Power. 2 liters. from.;
- The working volume of the cylinder is 31.8 cm3;
- Fuel consumption. 0.7 l / h;
- Fuel tank capacity. 250 ml;
- The volume of the tank for oil supply is 145 ml;
- Idling speed. 2800 rpm;
- Launch. manual;
- Chain lubrication. automatic;
- The length of tires used is 30–35 cm;
- Chain Step. 3 / 8’’v
- Working weight. 4.2 kg.
The Stihl MC 180 chainsaw does not require special care. The only thing that is needed from the owner is to use high-quality fuel and top up the oil on time. The diameter of the file for sharpening the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw chain should be 4.5–5 mm.
Features of operation of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw
This model of chainsaw, as well as its modification. Stihl MS 180 C BE chainsaws, is not difficult to use. Below we will study the basic rules of operation, which will protect the main parts and mechanisms of the chainsaw from premature wear.
How to breed gasoline for a Stihl 180 chainsaw?
The chainsaw motor should run on a properly prepared mixture of gasoline and oil. The higher the quality of these two components, the longer your garden tool will last. Of great importance is the proportion of oil and gasoline.
How to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw?
The correct order for starting the chainsaw is as follows:
- Before you start the saw, you need to activate the chain brake. To do this, the brake lever must be tilted forward;
- Next, you need to remove the protective cover;
- Next, you need to click on the decompression valve. this will greatly facilitate the starting of the motor;
- After that, press the fuel pump several times. This will reduce fuel consumption directly when starting the saw engine;
- Then set the throttle combination lever down to the “cold start” position. To do this, you first need to activate the gas lever;
- Pull the cable slowly until you feel resistance. After that, quickly pull the cable toward you until you hear that the engine has started and stalled;
- Then move the combination lever one position up;
- Pull the cable again until the motor starts;
- As soon as the engine starts, press the trigger, and, having moved the combined lever to the up position all the way, release it;
- Release the chain brake lever, pulling it towards you until a characteristic click is heard;
How to break in a new Stihl 180 chainsaw?
Starting to use the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, most tool owners do not know how to properly break in a purchased saw. To do this, you must act in this order:
- Check for chain oil. to do this, put the saw on an old newspaper and start the tool. If there is oil, then traces of it will appear on paper;
- Next, turn off the inertia brake;
- After that, start a chainsaw and leave it to idle for 20 minutes. over, every minute you need to make short-term pressure on the trigger of gas;
- After 20 minutes, start sawing thin branches, gradually increasing the density and diameter of the wood.
Stihl 180 chainsaw. malfunctions and repairs
In the case of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, malfunctions and methods for their elimination may be different. In order to be able to independently repair the breakdowns of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, we will study the most common causes of breakdowns and methods for eliminating them on our own.
Chainsaw will not start. causes and repair
If you notice that your saw has stopped starting up, this may indicate that engine oil is filling up the spark plug of the instrument. To inspect the candle, you need to remove the rubber cap on the body and unscrew the part with a candle wrench. If you saw large spots of oil on the candle, it means that the cause of the breakdown lies in this.
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw stalls idling
The most common reason for this is improper adjustment of the saw carburetor. If the saw does not keep idle, then you will need to re-configure the tool assembly. To do this, take the adjusting wrench from the saw set and insert it into the “” screw on the tool handle. During this, slowly turn the screw clockwise until the saw starts to work normally.
Gasoline not supplied. an independent solution to the problem
The reason for this lies in the malfunction of the carburetor. In order to repair the unit, it will need to be dismantled. However, before disassembling the carburetor on the Stihl 180 chainsaw, be sure to disconnect the throttle link and ignition wire from it. Further actions are as follows:
- The carburetor device is attached to the saw structure using 4 screws. Unscrew them and pull out the assembly from the chainsaw. Before removing the carburetor, do not forget to wear gloves so as not to get your hands dirty with oil;
- Before you clean the carburetor, you will need to apply a household degreaser to its walls. Wait 5 minutes and start wiping the walls of the assembly;
- Remove the starter cover and remove the 4 screws;
- Inspect spark ignition parts. If they are clean, make sure that the gap between the magnets and the flywheel is correctly set. A gap of 0.4 mm will be considered optimal.
In order not to resort to regular carburetor repairs, try to use high-quality fuel and oil from trusted manufacturers.
Chainsaw starts poorly. looking for reasons
If your saw does not start up cold, then the first thing to do is to inspect the pistons of the tool. The piston group of the Stihl MS 180 saw is highly reliable, however, due to a lack of engine oil or mechanical shock, an immediate replacement piston may be required. Before changing the piston, we recommend that you study the specified algorithm:
- Remove the top cover of the saw and unscrew the candle;
- Remove the stoppers from the shock absorbers, drive sprocket and starter;
- Then the flywheel, the worm drive and the winning chain are removed;
- Then remove the ignition coil and muffler;
- At the end, the piston group of the chainsaw is dismantled.
No oil is supplied to the chainsaw chain
If you notice this malfunction, then the first thing to do is set up the oil supply. The oil supply to the circuit is adjusted as follows:
- Locate the adjustment screw at the bottom of the chainsaw next to the sprocket;
- To increase the oil supply, the screw will need to be turned to the "" side;
Starter Cord Replacement
If you pull the cable too much, sooner or later you will have to replace it. This is easy enough to do. To do this, proceed in the following order:
- Remove the 4 screws holding the flywheel with the cord;
- Remove the cover and pull out the torn cable;
- Install a new flywheel with a cable and screw the screws back in.
The Stihl MS-180 chainsaw is a product of the well-known German brand STIHL, founded in 1921 by Andreas Shtil. Initially, the company was engaged in the production of washing machines and steam boilers. The first STIHL chainsaw (Germany) was born in 1929 and had a weight of 48 kg. with a power plant capacity of 6 liters. from.
The units were improved, new structural elements were added. a saw chain with cutting and scraper teeth, automated chain lubrication, a centrifugal clutch, a membrane carburetor, anti-vibration handles, a chain brake, etc. With each new invention, the saw weight decreased, the functionality grew. Stihl is also known as the manufacturer of the quietest chainsaws in the world.
Is a site visitor often interested in how much the Stihl MC-180 chainsaw costs? The original Stihl 180 chainsaw costs between 12-13 thousand rubles. Future equipment owners are also interested in where the STIHL MS-180 chainsaws are assembled. It can be the USA, Germany and even China. Chinese fakes are quite common, but their prices are lower.
We offer you to watch a video that tells how to distinguish a fake from the original:
Standard equipment of the STIHL chainsaw
The standard equipment for the Stihl MS-180 chainsaw includes:
- universal screwdriver;
- tire 14 inches (35 cm);
- chain of 50 links;
- tire cover;
Description of the Stihl MC-180 chainsaw
This is a household tool designed for cutting branches and trees, sawing logs, and other activities in the garden. The Stihl chainsaw weighs 3.9 kg. The power of the installed carburetor two-stroke engine is 2 horsepower. The unit works from a mixture of gasoline (AI-92 and above) and engine oil for two-stroke engines. The kit can be a 35 cm long bus. A Picco Micro 3 (PM3) chain with ⅜ inch pitch is used.
The manufacturer supplied the “Stihl” chainsaw with a lock against accidental start-up, and also provided automatic lubrication of the chain during operation (Еmatic system).
For the convenience of the operator, an effective anti-vibration system has been provided for a long time.
We offer you to familiarize yourself with the technical characteristics of the Stihl MS-180 chainsaw:
In addition to the basic modification of the MC-180, there are improved models:
- Chainsaw Stihl MS-180 C-BE 14.
- Chainsaw Stihl MS-180 16 Picco.
Consider each modification individually.
Chainsaw Stihl MS-180 C-BE 14
This “Stihl” chainsaw is more advanced by the manufacturer, its weight is 4.2 kg. The two-stroke power plant runs on a fuel mixture of gasoline and engine oil and has a capacity of 2 liters. from. Air cooling, the ErgoStart system makes it easy to start the engine by pulling on the handle of the inertial starter. QuickStop will instantly stop chain movement when you press the front stop.
Constant fuel consumption and the cleanest exhaust possible with integrated compensator. The tire is small. 14 inches, with the following parameters: 1.3 mm, 3/8 ″, 50 links. A Picco Duro chain of its own manufacture is installed on the bus, which dulls four times slower, differs in excess of strength and reliability.
The chain tensioning system is improved without the use of a special tool. The Ematic system allows the chain to be lubricated where it is needed, resulting in 50% savings in lubricants. Anti-vibration system protects the operator from excessive vibration.
Chainsaw Stihl MS-180 16 Picco
The weight of the chainsaw is 3.9 kg. Gasoline engine, single-cylinder carburetor with a capacity of 2 liters. from. There is also an easy-start system, a chain lock, anti-vibration. STIHL Oilomatic PICCO MINI 61 PMN chain, automatic lubrication system. The tire length is 40 cm. A compensator is mounted in the carburetor, which is responsible for fuel consumption, constant power of the chainsaw and the quality of exhaust gases.
Advantages of the Stihl MS-180 gasoline saw
Let’s talk about the features of the “Stihl” MS-180 chainsaw:
- lightness of gasoline saw;
- performance of 2 liters. from.;
- Belongs to the “hobby class”;
- easy start Ergostart;
- quick chain tension;
- electronic type ignition;
- four rubber shock absorbers for damping vibration;
- brake for Quik Stop chain;
- sprocket roller insulation;
- the carburetor is not adjustable (only idle speed is regulated, the engine speed is constant with the factory settings);
- the presence of a stabilizing compensator;
- single lever control;
- chain reinforced;
- the presence of two compression rings on the engine piston instead of one;
- universality of a saw:
- durability, reliability.
Video: Oil Consumption For Stihl Chainsaw
The disadvantages are the following:
- noise at work;
- high price;
- limited operating time per day.
The passport of the “Stihl” gasoline saw MS-180 is an instruction manual that contains complete information about the tool itself. Before starting operation, it is necessary to carefully study the manual to avoid annoying malfunctions.
We offer you to read the instructions for the chainsaw.
Stihl MC-180 chainsaw consists of: gasoline engine, carburetor, casing, starter, flywheel, clutch, decompression valve, oil, fuel pump and tank, spark plug, saw chain, tire, sprocket, brake, air filter, shift lever , dust collector, muffler, clamps, tension wheels, gear stop, adjustment screw, handles.
Stihl chainsaw preparation for work
The preparation of the saw should be approached with all responsibility, since its lifetime in the future depends on this, as well as the safety of the operator himself. Consider the correct algorithm of actions when preparing a chainsaw for operation:
- Stihl chainsaw is assembled (according to descriptions and diagrams in the manual);
- the tire is put on and fixed;
- chain is pulled;
- the fuel mixture is being prepared correctly: gasoline is diluted with oil in a ratio of 50/1 (the amount of AI-92 gasoline is 5 liters, Stihl special oil for two-stroke engines is 100 ml.);
- the fuel mixture is poured into the tank;
- chain oil is poured into the tank;
- the reliability of the tension of the fasteners is checked;
- according to the instructions, the saw is launched;
- carburettor is idled with the corresponding screw (the chain must not move);
- the lubrication of the chain is checked.
We offer you to watch a video on how to assemble the “Stihl” chainsaw:
About how to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw our video will tell:
Break-in period for “Stihl” chainsaw
In the usual sense, a break-in for a Stihl 180 saw is not carried out. She is initially ready for work. However, the owner of the equipment must know and understand the following:
- The first 4 to 8 blasted full tanks with fuel, the work of the gasoline saw should not be carried out in a gentle mode for the entire power of the power plant with frequent interruptions for cooling the tool.
- The first 60 minutes of the Stihl chainsaw consists of work and rest periods: 2 minutes. work, 10 seconds. idling, a break. Idling for more than 10 seconds harms the spark plugs, leaving soot on them.
- It is very important to properly prepare the fuel mixture from high quality materials (1/50, AI-92 gasoline and above, Stihl oil for 2-stroke engines).
Before operation is checked:
- chain condition, sharpening;
- chain tension;
- tightening fasteners;
- filling fuel and oil tanks;
- the presence of chain lubrication;
- idling, etc.
After sawing work is carried out:
- chainsaw cleaning;
- chain tension loosens (required);
- chain sharpening (if necessary);
- condition of the tire, its wear;
- filter maintenance (as required).
The new owners are often lost and looking for materials on how to properly disassemble (assemble) the Stihl 180 chainsaw. We offer you to watch a video that shows how to disassemble and assemble the Stihl 180 chainsaw:
Faults and repairs
Stihl 180 chainsaw malfunctions and their elimination is another problem that worries tool owners.
Why the Stihl 180 chainsaw won’t start:
- no fuel mixture;
- no contact on the spark plug;
- high-voltage wire breakage;
- the fuel pump does not pump;
- clogged fuel lines;
- problems with candles;
- ignition not adjusted;
- pours a candle.
Why the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not develop the required number of revolutions:
- soot on a spark plug;
- the candle is worn out, replacement is necessary (after 100 hours of operation);
- carburetor requires cleaning.
The Stihl 180 chainsaw stalls at idle:
- carburetor not adjusted;
- fuel or air filter clogged.
We offer you to watch a video on how to adjust the carburetor of the Stihl MC 180 chainsaw with your own hands:
Some tool owners use a Stihl MC 180 chainsaw along with a nozzle-angle grinder, this allows you to build a home sawmill and perform longitudinal cuts.
The video shows the nozzle-angle grinder for the Stihl MS-180 chainsaw:
But even without this nozzle, some craftsmen found a way to perform a longitudinal cut with a conventional tire with a saw chain. We offer you to watch a video about a home-made sawmill from improvised materials:
And now you have the opportunity to evaluate this tool in your work by watching a short video:
Alexander, 50 years old
“Great saw!” In work, the 12th year, for all the time, changed: the tire burned out, chains were bought (winning soldering is a thing, but only in special services), an asterisk and filters. He saws everything, worked both at home and in the forest, even the old house fell down with it, and there he burned the tire. But the saw is still in force, it will work for more than one year! ”
Vladislav, 35 years old
“I bought Stihl somehow, at first there were no problems, but in the second year of service, problems started, it doesn’t start, it stalls, then the links burst, then the motor died! Finally. I was offended by the manufacturer. Now I understand that most likely I came across a Chinese fake, then there was no Internet, so I could walk around the forums and watch YouTube. The godfather also has Stihl, it has been working properly for 7 years, he bought for 2 goals before me. So different things happen! ”
Alexander, 32 years old
“I bought an improved BE 180 chainsaw, I’m 100% satisfied with the purchase. At the cottage and at the parents, the Stihl chainsaw was an indispensable assistant. Parents in the village. harvesting firewood, we always celebrate winter holidays in the country, there a fireplace. firewood again. Yes, and sawed out the old garden, planted a new one, and all with this cool assistant! I have it for 4 years. I advise everyone"!
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is one of the most popular models on the market. This saw stands out for its endurance, reliability, ease of use. Due to its substantial torque reserve, the Stihl 180 chainsaw can be operated not only in private households, but also on felling. At the same time, the tool shows a modest fuel consumption and high precision cutting of any wood species.
Stihl 180 chainsaw device
Structures Stihl 180 is characterized by simplicity, as well as high quality parts and assembly. The complete set of the model includes a 2-stroke gasoline engine with a volume of 31.8 cm3. The inner walls of the cylinder and the piston group of the internal combustion engine are coated with a protective substance made of chromium alloy. This extends the life of the engine and makes it resistant to corrosion. Recycled exhaust from the engine enters the muffler, diverted away from the operator. Among the advantages of the motor, high reliability, good torque reserve, and durability stand out. ICE does not need special care. All that is required of the owner is to use high-quality fuel and oil.
For cooling the motor meets the forced air system. Ematic’s proprietary lubrication system evenly distributes oil to engine parts. This allows you to extend their life, while saving engine oil. To dampen vibration, the Stihl 180 chainsaw is equipped with several dampers that take on the vibration of the motor.
To prepare the fuel mixture, a carburetor is provided in the saw device. The special design of this unit allows you to reduce fuel costs without loss in efficiency of the chainsaw.
The tool is started using the manual starter. The spark plug and ignition system are responsible for igniting the fuel in the cylinder of the chainsaw. The drive sprocket receives torque from the motor through a durable clutch system.
The working bodies of the model are represented by a saw bar and chain. To adjust the position of the chain on the tire, the saw is equipped with a side sprocket. It makes it possible to adjust the level of chain tension without additional tools. A gear stop can be installed in front of the tool. If necessary, instead of a tire for working with a saw, you can use various nozzles in the form of a drill or an angle grinder.
The tool kit includes shields protecting the right and left hand of the feller. The tool is equipped with an effective inertial brake to protect the chain from breaking. It instantly fires when a chain hits a nail or other solid object,
All spare parts and working mechanisms of the Stihl 180 saw are placed under a strong plastic case. It provides easy access to the candle, tanks for gasoline and oil, as well as to all screws and springs. This simplifies the maintenance and repair of the instrument with your own hands.
The model’s controls are represented by the ignition on and off button, the throttle valve shift lever, and the gas lever. In the side of the tool there is a handle and a starter cable.
The Stihl 180 chainsaw scheme is as simple and effective as possible. Thanks to ergonomics, lightness and small dimensions, the tool can be used not only by experienced fellers, but also by beginner gardeners. When working, the German Stihl MS 180 chainsaw will show high efficiency, regardless of weather conditions, as well as tasks.
Chainsaw Stihl МС 180. specifications
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw stands out with its solid technical parameters. These include:
- power. 2 l. from.;
- fuel tank capacity. 270 ml;
- tank capacity for oil filling. 260 ml;
- the possible length of the tire used for work is 30–35 cm;
- chain pitch. 3/8 "
- assembled weight. 4 kg.
Among the advantages of the model, modest fuel consumption should be noted. When operating at maximum loads, the motor consumes no more than 2.9 l / mash. hour.
Stihl 180 chainsaw delivery set
When buying this model, the farmer receives a complete list of equipment necessary for assembly, as well as the use of the tool.
The basic scope of supply of a chainsaw includes:
- tire, 35 cm long;
- a chain with a pitch of 3.8 "and a groove width of 1.3 mm;
- protective cover for the tire;
- user manual in Russian.
With the tool buyer also receives corporate key and a screwdriver, with which you can quickly disassemble the saw to its repair.
Proportion of oil and gasoline for Stihl 180 chainsaw
Before you start working directly with the German model Stihl MS 180, you will need to refuel it. An important role is played by compliance with the amount of gasoline and motor oil used. As indicated in the factory operating instructions, to mix the fuel, a proportion of 1:50 should be followed, that is, in 50 parts of gasoline, you need to mix 1 part of the oil. Thus, in 1 liter of fuel used, dilute no more than 20 ml of oil.
The quality of fuel and oil is also important. For refueling a Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, the manufacturer recommends using gasoline with an octane rating of at least 90. As a lubricant, motor oil for 2-stroke engines manufactured by Stihl is suitable.
How to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw?
To extend the life of the Stihl MS 180 saw, you need to study the features of its launch. The procedure for starting work with the tool is as follows:
- First, you will need to activate the saw chain brake mechanism. To do this, its regular plastic handle should be moved to the front position;
- Next, you need to remove the tire guard, press the decompression valve button. This will make it easier to start the motor, as well as the start of all important saw mechanisms;
- After that, you need to press the air pump fuel pump several times;
- Then you need to turn the combination switch to the only cold start position;
- Next, you need to install the tool on a flat surface so that the tire and chain do not touch the ground. Peel to capture both hands and step right foot on the ground at the rear of the saw. this will ensure the stability of the instrument;
- Then you need to slowly pull the starter handle toward you until resistance appears. After this, you will need to pull the cable a few times;
- With the engine running, you will need to press the saw throttle lever several times. At the same time, the standard combined switch should be moved to the idle position;
- Then you will need to pull the standard chain brake lever toward you until a characteristic click appears.
Running a Stihl MC 180 chainsaw. tips for beginners
Purchased Stihl chainsaw in the configuration of MS 180 must be rolled. This will enable the parts of the tool to get used to further coordinated work of the main mechanisms of the saw.
Before you run in the Stihl 180 chainsaw, you should refuel it with a new fuel mixture. You will also need to add fresh oil to lubricate the Stihl 180 chainsaw chain. The further procedure is as follows:
- First you need to turn off the chain brake to eliminate the risk of the body melting in the place where the clutch is installed. The brake will also protect the operator from possible damage;
- Next, start the saw and let it idle for 15 minutes. At the same time, every 30 seconds you need to press the throttle lever;
- After that, you need to transfer the saw to work in normal mode. At this time, you should start sawing thin branches, gradually moving to work with larger branches.
»As a rule, the preparation of the instrument takes no more than 30–35 minutes. During break-in and with the further use of the Stihl MS 180 saw, you must constantly ensure that nails and other solid objects do not fall under the chain.
Do-it-yourself carburetor adjustment for the Stihl 180 chainsaw
Setting up a Stihl MS 180 carburetor is essential to guarantee efficient saw operation when used at maximum speed and fuel economy. To perform this procedure, you will need to clean the air and standard fuel filters.
You can adjust the carburetor of the model using three regular screws. Screws L and H are needed for pre-setting the ratio of air to fuel mixture, which is regulated by different positions of the throttle valve. Screw S is responsible for fine-tuning the operation of the chainsaw at idle. The procedure for setting the carburetor is as follows:
- First you need to start the tool and begin to turn the screws H and L in turn clockwise until they stop. Then both screws will need to be slowly rotated 2 full turns in the opposite direction;
- After that, you need to find the maximum engine speed when the saw is idling. To do this, screw L must be turned in different directions alternately. In this case, the screws should not make creaking sounds. Once the basic maximum speed has been found, you will need to slowly turn the screw L a quarter of a turn against the clock hand;
After this, you need to alternately check the engine at minimum idle, and then at maximum speed.
Stihl 180 chainsaw. malfunctions and repairs
There are a number of typical failures that owners of the Stihl MS 180 model most often encounter. Having studied the causes of their occurrence, it will be easier for the feller to repair the failures with their own hands.
Why not start a Stihl 180 chainsaw?
The main cause of this malfunction is the poor condition of the Stihl MS 180 spark plug. If it is dry, then fuel does not enter the cylinder. If the candle is wet, then you need to find the place where the fuel pipe flows.
In any case, for further work with the Stihl MS 180 saw, you will need to unscrew the candle, clean it of carbon deposits and dry it. The same thing needs to be done with the parts located under the candles. At the end, you need to screw the candle into place and continue working with the saw.
Why pours a candle on a Stihl 180 chainsaw?
The essence of this failure is problems with the carburetor. For repair, you will need to remove this element, as well as check its membrane. In working condition, the part must be not only intact, but also flexible. If the membrane is roughened, then it will need to be replaced.
Before reassembling the Stihl MS 180 carburetor, it must be cleaned of dust and carbon. To do this, use compressed air in the cylinder. After the unit has completely dried, it can be assembled and installed back onto the chainsaw.
What to do if oil does not flow to the Stihl 180 chainsaw chain?
If you do not lubricate the chain saw on the German Stihl MS 180, it indicates blockages or malfunctioning line along which the oil circulates. To solve the problem, you will need to remove the tool handle, pull out the hose and clean it. After this, the hose must be installed back onto the saw, and grease the installation site with sealant.
Another reason why oil is not supplied is the blockage of the Stihl MS 180 pump. To remedy the situation, you will need to remove the pump and rinse it in clean gasoline. If this does not help, the part will need to be replaced.
Stihl 180 chainsaw stalls when you press the gas. how to solve the problem?
If the model stalls while the engine is gaining speed, this indicates a clogged fuel filter. Because of this, the element is not able to pass the fuel, which is necessary to increase the speed of the Stihl MS 180 engine.
In this case, remove the fuel filter and rinse it with clean gasoline. If this does not help, then carefully check the factory air filter. If a large amount of garbage has accumulated in it, then it will need to be replaced with a new element.
What if the saw stalls idling?
If the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw stalls some time after starting in idle mode, this indicates a fuel pump failure. To verify this, you need to use a vacuum gauge. If the device showed a pump malfunction, then the mechanism will need to be replaced.
Another reason for the malfunction is the wear of the Stihl MS 180 oil seals. After using the saw for a long time, they lose their shape and elasticity, passing a large amount of fuel. In case of wear of the glands, they will need to be replaced.
A chainsaw is bad to start up in the cold. repair
Most often, the cause of this malfunction is the initially incorrectly set gap between the ignition coil and the flywheel of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw. In this case, you need to disassemble the tool and take measurements between the contacts and the flywheel.
If the clearance is greater than 0.2 mm, then it must be reduced with a pair of side screws. To do this, you need to insert a paper business card or pocket calendar between the flywheel and the standard ignition coil. After that, by turning the screws, the flywheel should be brought closer to the ignition coil so that they hold the business card. In the end, it remains to carefully remove the paper and assemble the saw.