Now, most of the construction and installation work is not only for professionals, but also for amateurs. A considerable merit in this is the emergence of a huge number of tools and additions to them. Attention deserves the bits for a screwdriver, thanks to which you can perform several construction and repair tasks.
What are bits for a screwdriver?
The nozzles mated for special connections, with which fasteners are screwed or unscrewed. bits for a screwdriver. Their features are as follows:
- They consist of a hexagonal shank clamped by a tool holder or adapter and the working part (screwdriver).
- When buying a set of bits for a screwdriver, it is better to have a sample of fasteners that you will need to use.
- It would be nice to know the brand of the tool so that the bit is denser fixed in the screwdriver. this is a guarantee of good work and an increase in the life of the device.
Kinds of bits
Depending on what material or what shape they are made of, there are such varieties of bits for screws:
- According to the shape of the working part: basic, special, combined.
- By marking the shape of the working part: flat or slotted bits, universal cruciform, cruciform later development and more modern standard, "asterisk" and others.
- By material: The most common form is made of chromium-vanadium steel. There are chrome-molybdenum bits coated with nickel, carbide and tungsten, and also with a titanium nitride yellow coating.
Most often they use standard nozzles in work, so they are included in any set. Having only them, you can easily twist or unscrew almost any fixture: screws, screws, nuts and more. Here are what they are:
- Straight or slotted bit. This is a common classic option.
- Cross gained even wider distribution. The cross bit for a screwdriver can be universal, its main difference is that the slot expands to the base. A more modern version has a straight slot along the entire length. Such products unscrew even rusty fasteners.
- Hexagon are used to work with fasteners with an internal hexagon.
- Star bits they are used for a screwdriver when repairing cars, they are very convenient: the process of twisting them is not complicated, and the fasteners are held securely. Magnetized products are much more expensive than without magnets.
Special or professional screwdriver bits are used in narrow areas. This may be the repair of household appliances, industrial equipment and the like. It is worth highlighting from them:
- Trihedral bits, they are almost the same as Hh bits, but they have only three faces.
- Double pin, this bit has two horns-shaped protrusions.
- Drywall bits with a special limiter, which serves to protect fragile materials.
- Bits with spring clips, they are very convenient if you have to work in narrow and inaccessible places, since they tighten the fasteners at an angle of 30 °.
Video: Screwdriver Bits Which Are Stronger
How to choose bits?
The choice is huge, but even products that are ideally suited to a screwdriver and fasteners may be of inadequate quality. To make the right choice, you need to pay attention to the following:
- The material of manufacture.
- Processing technology. Milling and forging are used, the first method allows you to give the necessary shape, and the second. the strength of the product.
- The hardness of the material varies around 58-60 HRC, soft grind, but do not break. On the other hand, hard ones are fragile, but for a long time they remain unstressed.
- Design Features. Magnetic bits for a screwdriver sometimes greatly facilitate the work, but they are not good for every occasion. Bits with a torsion part are ideal for an impact driver, they smooth out impacts.
In order to choose professional bits for a screwdriver, you need to know what the letters on them mean.
- Direct. Marking with the Latin letter S (slot).
- Cross. Ph (Philips). a universal type with four ribs and Pz (Pozidrive). they are more modern, have four additional ribs.
- Hexagon bits are denoted by the letter H (Hex socket).
- Star bits marked with the letter T (Torx) with a number.
When buying a set of bits and heads for a screwdriver, you need to pay special attention to the dimensions:
- Direct. slot width, from 3 to 9 mm. Tip thickness from 0.5 to 1.6 mm.
- Cross bits. the length can be from 2.5 to 15 cm, five sizes: from Ph-0 (0-2.5 mm) to Ph-4 (up to 6 mm), the common size is 2 mm.
- Hex bits come in sizes from 6 to 13 mm, more often you need an option of 8 mm. They are: classic, with a size of 1.5-10 mm, with an internal hole. 1.5-6 mm, elongated. a size of 3 to 8 mm and a length of 5-10 cm.
- Star bits there are: classic, have dimensions T8-T40. Plus with titanium coating or inner bore. from T10 to T40. Elongated: from T10 to T40, 5-10 cm long.
The simplest screwdriver bits are made of steel R-7. R-12, they are very durable and resistant to any kind of damage, but can be subject to corrosion. In order to remove this drawback, they came up with the addition of a coating of vanadium and chromium. Even stronger. nozzles with a coating, which includes titanium: titanium-nitride and titanium-tungsten spraying. If you plan to actively use the bit, then it is better to use nozzles with a diamond coating, their working surface is less prone to grinding.
The screwdriver accessories come in the following forms:
- Direct Slot Bits. Sometimes supplemented with special stops, used when working with drywall and furniture.
- Cruciform. apply when interacting with wood and metal, allow you to twist the fasteners at an angle.
- Hexagon– used when assembling furniture.
- Star-shaped. widespread use in car services, the spinning process is effortless and reliable.
- Special forms have non-standard forms of inserts, for example, a square working half, four blades and others.
The search for the answer to the question of what better bandages for a screwdriver to purchase led to the creation of a rating of manufacturers. All of them produce products that are in approximately the same price category. Here are the most popular brands today:
How to insert a bat into a screwdriver?
Each bit for a screwdriver of any company can be easily inserted if you know a couple of points. A special magnetic holder will help in this, it will greatly simplify the work if it is inserted into the cartridge.
- The cartridge is clamped with the left hand, and with the thumb of the right hand, you need to press the rotation switch back.
- With the index finger, press the work button, this will lead to the promotion of a chuck with a screwdriver.
- The drill is inserted and everything happens in the reverse order: the left hand holds the chuck, the right index finger pushes the forward rotation switch and then the operation button.
- The tightening torque mode is selected, this is the first weakest clamp, or the maximum. the drilling moment.