In the chainsaw design, the starter is responsible for the proper start of the tool engine. Over time, chainsaw owners face the need to repair this important node. And the sooner the problem is resolved, the less important other parts and mechanisms of the tool will wear out.
The device and the principle of operation of the chainsaw starter.
Most well-known chainsaw manufacturers equip their products with starters operating on almost the same principle. Its essence is as follows: in the groove of the saw case, there is a handle through which passes the cord. With a sharp lifting of the handle, the cord pulls out, which leads to the engagement of the drum, which locates in the ratchet mechanism. Through this, actuates a drum with spitz which locates on the shaft. During this, the crankshaft makes a couple of turns, which leads to compression of the fuel mixture, which at this point is between the cylinder head and the piston. When lowering the handle, on the contrary, the ratchet and the spitz lose their contact, which causes the shaft to stop.
With increasing, power chainsaw increases the amount of fuel mixture, which you should ignite when starting the chainsaw. In this case, to start the engine, you need to increase the number of jerks of the starter cord. To accelerate the return of the drum mechanism manufacturers use a special steel return spring starter, which has excellent elasticity.
To facilitate the chainsaw launch, leading brands use other methods:
- Pre-enrichment of the fuel mixture using a separate damper;
- Installation of automatic valve decompression, which provides a decrease in pressure inside the cylinder of the chainsaw;
- Installing a primer designed to pump fuel before starting the engine.
The use of one of these technologies greatly facilitates the start-up and prolongs the life of the starter, which is especially noticeable at low temperatures.
Typical breakdowns and repair of chainsaw starter.
The appearance of various faults starter leads to the inability to start a chainsaw.
The most frequent starter failures include:
- The starter pulley completely burst, or cracks appeared on it;
- Spring burst;
- The starter cable broke.
To eliminate each of these faults with your own hands, you will need certain tools. You should have a set of screwdrivers and a spare cable.
Retrieve and inspect the chainsaw starter in the following order:
- To find the cause of the failure of the starter with the chainsaw you will need to remove it. To do this, unscrew the screws with a screwdriver, which hold the protective cover with the starter attached to it;
- After removing the cover, you must carefully loosen the screw through which the starter is attached to the protective cover;
- Then you need to try to start the starter smoothly. to do this, remove the spring and clips from it;
- Next from the starter for inspection is removed coil with a cable.
As a result of the inspection, you may discover several typical faults.
- Various damage to the pulley in the form of gaps or cracks, mainly in the back of the part. they interfere with the normal operation of the entire starter;
- Damage to the lightweight start starter spring. in such cases, not only the spring itself can be faulty, but also the place of its fixation is the most vulnerable part of the spring;
- Starter flywheel damaged.
In any case, any defective part must be completely replaced by a new part.
How to replace the starter spring chainsaw?
In order to replace the old spring disassembled starter must act in the following order:
- Before you install the chainsaw starter spring, you will need to remove the mechanism clip. this should be done very carefully so as not to break the part;
- Then you need to look inside the clip. in it you will see a spring wrapped around the C-shaped element. To pull out the spring, fix the upper part of it with your finger and pull the starter handle a little to the side;
- After removing the old spring is necessary to wind the new part. At the same time try to avoid bending and twisting the new spring element;
- To assemble the chainsaw starter spring you will need to act as carefully as possible. Otherwise, one wrong move may lead to the unwinding of the part;
- After you have managed to completely insert the spring into the starter, you must carefully fix the clip.
At the last stage, it will only be necessary to assemble the chainsaw starter and try to start the tool. It is possible that you will have to make from 10 to 20 jerks. this is necessary for the spring to fall into place finally.