The Stihl MS 180 gasoline saw for domestic use is one of the most popular models of the modern market. Among its main plant advantages, gardeners distinguish increased reliability, resistance to vibration, flexible traction parameters and efficiency. Relatively small physical dimensions and sufficiently light weight allow the saw to be used freely in conditions of very limited space without the risk of damage to decorative plantings or the tool body.
Stihl 180 chainsaw device
One of the most famous production models of the Stihl brand. modification MS 180. has a well-balanced, high-precision design. All internal elements and working mechanisms of the gas tool are planted as tightly and firmly as possible, so that sawdust and small debris do not leak into the case. When working with this popular household chainsaw, no backlash occurs, which makes its operation not only effective, but also pleasant.
Like other representatives of the model range of this manufacturer, the branded Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is pre-equipped with a high-quality power unit. The gas tool engine was developed using the proprietary technology of a German company, which made it economical and even more productive than gas tools of other well-known companies.
ICE branded Stihl chainsaw consists of a reliable crankshaft with reduced weight and increased friction resistance. The piston group of the motor is made using hot forging technology, due to which its service life has increased almost 2 times. The cylinder, with a useful volume of 31.8 cm 3, is pre-coated with a continuous layer of chrome alloy, which protects it from corrosion.
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is initially equipped with a high-precision fuel system. A long-lasting Japanese carburetor, equipped with spring-loaded screws for the possibility of self-adjustment of the unit, is embedded in its factory basis. The carburetor’s standard equipment includes the Stihl branded compensator, designed to continuously maintain constant ICE power and stabilize fuel consumption in any condition of the air filter. The presence of this element increases the cycles between filter cleaning and keeps the composition of the exhaust gases within acceptable environmental standards.
To facilitate easy starting, the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is pre-equipped with a manual starter mechanism developed using Elasto Start proprietary technology. It provides for a shock absorber under the starter handle, which effectively dampens strong vibrations, reducing pressure on the operator’s hands. All built-in parts of the trigger mechanism of the model are made of strong and fairly light forged metals. Parts withstand significant heat and are not susceptible to corrosion.
The Stihl 180 chainsaw is pre-equipped with a proprietary tensioner located in the lower right of the standard housing. Free keyless access to it allows you to adjust the chain or quickly dismantle the cutting headset in order to install special nozzles.
The Stihl factory chainsaw lubrication system consists of an oil pump, the performance of which can be adjusted according to the needs of the operator. The pump quickly pumps oil from a separate translucent tank and transfers it to the grooves with which the company tire is equipped. The oil pump is located under the protective cover of the housing, removing which the operator gets the opportunity to make its own repairs.
The basic equipment of the model is preliminarily included a wear-resistant clutch based on an all-metal drive sprocket. It is mounted on a forged drum, simplified access to which allows you to quickly disassemble the tool for scheduled maintenance.
The ignition system is responsible for the timely ignition of the fuel mixture in the design of the Stihl MS 180 model. Its basic structure includes a coil with a primary and secondary winding installed on it, as well as a candle that transfers a spark to the cylinder.
For a uniform cut, a gear stop is included in the complete set of the gas tool. Its presence allows the operator to evenly cut even the hardest wood, leaving a neat cut line.
Chainsaw Stihl МС 180. specifications
The use of exclusively high-quality and durable parts by the manufacturer allowed to significantly increase the operating parameters of the model. Stihl MS 180 gas tool features include:
- power. 2 l. from.;
- speed of the built-in crankshaft at idle / maximum speeds. 2800/9000 rpm;
- fuel consumption at 9000 rpm. 350 ml / h;
- fuel tank. 250 ml;
- tire length. not more than 35 cm;
- chain pitch 3/8 ″;
- weight with headset installed. 4.25 kg.
Thanks to its high-precision balancing and effective rubber-metal dampers, this model shows a relatively low level of vibration. When operating at a speed of 9000 rpm, this figure is 6.6 and 7.8 m / s 2 to the right and left side, respectively.
Proportion of oil and gasoline for Stihl 180 chainsaw
The proportion for self-mixing gasoline and factory oil must be 1:40. This means that in 1 liter of fuel you need to thoroughly mix 40 ml of concentrated motor oil.
To prepare the mixture, it is best to use a small metal canister. Plastic containers are best avoided, as the fuel mixture reacts fairly quickly with plastic.
How to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw?
During the start-up of a Stihl chainsaw, the operator must follow a certain procedure. This will not only protect the owner of the saw from accidental damage, but also extend the life of the most important working parts of the chain tool.
The procedure for starting the saw should be as follows:
- Before starting the start, make sure that the inertial mechanical brake is working. To turn it on, the lever will need to be moved to its extreme forward position;
- Then you need to remove the proprietary protective plastic case;
- Further, the operator will need to repeatedly intensively press the button for manual pumping of fuel located directly in the rear of the body of the saw used;
- After that, you need to put the lever for adjusting the position of the built-in damper into cold start mode. To do this, you must turn on the gas lever lock, and squeeze the combined plastic switch to its lowest position;
- Then you need to install the chainsaw so that its cutting headset is directed in the direction opposite to the operator. In this case, the chain and the tire must not touch the ground and other foreign objects;
- Next, you need to grab the saw with both hands. The left hand must be installed on the handle, and the right hand on the trigger cable. The toe of the right leg must be placed on the rear handle to prevent the saw from tipping over;
- Then you will need to slowly pull out the starter cable. In this case, the operator should feel a slight resistance;
- Next, you need to pull the cable a lot several times over yourself. as a result, the motor should start and stop on its own;
- Then it is necessary to transfer the combined switch to the middle position, to the half-gas mode;
- After that, the operator must restart the power unit. as a result, he will begin to work stably;
- In the next step, you need to briefly press the throttle lever. As a result, the flap position switch should automatically enter the engine operation mode at idle;
- In the end, the operator must turn off the built-in inertia brake while holding his left hand on the standard handle.
Video: Stihl Ms 180 Bad Starts Cold
Before starting active use of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, the operator must make sure that the cutting system lubrication system is in good condition. To do this, press the throttle lever while holding the saw over a light surface. If small spots of oil appear on it, then the cutting organs are lubricated, and the operator can begin to operate the tool.
Running chainsaw Stihl МС 180 – rules and recommendations
The branded instruction manual for the popular Stihl brand household model indicates that before intensive work with gasoline tools on the site, it will need to be run-in. over, this procedure must be carried out not only before the first working cycle, but also after each long downtime of the saw.
You can run the Stihl 180 chainsaw in this order:
- First, the operator must assemble the saw and install a cutting headset on it. It is impossible to run-in on the tool without a tire and chain, since all its components, including cutting organs, must undergo training;
- Filling the saw with a fuel mixture prepared in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, you need to start its engine and leave it to work until the first fuel tank is fully developed. In this case, the operator must make short-term pressure on the gas lever with an interval of 45-60 seconds;
- Next, you will need to refuel the saw and start sawing fine wood. During the work you need to take 10-minute breaks at intervals of 20-25 minutes;
- After developing the second tank, you need to refuel the saw and begin work on sawing medium-sized wood.
In the end, the operator will only have to refill the Stihl tool and start cutting large branches and logs. At the same time, make sure that the engine does not overheat. To do this, you need to take breaks every 30 minutes of work.
Do-it-yourself carburetor adjustment for the Stihl 180 chainsaw
The Stihl MS 180 saw operator can adjust the carburetor in the following sequence:
- First you need to set the basic settings. To do this, the screws marked with the letters H and L must be slowly tightened in the direction of the clock hands to the very end. After that, the metal screws need to be turned out one by one 2 full turns in the opposite direction;
- Then you will need to configure the motor to work in low speed mode. To do this, the factory screw L will need to be slowly turned in the direction of the clock until the engine is stabilized. Immediately after this, the built-in metal screw must be turned a quarter turn in the opposite direction;
- You can stop the chain rotating on the bus by turning the screw S in different directions;
- To adjust the motor at the maximum permissible speed, you need to connect a hand tachometer to the saw. Next, by turning the screw H, you need to achieve the speed at which the performance of the device will completely match the instructions in the instructions for the saw.
If the carburettor has been adjusted correctly, the Stihl saw motor will quickly gain momentum by smoothly pressing the throttle lever. Otherwise, the adjustment will need to be repeated.
Stihl 180 chainsaw. malfunctions and repairs
Most often, problems with the Stihl MS 180 model occur due to the fault of the users themselves. Untimely service, blows, and fuel mixture, originally prepared by the operator in the wrong proportion. all this harms the working mechanisms of the saw. You can fix most failures yourself. for this you need to determine in advance the causes of malfunctions and options for their self-repair.
Why doesn’t the Stihl 180 chainsaw start?
The cause of this failure most often is damage to the engine. Due to the long-term operation of the motor at high speeds, vibration is created, which leads to a violation of the gaps and the loss of details of their original installation site.
To solve the problem on their own, the operator must disassemble the engine’s CPG and check its walls. If minor burrs or cracks appear on them, then the surface of the cylinder can be sanded manually. If the defects are serious enough, only a complete replacement of the power unit will help to solve the problem.
Pours a candle on a Stihl 180 chainsaw
This problem is associated with the use of fuel oversaturated with engine oil. In this case, the grease residue flows out of the cylinder and onto the spark plug. If you use oversaturated fuel long enough, then a thick layer of tarry deposits will form on the candle, which will prevent the formation of a spark.
To repair a Stihl saw, you need to carefully remove the candle and clean it with a rag soaked in clean gasoline. After the part has completely dried, it needs to be screwed into place and try to start the Stihl saw. If this does not work, then the candle needs to be replaced.
Oil does not flow to the Stihl chainsaw chain
There may be several reasons for this malfunction. The first of these is a violation of the tightness of the tube through which the oil passes to lubricate the chain of the Stihl 180 chainsaw. If breakdowns or cracks were found in it during inspection, the tube will need to be replaced.
In some cases, the Stihl chainsaw does not lubricate the chain due to a broken needle bearing. There is no point in repairing it, so the element must be replaced immediately.
The third reason that oil is not supplied is a blockage or breakdown of the oil pump. In this case, you need to disassemble the pump and completely clean it of the remnants of accumulated and dried oil. If some parts of the pump are broken or worn out, then the mechanism is best replaced.
The Stihl 180 chainsaw stalls when you press the gas
This problem is the result of the late maintenance of the Stihl garden chain tool. In this case, you will need to check the air and fuel filters, as well as the rubber gaskets located between the work units.
All dirt accumulated on the surface of the filters will need to be removed by placing the elements in clean gasoline for a day. If the filters were damaged, they must be changed.
Chainsaw stalls idling
Due to constant vibration, the carburetor factory settings are violated, which leads to an arbitrary stop of fuel supply and shutdown of the Stihl chainsaw motor. To repair the saw, you will need to configure the fuel assembly.
In some cases, the cause of self-shutdown of the power unit is the accumulation of debris on the air filter. A thorough cleaning or a complete replacement will help to solve the problem.
What to do if you saw does not start cold?
The most common cause of this standard failure is a violation of the original clearance between the factory forged flywheel and the integrated ignition coil. For the normal start of the Stihl saw in any condition of its motor, the distance between these elements must certainly be no more than 0.2 mm. Otherwise, the engine will not start.
To fix the breakdown yourself, you will need to adjust the required clearance. For this, the operator needs a special template, by setting which, he will be able to adjust the position of the flywheel and magneto.