Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start: main reasons
Today, many manufacturers are engaged in the production of units for agricultural and construction work, among which the most demanded is the equipment manufactured by Stihl. High level of quality. This is not the only reason why the products of this manufacturer are popular in the market. This was also facilitated by the democratic price and optimal power that the models of this brand have.
It seems that many have had to use a chainsaw of a similar brand. And not just use, but regularly perform a wide variety of work and make sure of the high performance characteristics of this tool. Such distribution of THESE products is no coincidence, considering that in addition to power, this instrument stands out for its graceful design. However, one must remember that this is still a technique in which the resource of work is limited. Therefore, each owner of such a unit at some point is faced with the need for repair. Next, we will talk about the features of repairing the Stihl 180 chainsaw.
Saw won’t start: reasons and solutions
- Speaking of dust 180, it must be said that this tool has many advantages. At the same time, NOT only this unit and disadvantages. Attention will be paid to them.
- It is a common situation that many owners find themselves in when the Stihl chainsaw does not start and fills in a candle. This is usually attributed to the theca formation of the oil used to lubricate the chain. The same happens for the reason that over time, the area where the hose of the oil pump and the oil tank joins loses its former tightness.
- In principle, this problem is solvable, but in order to do everything correctly, you need to take into account the design of the chainsaw in question. By itself, this process provides for certain nuances, first of all, it is necessary to disassemble the unit, and without this it will be impossible to get to the right place.
- For many owners of this saw, the question is, why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? Experts give the following recommendation on this matter: the first thing to do for those who are faced with a similar problem. Open and then close the lid located on the gas tank. There is also another solution. You need to remove the candle and let it dry. You can also create the effect of artificial ventilation for the combustion chamber. Most often, these recommendations are enough to bring the device back to working condition. However, this does not always help to restore the operation of the Stihl chainsaw.
- If there is a spark, but attempts to start the chainsaw lead to nothing, then in this case you need to check the supply of gasoline, the air filter, and then make sure that the spark plug is working. Such manipulations must be done for the reason that most often this kind of malfunction is caused by contamination of the breather. And if a plug forms in it, then, naturally, a vacuum environment will be created in the gas tank, due to which the fuel will not flow. A similar problem can be solved quite simply, for which it is enough to remove the dirt using a needle.
- Some owners face this problem when the saw itself starts, but immediately starts to stall. Look for the reason that the saw does not start, you should go to the carburetor. Most likely, he managed to clog up and afterwards does not allow the tool to work correctly.
- To make sure that the breather is NOT the cause of the malfunction, and it is in working order, you must first disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor, and then find out if there is any fuel.
- Keep in mind that it is natural for your chainsaw to have a strong and steady stream of gasoline. In addition, it is often possible to observe a situation when the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start hot and immediately stalls at the same moment or after a while. Usually a similar malfunction is associated with a muffler. Most likely, it has accumulated a lot of deposits associated with long-term operation of the tool, which is usually accompanied by the formation of exhaust.
- At the same time, the saw may stop starting if the tool chain is poorly lubricated. This can be facilitated by channels that have a plug, or the reason should be looked for in an oil line that has a leak.
- Theca in the connecting pipes or in the place where the oil pump fittings are installed can become a serious problem.
- There are cases when the Stihl 180 chainsaw begins to stall due to a failed cylinder. To make sure if this is really so, it is enough to conduct an inspection. If, as a result of the examination, you find irregularities and chips, then this is a clear sign of breakage.
The dust in question can be considered a compact option, because its weight is only 3.9 kg. At the same time, it has a large oil and fuel tank. A two-stroke engine helps the device to perform its working functions, the power of which is sufficient for solving simple tasks. In addition, this instrument does NOT generate a lot of noise during operation, the level of which does NOT exceed 98 dB. For ease of understanding, it is enough to say that human speech creates noise at a level of 76 dB.
- The Stihl 180 chainsaw has a power of 2.6 watts. In principle, this is enough, remember that we are talking about a tool for household use.
- The capacity of the oil tank is 0.145 l, fuel tank. 0.25 l.
- Designed for 350mm tire with 0.325 inch pitch.
As with other saws, the carburetor acts as the main starting device. Considering in more detail the carburetor, which the Stihl 180 chainsaw is equipped with, it should be noted that it has a single tuning screw. In other words, it is a kind of idle speed adjustment screw. In this case, the nozzle, which has a full load, is stationary all the time.
In other words, the regulation is not applicable to it. In turn, there is no way to influence the full load in any way. You also need to pay attention to the factory settings, because of which the air / fuel mixture is supplied directly to the engine. over, this principle remains regardless of the operating conditions of the tool.
- For many owners, the question of the correct idle speed after emptying the fuel from the gasoline tanks is relevant for many owners. According to experts, there is no need to worry too much about this. However, if you have to deal with a similar problem often, then it is enough to manipulate the carburetor by reducing the engine speed in order to restore the normal operation of the tool.
- In some cases, the owner may need to clean the muffler as this part may be the cause of the malfunction. This operation is easy enough. It must be remembered that many owners are faced with problematic chainsaw operation due to a faulty carburetor.
- Although in SEPARATE cases it can be quite simple to eliminate the malfunction, it is most preferable if specialists will repair this equipment. After all, not each of us has the necessary knowledge and skills, and this is fraught with the fact that during self-troubleshooting there is a risk of completely disabling the tool.
The characteristics of this saw are a reason for the pride of the German manufacturer. In this case, the unit is a tool that is designed to perform a small amount of work. The tool is positioned for domestic use, which confirms the intensity of its use, which should NOT exceed 20 hours per month. Having at your disposal such a unit, it will not be difficult to maintain order in your garden, to prepare firewood for the winter, as well as to clear areas. At the same time, he will be able to help you in solving other problems where there is no need to perform complex manipulations.
Is NOT gaining momentum
Many mechanisms of the mechanism are involved in the start-up, therefore, the loss of speed of the Stihl chainsaw after idling can be a consequence of various factors. Confident idling and interruptions in the motor under load can occur for the following reasons:
- Development of the engine resource;
- Wear, deformation and corrosion of the piston group;
- Faulty ignition coil or spark plug;
- Unbalanced carburetor screws.
If the tool does NOT develop speed, then the conduction of the hole in the fuel tank cap is broken. The formation of a vacuum does not provide the required amount of fuel, therefore the engine does NOT gain the required power. Turnover decreases when carbon monoxide accumulates in the muffler, it is difficult to remove gases from combustion.
Broken crankshaft bearings
In case of bearing defects, a slight backlash is felt. To detect it, the flywheel of the Stihl MS 180 saw is swinging from one side to the other. The movement indicates that the flywheel is being pulled towards the electrodes by its own magnets, resulting in no spark. To remove the mechanism, dismantle the cutting element, remove the filter and clutch cover. For the crankshaft stopper, remove the manual starter cover and tighten the two bolts.
The clutch is unscrewed with a wrench clockwise. Remove the drum with an asterisk, change the old clutch and tighten it all the way. The crankshaft is locked so as not to break the starter. The mechanism is assembled in the reverse order. To tighten, the brake handle is tilted forward, the tool is started, then removed from the brake.
Less often, bearings with a drawback are detected (the diameter of the holes in the cage is increased). For determination, disassemble and measure with a micrometer. Broken bearings indicate regular knocking. In this case, urgent repair is required, since K. If the integrity of the crankshaft is violated, the piston group and cylinder will fail.
Malfunction of ignition coil
The module or coil is NOT disassembled, and its suitability is difficult to determine without testing devices. Modern ignition systems are durable, lightweight and small in size. They are characterized by nearly fail-safe functionality. Problems with chainsaw malfunction due to the ignition coil can be fixed by yourself.
Lead wires are tested for damage (including internal ones) that arise due to vibration, leading to friction. If no cracks are found, then replacement of the ignition coil is required. Sometimes a weak, subtle flash when the saw heats up indicates a module malfunction. This is due to an increase in the temperature of the coil, which leads to an increase in the resistance of the transistor.
The peculiarity is that at the beginning of work, a spark may appear, but after prolonged use it becomes dull and disappears. Modern ignition coils in a home workshop are NOT repaired, therefore they are replaced with suitable elements.
When you hit the gas
The sawing units are idling, but the chain saw stalls when the gas is pressed, because the load increases. The tool is warmed up before use, the engine runs at idle for a minute. If this is neglected, the motor will stop after pressing the pedal. Other reasons could be:
- Clogged or unregulated combustible fuel mixing assembly;
- A clogged air filter does not provide the required air flow when the load increases;
- A dirty gasoline filter DOES NOT pass the required amount of mixture;
- Cylinder and piston wall rubbing.
A low octane number of fuel becomes a prerequisite for braking, since this circumstance does not allow the engine to reach the required power with an increase in load.
The main reasons why the Stihl chainsaw does not start and how to fix them
German saws STIHL (Stihl) have long established themselves as a high-quality and reliable cutting tool. The company offers a wide range of models for various needs:
- Low-power chainsaws for working in the garden or in the country for cutting shrubs and felling trees with a small diameter trunk, harvesting firewood: MS 170 (1.3 kW), MS 211 (1.7 kW), MS 230 (2 kW) and others.
- Chainsaws of medium power, ideal for farmers, gardeners and builders: MS 271 (2.6 kW) and MS 310 (3.2 kW).
- Super powerful saws with a gasoline engine, characterized by high performance and suitable for all industrial and household work related to the processing of wood of various hardness: MS 361 (3.4 kW), MS 361 (5.2 kW) and others.
- Battery-powered saws and saws that do not require refueling, but are also great for small summer cottages: e.g. MSE 250 C-Q or MSA 220 C-B (with AP 300 S and AL 500).
The lightweight and compact model of the tool is used for domestic purposes, but, despite the optimized performance, sometimes the Stihl chainsaw does not start. Problems are manifested in the fact that the engine turns on and stalls, is unstable, cannot develop the intended power or suddenly picks up high revs.
Stihl chainsaw stalls: reasons
If the tool turns off immediately after starting, it means that a breakdown of some device or part has occurred. To determine the reason, the mechanism is tested independently or in service workshops. Sometimes the premise that the mechanism does not start well is improper saw maintenance:
- There is not enough gasoline;
- Poorly prepared fuel mixture;
- Poor lubricant quality;
- Silencer clogged with combustion products;
- Unadjusted carburetor;
- Obstruction of the air filter;
- Malfunctioning piston or cylinder.
Checking the breather and cleaning it.
The breather is another element, from the improper operation of which the chainsaw may not start or stall during the sawing process. This element is located on the fuel tank cap in the area of the air hole. This is a kind of valve that does not allow gasoline to flow out and equalizes the air pressure required for the free flow of fuel into the carburetor.
If the breather is dirty, the working chainsaw stalls, and when started it refuses to start. The thing is that air stops flowing through the hole. As a result, a negative pressure (vacuum) is created inside the fuel tank, which prevents the flow of gasoline into the carburetor.
Defining the problem is pretty straightforward. Disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor and see what happens to the gasoline. If it flows out freely in a good trickle, then everything is in order with the breather. If it is absent or it flows weakly and intermittently, then the reason for the identification. The breather is clogged with dirt. You can solve the problem by cleaning the air hole with a regular needle or a powerful jet of compressed air.
Checking the spark on the spark plug and troubleshooting.
The first step in finding the reasons why the gasoline saw won’t start is to check the spark on the spark plug. There are many factors that affect the performance of this element. However, the main ones at the initial stage of instrument troubleshooting are:
- Incorrect carburetor adjustment;
- The presence of more than it should be, the amount of oil in gasoline;
- Clogged air filter.
All of them contribute to the formation of carbon deposits on the spark plug electrode. In 50 cases out of 100, the saws DO NOT start on cold due to the absence of a spark due to carbon deposits on the electrode and their corrosion. As a result, the gap either decreases or increases.
Checking the spark plug in an idle chainsaw
Checking for a spark is fairly easy. This will require:
- Remove the tip of the high-voltage wire;
- Unscrew the candle;
- Put the tip back on;
- Lean the candle with a skirt to the cylinder;
- Start with a starter.
If a good spark is observed between the electrodes at the time the chainsaw engine starts, then everything is in order with the ignition unit. If it is not there, then it is worth cleaning the element itself and checking the gap of the electrodes. If necessary, using a special probe Adjust the distance between the contacts.
There may be no spark on the spark plug for other reasons. Of the main faults that affect the poor start of the chainsaw and the unstable operation of the internal combustion engine at idle, which the tool can stall, the following can be attributed:
- Overfilling the spark plug channel with fuel;
- Lack of contact between the high-voltage cradle and the tip of the candle;
- Failure of the ignition unit.
How will a cold chainsaw start if the candle channel is constantly flooding with gasoline? To eliminate the problem at the time of starting the tool, you can use the following algorithm:
- Unscrew the candle with a special key;
- Wipe it with a clean and dry cloth;
- Dry for 20.30 minutes;
- Remove carbon deposits with a file and adjust the gap between the electrodes;
- Drain the remaining fuel from the spark plug channel and dry it;
- Collect everything and try to start the mechanism.
If there is no spark and poor contact of the high-voltage tube with the spark plug tip, check the connection. The check can be done using a conventional tester. If a defect is found and it is eliminated, the chainsaw should start without any problems.
If the check showed that the contact is reliable, and the saw does not start further, look for the cause in the ignition unit. As a rule, a faulty unit cannot be repaired or restored. A complete replacement is required here.
Chainsaw outlet check.
One of the reasons that a chainsaw does not start well may be a clogged exhaust channel or its muffler. At the same time, a drop in power is noted in the process of sawing lumber and logs. Most often this occurs due to resinous deposits on the spark arrestor or muffler channel, which are formed during the combustion of a poor-quality mixture of gasoline and oil, which impede the removal of exhaust gases.
A resonator clogged with carbon deposits can cause a poor start of a gasoline saw.
Eliminate the cause of the poor start of the chainsaw, in this case, you can remove the accumulated combustion products. To do this, we will perform a number of manipulations:
- Remove the muffler by unscrewing the screws;
- Remove the cooling panel and gasket;
- Remove spark arresters;
- Let’s disassemble the resonator body;
- Wash all elements from carbon deposits with detergent;
- Let them dry completely;
- Collect everything in reverse order;
Searching for reasons why the chainsaw won’t start
Amateur and professional chainsaws are complex devices. The service life of their two-stroke engines, components and assemblies has its own limitations. For this reason, quite reliable and expensive tools, along with cheap Chinese units, periodically fail and refuse to start. The situation when the chainsaw does not start or stalls is not very pleasant and sometimes confuses the user. How to identify and eliminate the malfunction, returned the tool to work.
- Identification and elimination of obvious faults of the chainsaw.
- Checking the spark on the spark plug and troubleshooting.
- Determine the availability of fuel and its supply.
- Checking the condition of the fuel and air filters.
- Checking the breather and cleaning it.
- Chainsaw outlet check.
- What to do if the chainsaw continues to start?
Identification and elimination of obvious faults of the chainsaw.
To determine the reason why it does not start or stalls when starting the chainsaw, it is necessary to troubleshoot the tool. The essence of the procedure is to consistently inspect the condition and operation of the main working elements of the saw motor. At this stage, we check:
- Spark plug present;
- Fuel supply;
- Filter status;
- The operation of the breather of the stalling unit built into the fuel cap;
- Discharge duct function.
To the content
Determine the availability of fuel and its supply.
First you need to make sure that there is a fuel mixture in the tank of a chainsaw that does not want to start, and it regularly enters the carburetor. With a full tank, we check how the mixture is fed through the gas line. Disconnecting the fuel system pipe from the carburetor and trying to pump up. In the case of a complete order, when pumping, gasoline will be supplied in a jerk in accordance with the norms set by the manufacturer. Poor or no fuel supply can result from:
- The fuel supply channel is clogged;
- Debris-killed fuel filter.
Often a prerequisite for a poor start of a chainsaw may be too full a tank. In this case, pay attention to the presence of smudges under the saw case cover. If present, see the connection of the gasoline feed pipe to the carburetor. Most often, it is squeezed out by pressure when the tank cap is screwed on, refueling under the very neck, which prevents the engine from starting.
The quality of the fuel mixture can also be one of the reasons why the chainsaw does not start. If, after completing the work, DO NOT drain the remaining gasoline, and leave the tool for long-term storage (more than 2 weeks), then the processes of resin formation and polymerization of the components will begin to occur inside the tank. What can be a prerequisite for the appearance of carbon deposits on the piston, rings and cylinder liner. Therefore, always prepare the mixture only in the required amount before work.