Gas mowers and trimmers are very convenient, compact and maneuverable, suitable for work in any country house. They cope with grass in areas with different terrain and different sizes. Especially advantageous is their use in narrow, inaccessible places for a lawn mower. In addition, they are cheaper and easier to maintain than a lawn mower.
- Gas trimmer: purpose of the tool in the country
- Types of trimmers on a gasoline engine
- lawn mowers
Gas trimmer: purpose of the tool in the country
The lawn trimmer is, in fact, a scythe for grass on gasoline. It is used for mowing decorative grass (leveling, cutting), for mowing weeds, for mowing grass on hay.
The trimmer does this quickly and accurately, in addition, it is lightweight and easy to maintain and does not require large storage space. the main thing that distinguishes the trimmer from a lawn mower.
With a trimmer you can not only cut grass and herbaceous plants, it perfectly cuts not thick (2.5-3 cm in diameter) branches of trees and shrubs. so it replaces the secateurs in the garden.
Types of trimmers on a gasoline engine
Consider the different types of gasoline trimmers and find out what kind of work is best suited for each of them.
Used for mowing weeds and grass in adjacent areas. This is a lightweight tool with a curved handle with a power of 1 horsepower or a little more. Such trimmers are suitable for small volumes of work or infrequent mowing, haircuts.
When purchasing a household tool, you need to know how to use a grass trimmer. it needs to rest every 20-25 minutes of work, otherwise it may fail. But at the same time, the household trimmer has a moderate gas mileage and excellent maneuverability.
Their power is higher. 2-3 liters. s., respectively, and gasoline for a professional trimmer is consumed more. Such a trimmer performs a much larger amount of work and has a knife in the configuration, that is, shears both grass, and thin branches, shrubs.
It is also equipped with a shoulder strap and anti-vibration system. But also at work it requires rest every 30 minutes and cleaning the cutting part of the grass.
They are similar to professional ones, but they can also trim the lawns, that is, their trimmed canvas will be homogeneous, even and beautiful.
Not only grasses, branches and shrubs mow, but even young trees can cut. They have a capacity of over 3 liters. with. They can work without interruption for several hours in large areas.
How to choose a gas trimmer for a summer residence, selection criteria
Before choosing a gas trimmer, you need to at least briefly know the main parameters of the tool. The key to choosing a gas trimmer will be how often you plan to use it and what area it is intended for.
Based on this, the best gas trimmer for your particular site is selected according to the power and performance of each individual model.
Type and engine power
The best gas trimmers do not have to have the greatest power. If you have a small lawn. the most powerful trimmer is not required for her. A good medium power gas trimmer is fine. But if the cultivated area is large and there is a need to work on it for 6-7 hours a day, then you need a more powerful trimmer.
By the type of suspension, trimmers are straps. the best option for infrequent use, and trimmers with a knapsack suspension. these are best taken with a constant, almost daily load on the tool.
By type of drive, gas trimmers come with a straight shaft or with a metal cable. It is better to take a tool driven by a direct shaft. they are more wear resistant. By type of engine, gas trimmers are divided into two and four-cycle ones.
The former are filled with oil already mixed with gasoline, the latter have separate compartments for oil and gasoline. Push-pulls are considered more noisy, and their lifespan is often shorter. And four-stroke ones are more durable, more expensive to maintain and repair, but at the same time they work a little quieter.
The engine can be located in the upper or lower position. The ones located at the top are preferable. they are more convenient in operation, better cooled, more protected from clogging with grass and debris, and they, as a rule, have more power.
Knife and fishing line for trimmer
The line in the trimmer is used only for mowing grass. According to the type of pattern, several types of fishing line are distinguished:
- in the shape of an asterisk. for green decorative lawn or young grass;
- in the shape of a square. for tall grass with thick stems;
- in the shape of a circle. universal view suitable for both lawn and woody and dry grass stems, leaves.
For cutting branches, cutting shrubs will need a knife. There are models equipped only with fishing line, and there are models with fishing line and with knives.
Weight and type of petrol trimmer handle
By the type of rod (handle), the trimmers come with a curved handle for small loads or with a straight one. for larger loads. The weight of the trimmer, as a rule, does not affect the operation of the instrument in any way, it matters to the person who works with it. if it’s a man, then you can take a heavier model, if a woman, then it’s easier.
When choosing an instrument by weight, you need to take into account the size of the trimmer’s gas tank. the larger it is, the heavier the trimmed trimmer will be (on average 0.6-1.5 kg).
Before choosing a trimmer for a lawn, study all the possibilities of each model. some of them are endowed with additional useful functions. It can be a snow nozzle, anti-vibration system. for the convenience of hands, quick start of the trimmer with a decompression device, which increases the tool life.
Advantages and disadvantages of a gas trimmer in the garden
Advantages include mobility, versatility, and tool performance. Disadvantages. not always a reasonable price, especially for multifunction mowers, and the noise of a working trimmer, even for models with reduced noise.
But, on the other hand, the tool has good power, performance, and besides, a gas trimmer can work in any weather (after rain, for example).
That’s all, how to choose a trimmer for a summer house or home. We want to decide and choose the trimmer that is suitable for your site, lawn or garden!
- Diagnostic Features
- Main reasons
- Troubleshooting Methods
- Recommendations for use
Given the specifics of using gas trimmers, their owners quite often have to deal with certain problems. One of the common troubles is that the lawn mowing does not start or is not gaining momentum. For the most prompt and effective elimination of such a problem, one should have an idea of the main causes of possible malfunctions.
Trimmers can be attributed from a technical point of view to complex devices. Based on this, Before using them, it is strongly recommended that you carefully read the relevant instructions.. However, in practice, many ignore it, often then find themselves in situations where the gas trimmer does not start or is poorly gaining momentum during operation. It is worth noting that similar problems can be encountered when acquiring new models of equipment.
The key to effective and efficient repair will, of course, be competent diagnosis of the device. In the process of troubleshooting, you will have to inspect and test, first of all, the key elements. The list of such includes candles, tank, filter units and valves of the fuel system. As practice shows, very often malfunctions of these particular elements become the reason that the lawn mowing does not start. Special attention should be paid to the quality and correct preparation of the fuel mixture, especially when it comes to two-stroke engines. In relation to this parameter, the manufacturer’s recommendations should be strictly followed in order to avoid serious breakdowns and costly repair work. In the case, for example, with a piston ICE group, costs can amount to up to 70 percent of the cost of new equipment.
Video: Trimmer Petrol Smoke What To Do
Often owners of trimmers have to deal with situations where the specified mixture is high-quality, the carburetor is serviceable and tuned, and the device still does not show signs of life when trying to start the engine. In such cases, you should check the condition of the candle. The following steps will fix the problem:
- turn out the candle;
- wipe and dry the part (calcination is undesirable);
- remove fuel and dry the candle channel for 30–40 minutes; such actions will avoid filling the candle with the next attempt to start;
- completely eliminate traces of soot using a file or sandpaper;
- set the appropriate clearance;
- put the candle in place.
If the candle turned out to be working and the seat nest is completely dry, and the engine of the scythe does not start, then wet the threads with gasoline. It is worth remembering that regardless of the quality of the spark issued, initially in a completely dry chamber there will simply be nothing to ignite. Faced with the fact that the spark does not come, it is worth paying attention to checking the contact between the high voltage wiring and the candles. If this connection turns out to be of high quality, then it will be necessary to check the operability of the ignition system control unit. In such cases, it is unlikely that you can do without the services of a qualified specialist.
The next step in diagnosing a gasoline braid will be to check the condition of the filters. Often the lawn mower does not start well or does not start at all in the cold because the air filter is clogged. This malfunction can be detected by excluding it from the system. If after this the braid starts up, you will have to clean or change this element. Experienced users strongly recommend periodically blowing the air filter to maximize its life.
The described tool may also not start up due to problems with the supply of gas caused by the contamination of the fuel filter. To quickly and effectively eliminate such a breakdown, you just need to replace the filter element with a new one. It is important to remember that the suction nozzle must be equipped with a filter, which is provided for by all instructions. Failure to comply with these rules and recommendations may result in costly piston repairs. In the process of diagnosing and finding the source of problems with starting the mower, attention should be paid to the breather, which is responsible for stabilizing the equalization of pressure in the fuel tank. In addition, it is necessary to check the cleanliness of the exhaust channel and the silencer mesh. As a rule, similar problems are most often encountered when troubleshooting old models.
As practice shows, gas trimmers cease to start or function normally after winter, that is, long-term seasonal storage. Before subsequent attempts to start the tool, a thorough diagnosis should be made to determine the source of the problem. There are currently some of the most common causes of a malfunction.
- Initially, it is necessary to check the quality of the fuel. Savings in such cases can have extremely negative consequences. Experienced lawn mowers and experts advise you to prepare a mixture, the volume of which will correspond to the upcoming work, since its surpluses quickly lose their quality.
- Trimmers of such famous brands as, for example, Husgvarna, Makita, Stihl, are very sensitive to the fuel used. It is about fuel quality and octane rating. Providing suitable operating conditions and extending the service life of the equipment will allow refueling with high-quality gasoline.
- At the moment of starting the engine, the lawn mower may stall due to the fact that it fills the spark plug. Often in such situations, you have to deal with the need to adjust the carburetor. It is worth noting that similar problems arise when the braid ceases to start on a hot one.
- Sometimes the tool cannot be started, although the candle is wet, which in turn indicates the flow of the fuel mixture into the combustion chamber. This is usually one of the symptoms that there is no spark. The reasons may be the lack of normal contact between the candles and the high-voltage wire or the drying of the threaded connection in the candle channel.
- If there are no problems with the spark, while the candle itself remains dry, then most often this indicates that gasoline is not pumping. There may be several reasons for this. This, in particular, is about the state of the fuel filter and carburetor.
- The ICE of the braid does not start or immediately after starting stops working, which may be due to clogging of the air filter that impedes the normal supply of air necessary for enrichment of the mixture.
It is no secret that the best and most effective way of repair is to prevent possible malfunctions. As already noted, one of the key points is how correctly prepared the gasoline-oil mixture. Its components must be gasoline no lower than AI-92 and high-quality motor oil. The proportions, taking into account which the mixture is prepared, are indicated in the manufacturer’s manual, which is supplied with any gas trimmer. As a rule, oil is added to gasoline using an ordinary medical syringe. Similarly, it is easiest to maintain appropriate proportions.
Quite often, when problems arise with the start of lawn mowing, the owners of the tool try to make repairs with their own hands. With the necessary knowledge and skills, this approach will significantly reduce operating costs. First of all, it is worth checking the fuel system and, in particular, the filter element. If clogging is found, the easiest way to replace the filter is with a new one. If the air filter became source of problems, then you can get out of a difficult situation even in the process of work with insignificant time costs. You will need to perform the following steps:
- remove the filter element;
- directly under operating conditions, you can rinse the filter with used gasoline;
- when using a scythe at home or in a summer cottage, water and simple detergents are used for cleaning;
- after washing, the part is thoroughly rinsed and dried;
- a completely dry filter should be lubricated with engine oil;
- excess lubricant is removed by compressing the filter element with your hands;
- put the cleaned part in place and fix the plastic cover with screws.
If the described actions did not provide a positive result, then the next step is to adjust the idle speed using the appropriate carburetor screw. This topic is devoted to many publications and videos posted on the World Wide Web. When trying to solve the problems in question, you can take several steps.
- The trimmer is placed on its side so that the “air” is on top. This will allow the fuel mixture to enter the bottom of the carburetor. Often, attempts to start the engine are successful if you first dismantle the part and literally send a couple of drops of gasoline directly to the carburetor itself.
- If, after all the described actions, the braid could not be brought into working condition, then attention should be paid to the condition of the candle and, in particular, to the presence of a spark. In parallel, all fuel is completely removed from the combustion chamber.
- Often the owners of a lawn mow are in situations where the fuel and air filters are clean, the candles are working, the fuel mixture is fresh and high-quality, but the ICE does not show signs of life. In such cases, experienced professionals recommend using the universal and proven long-term practice launch method. It is necessary to put the choke in the closed position and pull the starter handle once. After the shutter opens and the engine is started 2-3 times. In the vast majority of cases, the result is positive.
The spark plug in the process of starting the internal combustion engine trimmer can fill with fuel. Even with a high-quality mixture and a good spark, it is unlikely to get a device. The most effective way out is to remove the candle and dry it. At the same time, this spare part can be checked for operability; if a malfunction is detected, replace it. This procedure includes a number of simple steps, namely:
- switch off the device and wait for the power unit to cool completely;
- disconnect the wire;
- remove the candle itself;
- inspect the dismantled part;
- make sure there is a gap (0.6 mm);
- screw in a new, working candle and tighten it.
In practice, many repairs related to the fact that the scythe has ceased to start and which sooner or later have to be encountered in the process of operating a household lawn mowers can be handled independently. But in case of serious malfunctions, it is most rational to contact a specialized service. However, the key factor in such cases will be the ratio of the cost of repair and the price of a new trimmer.
Recommendations for use
The stability of any lawn mowers and the absence of problems with starting the power unit of such devices directly depend on the conditions in which the tool is used and the quality of maintenance. And we are talking about the following basic rules:
- in the process of work it is necessary to pay special attention to the cooling system and other elements; It is strongly recommended that you clean the channels located on the body of the braid and starter ribs in a timely and high-quality manner;
- in the processing of various elements, you can use solvents, gasoline, kerosene and other effective means;
- these works should be carried out after the power unit has completely cooled down;
- it is necessary to fully comply with all the rules specified in the relevant instructions drawn up by the developers of the described tool, which will avoid overloads in a warm engine, which in turn is the most common cause of serious damage;
- all residual fuel in the internal combustion engine should be completely drained before long interruptions in the operation of the spit; it should be borne in mind that the gasoline-oil mixture quickly decays into so-called heavy fractions, which inevitably clog the carburetor;
- after removing the fuel, it is required to start the engine and let it run on the twentieth until the moment it dies out; similarly, the remnants of the mixture will be eliminated from the internal combustion engine in full.
Particular attention should be paid to preparing the instrument for long-term seasonal storage. This should be done in order to minimize the risks of problems starting the engine. Competent preparation includes the following manipulations:
- completely disassemble the trimmer;
- thoroughly rinse and clean all the elements that are accessible;
- inspect the details of the lawn mowers in order to identify defects (mechanical damages discovered in this case should be eliminated);
- pour engine oil into the gearbox;
- to carry out high-quality cleaning from clogging of the air filter element;
- having the corresponding knowledge and practical skills, it is possible to perform a partial disassembly of the power plant with subsequent purging and lubrication of the moving elements;
- wrap the collected gas spit with a pre-oiled rag.
In addition to everything already listed, it is necessary to lubricate the piston group. This algorithm provides for the following simple manipulations:
- remove the candle;
- use the starter to move the piston to top dead center (TDC);
- pour a small amount of engine oil into the cylinder;
- crank the crankshaft several times.
Regardless of the cost and brand of equipment, you should clearly follow all the requirements of the relevant instructions and adhere to the recommendations of developers and experienced professionals. Today, detailed information regarding the proper use of such technology can be easily found on many specialized sites and forums.
Next, watch a video on how to identify and eliminate the reason why the gas trimmer does not start.