The need for a hammer when performing various kinds of repair household work can not be explained. But even with an excellent tool of well-known industrial manufacturers it is difficult to perform work qualitatively and accurately if the replaceable drill is incorrectly selected for it. the cutting part of the perforator designed to make holes in solid solid media (concrete and reinforced concrete, brick, stone). There are several aspects of the drill design that you should definitely pay attention to when buying.
The tail of the drill
Shank. the wear-resistant part of the drill, made of high-strength hardened steel, inserted into the perforator cartridge. It is the shape of the shank that primarily distinguishes the drill from a similar twist drill. The professional eye of the master will determine without error whether the drill is suitable for one or another type of perforator, and for beginners in the construction industry, the accepted marking of SDS shanks (Special Direct System. “special control system” developed by Bosch) will help you figure it out:
- drill sds plus. the most common type of shank with a diameter of 10 mm, the length of the part inserted into the perforator cartridge is 40 mm. For installation has four open grooves, perceiving torque. Such drills, having a diameter of 4. 26 mm, are used on light construction professional and household rotary hammers.
- drill sds max. the second most common type of shank used for large diameter drills (more than 26 mm) used in heavy and powerful perforators, for example, in electric jackhammers. The diameter of such a shank is 18 mm, the length of the part inserted into the cartridge is 90 mm.
- sds top. a somewhat intermediate and less common type of shank with a diameter of 14 mm and a length of 70 mm, having two open and two closed grooves for installation in a perforator cartridge. It is usually used on drills with a diameter of 16. 26 mm.
- sds quick. created in 2008, a unique hexagonal type of shank with dowels instead of grooves and a holder in which you can insert drills and bits for a screwdriver. Only applicable for Bosch Uneo / Uneo Maxx rotary hammers.
The working part of the drill
The working part of the drill directly performing the drilling process is made of an alloy of metals, and labor productivity and the safety of using a hammer drill depends on its condition. The working part can have a different shape and is classified according to its purpose as follows:
- auger drill. A great option for making deep holes of various diameters. Its spiral design and high torque allows you to effectively remove dust and sludge during operation, thereby reducing the load on the tool and reducing the time for making one hole.
- small groove drill. for work with extremely little effort (for example, in Makita rotary hammers). Its purpose is the process of drilling a significant number of holes of shallow depth.
- large grooved drill, providing high speed drilling and productivity of the process itself. The created load on the hammer drill is higher than when using auger drills. Optimal for drilling single holes of great depth.
Video: What Drill Bits For Punch There Are Diameters
Drills with one or more spiral grooves, as well as specially designed grooves, ensure the stability of the drill, its balanced central location during drilling, vibration reduction, and, consequently, the load on the hammer drill and the productivity of the work performed.
Carbide part of the drill and its sharpening
Brazing, which is the cutting part of the drill and affecting the speed of work and the quality of the resulting holes, is made of hard alloy and may have a different number of working edges. The drill resource is entirely limited by the degree of wear of the solder. Manufacturers are constantly improving materials and methods for sharpening the drill head, trying to maximize productivity while minimizing the power costs of drilling. Drills according to the carbide sharpening configuration can be divided into two main groups:
- Classic sharpening. the carbide plate has crosswise even cutting flat front and rear faces. Soldering with such a sharpening can have one or two cutting edges that reduce runout during processing, improve hole quality, but also affect the price of the drill.
- Centering head. A more advanced version of the classic sharpening. The special geometry, which is different for different manufacturers, eliminates the drill drift inside the hole from the axis of the initial position and forms a smooth, “not broken” hole.
It should be noted that the cutting faces do not always have a linear shape, wavy geometry with a centering spike and extreme cutting protrusions is another way to reduce the load on the punch by removing layers of solid material. There are also self-sharpening crowns with the right grinding angle, which are necessary for aggressive drilling. for example, abrasive rocks. the drill wears out without blunting an extremely wear-resistant cutting face.
Size classification of drill bits for rotary hammers
Here are the key points regarding drill bit sizes. For household repairs, it is recommended to use a comprehensive solution by purchasing a set of drills for perforators. The standard diameters are 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 and sometimes 16 mm.
. and some tips for using the rotary hammer
The puncher is, of course, a very convenient thing, and the best tool for drilling holes in brick and concrete walls has not yet been invented. However, along with high technological characteristics, it has a rather high price. Therefore, having this building jewel, you should remember about its proper operation, which will extend the useful life for many years:
- Do not make excessive efforts. the pressure should be sufficient to just start the shock process.
- Do not neglect the lubricant for the shank of the drill. this will improve the perception of torque, and, therefore, both speed and drilling force. And in general, the grease will extend the life of the drill and the drill itself.
It is difficult to overestimate the value of the drill in the complex design of the puncher: the quality of the work performed by the master depends on its proper selection and use.
From interchangeable nozzles for a punch, in addition to the drill, there are also:
- chisel (spatula for a punch), with which you can break off a piece of uneven wall or repel tile. in a word, align existing bumps and errors for repair;
- crown wide diameter for drilling on concrete, masonry and natural stone.