How to choose a jackhammer: 6 tips Which jackhammer should you choose? Features of pneumatic and electrical models. What to look for when buying a bump stop? Read on MOYO.Ua!
How to choose a jackhammer: 6 tips
2Need a powerful and productive tool to smash walls, floors, and even asphalt? There is one called a jackhammer. Neither monolithic concrete, nor frozen impenetrable soils, nor brickwork, nor even the strongest stone can resist it. No obstacles on the way! With such a device, you can in a matter of moments remove the old tile from the wall, make a niche, remove the worn out road surface and much more.
The thing is useful, but not everyone knows how to choose it correctly and which jackhammer is better. The secrets of a successful purchase are revealed by professionals. And for a snack, a rating of 6 top bumpers of different types.
3 best electric jackhammers
- Makita HM1203C. Medium power bump stop. The chuck allows you to set the chisel in 12 positions, adjusting the angle of work. There are 5 modes of beat frequency, you can choose a suitable variation in the range of 950-1900 beats / minute. The model is equipped with protection against motor overload, the possibility of a soft start and a stabilization system to maintain the working pace during prolonged use.
- Bosch GSH 16-30. The tool of true professionals, daily production of up to 13 tons of filmed material. It has a vibration damping system that not only relieves stress from the hands, but also extends the life of the bumper. The body of the device is made of metal parts, durable, not afraid of falls. The tool will remain unharmed even if a wall falls on it.
- Sparky K 615CE HD. This bump stop is equipped with electronics to record the force of the impact under any load. The comfort of work is provided by an anti-vibration system, smooth start, the ability to independently adjust the force of impact. To protect against overloads, there is an LED on the case, which signals overheating and possible malfunctions.
Noteworthy fenders with power supply are also produced by the companies Dnipro-M, Kawasaki, Stanley, Hilti, Zenit.
The device allows you to change the nozzle for specific work. As a rule, attachments are included, but you can purchase them separately. Most popular tips:
- Pick-crowbar. It is with this sharpened detail that the bump stop is most familiar to see. Such a nozzle is used for dismantling concrete, brick, stone, destruction of asphalt. It can also be used in non-standard situations, for example, to loosen the soil for its subsequent processing.
- Scapula. Suitable for removing tiles from walls or floors, removing old plaster from the surface. The nozzle really looks like a small shovel, at the end it has a significant extension with a straight cut. The edge is sharpened and very sharp.
- Chisel. This building element is needed to cut the reinforcement, destroy the frozen ground, make a hole or a niche in the wall. It is also used when working with metal structures during their dismantling.
The ramming attachment is also suitable for the hammer. Its mission is clear from the name to compact the soil (it is possible with stones), to close up faults in hard-to-reach places, and more.
What is it and what is it for?
A jackhammer is a specialized tool required for deformation and demolition of surfaces made of hard materials such as concrete, reinforced concrete, asphalt, stone and others.
The percussion instrument has been in human use since ancient times. Initially, the chipper was used in the mining of ore minerals. In the modern world, the range of operation of the device has significantly expanded: the tool is used in repair, construction and reconstruction work, as well as in work related to the construction of new roads.
The main criteria for choosing a tool
- Dimensions Compactness is appreciated.
- Weight. It should be relatively small, since it is important to conveniently use the tool in any position, otherwise what kind of efficiency can we talk about.
- Length of the power cord (for power tools).
- The location and size of the Start key. It should be at hand, and the dimensions are maximally adapted for a comfortable press.
- Engine power. One of the fundamental parameters when choosing a jackhammer. It fluctuates within 500-2000 W. The more power, the higher the level of performance of the device, the more powerful the impact, the number of impact movements per minute.
- Maximum strength of a single blow. Measured in Joules. The functionality of a particular model of the instrument depends on the force of impact. In total, this figure can be at around 3-60 J or more.
- The number of beats per minute. Depends on the previous specification.
- Suitcase. It contains the hammer itself and additional tackles that come with the set.
- The presence of an additional handle. Can be straight or D-shaped.
- Nozzles. The more attachments, the wider the range of work performed.
- Possibility of setting the beat frequency. You can adjust this indicator in several ways (depending on the specific model): according to the degree of pressing the key, with a special regulator if the Start button can be fixed.
- Support standby mode; ability to disable idle shock function in automatic mode.
- Protective system. It is activated when the unit starts up. Limits inrush currents, which completely eliminates the possibility of a jump in energy consumption.
- Anti-vibration system. Designed to combat noise and vibration, aimed at reducing them. The latter is achieved thanks to the built-in dynamic counterweight. Also, in order to reduce vibration, the tool can be equipped with special handles with a spring suspension and damping inserts, rubberized pads and foam gaskets.
- The presence of built-in control devices (displays, indicators). Allows you to timely identify brush wear, cord and plug condition or need for service.
- Reducer housing. It can be made of plastic or metal. If metal was used in the manufacture of the hammer, the distinctive characteristic of the hammer will be a large weight, which is disadvantageous for the user. You should not be afraid of the plastic case; it is lightweight, durable and durable.
- Possibility of adjusting the corresponding rig mode. In most cases, 12 positions are used, which can be fixed every 30 degrees.
How the impact hammer works
The jackhammer is equipped with a striker inside, the main task of which is to hit the functioning part (from 1000 in 60 seconds). The motor drives the rotor, which causes the firing pin to move. The operation of the locomotive apparatus itself is possible from the mains (electric jackhammer) or by using gasoline fuel.
Demolition hammer design
However, from a structural point of view, the jackhammer is a fairly simple device. This is a hand-held mechanical impact tool, the executive body of which is usually a metal chisel or lance. The tool works in the following way: a series of mechanical impulses acts on the executive body of the tool with the help of a striker driven by a special drive. The destruction of the material occurs due to the high frequency of movement of the working tool of the hammer (about 1500 blows / min.). When the chisel receives an impact from the striker, the chisel cutting edge cuts or splits the workpiece.
Purpose of jackhammers
Any serious construction is not complete without the use of appropriate tools. The jackhammer is one such tool. Jackhammers are simply irreplaceable when constructing niches and openings in durable building materials (for example, brick or concrete walls), they will also help to remove old asphalt pavement faster and better, destroy the foundation, stone boulders, frozen soil and much more. This tool can be used even when cutting metal. In a pit, at a construction site, in an apartment where redevelopment is taking place, in a word, where you need to break and remove something, you simply cannot do without a jackhammer.
Jackhammer. We deal a crushing blow!
Any serious construction is not complete without the use of appropriate equipment, which includes jackhammers. They are considered an indispensable tool when it is necessary to remove various coatings, as well as the destruction of building structures. By the type of drive, the jackhammers can be gasoline, hydraulic, pneumatic or electric.
The pneumatic breaker is one of the most optimal types of demolition tool. Its main advantage is the complete absence of sparks. Thanks to this advantage, the hammers can be used even in conditions of an increased risk of explosions or fires.
Purpose of pneumatically driven jackhammers
- Construction works of various types, which involve the destruction of brick or concrete structures, walls and structures, carrying out other dismantling works of varying degrees of complexity;
- Road surface formation crushing of solid soil, destruction of asphalt;
- Mining industry.
The advantages of pneumatics include: high reliability, durability in operation, simplicity and significant low cost of the design.
These criteria make pneumatic tools attractive to this day, especially when compared to their electric counterparts.
The only drawback of a pneumatic tool is a strict attachment to a compressor that pumps air under pressure.
The device and principle of operation of the pneumatic hammer
By its design features, such a tool belongs to the category of piston pneumatic systems equipped with an air distributor with an impact principle of action. The pneumatic hammer is put into operation due to the impact on it of the compressed air flow supplied by the compressor.
The main structural elements of the tool are:
- Shock absorber.
- Fixing ring
- Body part
- Impact part or striker air distribution impact mechanism
- Buffer spring
In general, pneumatic hammers consist of several main components:
- Handle body includes trigger, muffler and housing. The muffler is used to suppress the aerodynamic noise that occurs when the air exhausted by the hammer is ejected;
- Vibration protection of the handle involves equipping the tool with a glass with two sealing sleeves;
- Anti-vibration chisel protection includes a spring-loaded bushing and a manipulator;
- Impact assembly (launcher) consists of a barrel, an air distribution system and a striker.
The striking system performs a number of basic functions:
- Provides air supply to the tool with its further distribution between the blocks of striker strokes and removal after use from the general equipment system;
- Converts the energy of the air used into the mechanical work of the main working element of the shock unit.
The nozzle is selected depending on the type of task:
- Chisel destruction of reinforced concrete and metal structures;
- Sharp peak (pencil) processing of frozen soil, brick or asphalt;
- Scrap (cylinder) brick walls, ice, concrete;
- The shovel is suitable for ice removal or for working with asphalt.
The pneumatic breaker can also be equipped with:
- Side handle, which allows to correctly distribute the applied physical efforts, thereby ensuring comfortable operation of the equipment;
- Soft start makes it possible to smoothly accelerate the motor, increasing its service life, and eliminates unnecessary overloads of the device;
- The impact rate control helps you to tune the hammer to work with materials with different hardness levels by controlling the intensity of the tool.
The principle of the hammer is as follows: the pressure (compressed air) supplied through the hose acts on the handle, drives the tool and overcomes the resistance of the valve spring. This moves the valve and opens the holes in the air distribution system. Air begins to flow alternately into the blocks of the striker of various types (either in the upper or in the lower part of the cylinder), as a result of which the shock system begins to perform rapid reciprocating movements.