What is an angle grinder for? How to choose an angle grinder
The angle grinder is a useful, handy and practically universal power tool. In this article, we will show you how to use an angle grinder and what to look for when choosing a device.
What will you use your angle grinder for?
Using a variety of attachments and discs, the grinder can be used to cut, grind, polish and sharpen various materials.
Cutting. With various cutting discs, the angle grinder can be used to cut stone, metal or concrete. Diamond-coated discs. The most durable.
Grinding. With sanding attachments you can easily sand any surface easily. Best results are obtained using discs with different grain sizes. As a rule, they start with a larger grain to remove deep irregularities, then take the middle one, which does the main work and gives the desired look to the product and at the end the finest one for finishing work. For such work, you need an angle grinder with a speed controller.
Polishing. Using polishing discs and attachments, the sander can polish almost any surface. This type of work is actively used in car service
Sharpening. Many people use an angle grinder to sharpen old tools and lawn mower blades. However, this can be dangerous, so we recommend that you contact a specialist for such types of work.
Features to look out for when buying an angle grinder:
1. Rotation speed. The maximum allowed rotational speed for discs is indicated on the disc itself. There are high-speed and low-speed angle grinders. Low-speed ones are quieter and do NOT get as hot as their closer cousins. If this confuses you, then choose an angle grinder with speed control. For greater effect, different materials require different speeds. Generally use a low speed of about 2000 rpm. For polishing and high speeds 5000-7000 rpm. For cutting hard materials. Smooth start. This is an access function for most large devices and makes it easier to hold the car at the start. But you must wait until the angle grinder picks up maximum speed before starting to work.
2. Power. Bigger drives need more power.
3. Disk size. There are angle grinders with disc sizes 115 mm, 125 mm, 150 mm, 180 mm, 230 mm. Larger size needed for larger areas and deeper cuts.
4. Adjustable protective cover. Protects against sparks and dust, can be adjusted depending on the work being done.
5. Adjustable handle. Allows you to use the angle grinder from different angles. The more options the better.
6. Anti-vibration handle. For a more comfortable working experience with vibration damping and better device control.
Dust cleaning function
A useful addition for professional tools. Self-cleaning system from dust and dirt. This function helps to extend the service life of the tool itself and the cutting blade, improve the quality of work, and prevent inhalation of microparticles.
What materials can the angle grinder work with?
Using an angle grinder, you can shape slate, tile, porcelain stoneware or paving slabs to the required shape. With its help, grinding and cleaning of products from natural stone, wood, metal is carried out. Special replaceable discs allow you to handle concrete and bricks, cut abs-cement sheets or pipes.
Features of the Procraft grinder
Ergonomics, compact dimensions, low weight.
All Presented angle grinders are equipped, except for the main handle at the base of the tool, with an additional handle. The surface of the removable handle is a rubber anti-vibration pad that precisely follows the shape of the hand for increased grip. It can be fixed in three different positions: at the top or on both sides of the case, which allows you to choose the most comfortable position of the device.
Special attachments, discs and wheels for an angle grinder
The PW2550 has a maximum disc diameter. 230 mm. It is used in professional construction to work with fittings at large facilities.
Start button latch
In conditions of a large construction site, the duration of continuous operation of the device reaches several hours, and it is simply impossible to constantly hold the start button. All tools in the range are equipped with a special switch lock. The convenient location of the latch allows you to quickly switch and free your hand from the load.
Factors for choosing a device
When choosing an angle grinder, you should definitely focus on the following features:
- Application area.
- Handle size.
- Components of the power tool must be rubber.
- Massive working circle.
note, that angle grinders have different sizes of a circle and a body, and a large diameter is considered to be 2.5 cm. Such a circle will cut material from bricks, pipes, slabs and everything else. The most acceptable circle size for home use will be 1.3 cm.When repair work is carried out, the optimal value will be 1.8 cm, and the power can be in the range from 0.5 to 2.5 kW.
Use of angle grinder: application depending on material
Angle Grinder. An electric tool, without which it is difficult to imagine the work of a locksmith or repairman. An angle grinder is used to cut material and grind finished parts. The angle grinder belongs to the tools of increased danger, before starting work, you must familiarize yourself with the safety precautions and rules of use. But in addition to theoretical knowledge, it is important to know how to use an angle grinder correctly, depending on the material with which you have to work.
Do not start working with an angle grinder if the operator is feeling unwell, tired, or did not sleep well. The main task. Ensure safe use of the angle grinder, this will require personal protection and a tool guard. Overalls during cutting. An obligatory part of the work. Eyes and face protection with a mask, headphones or earplugs will save you from increased noise. Do not forget about clothes with long sleeves and gloves made of thick leather, which protect from sparks and flying off pieces of material. Angle grinder cover. This is a special protective part of the tool, located directly between the operator’s hands and the material being processed. Experts do not recommend neglecting the casing and dismantling it from the tool, it protects against sparks in the direction of the operator, and also protects against injury in the event of a breakage of the abrasive disc. There are also requirements for the choice of disk. DO NOT exceed the disc radius indicated on the data sheet of the angle grinder. Selecting a disc of such a size that the thickness of the workpiece does not exceed half the radius of the disc.
The main rule of thumb when working with an angle grinder is to use specialized discs for each of the materials. Failure to do so will result in the destruction of the cutting blade, rapid tool failure, and operator injury. Consider the features of working with various materials.
- Angle cutting concrete grinder. For work you need a diamond disc. Feature of work on concrete. Systematic water cooling. Use a spray gun, spray the surface of the material, as well as the disc itself, to avoid overheating (first, make sure there is no power source near the disc).
Grind the parts with specially selected thick discs. The choice of the circle, as well as when cutting, depends on the material with which the work is carried out.
- Grinding angle grinder wood. Depending on the condition of the wood, use a roughing (removing varnish and paint), sanding-polishing (coarse sanding) and emery (fine sanding, finishing process) attachments.
- Grinding angle concrete grinder. For concrete directly Use dry sanding method. Floorings in the form of marble chips or mosaics are usually finished using the wet sanding method.
- Grinding metal angle grinder. Working with metal takes place in two stages: deburring with an abrasive wheel and polishing with a petal nozzle.
The range of discs for an angle grinder is wide, but their skillful use and combination will lead to quick and high-quality results.
The official name of the instrument
But the correct name of the tool would be angle grinder. Yes, to some extent it is difficult to understand, but the word angle grinder is remembered much better. Such a device is called an angle grinder only after it has many different attachments. Angle grinder The angle grinder is used in most cases when it is required to cut off some material and forget about the other positive properties. Most often, a cutting wheel is used for metal or stone, and the rest of the grinding attachments are used much less often. Why angular? Because the device where the nozzles are located is placed at an angle in the frame base.
Why is an angle grinder called an angle grinder, and how Bulgaria became associated with an angle grinder
There is a second explanation for this name.
During the construction of houses in the USSR, many people from Bulgaria worked, and most of them were with their own tools, which is why the name went. At the moment, equipment in the form of an angle grinder from both domestic and foreign manufacturers is called the same.
People tend to get very used to the names of things that surround them, and very rarely ask the question of the origin of this or that name. But still, for sure, most of the craftsmen would like to know why the angle grinder. Angle Grinder.
Angle grinder at work
It is for all these reasons that you first need to find out what exactly these devices are, what capabilities they have and for what types of work they can be used, and for which.
What is an angle grinder for??
This power tool can be used when working with stone, metal, concrete, during roofing work. It can be used to make seams on walls, polish the surface, remove old paint or plaster, clean rust, cut tiles, plastic, steel, wood, etc. The tool can also be used to cut out door and window openings in walls if you choose a wide disc diameter, professional model of the device itself and diamond-coated discs.
Highlights when choosing an angle grinder
When buying an angle grinder, you must pay attention to the main characteristics of the tool:
- Speed control
- Disc diameter
Important Pay attention to the number of handles. For simple models, one is enough, for professional ones, to make it more convenient to work, two handles are needed and it is desirable that they be rubberized.
Stone Cutting Angle Grinder
The speed of rotation in high-quality angle grinders is determined independently. But there are also models where you can choose the desired speed from the proposed modes. However, everyone will be able to determine what kind of disk rotation speed is needed when working with this or that material, so it is better to give preference to high-quality models.
The disc size can vary from 115 to 230 mm. 115 mm. Suitable for simple jobs, 230 mm. Can cut pipes, slabs, bricks. For domestic use, it is better to choose 125 mm. And in professionals, as a rule, in the arsenal there are several grinders at once for work of varying complexity.
Angle Grinder. The tool, although useful, is very traumatic. You can seriously injure yourself, others, or severely damage or spoil the material being processed. Therefore, manufacturers are trying to equip devices with a large number of additional functions that can reduce the risk of THESE injuries.
What nuances should you pay attention to?
- The presence of a soft start system will allow the disc to start working without sudden jerks, smoothly increasing the number and speed of revolutions. This will make it safer to get started. The rotation speed will gradually increase, which will NOT allow the device to slip out of your hands.
- The constant speed support system will make it possible, regardless of the applied effort, to maintain a stable speed.
- Equally important is the presence of an accidental start protection system in the angle grinder. This will allow you to avoid many troubles and injuries. It is especially important to have this function in household angle grinders, in families with children, so that when they get to them, they DO NOT do anything and DO NOT cover themselves and the second harm.
- Each additional function is reflected in the total cost of the instrument, therefore, you should select only those functions that you really need.
- Anti-jamming protection if the blade gets stuck while cutting material, will automatically shut off the tool and prevent engine combustion.
- It is desirable that the engine of the device is also equipped with protection against dust and various particles. After all, this tool is used for cutting or grinding, so there is a lot of dust and dirt during operation.
- Professional devices often have an anti-vibration system, which significantly reduces the load on the hands and the person does NOT get tired longer.
- Often the tool needs to be used where there are no outlets, far from civilization, or, for example, in a house under construction with no electricity supply. In this case, you can purchase a device with a battery.
- Do not use equipment without a cover.
- The discs used with the device must be strictly designed for grinders and not for other types of power tools.
- It is important that there are self-disconnecting brushes inside the angle grinder. They provide additional protection to the device, for example, when power outages occur. If a failure occurs, the machine will turn off automatically. And to resume its work, you will need to turn it off first, and then turn it on again.
The cost depends on the brand and type of angle grinder, its power and additional functions. As a rule, large manufacturers give a guarantee for their products for 1-2 years. The price of professional tools is about 2-3 times higher than the price of household tools. Therefore, it is not worth buying an expensive professional model if you plan to use it only at home, a couple of times a year, maximum.
As for the firms. Manufacturers, then among household grinders, devices from brands such as Stern, Skil and Black and decker. Among professional devices, the best is the products of such companies as: Makita, Bosch and Hitachi. And the angle grinder from the company Hilti are considered the highest quality and most powerful in the world. Of course, their price is high.
A correctly chosen tool will allow you to perform this or that work both in everyday life and at work. He will serve for many years, help out in certain situations, or will become a faithful assistant in the professional field.
Working time without interruption
The angle grinder is NOT intended for continuous operation, since during operation both the electric motor itself and the gearbox heats up, despite the seemingly high efficiency of the ventilation holes on the housing.
In case of excessive heating, the tool should be turned off and left to cool down.
It is recommended to use the grinder in the following mode: work for 15 minutes, and then rest until the case temperature equals the ambient temperature.
Test method and safety requirements for standard disc grinders, including angle versions, are described in GOST R IEC 60745-2-3-2011.
Also, the standards of GOST 16519-2006 (vibration), GOST 12.2.030-2000 (labor safety standards system), GOST 30805.14.1-2013, GOST 30805.14.2-2013, GOST 30804.3.2-2013, GOST 30804.3 apply to the angle grinder. 3-2013.
Round nuts with holes at the end for a special key, which clamp the cutting discs of an angle grinder, are manufactured in accordance with GOST 6393-73.
General safety rules
Handle the angle grinder correctly to reduce the possibility of injury when working with the angle grinder. It is necessary to comply with the following rules of use:
- Always use personal protective equipment. Operator’s health must be in good condition.
- Before work, it is necessary to check the correctness and reliability of the casing fastening so that it does not fall off in the process, and sparks do NOT fly off from the operator.
- Use only whole discs without defects (cracks, chips, fractures) and strictly as intended for processing a specific material.
- A protective shield must be located between the operator and the circle to provide protection if the latter is destroyed.
- Before starting work, you need to check the performance of the tool at idle for about 1 minute: uniformity of rotation at maximum speed, no vibration.
- Before implementation, inspect any tips to determine their suitability for use.
- It is necessary to protect objects that can ignite from sparks with an asbestos or ordinary damp cloth: oily rags, fuels and lubricants, paper, solvents, ropes.
- It is required to constantly securely fix the working attachments so that they DO NOT fall off.
- If it is possible to control the speed of rotation, set the speed recommended for cutting or grinding the working material.
- Cut the tree very carefully, as hitting a branch can cause the tool to jerk out of the hand.
- It is forbidden to install attachments from a circular saw due to the fact that they are designed for a different spindle rotation speed.
- Hold the tool with both hands.
- When starting to work, you need to remove all unnecessary and make sure that there are no objects on the cutting plane, except for the workpiece.
- Take regular breaks from work.
- If the working attachment is stuck, turn off the tool immediately.
- Maintain a stable (balanced) body position.
- The power cord must be kept away from the rotating part so that it does not cross-sections or cause a short circuit.
- Only after a complete stop of the circle is it allowed to release the tool from the hands.
- When moving around the workplace, turn off the angle grinder, and this must also be done when turning off the supply voltage.
- Only cut at full speed.
The outlined safety measures Developed by manufacturers of angle grinders, as well as by special organizations (services) involved in labor protection.
To ensure the safety of work, it is better to purchase NOT the cheapest, high-quality materials from reliable manufacturers.
A person working with an angle grinder must be adequate and in a balanced psychological state.
A tool that cannot be called a grinder.
These are professional cutters, they are gas cutters designed for long-term continuous work in difficult field conditions, they are distinguished by high power, they are capable of dusting very hard materials without any problems.
The main body of the angle grinder and the main handle are made of rather thick impact-resistant plastic.
Mainly magnesium alloy is used in the production of the gearbox housing.
The angle grinder is often equipped with rubber pads to prevent hand slipping.
Designed for continuous continuous operation, capable of operating without overheating for a really long time, but these are heavier models.
Their power can exceed 2.5 kW, and the diameter of the compatible drives. From 180 mm, sometimes up to 305 mm.
The tool often has a full range of additional functions that protect both the grinder itself from various damage and the operator.
Such options are sometimes produced with a water supply system to the working area, which expands their capabilities.
Cost from 4 thousand rubles.
By the number of handles, the angle grinder is divided into:
They differ in independence from the availability of source of electricity, which means they are excellent for working in the field.
Requires a charged battery and continuous operation requires two batteries, one of which will be charged while the other is being used on the instrument.
Manufacturers do NOT make such an angle grinder powerful to save charge, nevertheless, their cost is higher, on average 8.15 thousand rubles.
According to the scope of application, the angle grinder can be divided into: