Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMh)
This type is most often used in AA batteries. They began to be developed in the late 1970s. The main substances for the accumulation of charge and its return are nickel-lanthanum, which serves as an anode, and nickel oxide, which is a counterpart. Cathode. Ion transfer is provided by potassium hydroxide.
What characteristics are important when choosing a battery for a screwdriver
Considering the advantages and disadvantages of different types of batteries, you can choose the one suitable for specific operating conditions. Now let’s look at two key characteristics that all types of batteries have that affect the choice of a screwdriver.
One of the new generations of batteries, which first appeared in 1991. Japanese radio engineering companies began to actively use them, and subsequently they managed to increase their power and use them with power tools.
It is this type that is used in mobile phones, laptops and electric vehicles. The cathode and anode in them are made of aluminum and copper foil, between which a perforated separator is installed. A valve may be present to release internal pressure.
Estimated service life
The time that the battery will last on a screwdriver depends on the frequency of use and correct use. To some extent, the number of charge cycles is indicative of the battery life. Based on this, you might think that cast ion batteries have the shortest lifespan.
In fact, these batteries do not have a number of disadvantages inherent in other types, due to which, in most cases, these batteries serve a longer period.
|Number of charge and discharge cycles||1000||300-500||600|
|The ability to charge quickly||4-8 hours||4-8 hours||30 minutes. 2 hours|
|The cost||cheap||cheap||cost up to 50% of the tool itself|
|Response to tool operation at full power||good performance||good performance||low rates|
|The effect of storing the charge level||there is||there is||not|
|self-discharge||10% per month||7-10% per month||3-5% per month|
|Working in the cold||can work||can work||poorly tolerate low temperatures|
|Full discharge ratio||tolerate well||tolerate well||need to put on charge in advance|
What does the battery voltage say?
In cordless models, the power and rotation speed of the screwdriver depend on the battery voltage, which must correspond to the parameters of the tool:
- For screwdrivers, the maximum indicator is 36 V. These are the most powerful devices for working with metal and hard wood species.
- 12-18 V. Average value suitable for most repair and installation processes.
- 3-10 V. They are low-power, and are used only for assembling soft materials or small diameter fasteners.
Installing a battery with a higher capacity on a weaker model will quickly break the latter. A 12 V battery on a device designed for 18 V will, on the contrary, limit the power of the tool, so the voltage indicator of the drive must exactly match the value on the screwdriver.
Keep in mind that if you take two batteries with the same capacity, the longer operation of the tool will be provided by the one with the higher voltage.
Comparison of batteries used for screwdrivers
Briefly Having considered the types of batteries, let’s compare them with each other in ten parameters, which will help to figure out which batteries are best for screwdrivers. Immediately warn that there is an absolute leader in all categories, and you need to pay attention to the pluses that will be useful for a specific activity and scope of use.
What to look for when choosing a power screwdriver
To get a good cordless screwdriver for your home or work, it is recommended that you first learn about many different parameters. First of all, you should pay attention to the following characteristics:
- Power. This determines the weight and dimensions of the tool, as well as the amount of energy consumed. Therefore, it is not necessary to buy too powerful apparatus for simple work. It is enough if this indicator has about 500 watts.
- Torque. This indicator characterizes the force with which the bit presses on the screw. The higher the indicator, the more materials the screwdriver can drill. In household models, the torque should be about 15 Nm, in professional tools. 35 Nm.
- Rotational speed. If at home the tool will be used only as a screwdriver, then this indicator cannot be ignored. In any case, it will turn out to tighten the fasteners much faster than with an ordinary screwdriver. If you plan to work with a tool like a drill, then it is better to choose a model in which the revolutions will be higher. Then drilling will be faster and more accurate.
- Reverse. A function that allows you to both tighten and unscrew the screws. Important Pay attention to how it is implemented. The mode switch button should be comfortable and easy to press.
- Switching rotation speed. This indicator is important for those who plan to use the tool as a drill and screwdriver. Then a lever or a gearshift button must be conveniently located on the device case.
This hammerless screwdriver has excellent performance. However, only professionals can use it. The fact is that the rotation speed of the tool is 4000 rpm. Therefore, if the user does not have the skills to work with at least semi-professional screwdrivers, the broken screw will constantly break off the screw head. The rotation speed is regulated differently from the budget models. The harder the start button is pressed, the faster the chuck will rotate.
High engine power allows you to very quickly complete all tasks. Also, pay attention to the locking system against accidental starting and a reliable mechanism for attaching the bit in the chuck.
|Number of work speeds||1|
|Network cable length||2.5|
- The most optimal option in terms of price / quality ratio;
- Illumination of the working area;
- Convenient speed control.
- Short network cable;
- Too heavy for continuous work;
- Sold without case.
Caliber DE-550 ShM
This model impresses with its high power at a very low cost. The 550 Watt motor and 2800 rpm rotational speed make the Caliber a semi-professional tool. It perfectly copes with the functions of not only a screwdriver, but also an impact drill. The keyless chuck allows quick replacement of drills up to 13 mm in diameter. Also, pay attention to the reverse rotation mode and electronic speed control. Safety in work is answered by a locking system that prevents accidental start of the tool. However, there are also disadvantages to the model. Main. Only one speed limit.
|Number of work speeds||1|
|Network cable length||–|
- High power and rotation speed;
- Convenience and ergonomics.
- Inconvenient and short network cable;
- There is only one speed mode.
The best cordless drills for home or work
The screwdriver is one of the most indispensable tools, which should be in almost every home. After all, this tool simplifies the work associated with minor repairs, furniture assembly and many others. For such cases, battery models are well suited. For those who professionally carry out construction and repair work and assembly of furniture An ideal option would be to purchase a drill-screwdriver powered by the mains.
They have better performance than analogs powered by batteries. However, in order to make the right choice, it is recommended to study the best cordless drills and screwdrivers. Especially for this, a rating of top models has been compiled.
Summary table of the best corded screwdrivers
|model||Power, W||Number of work speeds||Network cable length||Weight, kg|
|Sturm Soft Touch ID 2145P||450||2||4||–|
|Caliber DE-550 ShM||500||1||–||1.3|
|Interskol DSh-10 / 320E2||320||2||2||1.4|
|Interskol DSh-10 / 260E||320||1||2||1.3|
|Bosch GSR 6-25 TE 2011 Case||701||1||–||1.5|
Interskol DSh-10 / 320E2
Due to its good characteristics, this model can be classified as semi-professional. As a screwdriver, she copes with almost all tasks. There are also complaints about the quality and speed of drilling. The tool shows itself exactly as good as battery counterparts. The device weighs 2 kg, however, thanks to the excellent balancing, this is practically NOT felt. In addition, the rubberized handle allows you to work comfortably even for a very long time. The case is very high quality. No gaps or crevices are visible. Users note the presence of quick-detachable brushes, which can be easily changed by yourself. When tightening self-tapping screws, it is necessary to correctly select the speed mode, since there is a risk of ripping the head into the screws.
|Number of work speeds||2|
|Network cable length||2|
- Build quality;
- High power;
- Convenient brush replacement.
- Sold without a case;
- The chuck does not have a brake system.
When choosing a drilling power tool, you should first pay attention to such points as:
- Power. This value indicates the power consumption of the motor and indirectly the dimensions and weight of the tool itself. Depending on which class the model belongs to, an electric motor with a power of 100-900 W can be installed on it. The best option for daily work is enough for the average power of the networker about 500 W.
- Torque. Measured in newton / meter (N / m). This value determines how much force will be applied to the screw or drill to rotate them. Thanks to this value, you can determine which materials can be worked with a specific drill or screwdriver. For household tools, 10-15 N / m will be enough, and for professional screwdrivers, torque is usually given with values of 30-35 N / m.In impulse networkers, this figure can reach 100 N / m.
- Rotational speed. For a household screwdriver, this factor is not an important indicator. But for drilling Desirable high speeds, and the higher they are, the more accurate and smoother the hole will be.
- Reverse. Without this function, there can only be an ordinary drill, it is mandatory for a screwdriver. Here is the location of the switch on the body of the instrument and the convenience of working with it depends. Usually the switch is next to the start key.
- Speed shifter. This function is important if the screwdriver will be periodically used for drilling in the form of a drill. The switch is located on the body of the power tool. The drilling speed should be in the range of 1500-2000 rpm. / Min., A for tightening / unscrewing fasteners. Up to 500 rpm / Min. This feature is especially useful if you often have to drill holes in metal. The higher the RPM, the faster and more accurately the holes will be drilled.
- Speed regulator. This feature was originally only in drills, but over time it began to be installed on screwdrivers. It is very convenient when working with different materials, but it may not be useful in everyday life. For tightening several screws, the easiest way is to adjust the speed with the tool trigger. The harder you press on it, the higher the rotation speed of the chuck with a drill or bat will be.
- Locking the start button. This clamp is necessary for a professional tape tool, which is loaded with screws or self-tapping screws. A clutch is installed in the tape mechanism, which, having hooked the self-tapping screw, immediately begins to spin the cartridge with the bat. In order not to turn on the start button every time, it is fixed in the “start” position. In a domestic environment, a lock may be needed only if the power of the screwdriver allows you to drill holes in hard materials.
Drill screwdrivers can differ in the mechanisms for holding the attachments (bits), of which there are three types:
- Toothed chuck (key). A fairly reliable holding mechanism in which the bit is clamped using a special toothed wrench.
- Keyless chuck. Very handy for quickly changing attachments or drills. The cartridge can be single-sleeve. One rotating clamping ring, or two-sleeve. With two clamping rings.
- Cartridge exclusively for bits. This holding mechanism, in comparison with the described cartridges, which can be used in conventional drills, is only intended for screwdrivers.
Chucks, except for clamping devices, also differ in the diameter of the nozzles inserted into them. For household tools, cartridges are usually used, the diameter of the nozzles of which does NOT exceed 20 mm.
Device and characteristics of network screwdrivers
These tools are equipped with a 220 V DC electric motor. They have a reverse push button that changes the polarity of the motor so that it can rotate in the opposite direction. That is, due to the change in the direction of the motor torque, the tool can screw in the screws or, conversely, unscrew.
When installing a two-speed gearbox, the networker acquires some additional functions. For example, a network two-speed screwdriver, the speed of which is 450 rpm. / Min., It copes well with the work of twisting / unscrewing screws and screws. And at a speed within 1400 rpm. / Min. Quickly drills holes in metal and other materials.
Cordless screwdriver drill: which one is better for home
The power tool market offers a large selection of different models of screwdrivers from many well-known companies, as well as little-known manufacturers. Almost all tools are identical in design, and the difference in their performance can be determined only during their operation.
To choose the best quality screwdriver from the mass of tools offered on the market, you need to familiarize yourself with their technical characteristics. In mains-powered screwdrivers, in comparison with battery-powered counterparts, under some circumstances, performance is higher, since time is NOT lost on recharging.
Criteria for choosing a drill-driver
The main function of the screwdriver is to drill holes in various materials. But it also has an additional function that allows you to tighten / unscrew screws, screws and other threaded connections. That is, this tool is practically universal with a wide range of specific capabilities.
If you analyze these devices by their performance, then you can identify the leading manufacturers of drills and screwdrivers for both professional use and domestic needs.
Among reliable drilling tools, such domestic models of domestic production as Interskol, Enkor DE-450ER / 10, Zubr, as well as Gardenlux CD14-22 and FIT-80014 stand out. They all differ from ordinary models by the presence of two speeds:
- For tightening fasteners (screws, etc.) The speed is up to 400 rpm. / Min.
- For drilling, a range of 400-1300 rpm is used. / Min.
The difference is possible in the design of the electric motor, which may be with graphite brushes or not at all. Advantage of the motor without graphite brushes. This is work without unnecessary noise and special maintenance for their replacement.
- Chuck brake. To increase the safety of a person working with a screwdriver, the tool is equipped with a brake, which, when the trigger is released, instantly stops the rotation of the chuck.
- Backlight. Some models, for the convenience of working in a dimly lit room, are equipped with bulbs that illuminate the work area.
- Design and ergonomics. Modern models of screwdrivers are made in such a way that during operation it is convenient to hold them in the hand, and all controls are within the reach of the hand that holds it. For example, the index finger is always on the start button, and the thumb can easily switch reverse or speed.
On some models, there are special sockets for spare bits right on the tool body, which is quite convenient especially when working on the roof. Many professional tools have special mounts that allow you to attach them to mounting belts.