The chainsaw stalls at idle: many owners of this tool face this problem. According to its device saw a relatively simple machine. But there are times when it fails. The main problem in troubleshooting is to determine the exact cause of abnormal operation.. After establishing the purpose to eliminate the defect is usually quite simple.
Probable causes of failure.
The power unit of all chainsaws is a single-cylinder internal combustion engine. Such faults characterize devices of this type as a violation within the cylinder compression, a change in the ratio of the fuel mixture, incorrect ignition operation, and poor-quality fuel and lubricants.
The main problems in the operation of the power unit are the following:
- the engine runs stably at minimum speed, but stalls with increasing speed;
- start-up is normal, and idle speed is unstable, quickly stalls;
- does not start.
Various reasons can cause an irregular idle operation.
They can be divided into several positions:
- reduced bandwidth filters (gasoline and air);
- Ignition system abnormal operation:
- the carburetor settings spontaneously changed;
- malfunction of the elements of the gas pipeline;
- clogged exhaust channels, muffler;
- defects of the piston, cylinder, valves.
Repair must begin with an external inspection and checking the presence of fuel in the tank.
Check and repair filters.
The engine can operate intermittently or stall with insufficient fuel or air. Causes. clogged air or fuel filter. To check the fuel filter, it is necessary to remove the gas supply hose from the carburetor fitting and route it to any container. Then press the fuel reel a few times. If the fuel is pumped normally, in clear doses, without dirt, then the fuel filter is in good condition. If the jet is weak or the fuel is not pumped at all, the filter should be replaced or, if possible, cleaned.
Clogging of the fuel filter with sawdust is one of the reasons for chainsaw breakage.
The device must be removed from the fuel tank (all fuel must be drained from it). In most models, the fuel filter can be pulled out of the wire through the filler hook. If the filter design is collapsible and allows for cleaning, it is necessary to disassemble and rinse following the manufacturer’s recommendations. In another case, change to a new filter.
Similar problems may occur when the air filter is clogged with dust, sawdust, dirt. With an insufficient amount of air, the fuel mixture will be enriched, the process of fuel combustion becomes difficult.
To test, remove the filter. When working, you need to take precautions to prevent dust from entering the carburetor. The device must be cleaned and rinsed in warm water with the addition of detergent. After drying, if possible, low blow pressure with compressed air put into place. If the chainsaw usually works, the reason is eliminated; if not, you need to look further.
With continuous operation of the instrument, it is recommended to replace the fuel and air system filters after three months.
Testing the spark plug and ignition system.
According to manufacturers recommendations, the spark plug should be changed annually, regardless of the intensity of operation of the tool. Failure to comply with these tips leads to a completely natural result: failure at idle, subsequent failure.
Typical defects in the ignition system are as follows:
- Candle flooded with fuel at the time of launch. It is necessary to remove it from the nest, dry it, and if possible blow it with compressed air. From the cylinder to drain through the installation hole leftover fuel, blow with compressed air. Then install a candle, connect the high-voltage wire, run.
- The absence of a spark on the electrodes of the candle. It is necessary to disconnect the high-voltage wire and check for a spark on it. If the spark is normal, check the connection, eliminate the detected defects. The absence of a spark on the high-voltage wire indicates a malfunction of the ignition unit. This device can not be repaired, and it is necessary to change it to a new one.
- The gap between the electrodes of the candle is broken. This parameter for various types of devices can be in the range from 0.2 to 0.5 mm. Check, and adjustment should be performed using a special probe or a calliper. The required value can be found in the instruction manual of the tool.
- The appearance of the candle can determine the direction of the search. If the candle, after several attempts to start the engine, turns out to be dry, it means that petrol does not flow into the cylinder. It is necessary to check the fuel supply system and the carburetor.
- The presence of black or soot on the electrodes indicates black carburetor adjustment or air filter clogging. Perhaps used low-quality fuel with a high content of the oil. During normal operation of the ignition system, the electrodes have a uniform gray colour and brown deposit on insulators.
Carburetor check and repair.
If checking the ignition system, fuel filters, muffler did not give tangible results, and the tool still does not want to work normally at minimum speed, you need to check the carburetor.
To adjust the modes of operation on the device, there are three screws to set the minimum rotation speed, maximum speed, and idling speed.
On many models, manufacturers install only the idle adjustment screw to avoid awkward attempts to adjust the device. In all variants of the device, the adjustment must be carried out precisely according to the recommendations of the manufacturers.
If the adjustment of the device did not lead to the restoration of the normal operation of the instrument, it is necessary to carry out a complete disassembly of the machine with the inspection. It should be understood that the carburetor is a rather complicated device; in the absence of experience, it is advisable to turn to specialists.
When disassembling, it is important to carefully inspect and flush all the nozzles, air and fuel channels, filtering mesh. Damaged items must be replaced with new ones. Jets need to be cleaned with the soft wire of appropriate diameter.
It is desirable to perform the work in appropriate conditions. The carburetor contains many small details: the loss of any of them will make the device inoperable.
Inspection and repair of the muffler.
Clogged silencers should be left soaked in warm water with detergent, then wiped thoroughly and dried.
Malfunction of the muffler leads to a drop in the power of the tool during operation and to stop in idle mode. Despite the seeming simplicity of this detail, it is also essential to keep an eye on it. Quite often, the silencer is clogged. During the work, it is possible that wood dust, sawdust, resin particles may get on the grid. The high temperature contributes to their adhesion and accumulation. The exhaust gases also form deposits on the surfaces of the spark arrester and other parts. The layer that increases over time reduces the capacity of the silencer and interferes with standard exhaust gas removal. The engine, figuratively speaking, is choking.
Repair of this node is not complicated, it is quite within the power of many owners of the tool. The device should be removed from the engine, close the holes with a cloth or other material. If the formed layer is too hard, all parts can be left soaked in warm water with detergent. After softening the coating, the parts should be washed with a cloth or a soft brush and wiped thoroughly. Unavailable places can be blown through with compressed air or blow-dried. The use of mechanical removal means it is undesirable.
For the normal functioning of the muffler for long service life, you should use the lubricants recommended by the manufacturer, keeping an eye on their shelf life. The mixture must be prepared immediately before work and consumed completely.
Conclusion on the topic.
Chainsaws, like most tools, require timely maintenance and care.
Failure to comply with this rule leads to instrument failure, material costs, loss of precious working time at the most inappropriate moments.