How to choose an angle grinder for a summer cottage How to choose an angle grinder for a summer cottage Angle grinder (angle grinder), otherwise called an angle grinder multifunctional tool, is used for cutting and grinding work with almost any
How to choose an angle grinder for a summer residence
Angle grinder (angle grinder), otherwise called multi-tool angle grinder, is used for cutting and grinding work with almost any material, of a wide variety of shapes and thicknesses. Easily handles PVC, metal, stone, slate, ceramics, roof tiles, finishing tiles, wood and others. Convenience, versatility, compactness made these tools practically indispensable in everyday life, in the repair and construction of a house, in the country.
The choice of discs for grinders
Choosing the right disk functionality is equally important. The following types are used in angle grinders:
- Cutting wheels for metal work;
- Cutting discs for wet and dry stone cutting;
- Circles for dry stone work;
- Combined diamond discs for cutting finishing tiles;
- Wire brushes made of metal, disc and bowl shapes;
- Lobe-type circles;
- Discs for wet stone work.
The main characteristics and types of grinders
The main characteristics of grinders are the maximum size of the grinding or cut-off wheel and power. The diameter of the working discs ranges from 115 mm (for household tools) to 230 mm (for professional grinders). According to this parameter, there is a conditional classification of these instruments:
- An angle grinder for a disc with a diameter of 115 mm is used for grinding and small precision cutting work;
- 125mm is the most common size. Best suited for housework or cottage work. Discs and brushes of any functionality in this size are most commonly found on the market;
- An angle grinder for a 150 mm wheel is a cross between professional and household tools;
- 180 mm semi-professional grade, used for cutting thick workpieces and profiles;
- 230 mm, angle grinders for this disc size are not suitable for small jobs. They are used for large-scale construction and repair work.
There is also a pneumatic angle grinder. They are capable of long-term operation without overheating and are mainly used in industry.
The speed and torque directly depend on the size of the disc. With an increase in the diameter of the circle, the rotation speed decreases, the power and torque of the grinders increase.
The power of the angle grinders on the market ranges from 500W to 3KW. The harder the material, the longer and more difficult the work, the more powerful the angle grinder should be chosen. As a rule, a tool with a power of 1000 to 1500 W is sufficient for giving and at home.
A distinction is also made between mains and cordless angle grinders. The latter are used in conditions where there is no electricity or it is difficult to connect to the network. For example, for field work or height work. Cordless tools have several serious drawbacks, their weight is much greater than that of network counterparts, and the continuous operation time is also short. If conditions permit, it is better to purchase an angle grinder with mains or combined power supply for a summer residence and at home.
An angle grinder (angle grinder), consisting of a motor and an abrasive wheel, appeared in the USSR in the 1970s. The tool was supplied by the Republic of Bulgaria, therefore, the people used the name angle grinder for it. The modern angle grinder is used wherever it is required to process hard materials: leveling concrete and stone, cutting metal and asbestos cement, sanding wood and plastic. What are the parameters for choosing the right tool for work at home and in the country?
What parameters are important when choosing an angle grinder
Additional features offered by the manufacturer will make working with an angle grinder convenient and safe:
- Smooth engine start. A very useful function, the disc spins up to operating speed gently, without an explosive jerk at the start.
- Automatic disk balancing. Reduces vibration of the instrument in the hands. Particularly helpful when using an unevenly worn disc.
- Number of handles. For household grinders, as a rule, there are two threaded holes and one handle that can be rearranged. This is very convenient if you need to change your hand while working in order to get into a narrow place.
- Rotation speed regulation. The electronic circuitry maintains a constant speed of rotation of the motor shaft, regardless of the load on the disc. The work goes faster, the motor and gearbox will last longer.
- The presence of a dust protection system. An important function for concrete work, the gearbox and shaft are protected from the ingress of cement particles, increasing the service life of the tool.
- Possibility of connecting a construction vacuum cleaner. Along with personal protective equipment, a respirator, goggles and gloves, it increases the comfort and safety of work. The workplace will remain clean.
- Locking the start button. For extended operating conditions such as grinding or polishing, the operator does not need to keep the button depressed in the operating position.
- Auto power off. If the light is turned off during operation, the machine cuts off the power to the tool so that it does not start itself when the power supply is restored.
The diameter of the discs of the machine will determine how much thickness of the material it can cut. The largest size of the circles will be determined by the power of the model. Most often the discs are 11 to 23 centimeters in diameter. It should be noted that the angle grinder with 11-13 centimeters transverse discs is most often equipped with one handle, and tools for professionals with large wheel diameters are equipped with two handles. The most popular today are the angle grinder with discs with a diameter of 12.5 centimeters.
How to choose an angle grinder for work in the country
Agree, cutting a metal pipe with a hacksaw is quite difficult and time-consuming. It is best for these purposes, of course, to use an angle grinder or, in another way, an angle grinder. It is an electrical tool that is used for grinding and cutting a wide variety of hard materials: stone, as well as concrete, metal and others. The name of the angle grinder was attached to this tool back in the days of the Soviet Union, since these machines were made and imported from Bulgaria.
Today, an angle grinder is a shell that houses an electric motor. The latter, in turn, is associated with a rotating disc, on which attachments are attached, designed for certain works. How to choose the right tool for performing diverse work in the house and in the country (see)?
Anti-vibration properties are possessed by all the same handles capable of damping up to 80% vibrations. Opt for rubberized, slightly pliable handles. Hard plastic handles are extremely merciless to the wrist joints, and you won’t work with such a tool for a long time. However, if you need an angle grinder for one-time operations, it is permissible to reconcile with this drawback.
This parameter determines the performance of the tool, the stability of its work under loads. Manufacturers equip angle grinders with motors from 0.5 to 2.6 kW. For home use, a power of 0.6-1 kW will be enough, but if it is planned to use heavy wheels (large diameter or thickness), then a low-power angle grinder will not be able to provide the declared rotation speed. Note that horsepower is not related to the maximum disc diameter and an angle grinder with a large disc may well be underpowered.