Clear all filters
- Drills (294)
- Abrasive wheels (177)
- Bits (75)
- Tool accessories (67)
- Saw blades (65)
- Reels, fishing line for trimmer (60)
- Jigsaws for jigsaws (41)
- Pneumatic tools and accessories (26)
- Machine oils (25)
- Mixer heads (13)
- Cartridges for a drill (13)
- Saw chains (13)
- Drill bits (10)
- Glue sticks for the gun (10)
- Abrasive belts (8)
- Spark plugs for engines (8)
- Tires for a saw (7)
- Knives for plane (4)
- Hole Saws (4)
- Tool Holders (3)
- Angle Grinders (75)
- Cordless Drills / Screwdrivers (65)
- saws (56)
- Drills (47)
- Hammers (44)
- Heat guns (42)
- Surface Grinding Machines (27)
- Electric fretsaw (26)
- Grinding devices (24)
- Network Drills and Screwdrivers (22)
- Laser levels, rangefinders (21)
- Concrete Mixers (19)
- Milling cutters (19)
- Electric Plane (18)
- Airbrushes (13)
- Apparatus for welding of plastic pipes (12)
- Building hair dryers (11)
- Electric Screwdrivers (8)
- Electric Guns (8)
- Belt Sanders (8)
- Drilling machines (7)
- Polishers (6)
- Electric Tile Cutters (4)
- Planer-planers (2)
- Jackhammers (1)
- Construction mixers (1)
- Detectors, pyrometers (1)
- Electric shears (1)
- Electrodes (83)
- Welding machines (58)
- Welder Masks (30)
- Components for welding (25)
- Trimmers (38)
- Chainsaws (34)
- Lawn Mowers (21)
- Petrol cultivators (16)
- Snowblowers (14)
- Other gardening equipment (13)
- Gas Drills (4)
- Generators (43)
- Compressors (22)
- Voltage Regulators (13)
- Pressure Washers (21)
- Construction vacuum cleaners, blowers (14)
- High pressure washer accessories (13)
- Washing machines (1)
- Popular up
- Popular up
- Price ascending
- Price Descending  ↓
- New items first  ↓
- Show by: 15
What kind of fishing line for a trimmer to choose
Nylon fishing line is a consumable for garden trimmers. Not only the result of work, but also the tool life depends on it.
The first thing you need to pay attention to when choosing is the diameter of the string. This parameter is indicated in the user manual supplied with the trimmer. The more powerful the device, the thicker the diameter of the equipment used. Using fishing line of the wrong diameter increases the load on the engine and leads to its accelerated wear.
The next significant aspect is the section. On the cut line can be in the form of a circle, polygon or asterisk. The round fishing line is universal and is used for a wide range of tasks. The twisted variety is less noisy, but consumed faster.
The square section is suitable for mowing plants with hard stems, thick weeds. An asterisk-shaped section means the highest degree of efficiency and processing speed. Such a fishing line will help to quickly cope even with dense thickets. Its only negative is its relatively quick wear.
How to wind a line onto a trim reel
Coil– a device that is located inside the working part of the trimmer. To determine the required length of the fishing line, wind it inside the reel until the general level is equal to the side ledges, but does not exceed them. Fold the prepared line of fishing line in half. At the same time, one end of it should protrude 10-15 cm. Take the second end and bend it in half. Insert the resulting loop into the recess of the coil. Inspect the reel and find the sign indicating the correct direction of winding. Carefully lay the fishing line, each part of it must pass along its groove. After the main part is tucked into the coil, output its ends into the holes on the side wall. After that, the coil can be installed in the drum. If necessary, trim the ends of the fishing line and place the assembled drum in the trimmer.
The trimmer, whether it is gasoline or electric, is the only right solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places that cannot be handled by a wheeled lawnmower. As a cutting tool, trimmers use metal knives or a special fishing line, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, the trimmer heads during operation over time become unusable. Some malfunctions can be eliminated with your own hands, and some require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
Trimmer Coil Device
Mowing heads for trimmers come in many designs. both simple and complex. The picture below shows semi-automatic trimmer head from the Husqvarna lawn mowers (Husqvarna) disassembled.
Video: Why does the fishing line fly out of the trimmer coil
This type of head is present in the configuration of most lawnmowers and trimmers, such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The mower head is quite simple. It consists of the following details:
- mowing head base;
- button for semi-automatic cord feeding;
- a bobbin (reel) into which the fishing line is refueled;
- eyes. through them the fishing line comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- fishing line (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow changing the length of the fishing line in semi-automatic mode (after pressing the button). In the event of a break in the cord, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Basic coil faults
Trimmer users and lawn mowers often encounter a problem with a semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions can be as follows:
- the fishing line does not automatically extend;
- the cord spontaneously exits the coil.
The fishing line does not automatically extend
If the line does not lengthen with a light touch of the trimmer coil button on the ground, the reasons for this may be as follows.
Option 1. a bite occurred, i.e. clamping cord between turns. This problem usually occurs if the user wound the fishing line on the reel unevenly, with the intersection of turns, or wound it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to drag out, as a result of which it is possible to twist the fishing line. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2. too short ends protrude from the head. The fishing line may not come out when it hits the ground, if its ends protruding from the head are of insufficient length (short). In this case, centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is necessary to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull out the fishing line manually by first pressing the button.
Option 3. fishing line soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to stop and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the coil during continuous operation of the unit, impact of fishing line on solid objects.
- In the first case, the cord of third-party manufacturers can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that do not withstand mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, preference should be given to “branded” fishing lines.
- But, if you nevertheless acquired a fishing line of unknown quality, and it often gets soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after refueling the cord into a coil, moisten it either silicone grease (from spray can), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of soldering between each other turns of fishing line.
- Also, the fishing line can be soldered if during mowing it hits a solid object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.). As a result of this, it stretches a little and is pulled back into the head at high speed. The cord heats up due to friction, and its coils stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this malfunction is to open the trimmer coil and rewind the fishing line.
Cord spontaneously lengthens
There are situations when the trimmer user notices very fast consumption of fishing line. However, he never hit a button on the ground to lengthen the fishing line. The reason that the fishing line spontaneously lengthens, cutting off a special knife on the casing of the device, can serve lack of spring in the mowing head. Often, novice users of mowers, trying to charge the fishing line into a reel, forget to install the hold-down spring in the head, or even lose it when the lid is opened, and in the future, they are not even aware of its existence.
How to remove the reel and replace the fishing line
Owners of trimmers, mostly novices, are confused, bordering on panic when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or fishing line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To prevent this, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before putting the fishing line into the reel, turn off the engine of the lawn mowers or de-energize the trimmer to avoid injuries that might occur if the cutting tool is accidentally started to rotate.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to gear shaft. To do this, the shaft must be locked by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axis, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should know that the thread on the shaft is left. Therefore, twist the trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached on clips. To remove it, you will need to drown these clips into the body, squeezing the edges of the lid. If your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, disassembling the nozzle should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut the required amount of fishing line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the diameter specified in the tool manual. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum diameter of the fishing line, as this will lead to increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
- Find the middle of the cord segment, folding it in half. You will get a loop.
- Cut through the coils special grooves (there may be holes). Insert a loop from the fishing line into this groove.
- Wind the line onto the reel by turning it counterclockwise. It is necessary to refuel the cord as evenly as possible, the turns should lie down without overlapping and with good tension. When the winding is finished, leave the free ends of the fishing line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves located on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Before you finally assemble the nozzle, do not forget insert spring and washer (if available). Install the coil in the housing, and thread the ends of the cord through holes or eyes.
- Put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the gearbox shaft, also locking it with a screwdriver. Spin the trimmer coil to the left (against the clockwise arrow).
Is it possible to make a coil on a trimmer with your own hands
- Take a piece of plywood or textolite and draw a circle on it with a diameter of about 14 cm.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or hacksaw for metal.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disk that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Before installing the disk on the shaft, do not forget to put the washer on it.
- On the edges of the disk, you can screw small corners or make 1-2 holes on opposite sides. They will serve to refuel fishing lines in them.
- To fix the fishing line, several screws can be screwed into the plywood.
Such a homemade mowing nozzle is mounted on a shaft with a nut. Tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft will not work. To replace the cord, it will be enough to release the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it again.
Also, a mowing nozzle for attaching fishing line to it can be made from a metal sheet. How to do this, you can understand from the next video.